Driving - Anxiety

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To make myself sound slightly less useless…my route to work is about 20 minutes and involves 8 roundabouts, some of which are really tricky, nasty ones. I swear I am the BEST person ever at driving that route 😂😂 I absolutely slay those roundabouts every time and people often cock them up. But it’s only because I know it really well.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
To make myself sound slightly less useless…my route to work is about 20 minutes and involves 8 roundabouts, some of which are really tricky, nasty ones. I swear I am the BEST person ever at driving that route 😂😂 I absolutely slay those roundabouts every time and people often cock them up. But it’s only because I know it really well.
And this is exactly the solution to nearly all of the issues that posters have mentioned on this thread...it's all about familiarity, and feeling comfortable when driving a certain route, or performing a particular manoeuvre.
My final driving instructor (of 3!) was great, we were a similar age, we got on really well, we had the same sense of humour. He used to swear at me if I did something silly, we would laugh at the other learners, I used to look forward to our lessons, even though I was quite often terrified too. But when I was practising the "reversing round a corner" manoeuvre, I could never get it right. He actually said to me "Oh god, you're worse than my missus, lets hope it doesn't come up in your test" (it didn't). I know that he was joking and that he would have been horrified if he thought that I took it to heart, but it was probably around 8-10 years before I really had the confidence to reverse into parking spaces. The first time that I actually reversed around a corner, I hit a bollard, which didn't help! 🥴. Now that I do it regularly, it doesn't bother me and it's much easier to reverse into a car park space, than to have to reverse out of it.

I think the fear of getting lost is a bit of a thing with women in particular. We don't have confidence in our map-reading skills, (after decades of being told that "women can't read maps" 🙄) and we often feel vulnerable in unfamiliar places, especially if we have our children with us. Drivers today can be very aggressive, you only have to hesitate for a second to try to get your bearings, and some twit in a BMW is beeping at you from behind. Parking can be very difficult in lots of places, having to drive around a unfamiliar area to find a space can be extremely stressful. The Google maps street view is really helpful for planning an unfamiliar route, you can use "landmarks" to help you familiarise yourself with a new area. I've done the sticky label thing too, even when going to my sister's ("get off motorway, turn RIGHT AT ROUNDABOUT" 🤣)

Practise those manoeuvres, plan that route. And just go out and do it. If you have a meltdown, you can just turn around and go home.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This is me! I passed my test when I was heavily pregnant a couple years back, and I used that as an excuse not to drive after I passed! Now it’s got to the point I won’t drive on the motorway, or go anywhere outside of my time. I have a nice big safe car but too scared to go anywhere far in it. Makes me feel tit tbh! Like I can’t take my kids to nice places. My confidence will go up then something will happen and I’m back to square one.

Reactions: 7
I've found my people! Honestly reading this is so reassuring that it's not just me. I basically drive from my house to the three closest supermarkets and that's it. I once cried in a Tesco carpark while driving round and round it trying to find a space I could manage to park in (i.e by driving straight into it.)

I feel so useless and annoyed with myself. I know I just need to get out there and do it but I'm always putting it off to next week, month, year etc. 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Might have to make a 2 hour journey in a few weeks and I’m absolutely shitting myself! Furthest I’ve gone is 20 miles out of my town 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 2
The solution for me was get a faster more aggressive looking car. I used to have a little car and it had very poor acceleration to the point pulling away from roundabouts or junctions scared me no end. Rush hour would be frightening. I'd put my foot down to pull out and there was this seemingly endless lag where nothing happened! Every day I'd arrive at my destination soaked in perspiration. Driving was like going to war.
I know the people are going to go nuts about climate stuffs and chelsea tractors but the range rover sport is the best car on the road. It's rapid, pulls away like a train and looks so striking, many just get out of the way when they see the grills and daytime running lights in their rear view mirror. If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Ah guys! I wish I'd had so many replies when I first started my thread! It's amazing to see there are so many people who feel the same as me. As I said, I did do my drive on Saturday and I won't lie, I absolutely hated it, but I was proud of myself for doing it.
I do tend to think I've got worse since I've had children too, I'm not sure why but it definitely feels worse since I've had the kids.
It's just the fear of the unknown roads for me. For my Saturday trip I looked at Google maps steps about 30 times, and I thought I had memorised the road layout but when I had to merge onto the slip roads and carriageways, it was daunting and there seemed so many more little slip roads off it than I remembered! I was terrified I would merge off where I shouldn't or cut someone up. I was counting the miles down on my phone!
I am not sure I will ever be a confident driver outside of my comfort zone to honest!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Well done, you should feel proud of yourself! Put yourself out of your comfort zone occasionally you will gain confidence. As I said I didn't drive for nearly 10 years and found myself driving 25 miles each way due to redeploying. I now work 2 - 3 days in different locations. Tomorrow I have to get to a regular location but the hill I would usually take is closed for 6 months as it is subsiding and will,take all the traffic when the other major route undergoes big changes involving the levelling of a pub! The official diversion is 14 miles each way for a 17 mile trip - I have worked out a 5 mile diversion but don't know the roads, I will leave early but haven't driven those roads before. Tomorrow will be interesting but OK!

• Heart
I don't know if this helps anyone but there are two things that help me with driving.

One is using Google maps on my phone to give me directions out loud as I go. I find it really calming as I don't have to think and it's like having a friend helping you out. Even if I know where I'm going I put her on and it really does help.

The second is doing a running commentary. It's an advanced driving technique I think. You basically say out loud everything that's going on and what you see. Here's a link that explains it:

Something about it overrides the panicked part of your brain and helps you to concentrate. It engages the logical part of your mind. I totally recommend it. Even if you feel slightly stupid doing it on your own, no one can tell!

