Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate work full stop. It’s the lack of control, the fulfilment of other people’s agendas, the office politics, the people. It all feels pointless. So many jobs are bullshit jobs. We are not saving lives, it’s all a futile game. I am a tad disillusioned you might be able to tell.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
I hate work full stop. It’s the lack of control, the fulfilment of other people’s agendas, the office politics, the people. It all feels pointless. So many jobs are bullshit jobs. We are not saving lives, it’s all a futile game. I am a tad disillusioned you might be able to tell.
It is such bullshit, isn't it. I honestly can't stop rolling my eyes, especially when I hear things like strategy, vision, mission etc. duck off meaningless words

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I keep telling people that while sometimes people throw around the word "emergency" in my job, we're not working in a hospital and nobody is dying around here, it's a tech job. Sure, if we mess up, at worst several thousand of people will have a crappy experience with their product, but that's about it.
My colleagues wife is an emergency OB/GYN (the person they'll call if things look really dire) working in the big hospital here and we actually chatted about that inflated usage of "emergency". We pretty much agreed that while our jobs are mostly fun and can create some cool stuff, it's certainly not life-changing or -saving.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I am so bored in my job at the moment. I don’t want to move on but I can’t carry on like this, I’ve barely progressed in years

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It baffles me how some people think everything is "critical" especially those who work in a purely internal function with no impact on revenue, customers or service. I agree, we're not here to save lives. Ultimately, our input is very mundane. I'm not saying people shouldn't take their work seriously, but they need to put things in perspective. In work in a function where everything is "urgent" when 80% of the time, those "urgent" items I work on go absolutely nowhere aside from being looked at and stored on a system somewhere.

I'm honestly hoping that if I get a second shot at life in another life, I will work a job that actually helps society (medicine, charity work, etc..). I'm absolutely tired of working for souless corporations which drain their staff for the sole purpose of making money.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m pretty new to a company and I don’t hate it but also don’t feel settled (which I knows comes with time) and I’m feeling a bit wary that maybe it’s not for me. I joined thinking I’d learn things but so far I don’t feel like I’m learning as much as I hoped. Rather, I feel really critical of them because I’m trying to guide things in a more appropriate way on most things I’ve been allocated. They’re open to change but I get a lot of “we need to make sure it makes sense commercially” or “There’s more than one method”(there usually isn’t) or “we just want a ballpark”(a ballpark companies are making decisions on). The problem is their methods are so wrong they might as well make an educated guess, and I’m trying to be diplomatic and not just say “you’re really wrong and might as well guess, you should be doing this method instead”, but it’s really difficult. I don’t get any job satisfaction doing things I know are a waste of time (could have just made it up). But also I don’t want to get fired for suggesting alternatives on literally everything I’m doing.

Reactions: 2
I’m pretty new to a company and I don’t hate it but also don’t feel settled (which I knows comes with time) and I’m feeling a bit wary that maybe it’s not for me. I joined thinking I’d learn things but so far I don’t feel like I’m learning as much as I hoped. Rather, I feel really critical of them because I’m trying to guide things in a more appropriate way on most things I’ve been allocated. They’re open to change but I get a lot of “we need to make sure it makes sense commercially” or “There’s more than one method”(there usually isn’t) or “we just want a ballpark”(a ballpark companies are making decisions on). The problem is their methods are so wrong they might as well make an educated guess, and I’m trying to be diplomatic and not just say “you’re really wrong and might as well guess, you should be doing this method instead”, but it’s really difficult. I don’t get any job satisfaction doing things I know are a waste of time (could have just made it up). But also I don’t want to get fired for suggesting alternatives on literally everything I’m doing.
Perhaps take what you can from the job (training etc) but look to move on. See it as a temporary post.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone quit a job early on? I moved into a new job 3 months ago and have hated every second. I’ve managed to secure a new role and will be handing my notice in soon. Luckily my notice period is only a week as I’m still in my probation period. I’m dreading it though. Worried how my manager will take it (they are part of the reason I’ve hated it here).

