Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been lurking on this thread for a while. I currently hate my job. The feeling of absolute dread I have every day is overwhelming. I used to love my job, until I switched to a new team in September. Everything went down hill rapidly. My team leader is horrible and my direct supervisor deliberately gives me tasks that are far beyond by capabilities, won’t give me and help and then sends me big long emails criticising the work I have done. My mental health is at an all time low. I cannot think clearly and I don’t know what to do. I cannot continue feeling like this.
I am in the exact same position as you. No job or situation is worth your mental health. I’ve sent off my first application for other jobs and already having done that I feel a little bit of relief and some hope that it won’t be like this forever. I’m a bit stuck in terms of currently going through a mortgage process so having to be a bit careful in terms of salary but otherwise I would just urge you to take the plunge and find something you think you’ll enjoy for a salary you can survive off. Even if you have to take something that’s not 100% ideal for now and then can keep looking for the perfect job afterwards but just getting out of the place that’s making you dread every day is going to do wonders for you. We shouldn’t have to be forced to hate the majority of our week.

Also as a side note when going through applications and online assessments etc. I’ve noticed a lot of company’s will actively put it out there that if you expect a work-life balance then the job/company isn’t for you. I understand they want people that will work hard and give it their all but how is it acceptable in this day and age that big companies are still not valuing their employees mental health and letting them have time outside work free of thinking about the job. Blows my mind!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
There is a possibility that some of the people I work with, may use Tattle. I don't know this for a fact, but I am hoping that someone might recognise my situation.
Recently I had took part in a review of my job, with two other members of staff. I thought the job might improve because of this meeting, but it has become a lot harder. I just feel so stressed right now
There is an added complication, I am receiving some finacial help from Universal Credit - it is all above board, I have declared the fact that I am working. I am really concerned about how they will react, if I leave my job. Will they harrass me, like they did when I was unemployed?
It is probably one of the worst times to leave a job before Christmas, but I feel that I can't work there much longer under the circumstances.

Reactions: 2
Unfortunately for me, it seems someone in senior management is probably building a case around me.

As stated in a previous post, I've always been the one to always accept projects, working on various simultaneous projects (mandatory and ad-hoc) while other people with far more capacity were never approached for any of these. It lead to me working 12+ hours a day + weekends since January 2021. All this overtime unpaid. I'm a very detail oriented person, so my work is generally of high quality.

Anyway. We started a project on a portfolio I had not received any handover for. I was provided with a particular set of data by the data team and we used that to define the scope of the project. We met all thresholds based on that data. Fast forward, someone comes back two months later as we're closing the project, to tell me there was missing information in the data provided and it was amended retroactively. Unfortunately, this meant we not longer met the required thresholds and has turned in a big problem which still hasn't been solved two weeks later.

This morning, the person in senior management scheduled a meeting with my direct manager, the project lead on the project I mentioned above and another project lead who has been my main stakeholder (this person is not at all involved in the above project). The two project leads don't work with anyone else in the team except me. My manager is not involved in any projects, he just has an oversight function (and he's well aware of the issue I stated above).

I have a strong feeling this person in senior management set up this meeting for the project leads to provide feedback on me in front of my manager. Something is really off because I don't see any common project between any of them.

The nature of my job means that it is difficult for me to work from home, although I do occasionally. The rest of my team work on another site so I’m pretty much in the office alone all day every day…and it’s really really getting me down as I feel so isolated. I haven’t read through this thread so forgive me if this seems like a small problem but if anyone has any tips for getting through the day please do share!

I am actually looking to make a complete career change but it’s proving more difficult that I first thought.

Yes me.

I'm on mat leave at the minute with a newborn but I'm dreading going back.

Reactions: 3
Today was my last day in the job that has made me unhappy for the last few years. I'm so glad I took the plunge six weeks ago and decided enough was enough. I have gone from self employed to unemployed but my mental health has massively improved since I decided to quit, so I have no regrets. I plan to have a month off as in the last 10 years I've barely taken any time off work, just to be at home, and I will look for something new in the new year.

I'm in a fortunate position that I can afford to do this but to be honest I was at breaking point, so even if I couldn't, it needed to happen or else I would have had to be off with stress.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Not here to complain about my job but can I please urge some of you to start putting what’s happening in your workplaces in writing? Eg IT taking ages to sort you out - email manager to say that’s why you can’t do XYZ job. You’ve asked for a meeting about workload and it’s sprung on you that suddenly you’re incompetent - email to follow up that you’ve only been told about this once you’ve expressed concerns about your competence. Being told you’re not speaking up enough in meetings - email to say you find it hard to get a word in so can they implement a policy where you have to ‘raise your hand’ on Teams etc to ensure everyone who wants to speak gets a chance. Some of these posts are employment tribunals waiting to happen and if you don’t document these things you’re going to be up tit creek without a paddle.
Back to lurking!
Good advice, screenshot and document every bit/timeline too.
I’m currently waiting for preliminary hearing about my ET case, and thank god I did this!
Be prepared though, it’s a battle, but a battle worth fighting for if your employer has broken legislation/law and trampled all over your self-worth & boundaries. This is how employers get away with awful behaviour because people just move on to new jobs/sink in private.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Anyone else got premature blues for going back to work? I’m back in on Tuesday and it’s like a dark cloud hanging over my last couple of days off. I worked ‘til Xmas eve as I wanted to bank some leave.

