Doireann O' Leary.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We get it you wear scrubs . We get it . Please stop showing us daily your scrubs . We get
It

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I find her very disingenuous, she was recommended to me by a friend when I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I followed her for a bit and then messaged her on three separate occasions and never once did she reply back. I just thought that as a)a GP and b) a cervical cancer patient herself she'd make more of an effort to interact. That aside, it also really irked me when she said she was out walking everyday during her treatment for cancer as at the time I couldn't walk to my toilet unaided. Now I know she states her cancer was early stages and thankfully so was mine but yet from whats she said to date our experiences couldn't have been more different. She seems to have taken just a few months off work whereas I'm almost 7 months in and still struggling and by no means ready to return to work yet. I just think if she gave more detail on what treatment she received rather than just saying I had cancer it would help more people as her comments about being out walking every day during her treatment really panicked me making me think there was something wrong with me that I couldn't walk unaided for months during and after treatments. I think if you're going to be public about any struggle you need to be totally honest about it, even in her podcast with Georgie Crawford she never once mentions what treatment she had which to me just makes it all a little bit strange as nearly the first thing any cancer patient i know discusses is what treatment they had.
Yes as a doctor you would certinali expext her to reach out to someone in your position but no like a typical influencer all they want is comments telling them they’re unreal. If you actually message them about something ‘they’re so passionate about’ blanked. Bullshit to keep up the ‘so sound’ persona for the likes.

Everyone forgets she’s only a qualified GP since last November. I’m not taking from her training or past studies but she doesn’t have the experience she desires (and NEEDS) for a TV/Radio (big scale) gig here, she sticks to her research or script because she hasn’t seen hundreds of cases of covid/cancer/etc as she is only newly qualified. Nothing to be sniffed at but we all at better at our jobs the more experience we have . She wants to be this famous doctor but it will be 10 more years before she meets the criteria for anything like that.
Oh I didn’t realise that, very good point. Is she not a bit older to have just finished if she did it straight out of school? She strikes me as well in new 30s?

From tea.to.triceps story
What did she say in the podcast?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Yes as a doctor you would certinali expext her to reach out to someone in your position but no like a typical influencer all they want is comments telling them they’re unreal. If you actually message them about something ‘they’re so passionate about’ blanked. Bullshit to keep up the ‘so sound’ persona for the likes.

Oh I didn’t realise that, very good point. Is she not a bit older to have just finished if she did it straight out of school? She strikes me as well in new 30s?

What did she say in the podcast?
She would have done her medicine degree for 5 years straight out of school. Then she did a few years in different areas of medicine. She then applied for the GP training scheme but didn’t get it but applied again the following year and was successful. She would have done her GP training from 2015-2019. I think she’s 33 or thereabouts.

Reactions: 2
She would have done her medicine degree for 5 years straight out of school. Then she did a few years in different areas of medicine. She then applied for the GP training scheme but didn’t get it but applied again the following year and was successful. She would have done her GP training from 2015-2019. I think she’s 33 or thereabouts.
Oh sorry my ignorance, it does take ages. Fair play not taking away from her achievements at all. However, I do agree with what others have said, giving out medical advice online is dangerous and should be better regulated. It can easily be misinterpreted.

Reactions: 6
For someone who dresses really well (not my style for the most part but she does dress well) and always looks perfect I dont understand why her tan is always so bad. Her hands in particular! I am talking about in her latest stories in the blue top. They look dirty!

I would love to see more Irish women embrace their paleness instead of looking like they need a good wash!

