Dr Jessica Taylor #4 Consent is for losers, not for me. Ignore that journalist spilling the tea.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Am I understanding this right?.... JTs FREE online course for survivors of sexual abuse (the one she rolls out as proof of her victim-focused altruism) is in fact a data collection tool?

I'm truly speechless.

This is beyond vile.
That certainly what it looks like, but I doubt it's possible to prove it. The original course I took isn't available to me on my course platform, but I've requested copies of all the info she has had from me ever. But short of trawling through all her work since to see if anything matches...and then if its anonymised anyone she's potentially done this to is in the same boat as SallyAnn. I think ppl just need to be aware of her practices. Il put it all in a thread on Twitter later with screengrabs. I'm under Rebecca Daniels if anyone wants to share it. In some ways Twitter isn't the place, but if we're not publicly calling this out then no-one ever knows do they. No-one would know what's she's done to SallyAnn.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
That's why it'd be tricky to even know if u had been used in her work, she could slap an alias on and use Ur words...I'm hoping that's not the case for u, and stand in solidarity. She's behaved very unethically.

Victim Focus sounds like a disaster on So many levels.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The free course exists in 3 formats, as a PDF, as a web page and as an interactive e-learning course alongside the paid for e-learning courses.

Here's the web version https://www.victimfocus.org.uk/free-caring-for-yourself-after-sexual-violence

There's no data collection with the first two formats.

But it looks like there is on the e-learning version.

Here are all the e-learning courses, it looks like they're all collecting data.
The only reason the first two formats aren't data collection devices is participants don't submit their answers!! They're not interactive so you do the activities with a paper and pen! Trust me, if there was a way for her to make participants send in their 'work' she would do it...

• Sad
Reactions: 4
The free course exists in 3 formats, as a PDF, as a web page and as an interactive e-learning course alongside the paid for e-learning courses.

Here's the web version https://www.victimfocus.org.uk/free-caring-for-yourself-after-sexual-violence

Yes the interactive one is the one I took. Here's some of the questions

Write about the grooming tactics that were used against you.

What did I think feel and do when the abuse was happening to me?

Are there any life events that have triggered you?

Write about your own experiences of victim blaming?

Write a letter to the younger version of yourself.

How has sexual trauma impacted your sex life?

Write about the intimate contact you do and do not enjoy.

Write about your own personal opinions of the term survivor or victim.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I wonder what she'd go for? She's already alienated the gendercrit movement plus she'd be up against those nasty older feminists like Julie Bindel.

Gay rights - again, she's already alienated the gendercrit side, and the other side sees her as a "TERF" and won't accept her

She can't pick anti-racism cuz she's white

Disability - she's burned her bridges in mental health and is physically abled, also she claimed all her ailments had been cured when she came out as gay

Environment - there are many far better spokespeople on that front

Poverty - even if she was once poor, she certainly isn't now and her similarities to grifter-in-chief Jack Monroe would become ever more apparent if she tried that route
She's definitely leading towards 'medical racist misogyny'---she would position it as racist of anybody to question her authority on that as a white person...! She's also been prepping the way for the ageism, as in this supposed discrimination against 'young' people, but she's deludedly describing herself as 'young'. She's also promoting her 'expert' guidance on relationships for children and young people, but her dubious ethical practices would be, rightly, subject to far more scrutiny if she starts to target children and young people. I, for one, would be enraged if I thought she had any contact with my child or teenager.

