Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Congrats!!!!

My former manager referred me for two open roles at his company. Well, for one I got a rejection note yesterday but I also got an email from a recruiter from that company asking for a meeting, which I'll have in Monday. I'm not sure whether it is for the other position, but I'm excited to chat with them.
I went to the office today for the first time since November and I stand by my verdict that the people are lovely and I would probably cry if I left, but the job itself simply isn't what it used to be anymore. I still love the product and care for it very much and that makes me sad.

Reactions: 2
HR organized a "career" discussion with a bunch of us (people who have been in the company for less than 3 years). They asked us a couple of questions as to what in our opinion makes it difficult to apply to jobs internally. HR asked each one of us for our opinion.

When my turn came, I basically said:
  • It is difficult for me to assess whether I fit a particular role based on the job description and requirements because they're either too complex or too broad. Then the HR person said: "We already know that". OK, rude. Why are you asking us for our opinion if your answer if "you already know that"?
  • Then I said it's difficult to assess whether we tick the boxes in the requirements and they said: "If you tick all the boxes, there's no challenge". I get that, but HR will generally reject your CV if you don't tick all the boxes, so you can't win!
Then, they told our group (with people from different roles / divisions) that the only way we can progress is if we have a "formal qualification" (i.e. accountancy, compliance, CFA etc). I get for some roles like HR and internal audit for instance, you need a "formal qualification" but there are a lot of roles in this global company that do not require a formal qualification. I have two law degrees and 7 years of industry experience. That should be good for some roles. Their tone was basically if you don't want to get a "formal qualification" forget about progressing in the company.

I'm not too fond of the company, but today made me feel as though I'm not "worthy" or "good enough" and any progression is out of the equation.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
HR organized a "career" discussion with a bunch of us (people who have been in the company for less than 3 years). They asked us a couple of questions as to what in our opinion makes it difficult to apply to jobs internally. HR asked each one of us for our opinion.

When my turn came, I basically said:
  • It is difficult for me to assess whether I fit a particular role based on the job description and requirements because they're either too complex or too broad. Then the HR person said: "We already know that". OK, rude. Why are you asking us for our opinion if your answer if "you already know that"?
  • Then I said it's difficult to assess whether we tick the boxes in the requirements and they said: "If you tick all the boxes, there's no challenge". I get that, but HR will generally reject your CV if you don't tick all the boxes, so you can't win!
Then, they told our group (with people from different roles / divisions) that the only way we can progress is if we have a "formal qualification" (i.e. accountancy, compliance, CFA etc). I get for some roles like HR and internal audit for instance, you need a "formal qualification" but there are a lot of roles in this global company that do not require a formal qualification. I have two law degrees and 7 years of industry experience. That should be good for some roles. Their tone was basically if you don't want to get a "formal qualification" forget about progressing in the company.

I'm not too fond of the company, but today made me feel as though I'm not "worthy" or "good enough" and any progression is out of the equation.
Sounds like you are qualified for lots of jobs. Move on. Don’t stick around.

So I handed my notice in last week at my job and no one has spoken to me about it. I had to email it in as it had to go to the main office and HR is based there and I'm not. Finding the silence very strange.

Reactions: 3
So I handed my notice in last week at my job and no one has spoken to me about it. I had to email it in as it had to go to the main office and HR is based there and I'm not. Finding the silence very strange.
It depends on how long you've been in the company and whether it's been announced to the greater team. My managers waited 2 weeks before announcing it to the rest of the team. If the team or company has a high level of turnover, maybe they simply don't care. I think we always hope management approaches us to discuss what went wrong, but sometimes it doesn't happen that way.

It depends on how long you've been in the company and whether it's been announced to the greater team. My managers waited 2 weeks before announcing it to the rest of the team. If the team or company has a high level of turnover, maybe they simply don't care. I think we always hope management approaches us to discuss what went wrong, but sometimes it doesn't happen that way.
That's the thing though. I know for a fact that it would have been passed on to the management team because they share an office with HR. We are only a small business with around 10 members of staff altogether.

I resigned from mine a couple of weeks ago, my boss acknowledged the fact by email but didn’t mention it in person until today 🤣

can you follow up with HR to confirm your last day?

