Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you. It’s like they forget I do actually already have a job and I can’t just move/cancel/rearrange things at the drop of a hat. I already feel guilty lying to work and telling them I’m at the dentist this morning!
They don’t forget, they just don’t care. I think once you remember that you take back some control lol also it puts them on the back foot. Good luck with it, sounds like you’ve got a good few options, werk it!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
They don’t forget, they just don’t care. I think once you remember that you take back some control lol also it puts them on the back foot. Good luck with it, sounds like you’ve got a good few options, werk it!
Exactly this! Show them that you're in demand and they need to work for you. Recruiters get money for successfully hiring someone, make them do their job properly.

My partner is a freelancer and sometimes gets contacted from recruiters for projects and some of them basically ghost you for weeks, only to then wanting to talk to you immediately. So far he's always declined such spontaneous interviews and asked for another day and it was always fine.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
A recruiter contacted me last Wednesday night briefly about a job they thought would be suitable for me. We arranged a phone call the following day to chat in more depth about what I was after etc and I agreed to let him pass my cv onto the company and I said Wednesday (today) would be an ok day for me to have an interview if they liked the sound of me. I hadn’t heard anything from the recruiter 🤷🏼‍♀️ and I have an interview this morning for somewhere else (took the morning off work for it) anyway, he tried calling me this morning and I didn’t pick up, so he text me saying they would love to interview me today and have availability up until this afternoon. I’ve not replied as I wouldn’t have time for both interviews and I haven’t done any research! It’s all a bit last minute and I’m not impressed as I assumed i hadn’t got a slot. Surely he would have known before today that they wanted to interview me?! I don’t know what to respond with as I said I could do today if they wanted. 🤯
That’s a tough one, but don’t let the recruiters poor communication skills stop you from giving it a go. Personally, I would go back and say you have another interview this morning, can you interview after 5pm or possibly suggest a quick chat around lunch to make sure the company is right for you before you waste your time interviewing. Tell the company the recruiter never confirmed the interview for today so you’ve accepted another interview in the interim. These people are getting paid for a job and the company needs to know if they’re bad at it!

Reactions: 1
That’s a tough one, but don’t let the recruiters poor communication skills stop you from giving it a go. Personally, I would go back and say you have another interview this morning, can you interview after 5pm or possibly suggest a quick chat around lunch to make sure the company is right for you before you waste your time interviewing. Tell the company the recruiter never confirmed the interview for today so you’ve accepted another interview in the interim. These people are getting paid for a job and the company needs to know if they’re bad at it!
Is that ok to contact the company directly? I’ve not had any contact with them at all. Sorry, this is all new to me 😅

Is the interview with the company or the recruiter? X
It’s with the company. X
This was the text off the recruiter

I hope you are well?

***** have called this morning and would love to get you booked in for an interview! They have availability this morning up until pm, please could you give us a call back….

It’s with the company. X
This was the text off the recruiter

I hope you are well?

***** have called this morning and would love to get you booked in for an interview! They have availability this morning up until pm, please could you give us a call back….
They’re absolutely just trying to quickly book a lead, fire back and give your availability and request more info/if you have to prepare etc. I wouldn’t agree to a quick chat as they may just fire you head first into an actual interview.

ETA I work with a lot of recruiters - not just giving reckless advice lol! I’ve been both ends of the situation 😂

They’re absolutely just trying to quickly book a lead, fire back and give your availability and request more info/if you have to prepare etc. I wouldn’t agree to a quick chat as they may just fire you head first into an actual interview.

ETA I work with a lot of recruiters - not just giving reckless advice lol! I’ve been both ends of the situation 😂
I might sound like a cow, but did the recruiter genuinely think I would book the day off work and wait until this morning to see if I’d got an interview or not?!! I honestly don’t feel like responding to their text.
Anyway, I had my interview this morning and I think it went ok.

Reactions: 3
I might sound like a cow, but did the recruiter genuinely think I would book the day off work and wait until this morning to see if I’d got an interview or not?!! I honestly don’t feel like responding to their text.
Anyway, I had my interview this morning and I think it went ok.
Recruiters are literally the worst (sometimes)! I updated my CV recently and I must have got over 9 recruitment companies contact me. I spoke with the first few and they had some opportunities lined up which I was happy to be put forward for. Tell me why they expect you to be free in the middle of the working day?? I work 9-5, the same as the jobs I am being put forward for, yet they want to do an hours interview in the middle of the day and almost infer that you are not flexible if you say you can't?

I have offered to interview during my lunch hour and after the recruitment company being super eager, I never ever heard back from them. I used to chase them but now I am just thoroughly fed up of them.

