Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Boogs

VIP Member
I was expecting to be laughing loads reading the book but I actually felt really sad. Her attitude towards sex is quite concerning and I think there is a lot of stuff she has suppressed.

Reactions: 2

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
When I was a tiny child I had a tendancy to SHOUT (I'm also quite deaf so it's unsurprising), my mum and dad always said I was like Peggy Mount. Can you recommend anything she's been in, I honestly don't think I've seen anything she's been in other than Oliver, and I can't remember Mrs Bumble in that?
wasn't she in a series where she was a detective type person?

House of Tea

VIP Member
See I think I’m in the minority here because this I don’t mind unless they are doing a documentary (like claiming Cleopatra was black). But then again if a very obvious transgender person was playing a character I would find that very hard to watch and engage with. I guess we all have our own preferences!
It’s all about staying in the story for me. We are supposed to say, well actors can play anybody, their role is to shapeshift. Glenda Jackson played Hamlet etc. However, that might be a rarefied position those in the arts can reach, but for the average Joe viewer who just wants to immerse themselves in a story, it is introducing another element that detracts from the story. I would choose not to see a woman playing Hamlet on stage, but in tv series you can be watching an historical series and suddenly there is a jolt because the casting director has added in someone who doesn’t fit the character.

Donnavanessa

VIP Member
I don’t know much apart from the basics- what do you think about his father’s death, was he involved? Do you think Kenneth himself died by suicide?
His father took his own life. He and Kenneth were not close but nothing to suggest that he was involved from what I’ve understood and read.

Oh - that’s a hard one - he certainly wrote about suicide - but he was such a complex character it’s hard to say. I would highly recommend reading his diaries if you’re interested in finding more out about him. They are quite revealing.

MrsBsDayOff

VIP Member
Lynne Frederick's pretty much forgotten. Not a very good actress imo, but she had been married to Peter Sellers and David Frost. So a little surprising.

View attachment 1601037

Ok, so a little more reading and I discover the public turned on her after Sellers died, his son (her step son) claimed she 'stole' the children's inheritance. She was blacklisted too. So, that explains it.
I watched the movie Voyage of the Damned a year or two ago and furiously googled Lynne after it. She was super pretty wasn't she? You're right though, not a great actress.

She disappeared from the spotlight in the mid 80s and had addiction issues. Her cause of death doesn't seem 100pc clear based on the info available online.

The Sellers family had nothing good to say about her, although they were biased re the inheritance issue. Be interesting to hear perspectives of others who knew her to see did she actually deserve the reputation she ended up with (a greedy moneygrabber, basically)

Donnavanessa

VIP Member
Yes she is although I can't find much recent information online, hope she's doing well. She was gorgeous
Just had a quick Google - like you said not much info on her. On wiki it said she retired from the music business in 2015 and she’s in her mid-70s now.

Jerry Garcia

Chatty Member
I love Passport to Pimlico, The Maggie, Whisky Galore and many more. Google Withers was in a good one about WW2 but I've forgotten title. They even did a horror, Dead of Night
She was in a brilliant kitchen sink drama, It Always Rains in Sunday which was ( finally) repeated recently on TCM

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
He was perfect when younger. Even when I found out he was gay I still adored him and watched all his films. Pity he has gone to seed now with too much surgery 😐
Read his Autobiography (first one) it was brilliant I thought.Love that film,see it many years ago.