• Heart
IThe second is doing a running commentary. It's an advanced driving technique I think. You basically say out loud everything that's going on and what you see. Here's a link that explains it:

Something about it overrides the panicked part of your brain and helps you to concentrate. It engages the logical part of your mind. I totally recommend it. Even if you feel slightly stupid doing it on your own, no one can tell!
this helped me MASSIVELY when my hit and run ocd was at its worst.

i never said it out loud but i would pretend that i had a passenger in the car and, in my head, would basically narrate what i was doing to “them”. like you say, it really helped override the panic and also made me focus on the fact that nothing really was going as “wrong” as i thought it was.

Reactions: 3
I have found what really helps me is using the ‘steps’ feature on google maps - it shows you every single step of the journey through street view. Really helps me with the anxiety of not knowing what Lane to be in or what exit to take on a roundabout. I know it’s quite extreme if you are doing a 2 hour journey for example but definitely helps ease that anxiety (a little bit).
I think a lot of people have driving anxieties and it's more common than thought.

Lanes and roundabouts are my worst enemy.
I cannot for the life of me get my head around the system and whenever I think I've got it, I hit an anomaly.

I also MASSIVELY suck at following google maps.
I try drive myself to different supermarkets for a bit of practice, but every single time I take a wrong turn somewhere and i'm 20 minutes in the wrong direction.

I've found myself down multiple one way streets with people flashing me to turn around and sat there nodding and waving embarrassed.

Well done on getting the drive done!

I have a bit of driving anxiety too, after years of not driving at all. I pretty much go somewhere completely new every time I drive, so I actually find it more stressful driving around my town when it's busy.

I'm sure driving was easier when I was a teenager. So many aggressive lunatics around. It's not a fun activity anymore.

Reactions: 3
this helped me MASSIVELY when my hit and run ocd was at its worst.

i never said it out loud but i would pretend that i had a passenger in the car and, in my head, would basically narrate what i was doing to “them”. like you say, it really helped override the panic and also made me focus on the fact that nothing really was going as “wrong” as i thought it was.
Never thought about doing it in my head 😂 I just blather away to myself until I get where I'm going haha!

Joining here, you are my people!

I got my license at 17, and even had a car for a couple of years between 19 and 25, but never was a confident driver and avoided the Autobahn at all costs and generally found excuses not to drive.
Sold the car at 25 and didn't drive for several years at all, the thought alone was uncomfortable and it also affected me as a passenger where I got really really tense throughout the entire drive and I think once I had something like a panic attack.
We moved in 2021 and some places I could easily reach by walking a few minutes were now an hour away by bus and I thought that it was just stupid that I couldn't even drive this very familiar route of 5km. But I couldn't.
I contacted a driving school and explained my problem and they were very nice about it and said it's not uncommon at all. They booked me with a really cute grandpa that did driving lessons "on the side" - he was widowed and needed something to pass the time and went back to his old job of being an instructor. He was kind and understanding and after 4 lessons I felt a lot better already!

Since I don't want to drive my boyfriend's car I got myself a membership of a ride share. But of a pain to walk to the station to get to the car, but I'm much more comfortable at driving it, as it's smaller.

The first couple of times I booked the car I swear I was awake half of the night being anxious about the route and going through everything in my head! It got better gradually, but I only kept driving this familiar route. And then the last time I had the car, I was amazing - I decided that I really needed to go shopping and simply drove across the big, daunting crossing :ROFLMAO: it's still a route I know, but never drove there and I was always a bit afraid of the thing. Sounds sooo stupid, but I think people with driving anxiety understand it. I was ridiculously proud of myself afterward. Talked in my head the entire time about which lane I needed to pick and all that, I also find it really helps.

Like stated above, a lot is about familiarity and I don't even think about driving that one 5km route at all anymore the day before, it's okay now. I still need to work my courage up to unfamiliar routes and the Autobahn again. Too many insane drivers on there...

Reactions: 7
I hate driving. I avoid it when I can because I would beat myself up over any mistake I make. I passed in my early 30’s in a small town and drove very little. Wish I’d passed much younger tbh. Then I moved to Leeds and found it even scarier, people are more aggressive drivers here and there’s an horrible inner city motorway.
I find any motorway so difficult which sounds pathetic. Too fast and too much going on. Like a sensory overload if there’s more than 3 lanes.
I also hate parking and struggle in busy supermarkets. The lanes and bays don’t seem wide enough to me cos of my crap spatial awareness.

• Heart
:eek: The car I normally book via the rideshare was in an accident so they called me that I couldn't have it tomorrow. I have an appointment I can't move well (would cost me ~120€ since it's a "late cancellation"), and need a car to get there in time, so they booked me in for the next best station.
Guys, I'm in a slight panic over it, I never drove from there, I'm not familiar with the way and my biggest worry is driving off the parking lot, as it involves a scary crossing. I might go there later today just to look around and prep myself :censored: The way itself should be fine, but the unfamiliarity got me.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
:eek: The car I normally book via the rideshare was in an accident so they called me that I couldn't have it tomorrow. I have an appointment I can't move well (would cost me ~120€ since it's a "late cancellation"), and need a car to get there in time, so they booked me in for the next best station.
Guys, I'm in a slight panic over it, I never drove from there, I'm not familiar with the way and my biggest worry is driving off the parking lot, as it involves a scary crossing. I might go there later today just to look around and prep myself :censored: The way itself should be fine, but the unfamiliarity got me.
Last time you drove you surprised yourself, I believe in you!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Aww, thanks @J3N1800 and @jawidjanqndn! Yeah, that experience from the last time is actually what made me think that I could wing it in the first place. Good think I drove to that stupid Aldi, I'd be even more nervous otherwise!

• Heart
Reactions: 6