Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The work I do is quite monotonous. It's also physical quite hard because I'm standing all day and going back and forth carrying boxes of stock from palettes to my work station. I'm always tired by the end of the day.

Despite that, it's the best job I've had because the people there are the nicest I've ever worked with. I'm friendly with a lot of people there and more importantly there's no one there I dislike. I've been there four years now which is the longest I've ever been in one job and I thank my lucky stars every day that I got employed there.
The culture of the workplace is absolutely the most important thing for me! I’ve been in my role a few years now and I genuinely think it’s because the directors sold their company to me as much as I sold myself to them in the interviews. We are like a huge family (with the odd bad apple, like any family 😜) I worked in so many places where people seen levels as being “beneath” or “above” them but this place we all just get along and pull together. It’s a lovely place to work

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Finding this thread couldn’t have come at a better time. I’m feeling so miserable and stuck, I dread every single day and it’s affecting my health and mental well-being.

Long story short, I got moved teams and dislike my nee role and manager and have lost all motivation. The company is full of misogynists and people who won’t accept any work/life balance. I’ve been forced to work in the office the whole way through Covid dealing with some pretty tough conditions from both that and Brexit combined and honestly thing I’m burnt out. My new manager is not impressed with where I am in my learning compared to others in different teams with different experiences and had a pretty brutal meeting about it where he just listed all the things I’m not meeting his expectations on. Majority of which I think are a bit of a joke considering I’m near enough being forced into the office all the time and he wouldn’t know what work I was doing or not as he’s never about for support.

The only thing is the pay is good but I’m now at the point where I don’t think the physical and mental strain is worth it. My hair is falling out, I have endless sleep problems and I wake up every day depressed about work. I have no motivation to do anything outside or work and just want to lie around indoors. Unfortunately I’m in the process of buying a house and regretfully now went for a new build which is delayed. I always hear how you can’t leave your job whilst waiting for mortgages to be confirmed but I really don’t think I can stick it out until next May (that’s if there’s no more delays!). The only hope would be trying to find a job on similar pay and praying the mortgage company would continue with it but I think that will be a bit of a stretch to be honest as I’d want to change roles completely.

Just wanted to rant really and read stories of others in similar positions so I know it’s not just me spending endless days crying and hating working!

Hope you all find positive solutions soon.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I don't hate my job, I enjoy it, but I would say I'm anxious about my level of responsibility and the amount of stuff I have to do. I don't have a lot of motivation. I would prefer to have a job with less responsibility, but I need the $$$

• Heart
I’ve been at this job a few months. Everything is going quite well as far as I was concerned.

My workload has doubled since September so I asked my boss for a meeting about my wellbeing and work expectations.

I turned up to the meeting today and they basically decided to turn the meeting into a discussion about my incompetence and inability to do my job. This came from absolutely nowhere.

As you can tell, I am feeling like absolute shite.
Update: my work is currently being audited by the industry regulator and I was BRUTAL in the anonymous employee feedback form.

flavor-of-love-new-york.gif

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
I've finally taken the plunge and decided to close my business... Its been making me miserable for a very long time and now I've made the decision I feel much lighter and free! No idea what I want to do next but I have enough saved to tide me over for a couple of months while I decide.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I love my job but being in financial services means that every job I’ve had so far has been dominated by men and the women are all against each other in order to get the best jobs, which there aren’t many of for the department I’m in!
Currently im the only girl in the team - is this reason enough to leave?!? 😩

