Does anyone hate their job? #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im in my job about 18 months. I like it for the most part but it’s tough and my manager is insufferable. I was actively applying for other jobs before I found out I was pregnant so now I’m kind of stuck here until i go on maternity leave but due to logistics of childcare and not being able to work from home, I probably won’t come back.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yes me! So I’ve been in my current job for 16 months, and I’m already fed up of it, mainly I work in the community but I’m constantly being put in several clinics per week, often im the only qualified practitioner so very limited support especially when it’s really busy it’s completely unfair there should be 2 qualified but often it’s junior staff present who are limited as to what they can do which isn’t there fault it’s the way my boss has organised it and I feel my boss constantly puts more on me but less so for other members of the team, I don’t want to sound mean either but I am always having to accommodate a student or new staff member shadowing me when I’m already feeling fed up or under increased pressure I’m just sick of it and I am now wondering what else I could do that would earn the same income, my boss is a pain sometimes in the sense that she’s constantly changing my rota around and even if we raise our concerns it falls on deaf ears, just had enough lately☹😏

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
I'm officially looking at new jobs.

I explained on the last thread that I don't love my job currently despite loving my firm but I've had some time to evaluate what I really want recently, and that it something more than my role can give me.

My only dilemma now is that I'm 26 and I've had quite a few jobs since I was 15 when I started working. 6 in total, but 7 if you include my change of job role in my current firm. Is this really unattractive to employers? I changed career when I was about 21 and went into admin then, but before that I'd had 3 jobs lasting less than a year each. Then I moved onto one temp contract and then landed a perm role which I stayed at for 2 years and now I've been with my current firm for two and a half years. Is this too many jobs? I'm just thinking because now my CV spans across three pages, which I suppose I could shorten down but just not sure how really!

I explained on the last thread that I don't love my job currently despite loving my firm but I've had some time to evaluate what I really want recently, and that it something more than my role can give me.

My only dilemma now is that I'm 26 and I've had quite a few jobs since I was 15 when I started working. 6 in total, but 7 if you include my change of job role in my current firm. Is this really unattractive to employers? I changed career when I was about 21 and went into admin then, but before that I'd had 3 jobs lasting less than a year each. Then I moved onto one temp contract and then landed a perm role which I stayed at for 2 years and now I've been with my current firm for two and a half years. Is this too many jobs? I'm just thinking because now my CV spans across three pages, which I suppose I could shorten down but just not sure how really!
In my last job I was actively hiring and looking at CVs, so I feel I've seen a fair few of them. It does sound like a lot, but from what you explained with the career change, I personally wouldn't put your application aside, because you not only undertook a career change, you also were in your most recent positions in that career for a normal amount of time. 2 year and 2.5 years is totally normal, at least it was in my last company and is also in my current, so that wouldn't raise any flags for me.
I have rejected CVs with a lot of short-term positions, not going to lie, but those were mostly where there was no coherence in the positions and they were so short in tenure that it was questionable whether the employee even made the probation period.

Reactions: 1

Don't mention the jobs before your career change, and if they ask tell them you'd had the usual jobs a young person has befor they find what they want to do. We've all done that, job hopping from temp job to temp job whether that is admin or supermarkets - if I were to list all my jobs on my CV it would probably be 4 pages.

HR aren't interested in irrelevant jobs anyway. Pick and choose what is relevant to your career only.

So I had my appraisal earlier this week, and after everything that's been going on it was extremely positive, but I few things were said that have made me want to leave even more lol:
-"we're bringing someone in who is the same age as you but has x amount more experience than you ... don't feel threatened or intimidated though"
Basically they're bringing in someone who has taken over all the new jobs we have coming up even though they don't start until April
-"You really need to think about where you see yourself in 5 years as you might have a different idea in mind"
I think they've seen my CV somewhere and realising that I don't want to be here oops

It's so hard to chat to people as everyone says how I've only been here a year, but I feel like you learn so much about a company within a year !!

Also looking at jobs online it has made me realise that I actually don't get any benefits, other than a free car park 😂

Just feel like 2024 has started off rubbish and I am definitely on the hunt for a new role x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Has anyone had experience of being gaslighted by a boss/manager in work?
I’ve expressed concerns that I feel I’ve been treated unprofessionally and it’s caused me severe anxiety and rather than support I’ve been told it’s my anxiety making me think I'm being treated this way. Don’t dismiss and undermine my experiences, I know how I’m being spoken to/treated and how rude and unprofessional it is.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Has anyone had experience of being gaslighted by a boss/manager in work?
I’ve expressed concerns that I feel I’ve been treated unprofessionally and it’s caused me severe anxiety and rather than support I’ve been told it’s my anxiety making me think I'm being treated this way. Don’t dismiss and undermine my experiences, I know how I’m being spoken to/treated and how rude and unprofessional it is.
Ugh, that’s disgusting. I’m sorry you’re being treated like that. (Do you work at the same place as me?!). The only way I’ve ever been able to cope with gaslighting is to leave… and it’s normally only at that point where you realise how many others are going through it too.

