Doireann O’Leary #3 But I heard the hubby is a surgeon!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember years ago Doireann used to talk about her stomach issues and why she is on a strict diet, my sister in law is the very same. People who don't know of her health condition would think my sister in law has an unhealthy relationship with food but its far from that. She is on a strict diet to prevent her from needing a colostomy bag ... I see how restricted she is when choosing meals . She's the same age as Doireann with 3 small children.
Right, except she's spoken numerous times about how women should only have starchy carbs on the weekends, as a treat etc. Which has nothing to do with her health issues, it's just disordered eating.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Right, except she's spoken numerous times about how women should only have starchy carbs on the weekends, as a treat etc. Which has nothing to do with her health issues, it's just disordered eating.
This +++++
And her portions are miniscule. That's just your usual restricting.

Reactions: 10
I think Doireann has talked about irritable bowel, which is pretty different from something like inflammatory bowel disease etc which would require a colostomy.

And can't shake the knowledge that there are not an insignificant number of people who either use intolerances as an excuse to avoid food or convince themselves that they can't tolerate it. Also, not eating something is often a recipe for intolerance - like being keto for ages and starting to eat carbs again. It takes time to get used to digesting them again. Absolutely not talking about your sister in law at all who is clearly using a medically required diet (e.g. Crohn's often given low residue plan), but sometimes for others it's a way of masking an eating disorder, or there's an element of orthorexia.

Sadly the only thing I can't seem to eat in excess is cauliflower :LOL:
This!!!!! Restricting masked as being intolerant is so prevalent in the last few years (and almost sort of fetishised on social media platforms I would posit). She may well have Irritable Bowel, but her diet is far more restricted and reduced than would be required to keep that in check. It's not Crohn's, like. There is an issue with food there, for sure. I won't say anymore on that particular facet of her, as I sympathise with anyone who has issues like that. Plus there are many, many other grievances about her I can elaborate on 😅😅😅😅 It is somewhat contradictory and ironic though as, for all her preening and dressing up and ridiculously OTT photos of her wearing a ballgown alone in her sitting room every week, I think she looks dreadful (objectively). Unwell looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
That is not her place to say. THAT is not very professional coming from a GP 😐 I was just speaking of what she spoke about with her own health many years ago.

Reactions: 4
This!!!!! Restricting masked as being intolerant is so prevalent in the last few years (and almost sort of fetishised on social media platforms I would posit). She may well have Irritable Bowel, but her diet is far more restricted and reduced than would be required to keep that in check. It's not Crohn's, like. There is an issue with food there, for sure. I won't say anymore on that particular facet of her, as I sympathise with anyone who has issues like that. Plus there are many, many other grievances about her I can elaborate on 😅😅😅😅 It is somewhat contradictory and ironic though as, for all her preening and dressing up and ridiculously OTT photos of her wearing a ballgown alone in her sitting room every week, I think she looks dreadful (objectively). Unwell looking.
Yes!

On an individual level, it's dreadfully sad more than anything. Food can be such a joy, and it's a shame to miss out on it and live life depriving yourself of that pleasure. Thought this was also just very sad: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...ria-eating-habits_uk_61f96a5ae4b04f9a12c3163b Personally not worth it, to me.

I suppose it pisses me off with her because she's posting all these teeny tiny photos of herself, which are of course going to be used as thinspo by the susceptible (she's like a pro-ana dreamgirl with those legs) and she can't not know it. She's also shown the little cup of side salad she views as dinner, etc. One thing harming herself, but another to post what could harm others. So much potential for social media to be used for bad.

Reactions: 6
Yes!

On an individual level, it's dreadfully sad more than anything. Food can be such a joy, and it's a shame to miss out on it and live life depriving yourself of that pleasure. Thought this was also just very sad: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...ria-eating-habits_uk_61f96a5ae4b04f9a12c3163b Personally not worth it, to me.

I suppose it pisses me off with her because she's posting all these teeny tiny photos of herself, which are of course going to be used as thinspo by the susceptible (she's like a pro-ana dreamgirl with those legs) and she can't not know it. She's also shown the little cup of side salad she views as dinner, etc. One thing harming herself, but another to post what could harm others. So much potential for social media to be used for bad.
Oh yes, I totally agree with you. I wasn't defending her at all.....whatever about having sympathy for someone who has food issues, it's utterly irresponsible of her to be promoting her "look" as something aspirational AND aligning her miniscule portions of mainly vegetables, combined with what I personally consider excessive exercise, with being healthy. It's also not remotely realistic or sustainable for the average person (she must be constantly hungry and I don't know how she concentrates).

