Does anyone hate their job? #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been in that situation, office mate literally writing essays on whatsapp for 40 minutes at a time and scrolling all day - it's a management problem. So many useless, ineffectual managers in the NHS! The only way to deal with it is by moving jobs for your own sanity (luckily I moved to a similar fully remote role, I'll never work in an office again if I can help it!)
I had a team mate like this literally all day on whats app on his work pc.
We all knew.
Handed in his notice and kept lying when asked how he was finishing everything.
Turns out he hadnt actually done any work for about 4 months, nothing not a thing.
They just believed him when he said he was on top of things.
I on the other hand was drowning in work with zero support and they were on my back every minute of every day.
Another boss mentioned the lack of work done by team mate to my office friend and they quite rightly said well we all knew he was on whats app all day and if bosses hadnt been focused on making my work life hell they might have spotted it.

Reactions: 1
I just need to vent for a moment.
I don't like my job. I came to this company with high expectations and quit my old job due to the extreme stress and quite unreasonable expectation there, but I loved the job itself. The company I work for gave me a very different picture of what I'd be working on and the skillset of people in my team than what was the reality, something I've been quite vocal about.
Then I changed teams, once more with an outline of what I'd be working on, I was supposed to get a dedicated team and now, once more, nothing like that. I inherited a team. They are lovely, but I really couldn't care less about the stuff they're working on. The company itself is really the problem and I would love to just quit as I don't believe in their so-called culture. Maybe it was a cool place to work a few years ago but I honestly can't say I've felt that way in the time I've been there.

It's so frustrating. I've applied, even with a referral now to a job that would be quitea bit yet I'm not the best fit, the whole tech market has become extremely saturated. I was prepared to even take a little less money than what I get now and even with that I get rejected. Going freelance, as lovely as that sounds isn't for me I think, I balk at the thought of the paperwork and I know of freelancing software engineers that sometimes take 4-5 months to find a longterm project. I'm not an engineer but if they have so much trouble, I don't want to know how much trouble I'd have, plus I don't want the risk of me and my partner both freelancing, one stable income seems much better.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I just need to vent for a moment.
I don't like my job. I came to this company with high expectations and quit my old job due to the extreme stress and quite unreasonable expectation there, but I loved the job itself. The company I work for gave me a very different picture of what I'd be working on and the skillset of people in my team than what was the reality, something I've been quite vocal about.
Then I changed teams, once more with an outline of what I'd be working on, I was supposed to get a dedicated team and now, once more, nothing like that. I inherited a team. They are lovely, but I really couldn't care less about the stuff they're working on. The company itself is really the problem and I would love to just quit as I don't believe in their so-called culture. Maybe it was a cool place to work a few years ago but I honestly can't say I've felt that way in the time I've been there.

It's so frustrating. I've applied, even with a referral now to a job that would be quitea bit yet I'm not the best fit, the whole tech market has become extremely saturated. I was prepared to even take a little less money than what I get now and even with that I get rejected. Going freelance, as lovely as that sounds isn't for me I think, I balk at the thought of the paperwork and I know of freelancing software engineers that sometimes take 4-5 months to find a longterm project. I'm not an engineer but if they have so much trouble, I don't want to know how much trouble I'd have, plus I don't want the risk of me and my partner both freelancing, one stable income seems much better.
I'm sorry it hasn't gotten better Coadiaeum, it sucks a ton :(

Maybe you can find something here? https://osb-alliance.de/jobs I know those companies are still desperately looking for people, as does mine. Don't give up!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Heyy I'm new here but just needed somewhere to rant and this thread seemed appropriate. I work for a very small company in sales and we have been told by the boss how tit we are doing and he is negative about every thing 100% of the time. I've had enough and decided to look for a new job which is huge for me because I doubt myself so much and hate change.

I applied for a couple of jobs and had interviews for all 3. Two were zoom and one was face to face. I wasn't keen on the two zoom ones once I had the interviews but decided to see what happened. The face to face interview went so well. The guy was lovely and the job seemed good. He said I will be coming back for a second interview the following week. He rang me later that day offering me the job straight away. Wonderful.

Now, my boss is the biggest hole going and I am giving my notice in tomorrow. I've bit my tongue for 3 years, even when he's called me a bleep. I am absolutely dreading tomorrow.

I don't know what the point of this post is but I just needed to rant

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Has anyone ever gotten to the point where they hate a job or a team so much that they can’t physically stand to be there? Literally, the only time when I’m in a decent mood is when I’m off. Everything irritates me at this point, even the most insignificant thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I walked out on my job about 3 weeks ago, staff were OK.
SLT - a different ball game.

