Dr Jessica Taylor #4 Consent is for losers, not for me. Ignore that journalist spilling the tea.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I absolutely do not believe she suffered abuse as a teenager. Her whole life is a huge lie, why would this one aspect be the truth.
I’ll be honest, as much as I believe she lies about a lot of things, I’m uncomfortable with us starting to attack the legitimacy of her claims of abuse suffered when she was a teenager. I think it could make others feel they wouldn’t be believed.

What I will say is, my experiences of being a teenager that developed early, and then a grown woman in this world, has been littered with men feeling they have the right to touch me, shout sexual remarks, force themselves on me and generally fail to understand the meaning of the word “no”. I think most woman would have the same experience. The sad truth is this is part of being a woman - it shouldn’t be, but this is why the feminist movement is needed. Now the difference is I haven’t made a career of talking about it or suggesting that I’m different from everyone else, that my experiences have been “worse” than yours. And that’s the issue here - not whether or not what she says about teenage abuse is true (because on the balance of probabilities it probably is) - that she invites people hero worshipping her like her experiences have been worse, her journey to success harder, and her “success” unachievable for the rest of us. And then if anyone dares to hint at the kind of thing I just said, they’re called “jealous”.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
And that’s the issue here - not whether or not what she says about teenage abuse is true (because on the balance of probabilities it probably is) - that she invites people hero worshipping her like her experiences have been worse, her journey to success harder, and her “success” unachievable for the rest of us. And then if anyone dares to hint at the kind of thing I just said, they’re called “jealous”.
I agree with that and her being an abuse survivor makes the way she treats others worse in some ways. She knows what someone like Sally Ann has gone through yet thinks it is OK to try to intimidate SA and call her a liar?

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I agree with that and her being an abuse survivor makes the way she treats others worse in some ways. She knows what someone like Sally Ann has gone through yet thinks it is OK to try to intimidate SA and call her a liar?
Exactly this 👆🏼 which is the biggest tell of all that she’s a narcissist.

I'm also uncomfortable with disputing someone's account of experiencing abuse, especially considering what has happened historically, combined with the fact that it is unfortunately extremely common.

What I will say though is that experiencing CSA covers a multitude of types of abuse and earlier onset, number and types of abuse and number of perpetrators etc, obviously exacerbates the impact. As far as I know, Jess has talked about being victimised by 1 man, as a teenager. She cannot know what it's like to have been abused as a young child by multiple people and the devastating impact of such violations. Claiming to speak on behalf of all victims is overstepping the mark in a number of ways.

Jess is clearly limited in her understanding as evidenced by her saying that flashbacks are just ordinary memories. If she had ever experienced them she'd know that simply isn't the case. There's also a vast literature to back this up. Similarly, as others have said, the types of intrusive and highly inappropriate questions she asks survivors on her "training courses", are the antithesis of trauma-informed. Stating on her website that she covers the funny aspects of CSA is frankly bleeping offensive.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I don't know enough about her to know if I believe her but I honestly dislike how she positions herself as an expert with her vague lived experience. Agreed no one who experienced abuse can thus say they speak for all victims.

I believe she may have been abused but I don't believe she understands trauma.

Since reading here, her work strikes me in many ways as the antithesis of trauma informed.

Her free self care for women after abuse module...the one which has been highlighted as dodgy...

The answers she gives therr are absolute. She has a yes or no answer to what is normal or not normal or ok to think or feel or do after abuse.

In many ways, thinking in such absolutes as she does is just as bad as self blame.

The course also has videos of her guiding u through the process of recovering from sexual abuse. Imo no one who has no front line or clinical experience or qualifications should be running an online experience effectively counselling someone through trauma. I really believe sadly her work is harmful and dangerous.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm also uncomfortable with disputing someone's account of experiencing abuse, especially considering what has happened historically, combined with the fact that it is unfortunately extremely common.

What I will say though is that experiencing CSA covers a multitude of types of abuse and earlier onset, number and types of abuse and number of perpetrators etc, obviously exacerbates the impact. As far as I know, Jess has talked about being victimised by 1 man, as a teenager. She cannot know what it's like to have been abused as a young child by multiple people and the devastating impact of such violations. Claiming to speak on behalf of all victims is overstepping the mark in a number of ways.

