Driving - Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also hate when there’s a bus ahead of me. I never know whether to go around when it stops or just wait. Usually I just wait it out but then there’s more and more cars stopping behind me 😫 so stressful!!
I go by indicators and whether I can see anyone getting off or on. If they're indicating right I always let them go, otherwise overtake if it's safe.

Reactions: 1
I hate overtaking cyclists. I give them the full lane I can’t just pass normally like everyone else.
Yeah , you're supposed to give them as much space as a car would need, everyone else does it wrong when they squeeze past a cyclist.

Reactions: 4
I just hate people who sit right on your arse when you are going the speed limit!! Even if I’m doing slightly under just bleeping overtake! Please don’t sit right on my arse making me feel nervous because 9/10 I’m going to go even slower 🤣 I’d rather you die on the roads going too fast than me so do whatever you want.

Reactions: 13
I drove to our holiday and back and it was absolutely fine, no panic, no stress even when I took a wrong turn. I want every drive to be like that. Definitely a confidence boost and good to get my car on the motorway (diesel) to give it a good clear out

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I feel your pain but I am a new driver. It took me a year to learn, originally I was fine, excited to learn and a confident learner and driver, just two weeks before I was to take my test, someone smacked into the back of me when I was stationary at an island. It’s absolutely destroyed me, it took me an additional 6 months to pass and severe anxiety since, I can literally drive regular routes - school run, friends, supermarket, parents anything else I feel like I can’t breathe. It’s horrible. I was so looking forward to the freedom it would give me and now I hate it

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Ah, I have found my people! Passed my test nearly 10 years ago after over 40 lessons and on my fourth attempt. Drove only if I had to but then had to get my own car after we moved house and I became pregnant. The car lot wouldn't let both my husband and I go out at the same time for a test drive. I was so anxious driving with a stranger in the car that I refused to do it. So we bought my first car without me having ever driven it 😱

Absolutely hate driving and am in the middle of learning a new route thanks to changing jobs. It involves lots of motorway driving at rush hour, both morning and evening. Part of my route involves navigating a roundabout where there's almost an accident every week, mostly with drivers bombing 70mph down the dual carriageway and somehow missing all the signs indicating there's a roundabout up ahead. Lately, I genuinely feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when I drive on it (according to the local Facebook group, I'm not the only person that feels that way!).

I've been reading through these posts and got some excellent tips on how to manage my anxiety. I'm embarrassed to say that I partly turned down a job interview as I looked up the destination on Google Maps, which revealed it was all tight, on street parking with no handy large supermarket car park nearby 🙈

For me, I loathe being on the motorway when it's coming up to a slip road especially one on my commute home. The outside lane is full of arseholes speeding past so you can't move over. If you slow down to allow traffic to enter the motorway then you run the risk of causing a pile up. This is a particularly bad one with next to no visibility until the very last second. I usually hold my breath when I drive past 🤦 I've looked up the Highway Code and it does state that drivers on the slip road have no automatic right of way. But fat lot of good that does you when one tries to squeeze into a tiny gap in front of you.

My partner keeps telling me that I have road rage but I think it's because I have a lower capacity for arseholes than he does 😂 He's also been driving for nearly 20 years so can't really complain too much.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m going to be driving on the motorway during the day on my own for the first time tomorrow. I usually only do trips on the motorway after 9pm when it’s quiet as I absolutely hate joining. I am bricking it, I always worry that I won’t be able to join or will mistime it through panic and cause an accident, even the thought of mildly pissing someone off gives me the fear 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Ah, I have found my people! Passed my test nearly 10 years ago after over 40 lessons and on my fourth attempt. Drove only if I had to but then had to get my own car after we moved house and I became pregnant. The car lot wouldn't let both my husband and I go out at the same time for a test drive. I was so anxious driving with a stranger in the car that I refused to do it. So we bought my first car without me having ever driven it 😱

Absolutely hate driving and am in the middle of learning a new route thanks to changing jobs. It involves lots of motorway driving at rush hour, both morning and evening. Part of my route involves navigating a roundabout where there's almost an accident every week, mostly with drivers bombing 70mph down the dual carriageway and somehow missing all the signs indicating there's a roundabout up ahead. Lately, I genuinely feel like I'm taking my life in my hands when I drive on it (according to the local Facebook group, I'm not the only person that feels that way!).

I've been reading through these posts and got some excellent tips on how to manage my anxiety. I'm embarrassed to say that I partly turned down a job interview as I looked up the destination on Google Maps, which revealed it was all tight, on street parking with no handy large supermarket car park nearby 🙈

For me, I loathe being on the motorway when it's coming up to a slip road especially one on my commute home. The outside lane is full of arseholes speeding past so you can't move over. If you slow down to allow traffic to enter the motorway then you run the risk of causing a pile up. This is a particularly bad one with next to no visibility until the very last second. I usually hold my breath when I drive past 🤦 I've looked up the Highway Code and it does state that drivers on the slip road have no automatic right of way. But fat lot of good that does you when one tries to squeeze into a tiny gap in front of you.

My partner keeps telling me that I have road rage but I think it's because I have a lower capacity for arseholes than he does 😂 He's also been driving for nearly 20 years so can't really complain too much.
I hate being on the motorway when coming up to a slip road and a line of cars want to merge. I never know whether I should hold back or not. I know you’re supposed to move over but on the m62 near me it’s busy constantly and people drive so bloody fast in the outside lane and I think my car would blow up if I went over 80mph.