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Has anyone quit a job early on? I moved into a new job 3 months ago and have hated every second. I’ve managed to secure a new role and will be handing my notice in soon. Luckily my notice period is only a week as I’m still in my probation period. I’m dreading it though. Worried how my manager will take it (they are part of the reason I’ve hated it here).
Repeat after me - I am a unit of work. I exchange my labour for money. It isn’t personal if I decide to move on, it is the best thing to do for me.

(If the employer wanted to get rid of you rather than you wanting to leave, they would get rid of you in a heartbeat. Work is transactional, how your manager takes the news is his/her business, you are doing nothing wrong.) You will never see these people again. You will forget them, they will forget you, a week is nothing. Don’t give it another thought.)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@Sunflower91, how long have you been in your new company?
Just under a month. So I know part of it is me being in a bit of a panic mode having left a job I was at for a long time where I was trusted and now essentially starting from scratch and being in a probation period.

Just under a month. So I know part of it is me being in a bit of a panic mode having left a job I was at for a long time where I was trusted and now essentially starting from scratch and being in a probation period.
Oh, that is really fresh then, I'm sorry that it doesn't live up to the expectations :confused: Depending on your line of work, I'd try to stick around for 6 months and if there's no change look for something else. Easier said than done in many professions, I know...

I really hate 4 week notice periods. I’m sat here bored as hell and not really giving a tit about my job because I’m leaving. Wish it was only 2 weeks

Reactions: 4
I started a job at the end of August last year and put my notice in in December. I think you just know when it’s not for you.

Also, probation periods are just as important for the employee to decide if the job is right for them as for the employer.

It didn’t go down that well initially but I had to work until end of January and they were understanding (or at least pretended to be!) in that time.
If they are nasty about it then it just proves you have made the right choice in leaving!

Reactions: 2
I really hate 4 week notice periods. I’m sat here bored as hell and not really giving a tit about my job because I’m leaving. Wish it was only 2 weeks
I've had three months (it's the norm here when you're no longer on probation). Absolute bonkers - I had to tell everybody I was leaving and since then I'm floating in some weird space where nobody wanted to hand me stuff but since I was sticking around for so much longer, they had to give me something, otherwise I'd just sit around, so I ended up actually not handing things over, but carrying on as if I never gave notice.
6 days to go. Wednesday is my "farewell dinner", that'll be interesting and a bit sad.

Reactions: 3
My last job was 3 months notice period. I went into it thinking that the last month would be nice and chill. Ended up being absolutely slammed with work, it just never ended. I got very tempted to just outright quit

• Heart
I've had three months (it's the norm here when you're no longer on probation). Absolute bonkers - I had to tell everybody I was leaving and since then I'm floating in some weird space where nobody wanted to hand me stuff but since I was sticking around for so much longer, they had to give me something, otherwise I'd just sit around, so I ended up actually not handing things over, but carrying on as if I never gave notice.
6 days to go. Wednesday is my "farewell dinner", that'll be interesting and a bit sad.
Ouch, 3 months?! I should think myself lucky. I’m only 1 week into my notice and it’s gets worse as the days go on. Only 14 more days to go:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, three months is the norm in Germany after probation, both for the employer and employee. I understand it, it gives both sides a bit of security, but it gets a bit old if you're wanting to leave and are then stuck in the weird limbo of "leaving, but not really". I'm actually leaving a bit faster than those 12 weeks, I should have stayed until end of month, but managed to get out a bit earlier. Not sorry about it either 😆

I don't hate my job per se. I've been promoted, but the man who was going to be my manager and persuaded me to apply for the job left very suddenly about a week after I started, and the other managers possibly thought I knew more than I did and lumbered me with loads of stuff I hadn't had training for, plus it appears that the departed manager had left a lot of work uncompleted. I wasn't feeling well anyway, and I had to take 2 weeks off sick because I was so anxious. They've promised to give me an induction etc. I'm still a bit nervous about things.

It hasn't helped that of 7 people in our department, 2 are brand new, 3 are temporary/maternity cover, and the Head of Department has also put their notice in and is leaving in October.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.