Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

jeaner

Her extremely low body weight concerns me. I feel bad for even thinking it but she has so many impressionable, young followers and when I followed her she used to share some pictures of her food and it was always a tiny salad. One night she shared another doctor friend of hers page and the girl very clearly had an eating disorder, I was actually shocked at her pictures and I was even more shocked that she shared her page. I stopped following. She seems like an excellent GP and is very empathetic but the whole eating/weight thing didn't sit well with me. Salad & lots of cardio isn't particularly healthy, occasionally one or two Lindt balls were consumed.
Funnily enough, I know more than a handful of female hospital doctors who have "issues" with eating. Maybe it's a thing.

• Sad
Reactions: 45
I'm probably going to be slated for this but don't GP's have the medical clout to talk about obesity because it's coming from a "health" perspective.
My GP recommended I lose some weight before.. I would have never lost the head over it but it would have probably hurt me more if it came from a partner/friend.
These people are coming at it from a different angle after all.

She probably thought she was safe with the comment because she's spoken about all sorts in the past. And I'm nowhere near her biggest fan btw.
I think it’s more the fact that she heavily implied that people with high BMI are in that position because they eat too many donuts where as in fact overweight and obesity are complex and multifactorial, with genetic, environmental and socioeconomic factors at play. There was also an undertone of ‘if you get covid and you’re overweight, it’s your fault because you ate too many donuts’. It was a disgraceful oversimplification by a medical professional, and it just didn’t need to be said.

• Heart
Reactions: 35

Lillybaby

i mailed MyCorkGP and i got a lovely response from Dr. Nick saying that she no longer works for them and that he is very surprised and disappointed by her tweet and her lack of comment since..

• Wow
Reactions: 31
Being a brand ambassador for skincare as a GP really doesn’t sit well with me. There’s a woman in the comments asking advice for her teenage daughter who is on Duac (a prescription acne cream) and finding it drying and Doireann is recommending the brand skincare regimen instead of referring her back to her own GP or giving her advice on how to gradually increase use of Duac. Surely there’s a conflict of interest there?

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 29

raryrary

I like her overall attitude. Was very shocked when she revealed she’d been sick. I remember she did a re-run of her “glam” insta pics and showed the stories behind them- eg- this was the day I was diagnosed etc. Found it very moving. Never once heard her have a hint of a complaint, despite all she’s been through which is a nice change from plenty of others

Reactions: 29

know1seep

Lads not to go off topic but the amount of doctors and nurses who are public on social media is crazy and I don’t understand how it goes unchecked by their hospitals and medical boards despite having policies and the amount of them on dating apps is shocking. I just believe when you are dealing with the public and in that profession, you should remain private. Doctors, nurses, gardai - all of them should be totally private.
I remember being in a&e and meeting a doctor who literally had his bare arse out on tinder. I didn’t know where to look and couldn’t take him seriously.

The likes of dorieann and Terrie mcavoy make me cringe to high heaven when they talk of the frontline and the real frontline staff must be so insulted by them.

Yeah it blows my mind!
I don't think that doctors nurses and gardai should be forbidden from dating apps. Just like other human beings, 'frontline workers' are entitled to meet people online too

Reactions: 26

Watchwoman

Chatty Member
She’s a prime example of how the leaving cert has weakens people’s professions in Ireland.
She got the points to do medicine alright , but lacks beside manner, empathy and is largely very image obsessed. Not a good look at all

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Mona86

VIP Member
And where is she off to with the car key in her hand...

I bet you a filtered forehead that that’s not a car key, it’s a clicker to take a picture because she’s home alone dressing up and pretending it’s for any other reason besides vanity and insta

• Haha
Reactions: 25

jeaner

If anyone is looking for someone to follow its @drhillarycherylfallon she’s a good friend of doireann who is an A and E doctor and I swear she is a breath of fresh air, she’s hilarious and she doesn’t try to give medical advice to her followers. She’s obsessed with fashion. At times I’m literally howling laughing at the phone she’s so funny. Definitely recommend a follow.
Doireann would want to take a good long hard look at herself and stop denying what she ment. She finally got her 15 minutes of fame but for all the wrong reasons
I’m sorry but that is the doctor I mentioned earlier in this thread. Her photos are so manipulated it’s frightening, the angles to make her look severely underweight. It’s actually shocking to me and not someone I’d recommend to any young girl to follow. Just my tuppence! I prefer healthier role models.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Misty bananas

What I find hard to swallow is the constant media attentions seeking behaviour....she has been tagging simon harris in her posts throughout the pandemic and I just find her goal to be a celebrity doctor a but gross tbh. She has openly stated in the past that she wants to be a tv doctor