• Heart
Has anyone ever gotten to the point where they hate a job or a team so much that they can’t physically stand to be there? Literally, the only time when I’m in a decent mood is when I’m off. Everything irritates me at this point, even the most insignificant thing.
Yeah, it's the BEC syndrome - when someone or someone annoys you so much that even them eating crackers pisses you off. You need to get out if you can - if you were able to get your Zen back, you would have done, but you didn't, so you won't. Seriously, get out as soon as you can, this is no way to spend a third of your waking hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yeah, it's the BEC syndrome - when someone or someone annoys you so much that even them eating crackers pisses you off. You need to get out if you can - if you were able to get your Zen back, you would have done, but you didn't, so you won't. Seriously, get out as soon as you can, this is no way to spend a third of your waking hours.
Thank you. Agree. It’s been 5 years of me saying ‘things will soon get better’ but they never did. It’s just getting progressively worse. It’s just like dead weight at this point and I’m just going through the motions to keep a roof over my head and food on the table. Being miserable 5 days a week is awful.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Hi all, hope everyone is coping alright. Crappy people at work suck. :(

I actually posted in the last thread #2 about a situation at my work and negotiating salary increase which I actually managed to get in the end. Yay! Thanks to all the kind souls who read here for advice and just being lovely kind people.

Luckily, I’ve never really hated my job where I’m currently at. I actually work with an overall decent bunch of people. But there are definitely a couple weird bits of politics and work dynamics at play at the minute for me that are a bit annoying.

So, I just wanted to ask if there are any junior/mid levelers who’ve noticed some pretty big mistakes from their managers, and if so, what have you done?

I’m in a client facing job, so if my manager makes some strategic errors, sometimes they can impact the results I’m present month on month. For example, my manager set a KPI projection for 2023 4x higher than it should have been because they made the projection using the wrong data. Therefore, all of the correct data I was presenting against these targets was indicating that we weren’t meeting targets that we were in fact overachieving by on. Also I’m not being stubborn here, I’ve done the investigation and am confident she’s used the wrong data.

I’ve tried not to bring it up in a way that I’m not accusing her. But I’ve asked questions like “can you explain how you got to these numbers, to help me justify findings in my reports”. And I’ve never really been given an explanation that makes sense. At least to me, it’s like my manager won’t back down, and admit she made a mistake. But then at the same time, when setting new targets for the new year, she’s asked me to sense check. 😬

Hi all, hope everyone is coping alright. Crappy people at work suck. :(

I actually posted in the last thread #2 about a situation at my work and negotiating salary increase which I actually managed to get in the end. Yay! Thanks to all the kind souls who read here for advice and just being lovely kind people.

Luckily, I’ve never really hated my job where I’m currently at. I actually work with an overall decent bunch of people. But there are definitely a couple weird bits of politics and work dynamics at play at the minute for me that are a bit annoying.

So, I just wanted to ask if there are any junior/mid levelers who’ve noticed some pretty big mistakes from their managers, and if so, what have you done?

I’m in a client facing job, so if my manager makes some strategic errors, sometimes they can impact the results I’m present month on month. For example, my manager set a KPI projection for 2023 4x higher than it should have been because they made the projection using the wrong data. Therefore, all of the correct data I was presenting against these targets was indicating that we weren’t meeting targets that we were in fact overachieving by on. Also I’m not being stubborn here, I’ve done the investigation and am confident she’s used the wrong data.

I’ve tried not to bring it up in a way that I’m not accusing her. But I’ve asked questions like “can you explain how you got to these numbers, to help me justify findings in my reports”. And I’ve never really been given an explanation that makes sense. At least to me, it’s like my manager won’t back down, and admit she made a mistake. But then at the same time, when setting new targets for the new year, she’s asked me to sense check. 😬
Well done on your pay rise! I think it depends on your relationship with her. For politics, if you like it there and want to stay, I would say:

“hey x, please can we just prioritise getting a walkthrough of how you used Y data to project these targets? It would be really great if us 2 could sit down as the metrics and targets just aren’t making sense to me looking at Y data. I really want to support on this effectively for next year, so I just want to check if there’s a missing piece?”
---
I am rarely one to fall on a sword for a mistake others have made but sometimes you have to weasel it 😭

Heyy I'm new here but just needed somewhere to rant and this thread seemed appropriate. I work for a very small company in sales and we have been told by the boss how tit we are doing and he is negative about every thing 100% of the time. I've had enough and decided to look for a new job which is huge for me because I doubt myself so much and hate change.

I applied for a couple of jobs and had interviews for all 3. Two were zoom and one was face to face. I wasn't keen on the two zoom ones once I had the interviews but decided to see what happened. The face to face interview went so well. The guy was lovely and the job seemed good. He said I will be coming back for a second interview the following week. He rang me later that day offering me the job straight away. Wonderful.

