Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In a way, yes. I like the job itself but I work for an agency and don't enjoy dealing with them. Just find it awkward to say no or change my availability as I'm also a student. The pay is rubbish. I've never been sure what I actually want to do.
I still don't know what I want to do! I fell into my job after uni then progressed into management 15/20 years ago and I love mentoring, training and encouraging people to grow. I'd love to do a job that "means something" - nursing, charity etc but I like the money in my job and I love the challenge. I'm not good with blood and body fluids so I know nursing wouldn't be a good career change for me.

I do get a sense of fulfilment when I work with people and they develop and grow in confidence and / or ability, especially when they move on and thank me for being a "great mentor" but I definitely have imposter syndrome!

Reactions: 1
I posted on here way back when but today I officially had my contract terminated. I’m going to seek some legal advice as I’ve been treated so poorly and I just can’t understand this being very legal. I don’t know, it’s a wild one

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
I posted on here way back when but today I officially had my contract terminated. I’m going to seek some legal advice as I’ve been treated so poorly and I just can’t understand this being very legal. I don’t know, it’s a wild one
Ah good luck waffle see ya on the F1 page 😊

• Heart
I know this thread hasn't been that active recently but i've been in a new job a few months, quite junior role and recently got pulled up by my manager who said it had come up in team (small ish team under 8 people) that I don't contribute to team discussions enough. It's really annoyed me and made me feel self conscious and worried about next going into office! I hadn't exactly been loving the job but not hating it either. The issue is the conversations are not work related at all, quite political and on topics i know nothing about, colleagues are mostly male, quite a bit older and have been at company considerable amount of years, im not who enjoys a debate or sharing too much personal information. Plus it's not a networking/sales industry quite the opposite and stereotype is people are quite quiet who work in it anyway!

• Sad
I know this thread hasn't been that active recently but i've been in a new job a few months, quite junior role and recently got pulled up by my manager who said it had come up in team (small ish team under 8 people) that I don't contribute to team discussions enough. It's really annoyed me and made me feel self conscious and worried about next going into office! I hadn't exactly been loving the job but not hating it either. The issue is the conversations are not work related at all, quite political and on topics i know nothing about, colleagues are mostly male, quite a bit older and have been at company considerable amount of years, im not who enjoys a debate or sharing too much personal information. Plus it's not a networking/sales industry quite the opposite and stereotype is people are quite quiet who work in it anyway!
I could have written this myself. Im the only one who is a woman in a managerial role with 6 men. No problem. Except they talk about football, sports and where to meet up next. Im not one to spend all my time with work people but will happily listen to their banter. But then at my review it's you need to be more visable. I literally cant get a word in.

I could have written this myself. Im the only one who is a woman in a managerial role with 6 men. No problem. Except they talk about football, sports and where to meet up next. Im not one to spend all my time with work people but will happily listen to their banter. But then at my review it's you need to be more visable. I literally cant get a word in.
Eugh I hate this, why is it your job to make yourself ‘visible’ rather than other people’s jobs to not treat someone as if they are invisible? If I was in a setting like this I would try to talk about something that someone else might be able to get involved in.. but then again I think women do that far more than men

Reactions: 6
I have the same issue too! I'm told I need to be more visible and participate more in group calls. However, when group calls take place, they all talk on top of each other trying to get attention and I don't like to cut people off mid-sentence, so there you go. If by chance they say "TheGlossy, correct me if I'm wrong" or "TheGlossy, anything from your side": there's ALWAYS someone jumping in before I even get the chance to speak and they go on a tangent on another topic for another 10 minutes at which point the subject of the conversation has changed entirely and my contribution would be irrelevant. Some people like to talk for the sake of being heard and it's not my style. I've got not issues speaking in a physical meeting, but in calls, I don't like it. I never know when it's my turn to speak and I don't like to cut people off.

I’ve been at this job a few months. Everything is going quite well as far as I was concerned.

My workload has doubled since September so I asked my boss for a meeting about my wellbeing and work expectations.

I turned up to the meeting today and they basically decided to turn the meeting into a discussion about my incompetence and inability to do my job. This came from absolutely nowhere.

As you can tell, I am feeling like absolute shite.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I’ve been at this job a few months. Everything is going quite well as far as I was concerned.

My workload has doubled since September so I asked my boss for a meeting about my wellbeing and work expectations.

I turned up to the meeting today and they basically decided to turn the meeting into a discussion about my incompetence and inability to do my job. This came from absolutely nowhere.