Reactions: 3
I’m going to be driving on the motorway during the day on my own for the first time tomorrow. I usually only do trips on the motorway after 9pm when it’s quiet as I absolutely hate joining. I am bricking it, I always worry that I won’t be able to join or will mistime it through panic and cause an accident, even the thought of mildly pissing someone off gives me the fear 😂
You've got this 👍 💪 🙌 x

I am the exact same with the motorway or even a dual carriageway with slip roads. I panic about joining and merging and constantly worry I need to be in a different lane. We live close to the m6 and I won't drive on it as I am so terrified.
I drove to Stoke on Trent the other week and there was 3 or 4 big dual carriageways which all led to the motorway, even though Google maps was set to avoid motorway I was terrified I would take the wrong lane and end up accidentally on the motorway!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
This is my worst nightmare! Were you ok? Did it help cure your aversion to motorways?
It was actually fine! I saw the blue sign and my heart literally stopped (had to turn my music all the way down and focus), luckily it was fairly quiet so had no issues merging or anything. I stayed in the left lane and took the first exit off, I actually think it’s helped! I wouldn’t be as scared if I had to do it again - this was my first time on a motorway baring in mind 🤦🏼‍♀️ still got a fear though

I came to a massive roundabout after (with about 5 lanes) which was 10x harder but I did it, I was probably in the wrong lane but luckily there was only a few cars about 🤣 10/10 do not reccomend, I need a boyfriend to drive me about… passenger princess life is the life for me

• Heart
Reactions: 13
It was actually fine! I saw the blue sign and my heart literally stopped (had to turn my music all the way down and focus), luckily it was fairly quiet so had no issues merging or anything. I stayed in the left lane and took the first exit off, I actually think it’s helped! I wouldn’t be as scared if I had to do it again - this was my first time on a motorway baring in mind 🤦🏼‍♀️ still got a fear though

I came to a massive roundabout after (with about 5 lanes) which was 10x harder but I did it, I was probably in the wrong lane but luckily there was only a few cars about 🤣 10/10 do not reccomend, I need a boyfriend to drive me about… passenger princess life is the life for me
Honestly I’m gutted I gave up my passenger princess life and got a car 😂my boyfriend gives me the old ‘you’ve got a car now’ line on the daily.

You did amazing getting on the motorway, sometimes it happening by accident can be the best thing to kick start actually being comfortable going on them. You handled it well.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Beginning of this year someone in the extended family passed away after being very ill for a while. The wife is since then basically stuck at home - the daughter told me that she hasn't driven for around forty years (and she's now in heir late seventies). If she can't reach it by walking, she's relying help from family and the daughter lives a couple of hours away and obviously can't come very often.

I said to my partner that I don't want to end up like that. While I really don't enjoy driving, I don't want to become stuck at home, hoping for friendly neighbors to drive me around to places I can't reach on my own anymore. I actually started looking at small cars, like the VW up I find so cute. Economically it makes zero sense for us to own two cars, but I said it would be more like an investment in myself as I believe I'd feel more comfortable in driving a small car. My partner was actually very understanding about it, but said I could try the big car again a couple of times before we might get a second one. The prices are quite high, and there's hardly anything on the market, so it's not like any car would be here tomorrow....
Anyways, I don't even really want more cars on the streets and I don't believe in driving everywhere (like my MIL seems to do :censored: ), but I do think that I need more regular practice to avoid a situation where I genuinely can't even learn anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Anyways, I don't even really want more cars on the streets and I don't believe in driving everywhere (like my MIL seems to do :censored: ), but I do think that I need more regular practice to avoid a situation where I genuinely can't even learn anymore.
I'm in a similar position. Ideally I wouldn't drive anywhere because of environmental considerations, but it's just not practical where there's no public transport and occasional driving isn't doing anything for my skill level. I think in the summer I'm going to try driving at least once per week.

I still remember my first time on the motorway after I passed my test. I was really nervous, because I'd obviously never driven on one before and then I was alone in the car on a busy road.

But I was fine and found I enjoyed it because it's actually quite straightforward. You just have to watch out for last minute lane changers and most of them tend to drive like maniacs down the outside lane anyway.

I'd driven on plenty of dual carriageways when learning and a motorway is really just the same but with one or two more lanes.

I started learning before the pandemic and got close to taking my test but put it on hold because there were no tests available!
It's been about 2 years and I know the waiting lists are still huge so I'm thinking of forking out for an intensive driving course. But I wasn't the best driver and very unconfident so I don't want to spend all that money and then fail 🙈 Even if I passed I don't know if I would feel confident enough to drive by myself at all.
I have a dream of going on a solo road trip round Tuscany I just don't know how realistic it is 😅

Ok guys, it's finally happened. I've been asked to take my child's friend to a social event. It's a venue I've been to before but need to double check the route on Google Maps tonight.

We've also just switched my 5yo from ERF to FF in my car which I'm also stressed about. I could have said no but I don't want my anxiety to stop Big Biscuit going places with his pals.

I'm planning to play some bland guitar pop to keep me calm but any tips to not worry about driving would be appreciated.

• Heart
Does anyone here have an issue with driving a little too close to the left? I started learning to drive in 2019, then the pandemic hit and I gave it up. Trying to pick it back up again but my anxiety is terrible. Doesn't help that my partner is a very nervous passenger. He tells me I'm too close to the left & this is what happened when I started driving it took me months to get my road positioning correct. Just wondering how I can fix it sooner than that. Thanks everyone!

• Heart