I cannot abide the thinly veiled "Look at me, look how pretty I am and thin I am" motivation behind basically every single one of her posts. She's there done up to the nines in a ballgown and the caption will be something like "Cervical screening awareness week"......it's completely incongruous and ridiculous. 😑😑😑😑😑😑

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Oh yes, I totally agree with you. I wasn't defending her at all.....whatever about having sympathy for someone who has food issues, it's utterly irresponsible of her to be promoting her "look" as something aspirational AND aligning her miniscule portions of mainly vegetables, combined with what I personally consider excessive exercise, with being healthy. It's also not remotely realistic or sustainable for the average person (she must be constantly hungry and I don't know how she concentrates).

I cannot abide the thinly veiled "Look at me, look how pretty I am and thin I am" motivation behind basically every single one of her posts. She's there done up to the nines in a ballgown and the caption will be something like "Cervical screening awareness week"......it's completely incongruous and ridiculous. 😑😑😑😑😑😑
Oh I know! Same with me - sympathy for individuals...but not her actions.
The posts! Like, seriously. She loves the attention.

• Haha
If she does have Chrons disease or IBS and that is part of the reason she is so waif like, wouldn’t it be better if she used her platform to create awareness and help others?

She’s a very unhealthy looking health professional.

Reactions: 3
I’m a medical student at UCC and many of my peers who know about her (not everyone does) find her disingenuous and an embarrassment.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’m a medical student at UCC and many of my peers who know about her (not everyone does) find her disingenuous and an embarrassment.
Very interesting! Yes, I could see her performative doctoring potentially rubbing other medical professionals up the wrong way. I know the Consultants I worked for in the past (who are too busy and just personality wise would never be into Insta doctoring) would be mortified and baffled.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I messaged her very politely a couple of weeks ago after she posted a story saying that all pregnant women who contracted covid would be put on blood thinners. This is, and was at the time, against the advice of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, who state that thinners should be used once a risk assessment is complete (for context, I would not at any point in my current pregnancy need thinners if I got Covid, unless something almost impossibly drastic happened). Anyway, sent her a really nice polite message explaining this. The only reason I did so is because there is massive fear with those who are pregnant who get Covid, particularly as some hospitals are automatically trying to induce people or put them on thinners. I genuinely think the fear of it would put people off declaring they had covid, and potentially risking their health. I was hoping she might correct the info she put out somehow, but she didn't. Just found it really disappointing. On my third covid pregnancy, the first birth alone without my partner because of restrictions, the second baby lost at 11 weeks again without my partner by my side, and thankfully pregnant now. Just think there's a lot of harm that can be done through the fear caused by misinformation. I don't know why it rubbed me up the wrong way so much, but covid pregnancy has been stressful enough, and I'd imagine people might be sent into a spin if a doctor is saying they'd need thinners when they might not!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Insta doctoring, like all other insta stuff is just looking for attention for the individual.

Regarding her weight, she may have an issue with food or may not.

All I know is , I was naturally very thin for years. I got such so many women passing remarks on my shape. I hated it. They would say bitchy things to me. They were always bigger than me. And I think they just couldn't understand that someone could be naturally thin.
Now I'm older, I am not as thin.
However for my 20s and 30s, I was thin. Toned .
I was sick to death of women commenting to my face my my shape and asking what I ate. Did I diet. How could I be thin without dieting.
People who knew me or lived with me knew the truth.

It was never ok to ask a bigger person "how do you stay that size" but anyone could ask me anything about my size/figure /shape.
Tell me I have no boobs was a favourite of the women. One told me I'll never have kids as I'm so slim. Non stop bitchy comments.

So when I read people commenting freely on women size, whether they have disordered eating or not, it's wrong.(in my view)

Reactions: 8
Insta doctoring, like all other insta stuff is just looking for attention for the individual.

Regarding her weight, she may have an issue with food or may not.

All I know is , I was naturally very thin for years. I got such so many women passing remarks on my shape. I hated it. They would say bitchy things to me. They were always bigger than me. And I think they just couldn't understand that someone could be naturally thin.
Now I'm older, I am not as thin.
However for my 20s and 30s, I was thin. Toned .
I was sick to death of women commenting to my face my my shape and asking what I ate. Did I diet. How could I be thin without dieting.
People who knew me or lived with me knew the truth.