Reactions: 14
A lot of medical instagrammers feel that Doireann was a bit misleading on her cancer journey. If you watch the highlight it tells it’s own story. Say for example I go for a smear and have an abnormal smear or they detect cancer - I go through a run of tests and then I would possibly have the cancer removed, have treatment, maybe depending on how bad it is I might even have other parts of my body removed too. She uses the word treatment for the surgery that removed it. Treatment can be easily confused for chemo and she doesn’t correct this assumption. She didn’t have any treatment like that.
Watch her highlight very carefully (if it’s not removed when this is now discussed).
Her doctor picked up the cancer at a smear. Ok.
Dr Doireann had access to what most of us don’t. Immediate imaging or keyhole surgery to see what’s going on. Married to a surgeon. And that’s what happened. So you’ll see her highlight that she had a PET scan. That isn’t always the norm for cervical pick up. But she had it and following that, she had a lung scope (surgical biopsy of the lungs) again not the next necessary step especially for cervical however when your hubby is a surgeon you have fast access to extra tests. She also had keyhole surgery to look at other parts of her. This adds to her story bulking out the ordeal despite it not being a requirement or common procedure. Every other scope and test was documented as part of her ‘journey’ for a few months off but the actually truthful fact that remains is that it was ‘only’ (use the term loosely) cervical cancer and I was removed via keyhole.
A normal joe soap like you or I would not have the surgeries or videos or images to make the story to show the extra scopes and tests but to the unknown untrained medical professionals you would just think ‘poor Doireann.’ That’s why I’m saying I know that medical professionals feel this story was misleadingly told and sold. Nobody is saying she wasn’t sick.
Doireanns story has a good few tests and surgeries to it purely because of who she is and who she has access to . I know medical professionals who felt that she oversold the story because some people Who have had identical issue wouldn’t consider that they’ve had cancer , they just said they had cancerous cells removed - which is actually the truth too. Have a look at the highlight. You’ll notice there’s a lot of drama , selfies and ‘ they think this/they think that’ in the story. But in the end it was not the journey that perhaps she recalls and when I saw a comment or above comparing I just said it was worth saying this. I don’t wish anyone to be sick. But Doireann was not completely genuine and this story and record of it is exaggerated as much as it can be for effect. Hate me if you like but watch the highlight. And tell me after do you think all the extra medical stays and tests were necessary ?? And would you have gotten Offered immediate access to the same !?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
A lot of medical instagrammers feel that Doireann was a bit misleading on her cancer journey. If you watch the highlight it tells it’s own story. Say for example I go for a smear and have an abnormal smear or they detect cancer - I go through a run of tests and then I would possibly have the cancer removed, have treatment, maybe depending on how bad it is I might even have other parts of my body removed too. She uses the word treatment for the surgery that removed it. Treatment can be easily confused for chemo and she doesn’t correct this assumption. She didn’t have any treatment like that.
Watch her highlight very carefully (if it’s not removed when this is now discussed).
Her doctor picked up the cancer at a smear. Ok.
Dr Doireann had access to what most of us don’t. Immediate imaging or keyhole surgery to see what’s going on. Married to a surgeon. And that’s what happened. So you’ll see her highlight that she had a PET scan. That isn’t always the norm for cervical pick up. But she had it and following that, she had a lung scope (surgical biopsy of the lungs) again not the next necessary step especially for cervical however when your hubby is a surgeon you have fast access to extra tests. She also had keyhole surgery to look at other parts of her. This adds to her story bulking out the ordeal despite it not being a requirement or common procedure. Every other scope and test was documented as part of her ‘journey’ for a few months off but the actually truthful fact that remains is that it was ‘only’ (use the term loosely) cervical cancer and I was removed via keyhole.
A normal joe soap like you or I would not have the surgeries or videos or images to make the story to show the extra scopes and tests but to the unknown untrained medical professionals you would just think ‘poor Doireann.’ That’s why I’m saying I know that medical professionals feel this story was misleadingly told and sold. Nobody is saying she wasn’t sick.
Doireanns story has a good few tests and surgeries to it purely because of who she is and who she has access to . I know medical professionals who felt that she oversold the story because some people Who have had identical issue wouldn’t consider that they’ve had cancer , they just said they had cancerous cells removed - which is actually the truth too. Have a look at the highlight. You’ll notice there’s a lot of drama , selfies and ‘ they think this/they think that’ in the story. But in the end it was not the journey that perhaps she recalls and when I saw a comment or above comparing I just said it was worth saying this. I don’t wish anyone to be sick. But Doireann was not completely genuine and this story and record of it is exaggerated as much as it can be for effect. Hate me if you like but watch the highlight. And tell me after do you think all the extra medical stays and tests were necessary ?? And would you have gotten Offered immediate access to the same !?
Did she not have to get a pretty significant part of her reproductive system removed though?

Did she not have to get a pretty significant part of her reproductive system removed though?

Nobody knows. And I’m not saying we have a right to know etc or anything - but the ivf was done as a precaution in case she needed to have chemo & it saved eggs/embryos (I don’t know which) . But we don’t know & that’s why all the inference and reference to ‘when I had cancer’ & the extensive testing highlights etc when medical people feel it’s been a little exaggerated yet no clarification- similar to a few weeks ago, showing she has a temp and was in bed but then no more on the story . I do even feel bad typing thus, but I’ve a gp & pharmacist who have small accs on insta that are hair clients of mine & there is a general unease about them all. Check the highlights and this might make you think about the fact that a lot of her story was about testing.

