Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep we’ve all done guides plus the operating system is a national one (Oracle) so there are guides there for her. I’ve started to put my Teams chat on do not disturb now hopefully she’ll get the hint… utterly soul destroying

Reactions: 4
Could you respond via email saying something like you’re not able to help further as you have previously given training to cover this area, that any further support should be sought from their line manager?
I like your user name and avatar.

The company I've applied with has confirmed my last round of interviews for next Friday! It'll be quite the day, it's six different interviews, so I had to take the day off, that's not something you squeeze in for an hour and nobody will notice (I did that with the two initial interviews).
It sounds a lot and is a lot, but I've survived the same style of interviewing twice at my current place as well.
Next week we have a big team meeting here though, which will mean late nights, etc and we'll go out on Thursday. Will have to make an early excuse and certainly won't drink anything.

Reactions: 3
The company I've applied with has confirmed my last round of interviews for next Friday! It'll be quite the day, it's six different interviews, so I had to take the day off, that's not something you squeeze in for an hour and nobody will notice (I did that with the two initial interviews).
It sounds a lot and is a lot, but I've survived the same style of interviewing twice at my current place as well.
Next week we have a big team meeting here though, which will mean late nights, etc and we'll go out on Thursday. Will have to make an early excuse and certainly won't drink anything.
The hoops they make people jump through now is ridiculous.

Reactions: 7
The hoops they make people jump through now is ridiculous.
Agreed. I just had an interview.. well 3 with the first being a half hour general chat, the second 2 tests and an hour interview and the last was an hour to go through material supplied and then present in front of 3 people for 15 minutes. Was told they would be offering me the next week. Great.

Got a call from the recruitment agent saying they couldn't get approval from the company that recently purchased their company to hire someone new so they are pulling the position from the market🤯 What a waste of my time and 1.5 days holiday used!! 😡

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Agreed. I just had an interview.. well 3 with the first being a half hour general chat, the second 2 tests and an hour interview and the last was an hour to go through material supplied and then present in front of 3 people for 15 minutes. Was told they would be offering me the next week. Great.

Got a call from the recruitment agent saying they couldn't get approval from the company that recently purchased their company to hire someone new so they are pulling the position from the market🤯 What a waste of my time and 1.5 days holiday used!! 😡
That’s awful. Who on earth do these companies think they are? Unless you’re interviewing for the MI5, one interview is more than enough.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
That’s awful. Who on earth do these companies think they are? Unless you’re interviewing for the MI5, one interview is more than enough.
I'm often sitting on the "other side" of the table, meaning that I interview candidates and my company indeed runs multiple interviews per person. It seems ridiculous to the outside and is obviously an expensive thing to do, but it has major benefits as well. The chances that you hire someone that doesn't fit are greatly reduced that way, plus you can assess whether the person would be a great fit for the company, but maybe not for the job they applied for. You have fewer people you need to let go of while on probation (major cost sink, you spend time onboarding but have no output...). But it is a luxury that only bigger companies can afford. It has good and bad sides to do it like that.

Hearing though that someone is put through the paces and did well, only to then hear that they actually didn't have a position? Major No-go! I'd actually ask whether they can refund at least travel time or something like money you had to spend on fuel.

I'm often sitting on the "other side" of the table, meaning that I interview candidates and my company indeed runs multiple interviews per person. It seems ridiculous to the outside and is obviously an expensive thing to do, but it has major benefits as well. The chances that you hire someone that doesn't fit are greatly reduced that way, plus you can assess whether the person would be a great fit for the company, but maybe not for the job they applied for. You have fewer people you need to let go of while on probation (major cost sink, you spend time onboarding but have no output...). But it is a luxury that only bigger companies can afford. It has good and bad sides to do it like that.

Hearing though that someone is put through the paces and did well, only to then hear that they actually didn't have a position? Major No-go! I'd actually ask whether they can refund at least travel time or something like money you had to spend on fuel.
I really appreciate hearing the other side of the coin. I can understand multiple rounds of interviews to make sure both the candidate and the company are comfortable with each other, but what's described above is insane. It was multiple interviews, tests and then a presentation in 1.5 days (to paraphrase the poster)...I mean, that's an enormous amount of pressure and stress. Why push someone to fatigue like this when you could spread it out over several days and give them time to regroup/ think. Nobody would perform well at the end of that.
I understand they want to see people "under pressure" but you're already seeing them under pressure as interviewing is anxiety-inducing in most. It just feels excessive to me. Especially if the person interviewing is in dire need of a job, this is a quick way to break their spirits (putting them through all that and then not hiring them). I've been there and it crushed me. They probably knew early on that they didn't want me but put me through a battery of tests anyway. It was awful to feel like my time and energy had been wasted.
Sorry to go off on a tangent. :oops:

@2xblended Fully agree with you on that one, that company sounds like a nightmare and the interviews as well. I'm not sure I'd want to know which company that was, but they wouldn't gain any "nice points" in my mind. Also, if that happened to me and they would have the audacity to come back at a later point and ask if I was still interested, I would very likely refuse. I wouldn't want to work for them after that...