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Not here to complain about my job but can I please urge some of you to start putting what’s happening in your workplaces in writing? Eg IT taking ages to sort you out - email manager to say that’s why you can’t do XYZ job. You’ve asked for a meeting about workload and it’s sprung on you that suddenly you’re incompetent - email to follow up that you’ve only been told about this once you’ve expressed concerns about your competence. Being told you’re not speaking up enough in meetings - email to say you find it hard to get a word in so can they implement a policy where you have to ‘raise your hand’ on Teams etc to ensure everyone who wants to speak gets a chance. Some of these posts are employment tribunals waiting to happen and if you don’t document these things you’re going to be up tit creek without a paddle.
Back to lurking!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I have new mantra, that I have been saying since 10am. this morning. It is my last day of the weekend shift, so the mantra is -
"I'm well on my way, till the end of the day."
Its a small thing, but it helps.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Not here to complain about my job but can I please urge some of you to start putting what’s happening in your workplaces in writing? Eg IT taking ages to sort you out - email manager to say that’s why you can’t do XYZ job. You’ve asked for a meeting about workload and it’s sprung on you that suddenly you’re incompetent - email to follow up that you’ve only been told about this once you’ve expressed concerns about your competence. Being told you’re not speaking up enough in meetings - email to say you find it hard to get a word in so can they implement a policy where you have to ‘raise your hand’ on Teams etc to ensure everyone who wants to speak gets a chance. Some of these posts are employment tribunals waiting to happen and if you don’t document these things you’re going to be up tit creek without a paddle.
Back to lurking!
Great advice!
I’ve got a check-in tomorrow and I’m going to raise some shady treatment, I’ve put it in the form (as neutral as possible). The “team boss” seems to treat a colleague as his pet project and I’ve had enough. He’s encroaching on my projects because he wants a promotion, but he’s useless and I hate how this boss is grooming him 🤬 I wouldn’t care if he was good but he’s an entitled oaf. He’s getting involved with another of my pieces of work now so enough is enough.

Reactions: 1
I don't hate my job, the work is actually interesting and although it can be stressful at times the workload is fine. My boss is awful, he has no manners, he's rude and quite frankly I'm now at the point where I can't stand him. I'll come in and say "Morning", he won't even acknowledge I've spoken or reply. He never uses his manners, he'll simply drop tasks on my desk, tap the files and walk away expecting me to know what to do. He's lazy, he'll forward me emails and just put "print attachments". No please, thank you etc. In the time he's taken to forward it, he could have printed himself. He's miserable, he makes me feel like he hates me just because he barely acknowledges me. It's lonely as we're a tiny office and I might as well be on my own most of the time. Sometimes, aside from answering the phone to clients, I can go a whole day without saying a single word. I feel so uncomfortable and on edge around him that sometimes I'll just go and stand in the toilets and cry.

He called me a "petty idiot" the other day because I found something that HE didn't open his eyes properly to look for. It's not on.

I've put up with it for so long but now I've finally decided I've got to just leave. He's never going to change and no job is worth sacrificing your mental health. This is my dream sector to be working in, but I'm now at the point where I'm willing to get any job just to get away. If I didn't have a mortgage to pay I'd walk out of here tonight and never come back.

• Sad
I don't hate my job, the work is actually interesting and although it can be stressful at times the workload is fine. My boss is awful, he has no manners, he's rude and quite frankly I'm now at the point where I can't stand him. I'll come in and say "Morning", he won't even acknowledge I've spoken or reply. He never uses his manners, he'll simply drop tasks on my desk, tap the files and walk away expecting me to know what to do. He's lazy, he'll forward me emails and just put "print attachments". No please, thank you etc. In the time he's taken to forward it, he could have printed himself. He's miserable, he makes me feel like he hates me just because he barely acknowledges me. It's lonely as we're a tiny office and I might as well be on my own most of the time. Sometimes, aside from answering the phone to clients, I can go a whole day without saying a single word. I feel so uncomfortable and on edge around him that sometimes I'll just go and stand in the toilets and cry.

He called me a "petty idiot" the other day because I found something that HE didn't open his eyes properly to look for. It's not on.

I've put up with it for so long but now I've finally decided I've got to just leave. He's never going to change and no job is worth sacrificing your mental health. This is my dream sector to be working in, but I'm now at the point where I'm willing to get any job just to get away. If I didn't have a mortgage to pay I'd walk out of here tonight and never come back.
Sounds like a misogynistic head on a power trip. It sounds horrendous being stuck with him all day.

