Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't hate my job per se, but I do get frustrated with it at times.

A few times I've wondered if it's worth it and consider looking elsewhere, but there's not that much out there in my field and I sometimes wonder if it could be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire! I suppose most jobs have some degree of stress.

Other times I do actually enjoy the job and look back on tough times and realise I was sometimes either overreacting or was just in a negative mindset that I thankfully snapped out of.

But if someone is genuinely stressed out to the point that their work is making them ill, then I don't think it would be worth it. Also, I know it's easy to say, but it's best to be open and honest and raise issues as soon as you can - if you feel comfortable doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I've been hating my job more and more. I find it so stressful, I get the Sunday dread on Saturday now, on. Mondays I usually feel deeply depressed, then I get used to the anxious feeling and the rest of the week is less bad, but there's always this underlying anxiety going on.

A lot of the posters here seem to hate their job because the environment is bad, which is understandable and awful but changing the job could help. While I hate my job because I keep thinking I'm terrible at it, that I'm doing really bad all the time, every mistake causes major anxiety, so I don't think changing the job would actually help 😭

Reactions: 4
I've been hating my job more and more. I find it so stressful, I get the Sunday dread on Saturday now, on. Mondays I usually feel deeply depressed, then I get used to the anxious feeling and the rest of the week is less bad, but there's always this underlying anxiety going on.

A lot of the posters here seem to hate their job because the environment is bad, which is understandable and awful but changing the job could help. While I hate my job because I keep thinking I'm terrible at it, that I'm doing really bad all the time, every mistake causes major anxiety, so I don't think changing the job would actually help 😭
Sounds like impostor syndrome, which is really common. I have it, too.

I've never had a bad annual appraisal; every year I get told I'm doing a really good job, I'm a "safe pair of hands", I will go far, etc. Plus I've been promoted within my role over the years. However, deep down I tell myself it's mostly luck and I'll finally get a project that will expose how bad I really am. I also feel like almost everyone else is great at their jobs and never has any worries, etc.

I know it's all illogical but that doesn't make it any easier! I have got better over the years, though. With more experience I find I am believing in some of my manager's comments... but it doesn't take much to knock my confidence and then that mindset kicks back in.

Talking about it definitely helps. When I've told some trusted colleagues how I sometimes feel (although I don't go fully into it, I just sometimes say I don't always feel confident) they're shocked and say I always seem so calm and capable. Then they say that they often feel similar. It's quite comforting to know a lot of people think the same, but the problem is no one really talks about it, so it stays in our heads where it festers.

Sounds like impostor syndrome, which is really common. I have it, too.

I've never had a bad annual appraisal; every year I get told I'm doing a really good job, I'm a "safe pair of hands", I will go far, etc. Plus I've been promoted within my role over the years. However, deep down I tell myself it's mostly luck and I'll finally get a project that will expose how bad I really am. I also feel like almost everyone else is great at their jobs and never has any worries, etc.

I know it's all illogical but that doesn't make it any easier! I have got better over the years, though. With more experience I find I am believing in some of my manager's comments... but it doesn't take much to knock my confidence and then that mindset kicks back in.

Talking about it definitely helps. When I've told some trusted colleagues how I sometimes feel (although I don't go fully into it, I just sometimes say I don't always feel confident) they're shocked and say I always seem so calm and capable. Then they say that they often feel similar. It's quite comforting to know a lot of people think the same, but the problem is no one really talks about it, so it stays in our heads where it festers.
You described exactly how I feel! My performance reviews are always good, and I get good comments. But then I always think they just don't realise how bad at the job I really am and how much I don't know...

I try to tell myself that it is just imposter syndrome and everyone makes mistakes etc, but it's hard to deal with the anxiety of it every day. Especially now it's stressful time for me with my projects so it's even worse than usual.

It's not nice you're dealing with it too but reassuring that others feel the same way.

