Does anyone hate their job? #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can you talk to a therapist for a couple of sessions? I think it would really help you separate your self worth from your work and the fucked up social dynamics at your old job. Because let's be honest, that is a really horrible reaction to you leaving.
It's hurtful and insulting, and I'm not surpised you're taking it to heart even though I'm sure it's got zero to do with you.
I think I will need to. I throw my entire self into my jobs, which is a massive weakness of mine and literally nobody asks me to, and I do set myself up for a world of pain by doing so. But this? This is next level.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I am a huge believer in people quitting their manager, not their job.

A couple of months ago, I worked on a piece of work on my own. The product delivered was fully the product of my own work only.

Today, my manager sends a message to our group chat asking ‘Can someone send me ABC that TheGlossy & Golden Child worked on?’

‘Golden Child’ never worked on this piece - as a matter of fact, Golden Child was out on extended sick leave then. Yet the manager had the nerve to pretend they forgot it was my own work and tagged their bestie to it and gave them half the credit for something their never even looked at!

• Heart
I am a huge believer in people quitting their manager, not their job.

A couple of months ago, I worked on a piece of work on my own. The product delivered was fully the product of my own work only.

Today, my manager sends a message to our group chat asking ‘Can someone send me ABC that TheGlossy & Golden Child worked on?’

‘Golden Child’ never worked on this piece - as a matter of fact, Golden Child was out on extended sick leave then. Yet the manager had the nerve to pretend they forgot it was my own work and tagged their bestie to it and gave them half the credit for something their never even looked at!
So sorry this happened to you! It has happened to me as well and I never know how to do something about it. At home I’ll be raging but I don’t know how I would stand up for myself, any response that does come to my mind sounds so snarky that it’s automatically the “unhinged woman bitching” territory….. have you found any way for this?

Reactions: 1
So sorry this happened to you! It has happened to me as well and I never know how to do something about it. At home I’ll be raging but I don’t know how I would stand up for myself, any response that does come to my mind sounds so snarky that it’s automatically the “unhinged woman bitching” territory….. have you found any way for this?
Honestly, at this point I’m way too far gone to even try to respond to this manager’s unnecessary undermining. I’ve seen enough to the point where I’ve no reaction anymore because I almost expect it and know they’re doing this on purpose.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
A bit of a MH rant -

I've been moved to a new ward after my maternity leave which gets a lot more MH admissions, it's an acute physical hospital but it's a step down from A+E so we get literally everything from your 'typical' medical problems and fallers but also alcoholics, eating disorders, self harm, deliberate ODs and accidental ODs. I have quite a long MH history but it's all pre getting my degree so no-one I work with knows about it (even my family don't know the full extent of it) and I am finding it so hard seeing these patients. It's extremely triggering, actually, if I'm honest and I've definitely started engaging in regressive behaviours even though I've only been back a few weeks. I don't have to see them from a work point of view most of the time because they're not appropriate for my service but we have to screen and discuss everyone on the ward multiple times a day so it comes up often. And with discussion, obviously, comments come up which range from empathetic to totally inappropriate, but I never feel like I can say anything. It's one of the biggest reasons I didn't want this post when they told me I was going to have to do it but I don't think I can really tell anyone because other than going "it makes me sad" I wouldn't want to say more than that.

A bit of a MH rant -

I've been moved to a new ward after my maternity leave which gets a lot more MH admissions, it's an acute physical hospital but it's a step down from A+E so we get literally everything from your 'typical' medical problems and fallers but also alcoholics, eating disorders, self harm, deliberate ODs and accidental ODs. I have quite a long MH history but it's all pre getting my degree so no-one I work with knows about it (even my family don't know the full extent of it) and I am finding it so hard seeing these patients. It's extremely triggering, actually, if I'm honest and I've definitely started engaging in regressive behaviours even though I've only been back a few weeks. I don't have to see them from a work point of view most of the time because they're not appropriate for my service but we have to screen and discuss everyone on the ward multiple times a day so it comes up often. And with discussion, obviously, comments come up which range from empathetic to totally inappropriate, but I never feel like I can say anything. It's one of the biggest reasons I didn't want this post when they told me I was going to have to do it but I don't think I can really tell anyone because other than going "it makes me sad" I wouldn't want to say more than that.
What's the options here? Either you talk to someone about not being able to work at the ward because it triggers you a lot, it or you stay and ruin your mental health. I don't see a happy medium - do you? Maybe therapy if you can swing it? Take yourself seriously enough to not choose option 2 please. It's not worth it, it's a job, not your life, and the NHS is looking for nurses and other types of health staff everywhere, so you're not out of options at all here.