Jess is clearly limited in her understanding as evidenced by her saying that flashbacks are just ordinary memories. If she had ever experienced them she'd know that simply isn't the case. There's also a vast literature to back this up. Similarly, as others have said, the types of intrusive and highly inappropriate questions she asks survivors on her "training courses", are the antithesis of trauma-informed. Stating on her website that she covers the funny aspects of CSA is frankly bleeping offensive.
Like how she professed to speak for everyone in the sex industry and was, rightly, criticised by actual sex workers who said her experience of sleeping with her bank manager was nothing like their experiences?

Like how she professed to speak for everyone in the sex industry and was, rightly, criticised by actual sex workers who said her experience of sleeping with her bank manager was nothing like their experiences?
Whaaaaaaaaaat????? She said that her sleeping with her bank manager was her doing “sex work”???? I’d actually be laughing right now if this wasn’t such an insult to actual sex workers. bleeping hell.

Reactions: 6
Whaaaaaaaaaat????? She said that her sleeping with her bank manager was her doing “sex work”???? I’d actually be laughing right now if this wasn’t such an insult to actual sex workers. bleeping hell.
She wrote about it in an article and said she had slept with her bank manager in exchange for a loan. Then was criticised by an actual sex worker and ended up swearing and ranting at her on Twitter

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Her standard response when someone tells her that her views don't fit with their personal experience of a topic is to try and turn it into a game of Top Trumps: her experience of said topic has to be the Worst Ever, and therefore definitive. She did it when someone bereaved by suicide questioned what she was saying - triumphantly flourished her father-in-law's death as though it gave her the last word. She did exactly the same thing to a vulnerable woman who was living in a hostel, in recovery from drug addiction, and who described herself as a street or survival sex worker - brought up the bank manager situation in an unnecessarily aggressive way in order to dismiss what this woman was saying. Regardless of your personal views on the sex industry or suicide, a central tenet of trauma-informed working is the ability to really listen to the other person and to try and understand where they are coming from. You have to at least recognise that someone's life experiences might lead them to adopt a different conclusion than the one you think you would choose in their place. And Jess can't do that. To her, every disagreement is a fight and a personal insult, and her response isn't to listen, it's to try and one-up the other person and so have the last word.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I mean you cant really compare the two can you. Why was she sleeping with her bank manager? So she gets approved of a loan? Did he approve it? So many questions (obviously irrelevant, but curiosity n all that)

She wrote about it in an article and said she had slept with her bank manager in exchange for a loan. Then was criticised by an actual sex worker and ended up swearing and ranting at her on Twitter
I'd love to hear a psychologist's take on Jessica.

Reactions: 7
Wow that's a new one.

Her standard response when someone tells her that her views don't fit with their personal experience of a topic is to try and turn it into a game of Top Trumps: her experience of said topic has to be the Worst Ever, and therefore definitive. She did it when someone bereaved by suicide questioned what she was saying - triumphantly flourished her father-in-law's death as though it gave her the last word. She did exactly the same thing to a vulnerable woman who was living in a hostel, in recovery from drug addiction, and who described herself as a street or survival sex worker - brought up the bank manager situation in an unnecessarily aggressive way in order to dismiss what this woman was saying. Regardless of your personal views on the sex industry or suicide, a central tenet of trauma-informed working is the ability to really listen to the other person and to try and understand where they are coming from. You have to at least recognise that someone's life experiences might lead them to adopt a different conclusion than the one you think you would choose in their place. And Jess can't do that. To her, every disagreement is a fight and a personal insult, and her response isn't to listen, it's to try and one-up the other person and so have the last word.
Very well said.

Her DSM alternative claims to be " peer reviewed and tested by a range of senior professionals, academics, clinicians, and people with lived experience of trauma and distress."

This is too broad, there's not way.

What is a "senior professional?"
Who does she consider an "academic"?
What males someone a clinician?
How does she gain access to people with lived experience of trauma and distress?

Is this the biggest bs ever??

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Wow that's a new one.

Very well said.

Her DSM alternative claims to be " peer reviewed and tested by a range of senior professionals, academics, clinicians, and people with lived experience of trauma and distress."

How does she gain access to people with lived experience of trauma and distress?

Her peer reviewers are chosen by her not blind peer reviewed.