I resigned from mine a couple of weeks ago, my boss acknowledged the fact by email but didn’t mention it in person until today 🤣

can you follow up with HR to confirm your last day?
I'm going to see of they contact me today and if not give them a message tomorrow. I made sure to specify my last day in the email so I'm leaving then anyway.

I would find it very strange if nobody acknowledged my notice. I think I'd worry that it wasn't posted properly, but I tend to worry about stuff.....

Do people not inform their manager that they're leaving? I'd normally first have a chat with them and say I'm leaving and I'm handing in my notice.

Do people not inform their manager that they're leaving? I'd normally first have a chat with them and say I'm leaving and I'm handing in my notice.
I would have except my boss was off when I resigned, so I spoke to his boss and followed up by email.

Reactions: 1
I work in the public sector, and I’m just so burnt out from it. I left a career beforehand (which I didn’t have any official qualifications to do) to retrain. I joined my current place to get good mat leave.
I’m trying to get pregnant but I know that the stress is likely to be impacting it, but I feel trapped. Meanwhile my mental and physical health has deteriorated & my relationship with my husband is impacted by my unhappiness too.
I just want a job, that pays okay but doesn’t burn me out emotionally.

Is anyone else in similar position?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I work in the public sector, and I’m just so burnt out from it. I left a career beforehand (which I didn’t have any official qualifications to do) to retrain. I joined my current place to get good mat leave.
I’m trying to get pregnant but I know that the stress is likely to be impacting it, but I feel trapped. Meanwhile my mental and physical health has deteriorated & my relationship with my husband is impacted by my unhappiness too.
I just want a job, that pays okay but doesn’t burn me out emotionally.

Is anyone else in similar position?

Sad thing is wages don't always match what is expected of you. My friend works as a care worker and earns pittance constantly burned out while their boss sits on the office doing nothing on over double the pay.

Hope you do become pregnant wishing you all the best on your journey x

I had the first interview with a nice recruiter lady yesterday and am desperate to hear back, hahaha. I really hope that my one-shot application works out, today was again a situation where I was completely overwhelmed and tried to explain that, but people just kept pressing on and on. At the same time, we're severely understaffed so I have to work on other projects all the time, which are major time-sinks, so I can't focus on "biggest thing since ever" project.
I would feel genuinely sorry to leave the people behind (even the ones I complained about above) as I like them all very much and they're a cool crowd, but I feel it sucking the life out of me. Heck, I even found a couple of odd strands of hair that have random white sections in them, and the other sections grow out in my normal hair colour. I was freaked out until I read that that can happen due to stress and the "intervals" are pretty regular, so I assume my perceived cycles of stress from my job are an actual thing. I'm well are that the job I applied for won't be a chillout zone either, but I'd appreciate getting away from the multi-time zone madness at least a bit. And somewhat saner projects to work on.

Reactions: 1
I had the first interview with a nice recruiter lady yesterday and am desperate to hear back, hahaha. I really hope that my one-shot application works out, today was again a situation where I was completely overwhelmed and tried to explain that, but people just kept pressing on and on. At the same time, we're severely understaffed so I have to work on other projects all the time, which are major time-sinks, so I can't focus on "biggest thing since ever" project.
I would feel genuinely sorry to leave the people behind (even the ones I complained about above) as I like them all very much and they're a cool crowd, but I feel it sucking the life out of me. Heck, I even found a couple of odd strands of hair that have random white sections in them, and the other sections grow out in my normal hair colour. I was freaked out until I read that that can happen due to stress and the "intervals" are pretty regular, so I assume my perceived cycles of stress from my job are an actual thing. I'm well are that the job I applied for won't be a chillout zone either, but I'd appreciate getting away from the multi-time zone madness at least a bit. And somewhat saner projects to work on.
Omg are you me? I have a second interview tomorrow and I'm pretty desperate to get it lol!.

Working today with not enough time to make real progress on anything is so frustrating. I'm ready to go somewhere with processes and systems and a team where you don't have to try to be part of the "boys club" to be considered in anything.

Good luck to you 🍀

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.