Reactions: 8

These sound similar to what’s in the “journals”.
Showing her lack of clinical knowledge (or even much about working with victims/survivors) as these are not something to be opened up remotely

• Sad
Reactions: 7

Thanks for directing me to the course @witchinghour

It makes for grim viewing. The words FREE and UNLIMITED are plastered all over the advertising - but it's not free is it? At least the online version isn't. There is a personal cost to undertaking the 'course'. You must first relinquish control of whatever copy/personal experiences you input. You must give ownership of your copy/experience to someone else to gain access to the help the course/JT promises it will offer. Who sees what people input? Is it JT, JT and her wife, the VF team ...anyone else who fancies a gander? How is the data stored? How long is it kept for? Who do you contact if you want your data deleted/removed? What's the protocol for data removal? Let's be clear this kind of information is STANDARD in data handling/research participation - it's not extra, it's not supercharged ethics it's STANDARD! Then there should be an 'extra layer' of safeguards when collecting/handling data of vulnerable/previously victimised people. I don't know anyone with a research background who would behave like JT. She must know. I don't believe she doesn't understand this (I kind of wanted to believe this was a competency issue but I don't think it is). She must know how deeply unethical and harmful this is. It is disempowering, deceptive and frankly (lack of professional ethics/standards aside) just plain heartless. It's revictimisation.

• Sad
Reactions: 15

I'm no expert, but to me those questions do look like they are fishing for answers and comments outside of the title of the 'course'. Surely all of those are triggering in themselves? Knowing what we know now they clearly look like they are asking questions for wider research.

That certainly what it looks like, but I doubt it's possible to prove it. The original course I took isn't available to me on my course platform, but I've requested copies of all the info she has had from me ever. But short of trawling through all her work since to see if anything matches...and then if its anonymised anyone she's potentially done this to is in the same boat as SallyAnn. I think ppl just need to be aware of her practices. Il put it all in a thread on Twitter later with screengrabs. I'm under Rebecca Daniels if anyone wants to share it. In some ways Twitter isn't the place, but if we're not publicly calling this out then no-one ever knows do they. No-one would know what's she's done to SallyAnn.
I think the very fact that she has now included that line that by taking part you agree that your information and answers can be used in future research does prove it!

• Sad
In Scotland it’s quite normal to go from an undergrad to PhD (although many people do do a Masters first) but we have the choice of an ordinary degree or an honours degree which is 4 years. Is a Masters in England the equivalent of an honours degree north of the border?

Apologies for ignorance as I only have experience of the Scottish system!
No it’s a seperate thing

This is so potentially harmful and retraumatising. A number of people answering those questions would be distraught and no aftercare in place. I despair

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I'm sorry if my post above is upsetting for anyone who has completed the course. It was an outpouring of thoughts but I get that it might be difficult to read for some. Happy to delete it if it's causing distress.

• Heart
Yet again she demonstrates how unethical and immoral she is in gleaning intimate details about people's experience of abuse and its impact and extracting it for her own financial gain. She behaves in hideously abusive and exploitative ways and yet again, her behaviour is indicative of someone with no psychological awareness, never mind professional expertise. These questions are not trauma-informed in any way. Ugh, she is so gross.

Re her banging on about her age. 32 is hardly that young to keep flagging it up. I think this reveals more about how she feels psychologically. She is certainly stunted, hence the pathological narcissism and sociopathic behaviour masquerading as legitimate self confidence.

Edited to add - @FruitPie obviously I cannot speak for others, but I don't think that you should delete your post. You are simply articulating what many of us already feel. It's not your behaviour that is distressing.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I still cant believe you can do a phd without a masters? Maybe I'm dumb but I always thought the next step from an undergrad would be the postgrad and then if you wanted to go further, you do the phd? Maybe thats why her phd was so tit? because she skipped the postgrad that would have taught her a bit more.
The absolute ego to go from an undergrad to a phd :LOL::ROFLMAO: She really thought she was smarter than everyone. I suppose its a good job she's not doing something like nursing. Imagine her ego with that?!

