Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
HATE my job (social worker). Really really despise it but I’m just not sure where to go from here 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I think the issue with most managers is that they want to be liked by every single report and therefore refrain from putting their foot down even it's necessary. As a manager, it's your responsibility to deal with the good and the bad, not just sit there with a title and avoid people management. It drives me absolutely mad. You're right to bring it up though. I simply don't know how to do it personally. I'm going to raise with another team member who has been in the team for years (he's the only one left) and see whether he got pestered as well. Maybe he will stir me in the right direction. I need to speak about this to someone otherwise I'm going to implode.

We have a HR department, but there are about 3,000 employees in the local office. They probably won't care although I have other evidence against him (e.g. our manager shared our personal phones numbers to include the team in a WhatsApp group and this guy took my number from the group chat and started texting me on Saturday evenings & during out of office business hours. If I didn't respond - which I never did - he'd ping me on Skype at work the following day to ask me why I didn't answer).

I removed him from my work Skype contacts today (not blocked, just removed) as I can't see his face anymore (he has a picture on Skype). The sight of him makes me want to hurl. It's that bad.
Well best of luck with whatever you do. HR might need to be involved anyway

Reactions: 1
i left my job of 8 years on 1st March to save my mental health.

my boss was making it incredibly hard for me, to the point I'd hurt myself over it all on more than one occasion. it was hard as i loved my colleagues, but it wasn't worth risking my life.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
i left my job of 8 years on 1st March to save my mental health.

my boss was making it incredibly hard for me, to the point I'd hurt myself over it all on more than one occasion. it was hard as i loved my colleagues, but it wasn't worth risking my life.
Well done and if you don't mind me asking have you got another job and if so how is it?
Sorry that you had it so bad, hope whatever you do or go it is better for you and doesn't cause you pain again. ❤

I just found out we're getting audited on an individual level (we work in an independent audit function). The quality assurance team will basically take a couple of files each person audited/review and audit them to make sure it was done correctly. At the end of this audit, we get a "scorecard" / "report card" where we're graded on an individual basis from "fully effective" to "unsatisfactory". This scorecard encompasses all the names, so anyone can see your results. The file being audited are files relevant to your own projects, but also the projects you volunteered to work on. You can imagine the disaster if you get an "unsatisfactory" - no one will ever want to staff the person on their project again.

The team is new. Most of us have been with the company for less than a year. We're still learning with absolutely no training. Of course, mistakes are going to happen. I don't think performing an audit on a fairly new team is a great reflection of the team's true capacities or procedural compliance.

I'm not sure how I feel about the possibility of being called out in such manner. It sounds toxic. I've worked for Big4s and other banks, never seen this before.

• Wow
Got to that stage now where just seeing certain faces on zoom is pissing me off 🙃 and using a made-up example, I’m a florist and my manager has asked the locksmith to work on a project creating a floral arrangement. Can’t wait to leave ☹

I just found out we're getting audited on an individual level (we work in an independent audit function). The quality assurance team will basically take a couple of files each person audited/review and audit them to make sure it was done correctly. At the end of this audit, we get a "scorecard" / "report card" where we're graded on an individual basis from "fully effective" to "unsatisfactory". This scorecard encompasses all the names, so anyone can see your results. The file being audited are files relevant to your own projects, but also the projects you volunteered to work on. You can imagine the disaster if you get an "unsatisfactory" - no one will ever want to staff the person on their project again.

The team is new. Most of us have been with the company for less than a year. We're still learning with absolutely no training. Of course, mistakes are going to happen. I don't think performing an audit on a fairly new team is a great reflection of the team's true capacities or procedural compliance.

I'm not sure how I feel about the possibility of being called out in such manner. It sounds toxic. I've worked for Big4s and other banks, never seen this before.
Big 4 is pants and pay is tit and hours are long but the knowledge you get is unquestionable, my partner works in one and I used to work there too

Big 4 is pants and pay is tit and hours are long but the knowledge you get is unquestionable, my partner works in one and I used to work there too
Wholeheartedly agree! I learned more in my first 6 months in Big4, then I have in this last year in my banking job. Industry jobs can be very "monotonous" and "routine"-like. You basically do the same thing day in and day out and only learn what is required to perform your job adequately, nothing more.