Reactions: 2
i work in retail and don’t have any plans of going to uni, i can’t help but compare myself to all these people my age at uni doing these amazing degrees. i know a job is a job but i feel so stuck, i have no clue what i want to do in the future career wise. i don’t want to be stuck in retail forever, but i also struggle to see myself ever getting a well paying job without going to uni.

can anyone reassure me that i don’t need to go to uni to be successful? i feel like it’s been drilled into me so much that i can’t help but feel like a massive failure 😫
I have a Bachelors degreee and i'm doing an MSc (only because I struggled to find a job after graduating last year :'( .. ) and what I've found is that there are a LOT of jobs and opportunities for those WITHOUT a degree!

I would HEAVILY advise working your way up the chain in whatever role you already have, whilst trying to work out what you'd like to do in life and then head in that direction. A lot of the time experience matters a lot more than a degree. Good luck!

Sometimes, I truly wonder if the long hours, degrees are really worth it sometimes.

I am currently working in a "junior" role even though I now have 7 years experience. My co-workers are simply clueless. They most times don't follow procedures or simply don't understand them and the mistakes they make are appalling. Everyone makes mistakes, but I have never seen something like this. Between those who drop you halfway through a project because they're "too busy" with other tasks, those who claim they "forgot" to do their analysis, those who pull a report incorrectly thus impacting you alone and refusing to fix it claiming it's correct when it's not and doesn't look anything like the previous reports, those who don't follow procedures and those who dodge all of their work on you when they're heading off on AL and the ridiculous QA procedure where you get a "report card" at the end of the period for everyone to see.

There is a systemic toxic energy in our local team which is felt even remotely, so I can't begin to imagine what it would be like in an office setting. The progression prospects are very limited as the team is expending and unless a team lead leaves, there's no room for progression to the next level.

Most of my former peers have already made it to AVP, Manager or VP for some. I'm still the "analyst" with two law degrees, global banks & a Big4 on my CV (not mentioning the languages). I'm currently studying for the ACA hoping it will help my CV, but ever since I added it on my CV/LinkedIn, I've only been getting rejections and I'm no longer approached by recruiters (COVID isn't helping). It makes me think that I could have all the degrees in the world, but I still won't be climbing the corporate ladder for whatever reason. My role is something an entry-level accounting/economics/finance graduate can do with their eyes closed. I'm not being challenged. The toxicity, lack of team spirit and general incompetence is starting to affect me. No one takes accountability for anything and if someone commits an oversight, you can rest assured they'll blame you for it or otherwise, they'll say they're burned out. I just had a case of this this morning with someone who forgot to ask me something before the last quarter ended and today they said: "I wasn't made aware of this" in relation to something in pertaining to his portfolio. I don't know the procedures on his portfolio. I did my job on mine, if you have a specific procedure impacting both yours and mine, then you vocalize it. I have zero visibility on their work/procedures. How am I to know? You don't ask, you don't know. End of it. I can't be expected to master my job and yours.

I'm going mad today as I just got back from one week of annual leave and already someone started a "confrontation" as soon as I logged in at 9am without even saying a polite "how are you" or "welcome back". I'm sick of these people with limited interpersonal skills and professional conscience.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Sometimes, I truly wonder if the long hours, degrees are really worth it sometimes.

I am currently working in a "junior" role even though I now have 7 years experience. My co-workers are simply clueless. They most times don't follow procedures or simply don't understand them and the mistakes they make are appalling. Everyone makes mistakes, but I have never seen something like this. Between those who drop you halfway through a project because they're "too busy" with other tasks, those who claim they "forgot" to do their analysis, those who pull a report incorrectly thus impacting you alone and refusing to fix it claiming it's correct when it's not and doesn't look anything like the previous reports, those who don't follow procedures and those who dodge all of their work on you when they're heading off on AL and the ridiculous QA procedure where you get a "report card" at the end of the period for everyone to see.

There is a systemic toxic energy in our local team which is felt even remotely, so I can't begin to imagine what it would be like in an office setting. The progression prospects are very limited as the team is expending and unless a team lead leaves, there's no room for progression to the next level.