The company I work for and the company I've applied with both seem a lot kinder in that regard - there was always at least a week between interviews, so a good amount of time to prepare for it and clear your schedule to actually have time for it.

Your company sounds much more reasonable, @Codiaeum. Thanks again for the alternative perspective. I was always so upset by my experiences that I never considered how much it benefits companies to do multiple interviews and avoid a high turnover, so thanks for teaching me something new. (y)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It's my last week at my current job and I start my new one next Monday!!! 4 shifts to go!!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I started a new place a few weeks ago, same role but a different location, absolutely hate it. Tried to stick it out cause the money was a massive pay rise bit mentally it’s breaking me. I feel if if I ask to transfer then it will look like I couldn’t hack it and put a black mark on my record. No idea what to do

• Sad
  • Heart
I started a new place a few weeks ago, same role but a different location, absolutely hate it. Tried to stick it out cause the money was a massive pay rise bit mentally it’s breaking me. I feel if if I ask to transfer then it will look like I couldn’t hack it and put a black mark on my record. No idea what to do
I would stick it out for a few months. If after three months you feel the same, ask to transfer. It may settle for you. If not, there is no point in prolonging the agony. Why would you get a black mark just for deciding something isn’t for you.

I think as the poster above said if you can tread water for a little bit this will give you time to either settle or put together a plan about how to exit. Knowing there’s only x days/weeks left can really make a terrible situation more bearable. In terms of transferring do you mean back to your old location or just another one? Are there things in particular about you current location that you know for sure wouldn’t be an issue if you went elsewhere?

Reactions: 2
I had my final round of interviews today, with 6 chats in total. The people were all really nice so I hope it works out. At the same time, we had a huge team meeting with my current team this week and I enjoyed it, so I think if it doesn't work out, I'm not feeling as gloomy about my team as I did a month ago. The hours I'm putting would still be insane though, so that would be sooo nice to get away from.

Does anyone have a WFH job? I kinda think I want to go down this route but wanted to hear pros and cons? I never got to work from home throughout the pandemic so I’ve never experienced it before

Reactions: 1
Does anyone have a WFH job? I kinda think I want to go down this route but wanted to hear pros and cons? I never got to work from home throughout the pandemic so I’ve never experienced it before
I’m wfh and I don’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would, primarily because I find it quite isolating. I never thought I’d miss gossiping in the canteen! My job (legal) isn’t very social in terms of collaborating so my days can be spent literally not speaking to another soul. I also don’t like having work in my house, because it never feels like I actually get away from it. However there are perks - zero commute, able to make and eat proper meals and snacks throughout the day (no more Tesco sandwiches 🤢), pop outside for a stroll if I feel like it etc. Also not having to dress up for work….although I kinda miss that in a weird way. I’d say a lot of it depends on the kind of work you do and why you’re thinking about wfh as an option!

I’m wfh and I don’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would, primarily because I find it quite isolating. I never thought I’d miss gossiping in the canteen! My job (legal) isn’t very social in terms of collaborating so my days can be spent literally not speaking to another soul. I also don’t like having work in my house, because it never feels like I actually get away from it. However there are perks - zero commute, able to make and eat proper meals and snacks throughout the day (no more Tesco sandwiches 🤢), pop outside for a stroll if I feel like it etc. Also not having to dress up for work….although I kinda miss that in a weird way. I’d say a lot of it depends on the kind of work you do and why you’re thinking about wfh as an option!
It's interesting how different people feel about it. I've been loving working from home. Hate small talk in the office and it was always taking so much out of me I didn't want to do anything with my friends on weekends and just wanted to isolate. I also don't find it difficult at all to separate work from life, even when I lived in a tiny place, I just turn the laptop off and that's it. There are hardly any negatives for me. But it really depends what kind of person you are I guess, I'm relatively introverted I think so going to the office is just effort. I'm more productive at home too as don't have the distraction of people constantly talking and.moving around near me.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.