• Heart
I started my current job last year. It’s fine, the people are great but I am bored. So bored. It just isn’t my thing at all. Not what I want to do for a long time. It isn’t helped that I am overlooked and left out all of the time so don’t get opportunities for any projects that might make the job more interesting. I think I will give it until the middle of next year then start applying for other jobs.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I started my current job last year. It’s fine, the people are great but I am bored. So bored. It just isn’t my thing at all. Not what I want to do for a long time. It isn’t helped that I am overlooked and left out all of the time so don’t get opportunities for any projects that might make the job more interesting. I think I will give it until the middle of next year then start applying for other jobs.
No, don’t wait. Start looking now. Life is too short.

• Heart
My actual work is “meh”, my boss however is an absolute wazzock. when I took this job, I was interviewed for almost 2 hours, mainly about why I was stepping downwards. I’ve previously held management roles in large property firms but decided I’d had enough of the stress & call outs and general crap that goes with property management and took the job I have now- very basic admin, nothing stressful, no drama, no chaos. My boss is 10 years younger than me, it’s her dads company, and she refuses to let me use my brain. If I suggest something she says no. She will give me instructions to do something one day, then when I replicate it the following day she tells me I’m wrong. I’ve been there almost 2 years and I am still not allowed to send an email until she’s proof read it - and she makes changes every single bleeping time, or seal an envelope until she’s checked the contents.
I lost my tit this week when she told me I’d breached GDPR. I laughed, she got offended, I pointed out I implemented the GDPR policy at my previous job, and also at the voluntary job I do and I am very familiar with the guidelines and there was no breach, when she came back at me I quoted part of the guidelines to her and she then said “well, I didn’t mean GDPR exactly, I just meant I don’t think you should have contacted that person”
I’ve never ever come across a manager like it. She is truly dreadful.
I am looking elsewhere now, updated my CV this week and started applying for bits and bobs.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
My actual work is “meh”, my boss however is an absolute wazzock. when I took this job, I was interviewed for almost 2 hours, mainly about why I was stepping downwards. I’ve previously held management roles in large property firms but decided I’d had enough of the stress & call outs and general crap that goes with property management and took the job I have now- very basic admin, nothing stressful, no drama, no chaos. My boss is 10 years younger than me, it’s her dads company, and she refuses to let me use my brain. If I suggest something she says no. She will give me instructions to do something one day, then when I replicate it the following day she tells me I’m wrong. I’ve been there almost 2 years and I am still not allowed to send an email until she’s proof read it - and she makes changes every single bleeping time, or seal an envelope until she’s checked the contents.
I lost my tit this week when she told me I’d breached GDPR. I laughed, she got offended, I pointed out I implemented the GDPR policy at my previous job, and also at the voluntary job I do and I am very familiar with the guidelines and there was no breach, when she came back at me I quoted part of the guidelines to her and she then said “well, I didn’t mean GDPR exactly, I just meant I don’t think you should have contacted that person”
I’ve never ever come across a manager like it. She is truly dreadful.
I am looking elsewhere now, updated my CV this week and started applying for bits and bobs.
She’s clearly threatened by you which is such a shame because it sounds like she could have learned a lot from you! You are definitely doing the right thing moving on! Sounds like you’ll be snapped up quickly - keep us posted!