Also, my random thoughts about all this had me thinking. Imagine Jess has been through her abuse and is traumatised. Traumatised to the point where she develops a personality disorder. Or, she already had a personality disorder and the trauma just triggered it even more. She goes to UoB who tell her so and shes in complete denial. She doesnt have a personality disorder and she's going to prove you all wrong. The way she goes about things, with her opinions and her books and her arguing with everyone that doesnt agree with her, and if you don't love her and tell her shes amazing then its because you're a jealous homophobe - its like shes trying to argue with the pros that personality disorders arent real, and if they arent real, then how can she have one?! And she uses other peoples diagnoses as a way to shove her opinions in everyones faces because X was raped as a teenager and now she has bipolar, but its not bipolar - its just trauma. Y has ADHD & they experienced domestic violence - but it's not ADHD - it's just trauma. Z has autism and was abused as a child - guess what guys, you dont have a neurological disorder that you are born with - it's just trauma!

duck me she's delusional.
I think that is exactly what happened, although I'm not sure I actually believe that she was a victim of abuse. I think it may have been suggested that she had a personality disorder, and possibly this is what was in the emails at the university and that is how she was able to threaten them with legal action. This is what I mean about backing herself into a corner; she could now come out and say she has been discriminated against because of her mental health disorder, but she has claimed that mental health disorders don't exist, so she can't, without contradicting her life's 'work'. To be honest I do think personality disorders are over diagnosed and it's is a great disservice to people who genuinely have disorders when they are so widely diagnosed...

Thanks for directing me to the course @witchinghour

It makes for grim viewing. The words FREE and UNLIMITED are plastered all over the advertising - but it's not free is it? At least the online version isn't. There is a personal cost to undertaking the 'course'. You must first relinquish control of whatever copy/personal experiences you input. You must give ownership of your copy/experience to someone else to gain access to the help the course/JT promises it will offer. Who sees what people input? Is it JT, JT and her wife, the VF team ...anyone else who fancies a gander? How is the data stored? How long is it kept for? Who do you contact if you want your data deleted/removed? What's the protocol for data removal? Let's be clear this kind of information is STANDARD in data handling/research participation - it's not extra, it's not supercharged ethics it's STANDARD! Then there should be an 'extra layer' of safeguards when collecting/handling data of vulnerable/previously victimised people. I don't know anyone with a research background who would behave like JT. She must know. I don't believe she doesn't understand this (I kind of wanted to believe this was a competency issue but I don't think it is). She must know how deeply unethical and harmful this is. It is disempowering, deceptive and frankly (lack of professional ethics/standards aside) just plain heartless. It's revictimisation.
This is why I believe she would definitely be done under data protection. Lots of very big companies with robust data protection policies in place have been done for data protection issues for things as minor as inadvertently emailing from a personal rather than a work email. They may be a very small company, but the nature of their 'work' means that they should have extra data protection safeguards in place. I mean, the work WhatsApp group breaks all the rules in itself! I just cannot see how she can avoid being done, at the very least, for data protection breaches---there are so many clear breaches that we can all see. I bet she is desperately creating a data protection policy as we speak...

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I still cant believe you can do a phd without a masters? Maybe I'm dumb but I always thought the next step from an undergrad would be the postgrad and then if you wanted to go further, you do the phd? Maybe thats why her phd was so tit? because she skipped the postgrad that would have taught her a bit more.
The absolute ego to go from an undergrad to a phd :LOL::ROFLMAO: She really thought she was smarter than everyone. I suppose its a good job she's not doing something like nursing. Imagine her ego with that?!

Also, my random thoughts about all this had me thinking. Imagine Jess has been through her abuse and is traumatised. Traumatised to the point where she develops a personality disorder. Or, she already had a personality disorder and the trauma just triggered it even more. She goes to UoB who tell her so and shes in complete denial. She doesnt have a personality disorder and she's going to prove you all wrong. The way she goes about things, with her opinions and her books and her arguing with everyone that doesnt agree with her, and if you don't love her and tell her shes amazing then its because you're a jealous homophobe - its like shes trying to argue with the pros that personality disorders arent real, and if they arent real, then how can she have one?! And she uses other peoples diagnoses as a way to shove her opinions in everyones faces because X was raped as a teenager and now she has bipolar, but its not bipolar - its just trauma. Y has ADHD & they experienced domestic violence - but it's not ADHD - it's just trauma. Z has autism and was abused as a child - guess what guys, you dont have a neurological disorder that you are born with - it's just trauma!