• Heart
I hate my job. I’m an overworked, underpaid boss lady and I’m done with it. I don’t even know why I’m a manager, a senior manager at that. It’s awful! I try to be a good manager though I’m sure I fail at it all the time. And I know a bad boss is the worst. But my gosh, the pressure. There isn’t enough resource, so I end up having to do a bit of everything which means no time to do my actual job. The expectations on me from everyone are immense. I’m supposed to know everything and be able to fix everything with a wave of a wand and god help me if I forget something or can’t get round to doing something. There was no manual, haha. I’ve spent my entire time in the job trying to understand the place, trying to make it better, trying to build people up. Trying to protect people’s wellbeing. But it’s all pointless at the end of the day. And nobody does that for me.

I could go work in some frontline jobs with much less stress and responsibility for basically the same pay. I could also side step to the same role in a different place for nearly £15k more a year. I feel bad because I don’t like to quit, I like to feel like I’ve achieved all I can and have left somewhere in a better state than when I arrived but, nah. I’ve probably fucked everything up but I’m so gosh darned exhausted I can’t even think straight anymore.
I read a lot of posts on here that talk about how tit peoples bosses are and I get it. They probably are tit. But there’s a wee sub section of us manager types who are literally killing ourselves trying and getting zero in return. I’ll away to the back to play the worlds smallest violin!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Ugh, that’s disgusting. I’m sorry you’re being treated like that. (Do you work at the same place as me?!). The only way I’ve ever been able to cope with gaslighting is to leave… and it’s normally only at that point where you realise how many others are going through it too.
Thank you. Yeah you’re not wrong, there’s a toxic culture there, it’s not going to change so the only option is to leave these places and they get away with it yet again.

• Heart
To both of you lovelies, 2024 is for standing up for ourselves and doing what is best for our mental / physical health - even if that means leaving <3

I have made the decision I want to find something to be able to hand in my letter by the beginning of April, to leave beginning of May - mentally I feel better already knowing I've made a decision, haven't found the right job yet but I am positive I'm very close!

• Heart
To both of you lovelies, 2024 is for standing up for ourselves and doing what is best for our mental / physical health - even if that means leaving <3

I have made the decision I want to find something to be able to hand in my letter by the beginning of April, to leave beginning of May - mentally I feel better already knowing I've made a decision, haven't found the right job yet but I am positive I'm very close!
Well done for taking that step, it just already feel like a weight has lifted! 🎉

• Heart
Well done for taking that step, it just already feel like a weight has lifted! 🎉
100%, I won't lie I am extremely stressed about telling my boss as I'm in such a small firm, but they have a new starter who does the exact same as me starting next month and I'm damn well sure they'll be paying her more than me so in a way I'm doing them a favour and saving them money #girlmath

• Heart
Reactions: 3

I kind of made that decision over Christmas. I had my ‘final straw’ right before we closed for Christmas and I didn’t get over it in the holidays! I literally came back to work and started clearing out my desk and have been job hunting ever since 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 4
So, I had a massive job interview today. I nearly talked myself out of even going to it numerous times. I was on the way home going through my usual spiral of ‘oh god, I made such a tit of myself’ when I got a call and they offered me the job. I’m kind of gobsmacked. I don’t think it will be an easy job but it feels like a better fit for me than where I am, and there is a better level of resource as well. I wouldn’t have to be 400 different roles, I could just focus more on my own role. Refreshing.
I hope for those of you feeling the pain of being burned out and in the wrong place that you find a way out too!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
So, I had a massive job interview today. I nearly talked myself out of even going to it numerous times. I was on the way home going through my usual spiral of ‘oh god, I made such a tit of myself’ when I got a call and they offered me the job. I’m kind of gobsmacked. I don’t think it will be an easy job but it feels like a better fit for me than where I am, and there is a better level of resource as well. I wouldn’t have to be 400 different roles, I could just focus more on my own role. Refreshing.
I hope for those of you feeling the pain of being burned out and in the wrong place that you find a way out too!
Congrats on landing the new job!!!

• Heart
My boss told me over whatsapp yesterday I'm tit lol whilst in the office and sat 3 foot away. Cried on the way home. Feel like I'm trapped in this job because there's nothing out there in my industry and people can't see the transferable skills 😭

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
My boss told me over whatsapp yesterday I'm tit lol whilst in the office and sat 3 foot away. Cried on the way home. Feel like I'm trapped in this job because there's nothing out there in my industry and people can't see the transferable skills 😭
I’m gobsmacked by this. That’s reportable and you have evidence. Totally unacceptable thing to do!