Attachments

Like many others, whilst I can’t lay claim to knowing whether her experiences happened or did not and so can’t comment on that, what I do find deplorable is how her attitude towards SA/CSA/DV/trauma etc is, in her eyes, ‘gold standard’ and should be seen by everyone as such. Many psychologists/researchers/scientists etc have opinions, theories and views but even in some way realise that theirs is not the only idea or explanation (for example). Whereas with JT it seems her way or no way is the answer.

As someone who has experienced DV and still suffers PTSD and trauma from it, I do not find her approaches helpful. And this isn’t just because of my personal opinion on her and how she conducts herself professionally either. Even back when I was ‘a fan’ I found her approach hard to get on board with and found more often than not I was being re-traumatised in some way because of it.

To push and demand that her ideas and views are gold standard in a field that is filled with variety and depth and consistent change is gross. And the fact she can’t see (or at the very least admit) how her attitude and approach can be harmful is abhorrent and frankly disappointing.

Her peer reviewers are chosen by her not blind peer reviewed.
I’ve recently seen that I’ve been blocked on Twitter by RoseEmpower and I’m not sure why 🥺 maybe it was because for a while I stayed following JT to keep up to date on what was going on? I’ve never personally interacted with her and seen as we are ‘on the same side’ (so to speak) I’m not entirely sure what I have done.

• Sad
It's hilarious that she thinks she can produce a manual to replace the DSM! Also, she constantly refers to 'thoughts, emotions, and behaviours', literally the central tenet of CBT, yet she supposedly doesn't believe in CBT, at least for trauma survivors. In fact she called it 'sadistic'.

Reactions: 2
Wow that's a new one.

Very well said.

An even bigger question is what does she mean by 'test'? Are we talking about inter-rater reliability? Presumably not, as this is not intended as diagnostic. So what exactly was the outcome being measured by the 'tests', how was it measured, by whom, and in what settings? Who exactly are all these nameless faceless academics and practitioners who were involved in this?

Reactions: 5
Wow that's a new one.

Very well said.

Isnt the DSM an American thing anyway? I bet the "professionals" are just her mates shes got pally with on twitter. I was on tiktok last night and seen a video from a narcissist who said he doesnt have friends, he has people he can use to his advantage. He sees people as what he can get out of them and it reminded me of a Jessica to a T!

Reactions: 2
Well we know her versions of 'peer review' is a classic example of how she uses word play to make her work appear 'academic' to the casual observer, but simultaneously calling academia discriminatory, inaccessible blah blah. She'll say 'I got some 'peers' to review it so it's been peer reviewed'....You're either an academic producing academic work, and bound by academic ethics and principles, or you're not. You can't just dip into it when you want to sound legitimate...

Isnt the DSM an American thing anyway? I bet the "professionals" are just her mates shes got pally with on twitter. I was on tiktok last night and seen a video from a narcissist who said he doesnt have friends, he has people he can use to his advantage. He sees people as what he can get out of them and it reminded me of a Jessica to a T!
Yeah the DSM is American. We primarily use the ICD. I suppose she is courting the American market, but she never mentions the ICD, which I think is a bit strange...

Reactions: 4
It's hilarious that she thinks she can produce a manual to replace the DSM! Also, she constantly refers to 'thoughts, emotions, and behaviours', literally the central tenet of CBT, yet she supposedly doesn't believe in CBT, at least for trauma survivors. In fact she called it 'sadistic'.
Honestly, I first started following her because of her views on CBT. As someone who’s bounced in and out of therapy since early teens, is now on ADs to help managed anxiety and depression & PTSD I did not find CBT a helpful way (granted at the time I was having CBT as my only form of ‘treatment’ [for want of a better word]) of dealing with everything I was/am. One example I use is of a therapist I saw back in my early twenties whilst in the throes of DV, who asked me how my actions may have affected my perp to then abuse me. This has stuck with me ever since and especially at the time I was trying to remove myself from the DV situation, I ended up staying to the point of danger to my life because I felt it was all my fault. I think it’s important how CBT approaches are used and worded for this reason. THIS is why I started to follow her, because how I felt seemed to echo what she was saying.

I have since changed my mind and distanced myself from her views as I’m sure you all realise by now, seen as I’ve been a member of this thread for months. My point being at first I thought she was genuine and had good ideas (like many). And then I started to see the many holes, questionable views and approaches and things that just did not make sense.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.