Now, my boss is the biggest hole going and I am giving my notice in tomorrow. I've bit my tongue for 3 years, even when he's called me a bleep. I am absolutely dreading tomorrow.

I don't know what the point of this post is but I just needed to rant
Just a little update, I gave my notice in and actually got a good response. My boss said he will be sad to see me go and is there anything that can be done to change my mind which there definitely isn't. I feel much better but I've still got a month to endure so things could change

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Just a little update, I gave my notice in and actually got a good response. My boss said he will be sad to see me go and is there anything that can be done to change my mind which there definitely isn't. I feel much better but I've still got a month to endure so things could change
Very glad to hear this, and congratulations on the new job !!

I'm in a similar position, but haven't actually found a new job yet 😂 Dreading telling my boss when I do as at the moment I am the only social media person here for the company which isn't great :/

• Heart

I'm in a similar position, but haven't actually found a new job yet 😂 Dreading telling my boss when I do as at the moment I am the only social media person here for the company which isn't great :/
Don't worry about that - it's their fault they never hired anyone else, even if you didn't leave with a new job and just went on a vacation, your job isn't going to be done by anyone else. You're not there to compensate for their oversight.
Good luck on finding something new soon!

• Heart

Thank you so much. Honestly my boss has dragged me down so much and I lost my happy little self and I am the only person that does my job but I had to put myself first for a change. Sometimes you just have to put yourself and mental health first

• Heart
Literally nobody cared that I resigned 🤣. Hardly any of the staff team that I’ve busted a lung for even acknowledged that I told them I was leaving. Even less of them have even given me a cursory ‘I wish you well for the future’. Same with the volunteers and most of the trustees I work with. Literally nothing. I’m actually ghosted by a lot of people at this point. On one hand, I’m devastated. I did not want anyone to beg me to stay or make a big deal, but the silence is deafening. I keep thinking I will skip out before my last day because I feel like a complete and utter bleeping failure that everyone hates. On the other hand, it confirms to me that my being in this horrible and toxic environment has been a massive mistake and hanging in my resignation was the smartest thing I have ever done for my mental and physical health. I wouldn’t have been offered my new job if I hadn’t have put the time in in this one, so I just need to accept this was a stepping stone and not the place where I was going to settle in my career.

I didn’t anticipate the negative impact on my mental health that would come with resigning. I’m so relieved to be moving on but my confidence is destroyed. Can I really do this job? What if I mess up in the new place? And so on.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Literally nobody cared that I resigned 🤣. Hardly any of the staff team that I’ve busted a lung for even acknowledged that I told them I was leaving. Even less of them have even given me a cursory ‘I wish you well for the future’. Same with the volunteers and most of the trustees I work with. Literally nothing. I’m actually ghosted by a lot of people at this point. On one hand, I’m devastated. I did not want anyone to beg me to stay or make a big deal, but the silence is deafening. I keep thinking I will skip out before my last day because I feel like a complete and utter bleeping failure that everyone hates. On the other hand, it confirms to me that my being in this horrible and toxic environment has been a massive mistake and hanging in my resignation was the smartest thing I have ever done for my mental and physical health. I wouldn’t have been offered my new job if I hadn’t have put the time in in this one, so I just need to accept this was a stepping stone and not the place where I was going to settle in my career.

I didn’t anticipate the negative impact on my mental health that would come with resigning. I’m so relieved to be moving on but my confidence is destroyed. Can I really do this job? What if I mess up in the new place? And so on.
I'm so sorry they made you feel that way. It really does prove that to employers, we really are just a number. The company I work for, is very very small and I'm the only female, so that's the only reason, they feel the way the do, they will miss me washing up for them ever lunch time. Good luck in you're new job!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
This is what happens in a toxic workplace, you lose faith in your own ability and it warps how you see things. Give it 6 months in the new job, (assuming it's a lot better than where you are now) and you'll look back and see things very differently

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Don't worry about that - it's their fault they never hired anyone else, even if you didn't leave with a new job and just went on a vacation, your job isn't going to be done by anyone else. You're not there to compensate for their oversight.
Good luck on finding something new soon!
That is very true - they had someone doing the socials before but she posted once and that was it 😂 In the year I've been here, I have grown all platforms with a huge increase in engagement and content, as well as starting a rebrand too!

I also received an email today inviting me to an interview tomorrow afternoon after work and I am BUZZING but I don't want to tell anyone I know in case I jinx it 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Can you talk to a therapist for a couple of sessions? I think it would really help you separate your self worth from your work and the fucked up social dynamics at your old job. Because let's be honest, that is a really horrible reaction to you leaving.
It's hurtful and insulting, and I'm not surpised you're taking it to heart even though I'm sure it's got zero to do with you.

• Heart