Most of my former peers have already made it to AVP, Manager or VP for some. I'm still the "analyst" with two law degrees, global banks & a Big4 on my CV (not mentioning the languages). I'm currently studying for the ACA hoping it will help my CV, but ever since I added it on my CV/LinkedIn, I've only been getting rejections and I'm no longer approached by recruiters (COVID isn't helping). It makes me think that I could have all the degrees in the world, but I still won't be climbing the corporate ladder for whatever reason. My role is something an entry-level accounting/economics/finance graduate can do with their eyes closed. I'm not being challenged. The toxicity, lack of team spirit and general incompetence is starting to affect me. No one takes accountability for anything and if someone commits an oversight, you can rest assured they'll blame you for it or otherwise, they'll say they're burned out. I just had a case of this this morning with someone who forgot to ask me something before the last quarter ended and today they said: "I wasn't made aware of this" in relation to something in pertaining to his portfolio. I don't know the procedures on his portfolio. I did my job on mine, if you have a specific procedure impacting both yours and mine, then you vocalize it. I have zero visibility on their work/procedures. How am I to know? You don't ask, you don't know. End of it. I can't be expected to master my job and yours.

I'm going mad today as I just got back from one week of annual leave and already someone started a "confrontation" as soon as I logged in at 9am without even saying a polite "how are you" or "welcome back". I'm sick of these people with limited interpersonal skills and professional conscience.
Well hope you had a good holiday.
I personally could not put up with that. Maybe it is best to leave I know you need another job to go to but what about registering with an agency plenty of temp roles and maybe change area so Management accounts or just even Finance and then keep looking. Temp roles can turn permanent mine did after 2 years and yeah wish it hadn't but for now it's pay coming in.
Good luck and keep looking

Well hope you had a good holiday.
I personally could not put up with that. Maybe it is best to leave I know you need another job to go to but what about registering with an agency plenty of temp roles and maybe change area so Management accounts or just even Finance and then keep looking. Temp roles can turn permanent mine did after 2 years and yeah wish it hadn't but for now it's pay coming in.
Good luck and keep looking
Thank you. I haven't been looking, I have to admit. They increased our salaries, so I thought I would stick around for a bit longer. However, what I'm seeing today after my annual leave from a couple of colleagues is really appalling. The team culture is a complete disgrace. There are bad seeds in every company, but to this extent, it is pretty much exceptional. Normally, there is always something great about a company whether it's the job or team. There's always some kind of silver lining. With this company, I see none (aside from the fact that they increased salaries). I hate complaining about this given the current economic climate, but ultimately, I know I deserve better than this. I think anyone would deserve better than this. I sent my CV to a few recruiters, but they're not overly receptive it seems. Companies have become incredibly stringent with their hiring criteria. You either fit every single box or you get rejected.

I can't put up with it anymore to be honest. For instance this morning I opened my inbox to this (which basically gives you an insight into how incompetent they are):

They kept generating reports under a legacy portfolio name for ages. That single portfolio was split into two separate portfolios last year. Yet, they couldn't be bothered to adjust the report to reflect two new separate portfolios, so I would spent hours performing the data split myself.
Example of the portfolio name before the split: "Subsidiaries Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands".
New portfolio names post split into two: "Subsidiaries Belgium and Luxembourg" (portfolio 1) and "Subsidiaries Netherlands" (portfolio 2).
Before my annual leave, I had a chat with someone at my level (the one who refused to amend the incorrect reports) and the manager to ask for the report to be amended at the source to avoid the manual data split as the report still replicated the former single entity. They agreed. I came back yesterday to an email from the approving party saying: "Subsidiaries Netherlands" (aka the new entity) has not been split, therefore not changes are required".

Of course the new entity hasn't been split! That's not what I asked at all and it's certainly not rocket science. This is not the issue I was referring to.

Mind boggling, I swear. Every single day, I discover something new. I've worked with difficult people in the past, but at least, they were somewhat competent.

• Sad
Thank you. I haven't been looking, I have to admit. They increased our salaries, so I thought I would stick around for a bit longer. However, what I'm seeing today after my annual leave from a couple of colleagues is really appalling. The team culture is a complete disgrace. There are bad seeds in every company, but to this extent, it is pretty much exceptional. Normally, there is always something great about a company whether it's the job or team. There's always some kind of silver lining. With this company, I see none (aside from the fact that they increased salaries). I hate complaining about this given the current economic climate, but ultimately, I know I deserve better than this. I think anyone would deserve better than this. I sent my CV to a few recruiters, but they're not overly receptive it seems. Companies have become incredibly stringent with their hiring criteria. You either fit every single box or you get rejected.