I’m not in a “duck this place” position but going to start the new year with a strict timetable and make sure I’m logged off (and switched off) by that time. I won’t be going the extra mile etc. just what is required. That’s helping.

Reactions: 7
Anyone else got premature blues for going back to work? I’m back in on Tuesday and it’s like a dark cloud hanging over my last couple of days off. I worked ‘til Xmas eve as I wanted to bank some leave.

I’m not in a “duck this place” position but going to start the new year with a strict timetable and make sure I’m logged off (and switched off) by that time. I won’t be going the extra mile etc. just what is required. That’s helping.
Yes the thought of having to go back and face another year of the same bullsh!t I’ve put up with for years is making me feel sick to my stomach.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5

Iv honestly been thinking about work since Thursday and dreading going back. I'm an accountant and it's a busy time when I go back which doesn't help. Don't feel like iv had enough time off to completely forget about it although I think I'm at the stage where there isn't enough time I could have off to help 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Iv honestly been thinking about work since Thursday and dreading going back. I'm an accountant and it's a busy time when I go back which doesn't help. Don't feel like iv had enough time off to completely forget about it although I think I'm at the stage where there isn't enough time I could have off to help 😔
Very relatable! I feel like booking leave as soon as I log on tomorrow 😐

I hope everyone has a decent week anyway and it’s not as bad as it feels, only four days ‘til the weekend ⏱

Reactions: 4
Very relatable! I feel like booking leave as soon as I log on tomorrow 😐

I hope everyone has a decent week anyway and it’s not as bad as it feels, only four days ‘til the weekend ⏱
I actually booked the last week in Jan off 🤣 carryover holiday and think il need a break!

• Heart
I can’t put into words how much I am dreading going in tomorrow I could cry thinking about it 😞

• Sad
  • Heart
I have decided to try and act positive about it. It won’t last, but I figure it is something I have to do. Also, I figure there are loads of people who would probably love a secure job, so I am trying to come at it from the gratitude angle. Sorry, if I sound sanctimonious, but I am trying to reframe it. Being downbeat about it is only hurting me.

Also, before I went off on leave I organised myself. Deleted loads, file etc. Makes me feel more in control.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
For the first time in my working life I haven't got that dread about going into work tomorrow, since I have up my job before Christmas. But I do feel a little bit sad that I'm not going back, which is weird because I really hated my job by the end. I suppose I bet make the most of it as it'll hopefully member happen again!

Reactions: 3
WWYD!
I work for a small training provider, based within a much bigger training operation - we are effectively a tenant of theirs. Let's call them the landlord!
The Landlord has a job advertised for a new division they are creating. I would smash it, and they are also a much more professional and corporate organisation, better hours, decent money and I am not likely to be micro managed every day of my life.
I really want to apply, but I am terrified that it will get back to my manager. Even if not directly - because I know the Landlord would maintain confidentiality, but just if I am seen attending an interview, or someone accidentally lets it slip. Also if I got the job, how awkward it would be seeing my current boss and what an hole she can be towards people makes me anxious.
I don't know what to do!
I know what I want to do, but am I brave enough to do it.

WWYD!
I work for a small training provider, based within a much bigger training operation - we are effectively a tenant of theirs. Let's call them the landlord!
The Landlord has a job advertised for a new division they are creating. I would smash it, and they are also a much more professional and corporate organisation, better hours, decent money and I am not likely to be micro managed every day of my life.
I really want to apply, but I am terrified that it will get back to my manager. Even if not directly - because I know the Landlord would maintain confidentiality, but just if I am seen attending an interview, or someone accidentally lets it slip. Also if I got the job, how awkward it would be seeing my current boss and what an hole she can be towards people makes me anxious.
I don't know what to do!
Just do it. You want to better yourself, ambition is not a sin. Look at this way, if your present company had to make redundancies they would boot you out in the blink of any eye. You work there to fund your lifestyle, you don’t owe them a lifetime’s labour. If you leave you will be replaced. Think like a guy (I am sure you are female, men would just go for it, even if woefully under qualified). When you get it, and you see your current boss, who gives a shiny shite what she thinks. You have moved on. Know your worth and blooming well apply.

WWYD!
I don't know what to do!
Absolutely go for it!!!

• Heart
Just came across this thread and looking for advise.

I recently started a new job and in my probation period- I HATE IT that on days, I have visions of walking out and to never return.

Anyway, I have found a new job (yay). I've not yet told my current employer- mainly because I am a wimp as they aren't very nice senior management at all and I know they will make my life a living hell.

My notice period is a week so I appreciate its not long at all but I am so nervous... what would happen if I just never turned up again? 🤣 (I'm half joking/half serious 🤭)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.