Does anyone hate their job? #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The HR call I had today went well, i think - it was just an initial call, mostly to tell what the company and role would entail. Given that it's an area I've never worked in before and that isn't Tech I think I did well, but can't be 100% obviously as they might look for very different things than what I'm typically looking for when I'm on the other side of the desk/cam.
Hope they get back fast to me, I haven't heard back from any other application I sent last week or the week before that yet :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4
I had a manager like this until recently. Had my small revenge though when she recently got demoted and posted in 2 separate chats that she was now leaving the team and it had been a pleasure blah blah blah. I read both messages and didn't respond. I know she saw that I'd read them, but she was so dismissive of me and rude that I couldn't bring myself to wish her well. Hopefully your manager will soon be moved on too and no longer your problem X
Thank you!

You must have a crystal ball of some sort haha :) A few days after you posted this, my manager announced their departure.

I said absolutely nothing during the meeting where they announced their departure because for whatever reason, no words came to me.

I don’t know what their successor will be like, but regardless, I have been looking for a new role where I’ll be appreciated from the get-go.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I had a manager like this until recently. Had my small revenge though when she recently got demoted and posted in 2 separate chats that she was now leaving the team and it had been a pleasure blah blah blah. I read both messages and didn't respond. I know she saw that I'd read them, but she was so dismissive of me and rude that I couldn't bring myself to wish her well. Hopefully your manager will soon be moved on too and no longer your problem X
I'd have done a little thumbs up emoji on the messages :devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: 6
My team was told to work from home this week due to internal issues.
Both team mates went in anyway to show how they are so dedicated are.
This is second time they have done this and each time our immediate boss makes me feel like crap for actually doing what I was told to do.
They also come in an hour early and she loves that they are doing so much unpaid overtime.
She is slowly cutting me out of everything and last time this happened I nearly had a breakdown with how badly she treated me.
I will be talking to our higher boss and letting him know that he needs to reign her tit in.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Is there a thread on here for job advice as a whole? I'm looking at potentially going full time freelance later this year, but none of my friends or family have ever been in my position and I have no idea where to start!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Is there a thread on here for job advice as a whole? I'm looking at potentially going full time freelance later this year, but none of my friends or family have ever been in my position and I have no idea where to start!
not aware of a general job thread, though we do cover a fair bit of general advice here as well :giggle:
Going freelance sounds exciting! My partner is a full time freelancer, but given we live in Germany I don’t know how applicable all that is, plus at least here some bits are quite specific to the industry you’re in.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
not aware of a general job thread, though we do cover a fair bit of general advice here as well :giggle:
Going freelance sounds exciting! My partner is a full time freelancer, but given we live in Germany I don’t know how applicable all that is, plus at least here some bits are quite specific to the industry you’re in.
I did think I'd be able to ask here tbh but I know threads can get a bit bombarded with other bits so thought I'd ask!

I have been offered a freelance role in graphic design, but I am so unsure whether to go for it as I would be leaving a full time job which obviously gives me job security and guaranteed income monthly which I need given I have bills to pay lol.
They are a good company, and are not short of work as they are always looking for new designers, but they said that everyone on the team is freelance!

I'm only 25 so I have no clue what I'd need / need to do before working out if this would work so any advice / tips / reads are highly appreciated !!

• Heart
Used to love my job and workplace but it’s been getting progressively worse since about a year ago thanks to a restructure and seems to have peaked at the beginning of this month - we’ve now crossed over into absolute hell. I get upset most days and feel like it’s robbing me of any joy in life because I’m too burnt out to be happy or care about anything.

I have an interview today for something I’d genuinely enjoy and I’m terrified. It’s not just the ‘I need a job’ pressure, it the fact this is a real opportunity to get out of my situation and improve my mental health again. I need this. 🥺

Think I just wanted to vent as I haven’t told many people IRL!!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I did think I'd be able to ask here tbh but I know threads can get a bit bombarded with other bits so thought I'd ask!

I have been offered a freelance role in graphic design, but I am so unsure whether to go for it as I would be leaving a full time job which obviously gives me job security and guaranteed income monthly which I need given I have bills to pay lol.
They are a good company, and are not short of work as they are always looking for new designers, but they said that everyone on the team is freelance!

I'm only 25 so I have no clue what I'd need / need to do before working out if this would work so any advice / tips / reads are highly appreciated !!
I work in healthcare so I will preface all my advice by saying I 1) have no idea what freelance work is like and 2) don't know the job market for graphic design at all.

If you take it, could you easily move back into a permanent role if you didn't like it? If you could then why not - 25 is the perfect age to take a job that gives you more freedom IMO. Would they be expecting more from you as a freelancer? If you lost your contract with them, could you afford to stay unemployed until something you liked came up or would you need to find a new job asap and would that be realistic?

Looks like this is a pretty good article on UK taxes: https://www.expatica.com/uk/finance/taxes/self-employed-tax-uk-758269/ which would be my biggest "worry" when going freelance. I did for a while and I hated having to do all the paperwork, although the UK is much easier than my country when it comes to this stuff.

You'd have to insure yourself and pay your own pension contributions, so make sure the money you bring in will still be a good wage after you've paid for all of this.

If you have a dedicated work room you might be able to deduct some of your electricity cost, cost for the internet, etc from your taxes.

You'll also be responsible for all work equipment you'd need, but again, that can be deducted from your taxes afaik.