I can't put up with it anymore to be honest. For instance this morning I opened my inbox to this (which basically gives you an insight into how incompetent they are):

They kept generating reports under a legacy portfolio name for ages. That single portfolio was split into two separate portfolios last year. Yet, they couldn't be bothered to adjust the report to reflect two new separate portfolios, so I would spent hours performing the data split myself.
Example of the portfolio name before the split: "Subsidiaries Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands".
New portfolio names post split into two: "Subsidiaries Belgium and Luxembourg" (portfolio 1) and "Subsidiaries Netherlands" (portfolio 2).
Before my annual leave, I had a chat with someone at my level (the one who refused to amend the incorrect reports) and the manager to ask for the report to be amended at the source to avoid the manual data split as the report still replicated the former single entity. They agreed. I came back yesterday to an email from the approving party saying: "Subsidiaries Netherlands" (aka the new entity) has not been split, therefore not changes are required".

Of course the new entity hasn't been split! That's not what I asked at all and it's certainly not rocket science. This is not the issue I was referring to.

Mind boggling, I swear. Every single day, I discover something new. I've worked with difficult people in the past, but at least, they were somewhat competent.
Sounds absolutely mental. There is no hard is looking around get your CV updated and registered with some agencies you are not losing at all maybe gaining a way out of the tit you are in.
Yes increased pay is great but I do see a few places doing this as they are struggling to get people to join or stay. Maybe not your place but some are.
I only put up with my job for the pay the easiness of travel still 25 mins but okay. Get nothing extra like a bonus but tbf the job is easy but has stresses like everyone else but I m looking and applying.
Best of luck

Reactions: 1

My job role is totally different to yours (healthcare) but I find similar frustrations. As I am the only person in my Trust with my role, I often have to delegate things if there's too much for me to do - and prioritise what I do do. The idea my supervisor has is that I ask other colleagues on the wards to do things, they do them and then I get feedback. Or if I'm on leave, I handover what I need doing, which is within their scope of practice, and what I've done already, and see how things are when I get back. It doesn't happen. They're 'too busy' with their own things or they make excuses as to why they can't see people. Every time I come back on leave nothing has changed with my caseload because no-one has bothered to do anything. It's so demoralising and frustrating.

And like you I'm often not asking for the earth - I am literally asking them to do the exact same thing they'd do with them if I wasn't actually doing the job. I'm not asking them to do the specialist bit, I refer them to my team colleagues for that, just do the basics.

• Sad
A lot of companies are indeed increasing their salaries. It's market driven. Plenty of other large companies have done the same to the extent of 10%-25% in and around the same time mine did. They're not doing anything special. It's appreciated, but again, if salaries are increasing, one can easily leverage this new salary to get an even better salary elsewhere. Salary is great, but ultimately, if your company is toxic and your employee is not getting any tangible progression, they're going to look elsewhere regardless. They're deluded if they think people are going to be rotting in the same role for 5 years without any progression.

My job role is totally different to yours (healthcare) but I find similar frustrations. As I am the only person in my Trust with my role, I often have to delegate things if there's too much for me to do - and prioritise what I do do. The idea my supervisor has is that I ask other colleagues on the wards to do things, they do them and then I get feedback. Or if I'm on leave, I handover what I need doing, which is within their scope of practice, and what I've done already, and see how things are when I get back. It doesn't happen. They're 'too busy' with their own things or they make excuses as to why they can't see people. Every time I come back on leave nothing has changed with my caseload because no-one has bothered to do anything. It's so demoralising and frustrating.

And like you I'm often not asking for the earth - I am literally asking them to do the exact same thing they'd do with them if I wasn't actually doing the job. I'm not asking them to do the specialist bit, I refer them to my team colleagues for that, just do the basics.
It's so demoralizing. I don't know about your colleagues, but in my team, those people who don't bother to help you out or who drop you halfway through are the same people who almost force you to take on their work when they're off or "overwhelmed". It's always a one way street which is incredibly frustrated. Managers don't tend to get overly involved aside from a few suggestions as they want to be liked by everyone in the team. You feel completely hopeless, I get the feeling.