I only started my new job in December and I already hate it. I’ve been paid off two long term jobs because of issues round my MH/productivity. The last one destroyed my confidence, because I was bullied, put down, and generally treated like tit because of the weird way it was set up (can’t say any more in case anyone from there is on here and I out myself).
Anyway I had some time off and started this job. It’s not like anything I’ve done before, I’ve never had any real training, not even an induction. I had my half way probation meeting and they’re already saying I’m too slow. I’m now panicking because I’m thinking they’re going to get rid of me - I can’t afford to go without a wage

Brought my time at my job to an end early because I wasn’t prepared to put my mental health at risk anymore. duck them all in the ear. Hopefully I can start the healing process now and begin to actually look forward to my new job.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I missed a meeting yesterday - first time in three years. Today my team lead criticised me for it as if that was a regular occurrence. Like, what's his problem? My personal calendar is littered with work stuff so I don't forget, I'm constantly stressed because I feel like I'm never good enough, and my whole life revolves around work to the detriment of myself, my dog, my household, etc. And then he has the bleeping audacity to tell me to "take things more seriously"????

• Heart
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
What's the options here? Either you talk to someone about not being able to work at the ward because it triggers you a lot, it or you stay and ruin your mental health. I don't see a happy medium - do you? Maybe therapy if you can swing it? Take yourself seriously enough to not choose option 2 please. It's not worth it, it's a job, not your life, and the NHS is looking for nurses and other types of health staff everywhere, so you're not out of options at all here.
Very few options. I didn't opt for this post, I was put in it to cover a gap in the service on return from my own maternity leave when they dissolved my old role. There are other teams that have vacancies, but they're being swept under the carpet and the funds being repurposed as the leads of the service are totally focused on the front door service and trying to discretely reduce the size of the rehab teams in the hospital. My service is a small AHP profession which doesn't have a lot of options outside the NHS and in my county there's only one hospital trust. I was looking outside the NHS before I returned but haven't had any luck because my CV reads as so narrow and healthcare focused people assume I can't work in an office environment (I can and have before I trained).

The really annoying thing is career progression wise, it's a very good move for me - I've gone from being in a tiny team with little to no responsibilities outside of my caseload to a 'proper' senior position with management expectations which is fantastic for my future and if I wanted to move outside of the NHS. The team are lovely and very supportive of everything but the culture of our whole service is very burnt out and run down, working with a skeleton staff so often concerns about roles are basically met with "that's your problem not ours".

• Sad
my CV reads as so narrow and healthcare focused people assume I can't work in an office environment (I can and have before I trained).
Then lie your ass off. It doesn't matter - you know you're competent and that's all there's to it. Can you pad your resume so it looks like you did more office stuff than you actually did?

At this point, I don’t even know how I’m still in the team under this manager. They called in sick and informed us on our group chat. Myself & another person (let’s call her Judy) responded the same thing ‘Hope you’re OK. Take care’.

Now, as I’d mentioned before, this manager has been dismissive of me since day 1 and assigned credit of my work to someone else etc.

Their response in the group chat was ‘Thanks, Judy, I’m ok’.

She only acknowledged one person’s response and completely disregarded mine. How much more does this person think I’m going to take? This is so rude and unnecessary when someone is just being polite.

• Sad
  • Wow
Question for those looking for new jobs right now… would you recommend applying to more than one job at the one company?

For context, I’m in a marketing agency but currently commuting twice a week. Don’t hate my job, but definitely have a couple of signals that I feel like I should leave. I always feel like if you’re questioning it, then you should probably leave.

I am definitely thinking about finding a job at another agency cause I quite like working across multiple accounts and getting exposure to various strategies etc.

I definitely have a great background in social strategy, but also project/account management, and I’ve seen an agency in my home city hire in both areas at different times. Just wondering if anyone thinks it’d do harm to apply for one role and say I didn’t get it, apply for another type of role in the same company if one came up after a month or so? There’s no guarantees, but have definitely seen a couple roles come up here and there at this agency over the last few months, so definitely think there’ll be more opps out there soon. 👀

• Heart
Question for those looking for new jobs right now… would you recommend applying to more than one job at the one company?

For context, I’m in a marketing agency but currently commuting twice a week. Don’t hate my job, but definitely have a couple of signals that I feel like I should leave. I always feel like if you’re questioning it, then you should probably leave.

I am definitely thinking about finding a job at another agency cause I quite like working across multiple accounts and getting exposure to various strategies etc.