duck me she's delusional.
I don't think it's that uncommon or unreasonable to skip the Ms level post-grad if the undergrad degree is heavily weighted to research methods (which a BPS-accredited Pysch degree is). I know plenty of people who undertook a PhD with a string of masters/pg dips under their belt and struggled way more than others who were jumping straight in from undergrad. The grounding in the 'doing of research' means research degree undergrads essentially hit the gound running. Likwise, I've known people undertake and complete PhDs with very little (recent) academic training, if any, but who have been working within the arena they are conducting research in (for example, policing, NCA, social work, victim support - all examples related to people I can think of who didn't have a post grad before undertaking their PhD and went on to produce outstanding research).

But then there's JT...... it seems to me she has used a system that can has made pursuing a research degree more accessible and abused it in just about every way I can think of.

Reactions: 6
I think it’s possibly more common to do a PhD without Masters in some subjects then it would be in others. I’m psych if there’s enough stats in your UG you can go straight to a PhD (I looked into it for myself because I thought I had to have a masters and was surprised when lecturers said it otherwise).

Those questions are horrendous. They’re likely to retraumatise. I don’t understand how they can possibly be a “course” or be helpful in any way. Even going through it 1:1 with a therapist it would be way more broken down and done over a long period of time in a trusting, safe, environment.

Also when talking about autism, please can people use identity first language? (Autistic person rather than person with autism). It’s preferred by the majority of autistics. It makes it much harder for people to separate the autism from the person and claim it doesn’t exist/needs a cure.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Those questions are horrible. I have a history of sexual abuse. From a kid up to about 24/25. I rarely think about it. Ever. But those questions are triggering AF. And where are the ethics? The support? What if a woman is to answer those questions, spiral and then hurts herself? Who cares cuz Jess gets her answers?

What did I think feel and do when the abuse was happening to me? You want someone to go back and think about their deepest darkest thoughts at probably the worst time in their lives in a questionnaire with no follow up support?

Write about the intimate contact you do and do not enjoy. Why? Why would you want someone who could potentially be moving forward with life, to think about a time they were raped & then link it with sex with their partner and re-traumatise them all over again, and for what?

Jesus christ. When you really think about it, Jessica Taylor should be stripped of her doctorate. She does not deserve the title Dr.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Honestly I feel like an idiot now for ever signing up for it. In 2019 I was new to her work and thought she was great, I even recommended her to others.

• Heart
Honestly I feel like an idiot now for ever signing up for it. In 2019 I was new to her work and thought she was great, I even recommended her to others.
You’re not an idiot. Because of blocking and legal threats, until recently many people thought it was “just them” who had doubts. And for those who had a slight doubt, they wouldn’t necessarily have linked it with any other niggles. Even months into this nonsense, with many eyes on her, we’re still only just uncovering quite how deep it goes.

She is behaving in a disgusting, unethical, abusive manner.

You are not an idiot.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I trusted her and believed her lies too. I'm truly horrified at the implications of this with her courses. I'm sorry for being part of making them a reality.

• Heart
I trusted her and believed her lies too. I'm truly horrified at the implications of this with her courses. I'm sorry for being part of making them a reality.
It's not your fault. I can't even imagine what she must have been like to work for. I don't think anyone could have foreseen how far she would go with this. I just hope all this will hopefully prevent others being sucked in by her.

So the ICO say I have to give her a month to respond. I have to make an appointment with CAB to go to Trading Standards. Is there anyone else I can complain to? I guess the BPS is pointless.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Maybe something totally unrelated. Her previous grifts / personas include wellness and homeschooling as well as male mental health.

If she can get the work, she'll carry on in TV as long as possible - loads of narc supply there and it's a world where performance can matter more than ethics.

I think she'll likely continue down the anti-meds route, picking up loads of conspiracy theory fanatics as followers.
I think it'll be something new age. It'll be about the moon or alternative therapies. She'll be selling retreats and ointments. I bet one of the books will be about alternative therapies. Which will be her answer to being anti med.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.