Reactions: 5

If you're the only person in your trust with your role how can you handover tasks with confidence - have they the relevant training to do your role?Have I misunderstood your post or something?

I'm also confused by the fact that if you consider there is too much for you to do, so you you delegate work, but state "they're 'too busy' " like they are lying? If you have the opportunity to delegate how can you be unaware, or even worse; dismiss your colleagues workloads? Management is not easy, but you really do need to have the ability to see the bigger picture and certainly not berate the fact that your job hasn't been done by subordinates while your are on annual leave.

Have you discussed this with your team? What was their response?

If you're the only person in your trust with your role how can you handover tasks with confidence - have they the relevant training to do your role?Have I misunderstood your post or something?

I'm also confused by the fact that if you consider there is too much for you to do, so you you delegate work, but state "they're 'too busy' " like they are lying? If you have the opportunity to delegate how can you be unaware, or even worse; dismiss your colleagues workloads? Management is not easy, but you really do need to have the ability to see the bigger picture and certainly not berate the fact that your job hasn't been done by subordinates while your are on annual leave.

Have you discussed this with your team? What was their response?
So without giving too much away about what I do essentially I am in a specialist AHP role in a field of medicine, which any ‘generalist’ AHP would have to manage if their hospital didn’t actually have one of many (it’s an emerging field in my profession and many hospitals, including our partner site, doesn’t have a ‘me’ in any capacity). Before this role was introduced I was expected to manage these patients just the same as any of my other patients; I don’t expect them to do what I would do but I do expect to be able to say to a ward “you have Mr A on your ward, I’m not here tomorrow but can you please see him for this [standardised, well known to the profession] assessment which is what I need to make an informed decision about his needs”. They will be doing this with all of their other patients anyway. I’m not asking them to do the specialist bit, which is much more complex and ‘scary’ but rather the generalist part of my role to support me.

Fact is I’m not there 24/7 and am entitled to leave and time off just as much as my colleagues - they absolutely are busy (just as I am and every other member of staff is) but equally like I said I’m not asking them to do anything that would take longer than normal or would be out of their scope of practice. If I’m not there and people use that as an excuse to not do simple things because they’re “my patient” ultimately the patients suffer. A lot of my patients don’t have the time to wait in hospital however many days for me to come back from leave to do an assessment that would have got them whatever they needed a lot earlier.

My line manager actually works in an entirely separate team that doesn’t have this issue as they all pull together - the line managers of the teams I primarily work with (who won’t touch my patients if I’m not in) take the view of “it’s not our job to do that” when actually it’s all our jobs to do the best for our patients.

• Sad
So without giving too much away about what I do essentially I am in a specialist AHP role in a field of medicine, which any ‘generalist’ AHP would have to manage if their hospital didn’t actually have one of many (it’s an emerging field in my profession and many hospitals, including our partner site, doesn’t have a ‘me’ in any capacity). Before this role was introduced I was expected to manage these patients just the same as any of my other patients; I don’t expect them to do what I would do but I do expect to be able to say to a ward “you have Mr A on your ward, I’m not here tomorrow but can you please see him for this [standardised, well known to the profession] assessment which is what I need to make an informed decision about his needs”. They will be doing this with all of their other patients anyway. I’m not asking them to do the specialist bit, which is much more complex and ‘scary’ but rather the generalist part of my role to support me.

Fact is I’m not there 24/7 and am entitled to leave and time off just as much as my colleagues - they absolutely are busy (just as I am and every other member of staff is) but equally like I said I’m not asking them to do anything that would take longer than normal or would be out of their scope of practice. If I’m not there and people use that as an excuse to not do simple things because they’re “my patient” ultimately the patients suffer. A lot of my patients don’t have the time to wait in hospital however many days for me to come back from leave to do an assessment that would have got them whatever they needed a lot earlier.

My line manager actually works in an entirely separate team that doesn’t have this issue as they all pull together - the line managers of the teams I primarily work with (who won’t touch my patients if I’m not in) take the view of “it’s not our job to do that” when actually it’s all our jobs to do the best for our patients.
I think my mom had a similar issue before she retired from work - it sounds like you have similar roles.