I definitely have a great background in social strategy, but also project/account management, and I’ve seen an agency in my home city hire in both areas at different times. Just wondering if anyone thinks it’d do harm to apply for one role and say I didn’t get it, apply for another type of role in the same company if one came up after a month or so? There’s no guarantees, but have definitely seen a couple roles come up here and there at this agency over the last few months, so definitely think there’ll be more opps out there soon. 👀
Apply, definitely! While they might have you on file I'm sure you won't be the only one that applied twice for different positions.

Why is it when work starts going good again you get interview offers but when you’re in the depths of despair there is nothing 🤷🏽‍♀️

had a job interview today for a pharmaceutical global company, also working for a global corporate. They last 12 months I was in the pits of work hell due to 2 insufferable people until they both left.
Now I’m starting to enjoy my work again and I’ve gone for an interview today, came out of that and got an interview invite for an engineering firm based in UK & America.

does anyone have any advice around staying or going? I don’t feel I can grow much under my current upline, I feel I will forever be on the hamster wheel as I feel I’m good at what I do and a safe, consistent person.

Reactions: 4
Nearly cried today over work, feeling so deflated, overwhelmed and bored at the same time. I don't even know what is wrong with me, but I'm not really seeing a way forward there anymore. I can't just quit either and despite every one seemingly hiring, a lot of them aren't actually interviewing.

There even was a good piece in the latest Financial Diet video about exactly this and even for my own company I can confirm that while it seems that they've started hiring again, those are fake opening, with either the position having long gone to an internal candidate, or being 100%, making it looks like there are openings to investors with no intention to fill them.
I've applied to two positions this week, one on Monday, one today. Haven't yet heard from the first one, I had hoped for something, but given it was a week with a holiday, I should be patient, but i honestly feel the life being drained out of me.

• Heart
Sorry things are still bad for you @Codiaeum
I’m in the same boat so not got any advice, but you’re not alone at least 😕

- -

I’ve finished for the weekend and feel really low, too. I think it’s a sign I need to adopt a more work to live attitude. My team has zero camaraderie, and I miss my old one. My manager is clueless and has zero direction. He played favourites in our old team and is doing the same again. Another lead is very off with me when I’ve done nothing but be friendly towards them. I don’t know if everyone is just fed up with the manager already and don’t want to build a team or if he’s in the ear of the other lead, but it’s unbearable. Meetings are just silent or my manager will waffle on for an hour. He only cares about his own progression but is an oaf.

The main thing that is bugging me is not getting to build on technical skills and feeling constantly under pressure to add more strings to my bow because my manager is an idiot and I don’t want to be at risk. I just want to do my job for a bit. I’ve tried applying to others but only got an interview for one out of lots of applications. It annoys me because the calibre of people I’ve had to interview recently has been awful. I think AI and people exaggerating their skills on their CV e.g. done one free intro course on SQL = “Excellent SQL skills” 🤦🏻‍♀️ Like, you cannot be expert level in several programming languages and software suites in your mid twenties. Enough of this. It is messing it up for actually competent candidates.

I really think the whole world has gone even mad(der) in recent years and so wish I could check out of the rat race and spend my day pootling around with my dog.

• Heart
I'm a civil servant and am sad and angry about the 60% attendance 😐 I have't properly started it yet as I was on leave/bank holiday but from tomorrow my life is ruined 😣 I have had a nice routine of WFH , swimming in the local pool and avoiding the worst of public transport but from now on it's going to cost me £45 a week to spend three hours a day commuting to an almost empty office. Positive is it's a kick up the bum to look for a new job nearer to me. My wildest dreams is a gig I can walk to, via everything else I need to do (boring stuff like Sainsbury's or the pub).

• Heart
The guy who has bought Man U has told all admin/marketing etc. employees that they must come into work 5 days a week now, and anyone who doesn't like it can leave. Sadly, he forgot a couple of things:
1) He was at home announcing this via video.
2) He's a tax exile
3) Man U no longer have the office space to accommodate everyone every day...

• Sad
The guy who has bought Man U has told all admin/marketing etc. employees that they must come into work 5 days a week now, and anyone who doesn't like it can leave. Sadly, he forgot a couple of things:
1) He was at home announcing this via video.
2) He's a tax exile
3) Man U no longer have the office space to accommodate everyone every day...
Some of these big wigs really should see themselves out. FIL had a similar story, where their leads announced that people in all offices must return. What they hadn't thought about that they had closed some of those spaces, meaning that there was no longer sufficient space to have everyone in at all time. But given their narrow view, because they had an office, it didn't occur to them that the same wasn't true for their workers.

Reactions: 2