Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

shellie

VIP Member
Very interesting. I'm a child of the 80s but grew up watching Steptoe both on repeats and VHS.
On the perv rumours, I tend to give Wilfrid Brambell the benefit of the doubt as I recall the reported allegation sounded murky and distant. Arthur Mullard I do believe was a horrible bastard and was guilty.
I think DJ has a dark side and that it will be revealed after he dies. I loved OFAH, grew up watching it.

Sounds like a very bad sign of his character.
I grew up watching DJ and I hope to god the stuff I have read is just people making it up. The one thing that gives me cause for concern is the things he is now coming out with as if he feels because of who he is, no one will care. More so since the guy who investigated Saville did say there were two other huge names out there he knows are guilty but they are untouchable because of who they are. He gave the names to the police who looked into it but since no one is willing to say anything or come forward, nothing can be done. He thinks like Saville, it will only be when they die that people will feel it's okay to tell their stories but it will be too late to do anything about it.

Reactions: 2
I've never seen any evidence that Shirley Bassey's daughter Samantha was a prostitute.
She was found in the River Avon below the Clifton Suspension Bridge. The official verdict was accidental death, though there have been rumours of suicide or murder. Dame Shirley has never accepted the verdict and claims that, because there were no broken bones, she could not have fallen off the bridge.

• Sad

LucyEyelesbarrow

VIP Member
Remember the actress Dame Flora Robson?I always liked her.
Yes she's in one of the Margaret Rutherford Marples and could also be menacing too.

This reminds me of see if I can find a book I think I still have called Dames of the Theatre. It covered a number of early to mid 20th century addresses.

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
I love the Hayley Mills film.

Norman Wisdom gives me the creeps in an odd way though, I just don't like the infantilisation in his films.
As a older person, yes I got/ get that very much. But as a neglected child in the 50s/60s I felt very relatable to his character.

Flojo89

Yes and forced on diets etc.Just total vile abuse.She was told what she could eat and what she couldn’t along with drugs.
I don’t think it’s much easier for actresses now tbh. As bad as the studio system could be, actors had at least some guarantee of work and security.

Think I must order it,I always loved him,so classy.
I keep meaning to read this,I’ve heard such great things about it.
I read Errol Flynns autobiography recently and stayed up until 2am when my eyes finally gave out with it lol. I don’t think there’s a work of fiction that could match the adventures that man had. It also gave me a massive appreciation for antibiotics 🫣

Donnavanessa

VIP Member
I think a big issue with modern historical programmes is the actors and actresses invariably have had work done and it looks like an anachronism. I hate to say it but often it’s the ladies that are the worst offenders - I couldn’t watch the 10 Pound Poms because Michelle Keegan has so much obvious plastic surgery along with perfect teeth and eyebrows that aren’t of that period. Emily Blunt is verging on going to OTT, in some scenes in The English it was so obvious she had fillers.
You’re absolutely right. I loved The English and am a big fan of Emily Blunt but her face looks very different of late.