You might not be asking them to do anything that "takes longer than normal" but you aren't there for guidance so perhaps it would, and another question I would pose is; would they be doing this task if you were there? or is it actually an additional task for them while you are off? If it is, then perhaps you could re-iterate the importance of doing the task.

I'd see this as an opportunity to show initiative and pull the teams together!

I think I have been there, I stopped comparing now because I have moved countries. Loyalty pays off sometimes, some of the idiots that I worked with are now VP/Manager in the old company because they stick around. This is one of the things that I regret the most, I wish I have stayed but I am not too sure my mental health can take it for working in such a toxic environment.

Reactions: 2
I think I have been there, I stopped comparing now because I have moved countries. Loyalty pays off sometimes, some of the idiots that I worked with are now VP/Manager in the old company because they stick around. This is one of the things that I regret the most, I wish I have stayed but I am not too sure my mental health can take it for working in such a toxic environment.
I agree.

Loyalty can definitely pay off, but a lot of the large corporations play a lot of politics. I know people who didn't get a single promotion in their role after 5 years, which at this point, you start wondering why you're still with the company. You have to be willing to play the game, which is not to everyone's taste and certainly isn't mine. Mental health is a big issue as well because while some people can cope with the toxicity (and I strongly believe that's because they're toxic to begin with and toxicity probably is a real theme in their life), others don't want to end up dead from the inside. When I look at some people I used to work with or currently work with, they might have gotten promoted fast, but I wouldn't wish to resemble them from a character standpoint. Of course, there are exceptions and some people are really lovely, but they're just far and few in between. Then again, most companies have a certain level of toxicity unfortunately. It depends on how much you're willing to tolerate indeed.

Hence, now when I started seeing the signs of hidden toxicity, I always ask myself if it's worth it because the stress you get through a toxic work environment also impacts your private life.

• Heart
I agree.

Loyalty can definitely pay off, but a lot of the large corporations play a lot of politics. I know people who didn't get a single promotion in their role after 5 years, which at this point, you start wondering why you're still with the company. You have to be willing to play the game, which is not to everyone's taste and certainly isn't mine. Mental health is a big issue as well because while some people can cope with the toxicity (and I strongly believe that's because they're toxic to begin with and toxicity probably is a real theme in their life), others don't want to end up dead from the inside. When I look at some people I used to work with or currently work with, they might have gotten promoted fast, but I wouldn't wish to resemble them from a character standpoint. Of course, there are exceptions and some people are really lovely, but they're just far and few in between. Then again, most companies have a certain level of toxicity unfortunately. It depends on how much you're willing to tolerate indeed.

Hence, now when I started seeing the signs of hidden toxicity, I always ask myself if it's worth it because the stress you get through a toxic work environment also impacts your private life.
I've got no chance of promotion but they again don't really care. But more and more I see the word toxic and work together. It's getting worse. Home work is OK but still have to return sometime

• Heart
Yup - I recently resigned and found out after a few days that my colleague told my whole team behind my back that I don’t like them, when in fact i told her I don’t like the work 😩 it’s gonna be an awkward month ahead and I have no proof that she told them anything so I can’t confront the problem!

• Sad
Yup - I recently resigned and found out after a few days that my colleague told my whole team behind my back that I don’t like them, when in fact i told her I don’t like the work 😩 it’s gonna be an awkward month ahead and I have no proof that she told them anything so I can’t confront the problem!
Oh heck! Good luck.
Maybe just stand there Mondy morning and say I've resigned I don't like the job and it's nothing to do with you lot. Partly lie 😂

• Haha
This drives me insane when people start speaking for you without your consent. I was in a similar situation last year when I said to a co-worker I was sick the amount of work I had, how poorly I was treated and I couldn't cope anymore. She went ahead and opened her mouth the manager. The manager then set up a meeting with me to discuss what was wrong and tried to find solutions when I couldn't care less at the time as I was about to resign. I resigned about a week later and this individual put me in an awkward position without asking me first whether it was OK to discuss with the manager. No, it wouldn't have been OK! Jeez, when people start taking ownership of your opinions! Good for you in quitting though! This environment sounds quite bad/high-schoolish.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.