It was never ok to ask a bigger person "how do you stay that size" but anyone could ask me anything about my size/figure /shape.
Tell me I have no boobs was a favourite of the women. One told me I'll never have kids as I'm so slim. Non stop bitchy comments.

So when I read people commenting freely on women size, whether they have disordered eating or not, it's wrong.(in my view)
I'm the same, naturally slim, I remember when I first started working nights.. we were having our dinner break, there was this one particular staff member ... after we finished our food, she turned around in front of the rest of the staff at the table and said ... look at her... she's probably heading off into the toilet now to stick her two fingers back her throat. .. referring to me . Thankfully I had a thick skin .

• Angry
It’s one thing being thin, I mean who cares really?!

It’s quite another to manipulate yourself into such a shape that you look extremely thin and wear massive sunglasses, have massive hair extensions etc to emphasise that thinspo aesthetic and let’s face it, that’s exactly what she’s deliberately doing. Visible collar bone always to the fore. This is wrong for her to do as a doctor. It’s wrong and it has nothing to do with anyone being naturally thin 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m guessing when you guys were sitting with your colleagues you didn’t advise them to only eat naughty root veg at the weekend or scold them for being divils for having two slices of bread. This situation is absolutely not the same thing as you’re describing.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Just to clarify, as I feel that I'm being referred to above, that I would never pass a comment to someone about their weight, directly or indirectly (i.e. like the poster above where someone alluded to them being bulimic because they're slim) whatever end of the spectrum they fall on. As someone who has been overweight several times in my life, I've been subject to very hurtful comments on several occasions.

Doireann has chosen to position herself as an influencer. She is in the public arena by choice. This is a site where those who have chosen to live this way, and earn money from it, are discussed. I can't speak for everyone, but I for one am not sending her messages about her weight. I think the distinction which needs to be made here is that this woman is trying to present herself as being an example of good health, on a very public platform, whilst presenting us with the evidence that she lives off mint tea and very skimpy portions of salad and perhaps a portion of fish. She may well be naturally very slim, I would imagine she is of a lean build. However, I do not think it can be disputed that she is well below a healthy weight.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Also to add, I’ve been very underweight before for medical reasons and most people were actually kind and worried rather than judgemental. There was the odd comment but usually from a head who I didn’t pass any heed on anyway!

It’s quite another to manipulate yourself into such a shape that you look extremely thin and wear massive sunglasses, have massive hair extensions etc to emphasise that thinspo aesthetic and let’s face it, that’s exactly what she’s deliberately doing. Visible collar bone always to the fore. This is wrong for her to do as a doctor. It’s wrong and it has nothing to do with anyone being naturally thin 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’m guessing when you guys were sitting with your colleagues you didn’t advise them to only eat naughty root veg at the weekend or scold them for being divils for having two slices of bread. This situation is absolutely not the same thing as you’re describing.
Good points well made.
Except when you said "who cares" if you're naturally thin. Seemingly a lot of women care otherwise they wouldn't be commenting on thin girls shapes all the time.
I never cared. I was from the country. Ate healthy food .no issues. But a lot of women do care and are bloody mean about it.

Did doireann actually say not to eat bread or vegetable or was that dr. Mary?
Anyway if someone is promoting unhealthy diets, especially if that's a doctor. Then it's wrong

Apologies, when I say ‘who cares’ I mean I don’t care. I genuinely don’t pass that much heed on anyone’s body, I’d be more interested in their clothes and bags 😬
It’s just not interesting to me but I agree with you that people are generally very interested.
I just think Doireann is so very deliberate about how she presents herself as tiny, it really doesn’t sit well with me. Goes out for dinner and shares a little side salad etc. It’s irresponsible given her position.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

YES. The difference is between just minding your own business and making a business out of looking like that, and telling others how they should eat/promoting how you eat yourself (very little, very restricted)

Yes!

Those with eating disorders don't choose
Yes!

Those with eating disorders don't choose one. Its a mental illness.
"Personally not worth it, to me." ......eating disorder sufferers well may agree wholeheartedly with that and know it moreso than anyone else; know the miserable life they lead is rubbish but simply cannot change it. I should know.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.