Additionally, the social aspect of Big4s is much better than in banking (at least pre-COVID). I'm quite introverted by nature, but I was positively surprised by the amount of socializing/network I did there, simply because the company culture encouraged it. In my current banking job, I could go weeks without Skyping/calling anyone if I wanted to because this team is quite anti-social. Again, Big4 also had some questionable employees, but I find people to be overall more pleasant to deal with. Sometimes I regret leaving the Big4.

Wholeheartedly agree! I learned more in my first 6 months in Big4, then I have in this last year in my banking job. Industry jobs can be very "monotonous" and "routine"-like. You basically do the same thing day in and day out and only learn what is required to perform your job adequately, nothing more.

Additionally, the social aspect of Big4s is much better than in banking (at least pre-COVID). I'm quite introverted by nature, but I was positively surprised by the amount of socializing/network I did there, simply because the company culture encouraged it. In my current banking job, I could go weeks without Skyping/calling anyone if I wanted to because this team is quite anti-social. Again, Big4 also had some questionable employees, but I find people to be overall more pleasant to deal with. Sometimes I regret leaving the Big4.
My partner is a Senior Manager, he usually complaint about the 'graduates' in his team for being cocky and disinterested in the job, other than a few odd ones, he generally find them motivated and pleasant.

Do you think you will rejoin them one day?

Just found this thread and boy do I need it today!! Iv been an administrator at a company for 2 years now and I’m the lowest paid team member however we’ve recently lost 2 members of the team and we’re down to 6 people and I am being made to do work way above my pay grade to cover!! Not only this but now 2 of our team are on annual leave for a couple of weeks so things are just getting worse I’m being scorned at over emails for not completing work that isn’t even my responsibly it’s just fell into my hands !

I end up starting early and finishing late every night and I don’t get paid for my over time !

I’m on very low wage and I’m 25 years old and I’m so miserable I just feel stuck in a job and industry that I honestly couldn’t give a duck about but a girl needs money !!

Just needed to vent really but any advice welcome, I’m about to finish my lunch so will probably be crying in a few minutes

• Sad
Just found this thread and boy do I need it today!! Iv been an administrator at a company for 2 years now and I’m the lowest paid team member however we’ve recently lost 2 members of the team and we’re down to 6 people and I am being made to do work way above my pay grade to cover!! Not only this but now 2 of our team are on annual leave for a couple of weeks so things are just getting worse I’m being scorned at over emails for not completing work that isn’t even my responsibly it’s just fell into my hands !

I end up starting early and finishing late every night and I don’t get paid for my over time !

I’m on very low wage and I’m 25 years old and I’m so miserable I just feel stuck in a job and industry that I honestly couldn’t give a duck about but a girl needs money !!

Just needed to vent really but any advice welcome, I’m about to finish my lunch so will probably be crying in a few minutes
Vent away. You need to talk to your Manager and get it in writing the job description or what you now have to do. If it increases from old job detail then say so more work but no increase? Gotta be truthful and sy all this is unfair as you've not been consulted before now about more jobs being given to you. Also show the emails to Manager and sy unhappy with them. If this does not work then HR and chat to them and make a formal complaint if need be. Good luck and 1 positive for now its the weekend soon 😊

Vent away. You need to talk to your Manager and get it in writing the job description or what you now have to do. If it increases from old job detail then say so more work but no increase? Gotta be truthful and sy all this is unfair as you've not been consulted before now about more jobs being given to you. Also show the emails to Manager and sy unhappy with them. If this does not work then HR and chat to them and make a formal complaint if need be. Good luck and 1 positive for now its the weekend soon 😊
thank you for the advice!! My line manager is one of those who left recently but the manager above her is basically saying to me that I need to prove myself to her before she moves me up to the level that the rest of my team is on - so I feel stuck. Iv worked so hard for 2 years, worked ridiculous hours etc in the hopes of moving up and now she’s dangling it in front of me !

I could really do with the extra money that comes with the promotion but I also keep thinking to myself - I’m not happy now and I definitely won’t be happier when I’m moved up so what’s the point !

thank you for the advice!! My line manager is one of those who left recently but the manager above her is basically saying to me that I need to prove myself to her before she moves me up to the level that the rest of my team is on - so I feel stuck. Iv worked so hard for 2 years, worked ridiculous hours etc in the hopes of moving up and now she’s dangling it in front of me !