I am in a similar situation. I picked up this job from the lady who actually started the role in my workplace last March and from day 1 I have had to muddle my way through; with no real leadership or training. My manager changed in March and all of a sudden it’s been for the last few months “you’re not doing the right things” “you’re not working at the right level” and now I’m going to be performance reviewed by HR. I feel totally let down tbh.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5

Big hugs! You’re trying your best and you’re fairly new, don’t be hard on yourself! They sound unprofessional though

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Eugh I hate this, why is it your job to make yourself ‘visible’ rather than other people’s jobs to not treat someone as if they are invisible? If I was in a setting like this I would try to talk about something that someone else might be able to get involved in.. but then again I think women do that far more than men
Exactly. Also I like to just get on with my work and speak up if I need a sounding board or help with something but because my male counterparts ask advice one everything they are "visable". Then my boss will be like "have you seen that email from 2 weeks ago from the auditors? We need to get that done" and il be like " yes it's done and signed off" and he will be surprised with " oh well done". Just because I don't make a song and dance about it I get penalised!.

Exactly. Also I like to just get on with my work and speak up if I need a sounding board or help with something but because my male counterparts ask advice one everything they are "visable". Then my boss will be like "have you seen that email from 2 weeks ago from the auditors? We need to get that done" and il be like " yes it's done and signed off" and he will be surprised with " oh well done". Just because I don't make a song and dance about it I get penalised!.
I’ve been in this situation before, learn to manage up. Make yourself super visible, even if it feels a bit uncomfortable. One way that a member of my team did this was by sending a weekly update to our team on where he was with certain tasks. He’s quite shy and I think struggles to interject while we are all quite extrovert and it has honesty done wonders for the dynamic of the team x

I'm getting really annoyed now. We're constantly monitored by Internal Audit. I had a debacle with them a few weeks ago in relation to them saying we didn't do something on a project when we actually did.

Anyways. A few months ago, I was OOO on annual leave and my manager sent an email saying due to a system issue (one system not feeding correctly into another), we had to copy the exact same information into three different fields for it to feed correctly into the system. I got back from leave and I somehow missed that email. We had a project and I correctly input the information into the one field that was supposed to feed into the other system, but without copying it into the other two fields as they were not fully related. Today, I think we got flagged by internal audit for not having respected the "workaround".

Hang on a minute - I did my job correctly. I input the information into the right field, meaning the one that is supposed to feed into the other system if the systems worked correctly. Why are you flagging us for a breach of workaround? The logic would be to fix the system, not flag your staff because they didn't perform a workaround that shouldn't be there in the first place if your system worked correctly.

I'm sick of these internal audits every 3 days and their ratings on an individual basis. It's ridiculous.

Eugh if I was you I’d start sending your manager emails after everything you have done, go overboard with visibility! Lol

Eugh if I was you I’d start sending your manager emails after everything you have done, go overboard with visibility! Lol
The irony is we have monthly catch ups where I interject and give an update of what iv been working on and noone else has anything to say!. I have requested monthly 1-2-1s with my manager for now and I have arranged a few meetings and set an agenda so even if it's not something I can contribute on directly I am running the agenda and speaking up.

It's a struggle to find consistency in jobs as to what a manager wants. My previous manger was happy for us to be in control of our own accounts and come to her for queries but seems my manager wants all the little details. I'm fine with either but tell me what your expectations are. I find it hard as my current boss expects you to be a mind reader!.

I'm self employed as a childminder and since lockdown were lifted my business has been limping along and I've lost all enthusiasm for it. Numbers are at an all time low, I'm not getting much in the way of new enquiries and those I do get are just for children who need one or two days a week. To survive I really need full time children. Plus one of my children has moved so is leaving to go somewhere closer to home and another full timer is starting school nursery which will half my income from him. I'll be left with one full time child. I work alongside another childminder so we really need 4-5 full timers to break even.

I feel absolutely drained and deflated. I know in my heart that I need to wrap it up but the thought of doing it is so overwhelming. I don't know what I want to do, it's been 18 years since I had a job interview and the thought terrifies me!

• Heart
I'm 21 soon working at a call centre. Dropped out of uni due to mental health problems at 18 after less than a term. Been in my full-time job for 2 and a half years now.

My job role keeps on getting more and more added on to it. No pay increase but effectively they've extended the job role to what was preciously two separate roles. The expectations are ridiculous and so is the pressure for not very good pay.

I feel like my job is draining the life out of me but at the same time I feel trapped in it.

I would love to perhaps return to education but it's difficult to find what I would study. A big fault of mine is that I cannot identify anything I could see myself being good at.

I am so hard on myself to the point I would not be able to highlight any positive traits or skills I have.

• Heart
The work I do is quite monotonous. It's also physical quite hard because I'm standing all day and going back and forth carrying boxes of stock from palettes to my work station. I'm always tired by the end of the day.

Despite that, it's the best job I've had because the people there are the nicest I've ever worked with. I'm friendly with a lot of people there and more importantly there's no one there I dislike. I've been there four years now which is the longest I've ever been in one job and I thank my lucky stars every day that I got employed there.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.