Reactions: 24

Mona86

VIP Member
A lot of medical instagrammers feel that Doireann was a bit misleading on her cancer journey. If you watch the highlight it tells it’s own story. Say for example I go for a smear and have an abnormal smear or they detect cancer - I go through a run of tests and then I would possibly have the cancer removed, have treatment, maybe depending on how bad it is I might even have other parts of my body removed too. She uses the word treatment for the surgery that removed it. Treatment can be easily confused for chemo and she doesn’t correct this assumption. She didn’t have any treatment like that.
Watch her highlight very carefully (if it’s not removed when this is now discussed).
Her doctor picked up the cancer at a smear. Ok.
Dr Doireann had access to what most of us don’t. Immediate imaging or keyhole surgery to see what’s going on. Married to a surgeon. And that’s what happened. So you’ll see her highlight that she had a PET scan. That isn’t always the norm for cervical pick up. But she had it and following that, she had a lung scope (surgical biopsy of the lungs) again not the next necessary step especially for cervical however when your hubby is a surgeon you have fast access to extra tests. She also had keyhole surgery to look at other parts of her. This adds to her story bulking out the ordeal despite it not being a requirement or common procedure. Every other scope and test was documented as part of her ‘journey’ for a few months off but the actually truthful fact that remains is that it was ‘only’ (use the term loosely) cervical cancer and I was removed via keyhole.
A normal joe soap like you or I would not have the surgeries or videos or images to make the story to show the extra scopes and tests but to the unknown untrained medical professionals you would just think ‘poor Doireann.’ That’s why I’m saying I know that medical professionals feel this story was misleadingly told and sold. Nobody is saying she wasn’t sick.
Doireanns story has a good few tests and surgeries to it purely because of who she is and who she has access to . I know medical professionals who felt that she oversold the story because some people Who have had identical issue wouldn’t consider that they’ve had cancer , they just said they had cancerous cells removed - which is actually the truth too. Have a look at the highlight. You’ll notice there’s a lot of drama , selfies and ‘ they think this/they think that’ in the story. But in the end it was not the journey that perhaps she recalls and when I saw a comment or above comparing I just said it was worth saying this. I don’t wish anyone to be sick. But Doireann was not completely genuine and this story and record of it is exaggerated as much as it can be for effect. Hate me if you like but watch the highlight. And tell me after do you think all the extra medical stays and tests were necessary ?? And would you have gotten Offered immediate access to the same !?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24

Xena693

Doireann gives me the creeps. From the flat monotone to the vacant stare, the radioactive permatan, frozen face and emaciated limbs and her carrot treat at the weekend. She’s so uptight and mechanical, she’s like a deactivated robot.

Not to mention her form for dishing out completely random medical advice, vasectomy pushing and publicly fat-shaming people she knows nothing about for having a doughnut. I’d go to a vet if I was sick before taking my chances with that lunatic. Her husband must be mortified.

Reactions: 23

Breegie

As a Mother of 2 young children I really don’t know how she will cope with the sleepless nights whenever she has kids. She is obsessed with sleep hygiene which is all well and good but not when you are getting up multiple times a night, often for a few years.

She is actually supposed to be lovely in real life. I know a few girls who went to school with her and a colleague of mine used to work with her. She’s a very dedicated doctor. Very skinny alright but some people just don’t each much, doesn’t mean they have an eating disorder.

I follow her friend Hilary on Instagram who I think is absolutely hilarious. Definitely my favourite social media doctor.
Just be aware, Doireann has been very open about the fact she will struggle to have a baby after her treatment for cervical cancer. I’m sure she would happily sacrifice a few years of sleep for a baby, seeing as she has had to freeze embryos. Fertility is a sensitive topic for many, especially someone who has gone through what she has been through.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Adore mammyguthrie decent hardworking interesting human - a phenomenal role model. Doireann a pitiful twig slathered in tan eith two big eyes bursting out of her head with no hobby no life with this bland husband. The house has no life no movement no colour no actual life happening, they haven’t a home. She’s a poor gp and importantly a poor role model

Celia_Ro

I have an issue with people in an important field trying to break into social media. I couldn’t do it with my job because I’d have my p45 presented to me very swiftly!I don’t even have my company on my personal social media for fear of that happening!
I think certain titles need to remain offline. I first found her informative and she very much keeps stories to medical facts but then her feed is all selfies and tags.
I unfollowed her and Rachel Gorry too. Just had enough.I’m not adding to their pocket by following a wannabe influencer and a grief milker.

• Heart

SallyE90

He married her. One would assume they share the same views. Just how it is never said it was fair.
Ah now come on. Just because you’re married to someone doesn’t mean you share the same views all the time. I certainly don’t with my husband and don’t know any married couple who do. He’s not in the public eye, he doesn’t put himself out there, he’s private and really doesn’t deserve to be judged professionally based on his wife’s tweets/insta content. For all we know he’s raging with her and mortified by the whole thing!

• Heart

ela87

Chatty Member
I find Doireann very informative but that's about it. There is something that doesn't sit well with me about her. The wearing a hairpiece during covid when she couldnt get her hair done was a bit much and I also agree that her demeanour and attitude to food is a bit concerning at times. Id say all isnt as rosey as it appears with her.

Reactions: 21
I emailed the practise she works for to highlight my concerns, as well as some of the companies who sponsor her. Louise McSharry from 2fm highlighted her judgemental comment on twitter. We should use our voices as a community. We all deserve better. A role model she is not.

• Heart
Reactions: 21