• Heart
I haven't posted in here in a while, but today is by far the cherry on top which reminds me of why I hate my job. Ever since I joined, my OCD has gone from bad to worse because it's as though they set people up for failure purposefully. For instance:
  • We are audited on a quarterly basis and we get "report" cards which are circulated to the whole team and senior management. Every single employee in the function is listed on there with a rating that can range from "Ineffective" to "Effective". Anyone in your team can see your results, which I believe goes against every single principle supporting performance confidentiality.
  • A couple months ago, it appeared there was an issue in the system not feeding into another system. Information in field A was not feeding into the other system, so even though field A is the correct field, you have to replicate the exact same information into fields B & C for the sole purpose of having field A feed correctly into the other system. They implemented this non-sense workaround instead of fixing their IT systems. A couple months ago, I forgot about this workaround and simply input the information into field A as it was the field that was the correct field. We got flagged by internal audit and got a rating of "Ineffective". How is this even logical? Why are you punishing your employees with a negative rating instead of fixing the system issue in the first place?
  • Again, some data we use to define the scope of our projects is parsed manually. A couple months ago, I sent July data to a stakeholder for them to define the scope of their project. I didn't think much of it. The data was made available and no one lifted a finger to say it was incorrect, so I sent this across to the stakeholder. Based on this specific set of data, we met the minimum threshold for the scope, all good. Fast forward, some guy in my team contacted me early November saying he amended the July data retroactively because some items were missing due to a data mapping issue. I didn't think much of it since the project scope had already been approved and we're reaching final stage. Except, for the purpose of my final stats, I had to utilize the amended data only to realize $20BN was missing in the original data I sent because of this mapping issue. This is a huge problem because we this set of revised data, it brings us below the threshold and we're not compliant, which means the whole project is stale. How can a company operate with a $20BN floating in the air incorrectly mapped? Now, I'm going to be blamed for providing incorrect data when I had just inherited from the portfolio and couldn't really assess whether the figures were incorrect.
  • Last but not least, mistakes will happen because I have been working 9am -10pm since January with back to back even simultaneous projects when the rule is to never have back to back projects. I'm the only one in my team who has been suffering with this type of scheduled and I simply cannot deal with this anymore. I had mandatory regulatory projects which are heavy in nature, but on top of this, they decided to drop a couple of internal projects on me at the same time and I don't have the capacity to deal with these during business hours, so they're all dealt with during overtime which is unpaid. While everyone took 2/3 weeks off this year, I only took one week off in July and even that was a disaster as I had to log in. Not to mention, the company granted everyone a company day off (Friday) for everyone to have a long weekend and I was asked to log in on a Saturday morning (during that particular long weekend) to handle something. Pure hypocrisy.
  • They moved some of our responsibilities to a new team and didn't train them. As a result, the person who inherited from my portfolio delivered a really poor analysis to a senior stakeholder who kept coming back to her for questions and drill-downs. She then kept playing dumb telling me she didn't know what he wanted and I specifically stated I was on training that full week, so I had no capacity. I tried to schedule a call with her to show her how to drill-down and she refused. In the end, I ended up having to redraft the entire analysis during and after my training from 3pm to 10pm on the same day for the stakeholder to meet his deadline. I was robbed off a chance to study for this training and when I raised it to my manager I was told: "This portfolio analysis will actually be handled by you moving forward". So, they re-assigned it to me when it's the new team's job. How is this fair?
  • You never get a "thank you" for anything and get blamed if things go wrong. I bended over and backwards for a project lead and worked evenings / weekends to cater to their requests. When I asked for feedback, I got none.
I could go on and on and on about the very many problems they have. I used to be a top performed in prior companies and now I've lost both my confidence and my mental peace. I feel as though everything I do is riddled with mistakes or could be viewed as such even though I'm a very diligent and detailed oriented person.

I took two days off at the end of last week and I'm back now to a mess. I'm on the verge of never logging in again and disappear without giving any notice. This company is sickening. I find myself triple checking everything I do even in my private life out of fear of "mistakes" (this whole quarterly internal audit ratings). On top of this, I now have severe insomnia and when I finally manage to sleep, I wake up in the middle of the night riddled with anxiety over what's waiting for me at work (happened last night). I can't enjoy my weekends because I panic over the amount of work I have. It's really awful to say the least.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
I’ve been lurking on this thread for a while. I currently hate my job. The feeling of absolute dread I have every day is overwhelming. I used to love my job, until I switched to a new team in September. Everything went down hill rapidly. My team leader is horrible and my direct supervisor deliberately gives me tasks that are far beyond by capabilities, won’t give me and help and then sends me big long emails criticising the work I have done. My mental health is at an all time low. I cannot think clearly and I don’t know what to do. I cannot continue feeling like this.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve been lurking on this thread for a while. I currently hate my job. The feeling of absolute dread I have every day is overwhelming. I used to love my job, until I switched to a new team in September. Everything went down hill rapidly. My team leader is horrible and my direct supervisor deliberately gives me tasks that are far beyond by capabilities, won’t give me and help and then sends me big long emails criticising the work I have done. My mental health is at an all time low. I cannot think clearly and I don’t know what to do. I cannot continue feeling like this.
Start looking for something else. No job is worth your mental health and they sound like absolute arses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.