Reactions: 8
I just re-watched her highlight on her 'cancer journey' and actually listening to it this time it sounds like she actually had a cone biopsy or similar done as she talks about going under general anaesthetic to 'remove' the cancer and then the cells were examined to see if all had been removed and how advanced it was.
There was no mention of removal of anything to do with her reproductive system and she said she didn't need further treatment.
So @Mona86 what you said all makes total sense when you re-listen to it. It sounds like a whole lot of overreaction for what is a pretty standard procedure when abnormal cells are detected.
I've had 2 LLETZ and 2 cone biopsy's done over the years and I would never class myself as having 'had cancer'? And all the gamut of tests/scans/IVF procedures etc were never once presented as options (and I was 19 and childless when I had my first cone biopsy)

Reactions: 11
I just re-watched her highlight on her 'cancer journey' and actually listening to it this time it sounds like she actually had a cone biopsy or similar done as she talks about going under general anaesthetic to 'remove' the cancer and then the cells were examined to see if all had been removed and how advanced it was.
There was no mention of removal of anything to do with her reproductive system and she said she didn't need further treatment.
So @Mona86 what you said all makes total sense when you re-listen to it. It sounds like a whole lot of overreaction for what is a pretty standard procedure when abnormal cells are detected.
I've had 2 LLETZ and 2 cone biopsy's done over the years and I would never class myself as having 'had cancer'? And all the gamut of tests/scans/IVF procedures etc were never once presented as options (and I was 19 and childless when I had my first cone biopsy)

God bless you for wording it better than I was trying to tell it. I don’t wish cancer of any form on anyone but I just know that there are medical professionals who really felt she mislead people with that story. To be honest I was afraid to read this thread again today I thought I would be killed for what I had said about the exaggerated and OTT investigations but i am telling you , she had cancerous cells removed at some level for her cervix . She talks as if she had cancer in the vital organs and survived months of treatment and surgeries. It’s misleading. Very misleading and now that you’ve read this I urge you to go back to her highlight and see for yourself, that all of the hospital stays where she has pictures and videos she pulls out from time to time - many of those were unnecessary additional tests & are used to sell a story. So please don’t think I’m saying she wasn’t sick or anything like that, I’m just telling you she’s a doctor and she over exaggerated her story for the attention and numbers.

Reactions: 16
👆🏻@Mona86
Thank you for saying all of this! Her story has been sketchy since the beginning. It was sooo obvious to me that it was cancerous cells she had removed and that was all. But I just couldn’t pinpoint the untruths. Imagine blowing the experience of having cancerous cells removed after a smear test (which is not something that is taken lightly but it is a common occurrence and procedure) alllllll out of proportion...... and for what? Sympathy!! It’s actually scary that someone would do this.

Reactions: 12
👆🏻@Mona86
Thank you for saying all of this! Her story has been sketchy since the beginning. It was sooo obvious to me that it was cancerous cells she had removed and that was all. But I just couldn’t pinpoint the untruths. Imagine blowing the experience of having cancerous cells removed after a smear test (which is not something that is taken lightly but it is a common occurrence and procedure) alllllll out of proportion...... and for what? Sympathy!! It’s actually scary that someone would do this.

Thank you all for the reaction I was so afraid of the hate I might get: the fact is she had cancerous cells removed. Any other extensive testing or IVF she had done was because she had access (that normal how soaps don’t) to referrals and hospitals. Not saying it wasn’t a worrying time. But she recalls this as if she has had an experience like Georgie Crawford etc. That’s not the case. She has a few keyhole scars which are mainly from investigations And a possible letz procedure but she makes out that she’s lucky to be alive. This is a serious dodgy con. Think about it. Anyone who isn’t sure- please watch the highlight now knowing what I have typed and figure it out for yourself

Reactions: 8
I’m actually shocked at this! She’s someone who I would dip in and out of, but I fully presumed she had cancer a while back when those stories and pics were going up. The addition of the wig didn’t help the misconception either.

Reactions: 7
I’m actually shocked at this! She’s someone who I would dip in and out of, but I fully presumed she had cancer a while back when those stories and pics were going up. The addition of the wig didn’t help the misconception either.
The wig? I completely missed that 🙄

Reactions: 2
so did she have cancerous cells or pre cancerous cells??

For example I had CIN2 and had them removed. that is pre cancerous, meaning cell changes that could turn into cancer down the line and I was also HPV positive which causes them to change.

I presume she had actual cancerous cells.

Reactions: 4
I don’t think anyone , unless they’ve seen her medical files and know for 100% certainty, can really comment on the extent of her illness. Maybe she did exaggerate things, but maybe she also didn’t share the full extent of her issues for personal reasons between her and her husband?

Reactions: 6
yeah I just had a look at her highlight on Instagram. she definitely had cancer as she is describing. and if the GP could even see it with her naked eye, wow! maybe she had access to other exploratory procedures because of her connections but I don't think that diminishes the fact she had stage 1 cervical cancer

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.