I could really do with the extra money that comes with the promotion but I also keep thinking to myself - I’m not happy now and I definitely won’t be happier when I’m moved up so what’s the point !
I think you should trust your gut with this in bold. Whilst you’re there, work your set hours and not a minute longer, if it doesn’t get done it’s their fault for being short-staffed. That manager is carrot dangling and shouldn’t just be letting duties fall to you because she’s got no one to delegate to. I’m in a similar position where I’ve worked well past expectations of the role but somehow need to prove myself for another year with no wage increase 👋🏻 so many places will use you for as long as they can, it’s lousy. If I were you I’d also “check in” with all requests that are out of your usual remit and ask for next steps etc. Basically stop doing such a good job!

Reactions: 4

It seems very unfair. Yes get a chance at a higher job bit where is the higher pay.
I still would talk to someone.
But if not happy get CV up to date and put on Indeed and CV Library and register with agencies. Good luck

Reactions: 2
Thanks both, it’s hard because I don’t really have any qualifications to fall on - just a diploma in travel and tourism from when I’d just left school and had no idea what I wanted to do! Iv always been a ‘yes’ person because I don’t want to disappoint but I agree that I am being used at this point :(

I know you shouldn’t compare but I’m watching all my friends around me doing really well and it’s really sad for me. I just wonder will I ever get my ‘big break’ so to speak

• Heart
Thanks both, it’s hard because I don’t really have any qualifications to fall on - just a diploma in travel and tourism from when I’d just left school and had no idea what I wanted to do! Iv always been a ‘yes’ person because I don’t want to disappoint but I agree that I am being used at this point :(

I know you shouldn’t compare but I’m watching all my friends around me doing really well and it’s really sad for me. I just wonder will I ever get my ‘big break’ so to speak
It's hard, it's annoying to have to choose so early what to do. What I felt I wanted to do when leaving school vs now is completely different, feels like there is not much real advice when you're young and it can be hard to change careers.

Definitely shouldn't compare though, you never know what people's lives are really like. On the surface I probably look like I'm doing well, good job, pay keeps increasing but I hate my life on the daily, hate what I do and have major anxiety about work all the time.

Reactions: 2

Qualifications are not everything, experience is too.
Never compare yourself to friends you are you and if need be this job is nor right for you look around and apply somewhere else.
Maybe chat to family? I left a job after being there over 10 yrs not job to go to but did not regret it at all.

My partner is a Senior Manager, he usually complaint about the 'graduates' in his team for being cocky and disinterested in the job, other than a few odd ones, he generally find them motivated and pleasant.

Do you think you will rejoin them one day?
As a matter of fact, I often heard SMs complaining about "juniors". I was sitting in front of this SM who kept repeating "OMG, these juniors are terrible". I was surprised to hear someone say this out loud!

I think I will certainly rejoin someday if the opportunity presents itself. I wanted to move back into industry to gain more "expert" knowledge with the hope of rejoining Big4 at a higher rank someday. Not sure if this is the best strategy, but I thought it was worth a try.

How long were you in Big4 if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I often heard SMs complaining about "juniors". I was sitting in front of this SM who kept repeating "OMG, these juniors are terrible". I was surprised to hear someone say this out loud!

I think I will certainly rejoin someday if the opportunity presents itself. I wanted to move back into industry to gain more "expert" knowledge with the hope of rejoining Big4 at a higher rank someday. Not sure if this is the best strategy, but I thought it was worth a try.

How long were you in Big4 if you don't mind me asking?
He keeps moaning about juniors like they can't even do any menial tasks properly, and also graduates are doing ACA so is very hard to hand them work.

I was with them for 3 years back in my home country but my partner with big4 for 4.5 years now. One of my regrets is definitely not fought hard enough to join a big 4 in the UK, is a little bit too late now haha! After working in industry vs Big 4, you definitely get more idiots in industry than big 4 hahah, I find!

Re: Not sure if this is the best strategy, but I thought it was worth a try.
We spoke about it just now, he had a colleague that left Big 4 to join the industry for 1-2 years and she was able to rejoin on a higher rank, finger crossed for you! I find Big 4 is also an industry where 'who you know' matters too. That is his plan too but I think he happened to have a very good mentor that advise him the kind of secondment/ projects he should take or not take.
I think at this point, he probably won't leave Big4.

Those were the days, I miss it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.