Positives:
- you can work from anywhere
- you can choose your clients
- salary is not limited, especially if you have experience - you can set your own wages
- Work hours are up to you to define - wanna work 5pm to midnight? Who's gonna stop you?
- you can work as much or as little as you want (subject to affordability of course)
- Take as much holiday as you want to (subject to affordability of course)
- You will not have a classic boss, the boss will be you

Negatives:
- No statutory holidays and the associated pay
- Paperwork
- Less workplace protections, as you'll be your own company
- Clients might not pay you / pay you on time so you'd have to chase them, and might even have to sue them to get your money
- You will need to become proficient in contract language
- You will need to be available to your clients at times when you'd rather not be - i. e. answer emails and calls eve while on holiday for enquiries into your services
- Your time management will need to be on point, both for your clients and for the tax offices

• Heart
Looks like this is a pretty good article on UK taxes: https://www.expatica.com/uk/finance/taxes/self-employed-tax-uk-758269/ which would be my biggest "worry" when going freelance. I did for a while and I hated having to do all the paperwork, although the UK is much easier than my country when it comes to this stuff.

You'd have to insure yourself and pay your own pension contributions, so make sure the money you bring in will still be a good wage after you've paid for all of this.

If you have a dedicated work room you might be able to deduct some of your electricity cost, cost for the internet, etc from your taxes.

You'll also be responsible for all work equipment you'd need, but again, that can be deducted from your taxes afaik.

Positives:
- you can work from anywhere
- you can choose your clients
- salary is not limited, especially if you have experience - you can set your own wages
- Work hours are up to you to define - wanna work 5pm to midnight? Who's gonna stop you?
- you can work as much or as little as you want (subject to affordability of course)
- Take as much holiday as you want to (subject to affordability of course)
- You will not have a classic boss, the boss will be you

Negatives:
- No statutory holidays and the associated pay
- Paperwork
- Less workplace protections, as you'll be your own company
- Clients might not pay you / pay you on time so you'd have to chase them, and might even have to sue them to get your money
- You will need to become proficient in contract language
- You will need to be available to your clients at times when you'd rather not be - i. e. answer emails and calls eve while on holiday for enquiries into your services
- Your time management will need to be on point, both for your clients and for the tax offices
Thank you for this !!

I'm going to have a read up, and also hopefully have a call with the business later this week / next week to understand their terms. I'm not short of work in my current freelance role, but it's the fact I need to learn how to do it all properly and make sure I earn more than what I'm on now to protect myself as like you mentioned, I'll have to pay my pension too which is super important to me !!

NHS/healthcare staff, how do you deal with rude consultants without wanting to hit them?

Had a run in with a well known hole consultant this afternoon. Completely disregarded my professional opinion on a patient, starting loudly talking about how "it didn't matter cos [patient] is going to die anyway" within earshot of the family and then started talking about how useless the service I work for is. I am absolutely livid, this poor patient needs investigations that they won't get now because the consultant won't take what we're (multiple other members of the MDT, including on ward nursing staff) are saying seriously.

Luckily I work on a short stay ward so the patient will move to another consultant who will listen to our concerns and will action them, but until then... how do I avoid physically assaulting them?

Freedom to speak up guardians in our trust are known to be pretty useless and slimy as well, tbh.

• Sad
Could you raise a datix, it’s obviously not confidential but if it’s a patient safety issue then at least it’s logged and the more of a picture they get of these tin gods the more chance they will see a pattern.

For some reason it’s not enough to be polite respectful and generally friendly at my work. My colleagues are always oversharing, trauma dumping and none of us have worked together that long. They expect you to overshare and if not theyll ignore you (when I’m being polite) ir met with a cold shoulder as though you’ve done something so terrible. Is this normal in work spaces. I do not want to overshare my personal life and I certainly don’t want to people please, which is something I’ve had to work on in the past. I just find it all draining and fake to be honest

• Heart
Could you raise a datix, it’s obviously not confidential but if it’s a patient safety issue then at least it’s logged and the more of a picture they get of these tin gods the more chance they will see a pattern.
I'm considering it but it'll be pretty obvious it's from me and I'll be working on this ward indefinitely so will be coming across the Dr a lot. :/

For some reason it’s not enough to be polite respectful and generally friendly at my work. My colleagues are always oversharing, trauma dumping and none of us have worked together that long. They expect you to overshare and if not theyll ignore you (when I’m being polite) ir met with a cold shoulder as though you’ve done something so terrible. Is this normal in work spaces. I do not want to overshare my personal life and I certainly don’t want to people please, which is something I’ve had to work on in the past. I just find it all draining and fake to be honest
I think this is normal everywhere. I find it draining and can’t navigate personas like that so deal with being on the outside. You’d be surprised how many people feel the same but play along because it has its benefits.

• Heart
I can so relate to this. For the past year, I’ve been continuously been told I don’t have good communication skills and don’t know how to network because I’m not open enough. I was even told that if I ever became a manager, people would leave because of this.

My team overshares about everything and anything. I have solid boundaries and as a result, I’ve continuously been cast as the ‘introvert’ who is socially inept when I’m not.

• Heart
I’ve left a team a bit like this. They thrived off being over involved in each other’s lives, then when the tit hit the fan and they were too involved they would look to me, the manager who understand professional boundaries and sets them properly so doesn’t know any of the back story, to wave a magic wand and make it go away.
I don’t really understand people like this. Like, I liked a fair amount of the people I worked with, thought they had cool hobbies and interests and whatever, could see myself being friends with them in another context. But, they were my work colleagues. So, I was there to…. work with them. But that made me a total space alien, basically.

I should add that I’ve never worked in a team like it before, and truly hope never to ever again.

I hate this too. Then when you don’t want to be a part of it they tell you you’re not being ‘part of the team’!