Anyway, I hope you have better success than I have! Stand your grand and realise your worth. They want you to bend over backwards when the recruitment process is a 2 way street. If the employer themselves can't be flexible around your current working arrangements, imagine what they would be like to work for ...

• Heart
I want to change my career from retail to more office based, admin or financial that kind of thing. Any tips where to start?

A recruiter contacted me last Wednesday night briefly about a job they thought would be suitable for me. We arranged a phone call the following day to chat in more depth about what I was after etc and I agreed to let him pass my cv onto the company and I said Wednesday (today) would be an ok day for me to have an interview if they liked the sound of me. I hadn’t heard anything from the recruiter 🤷🏼‍♀️ and I have an interview this morning for somewhere else (took the morning off work for it) anyway, he tried calling me this morning and I didn’t pick up, so he text me saying they would love to interview me today and have availability up until this afternoon. I’ve not replied as I wouldn’t have time for both interviews and I haven’t done any research! It’s all a bit last minute and I’m not impressed as I assumed i hadn’t got a slot. Surely he would have known before today that they wanted to interview me?! I don’t know what to respond with as I said I could do today if they wanted. 🤯
That irritates me no end and it's so disrespectful of your time. I had a next day interview last week even though I had given them my availability weeks ago. I hope your other interview went well.
---
I want to change my career from retail to more office based, admin or financial that kind of thing. Any tips where to start?
Hello! I made this move myself a while ago now, but you will have a huge amount of transferrable skills that office based employers will be looking for. I would start by having a think about the sort of industry or sector you might like to work in. I began by working as a receptionist in the charity sector and I found it really rewarding, and it gave me the chance to try lots of different bits of office life as I was often asked to help other teams with various tasks. I went through a recruitment agency and they are quite helpful in suggesting the types of roles you might be suited to.

Last edited:
Recruiters are literally the worst (sometimes)! I updated my CV recently and I must have got over 9 recruitment companies contact me. I spoke with the first few and they had some opportunities lined up which I was happy to be put forward for. Tell me why they expect you to be free in the middle of the working day?? I work 9-5, the same as the jobs I am being put forward for, yet they want to do an hours interview in the middle of the day and almost infer that you are not flexible if you say you can't?

I have offered to interview during my lunch hour and after the recruitment company being super eager, I never ever heard back from them. I used to chase them but now I am just thoroughly fed up of them.

Anyway, I hope you have better success than I have! Stand your grand and realise your worth. They want you to bend over backwards when the recruitment process is a 2 way street. If the employer themselves can't be flexible around your current working arrangements, imagine what they would be like to work for ...
Exactly!! I’ve felt like I’ve been put on the spot when they’ve asked when I can be available for an interview. I want to look interested but then if I can’t work around my current job, I feel like that reflects badly on me. The recruiter has rung me twice since ringing me this morning. I never responded to his text about interviewing today because it cheesed me off! He’s sent me another text not long ago and now I feel like too much time has passed to contact him and a bit embarrassed tbh because I’ve been ignoring him. He said he didn’t want me to feel like he was pestering me…. But they’re really keen to interview me. I don’t even think I want to go for the interview anyway, now. I want to see how the one I went to this morning pans out….
One company offered me an interview slot of 12 until 1. I would need to take the whole day off work for that! Rather than a morning/afternoon!
Sorry for waffling on about myself!!

I do think there needs to be some candidate flexibility when attending interviews re: timing.

One poster stated she wished interviews were arranged during lunchtime, another stated that a lunchtime interview didn’t suit as it was in the middle of the day. Companies simply aren’t going to be able to please everyone especially if they are interviewing multiple people that day.

Companies being inflexible to an extent about interview timings isn’t a sign, in my opinion, that they will be inflexible to work with. Just a sign that they have a schedule and timeframe to work with and multiple diaries to try to coordinate.

However last-minute/short notice interviews are bad form. @it’s not been changed?! there would be nothing wrong with letting the recruiter know that’s it’s too short notice, you have other interviews arranged for that day but you’d love to attend interview later in the week (if that’s the case).

Companies being inflexible to an extent about interview timings isn’t a sign, in my opinion, that they will be inflexible to work with. Just a sign that they have a schedule and timeframe to work with and multiple diaries to try to coordinate.
I agree to an extent however speaking from personal experience, I had a company encourage me to say I had a doctor/dentist appointment (essentially lie to my current employer) to get time off. I got the job and whilst working there they said any medical appts have to be arranged out of working hours as they won't accommodate it. It was kind of ironic, given that it was their suggestion to use that as a reason to get time off. The place was toxic so I am always wary of how companies come across in the very early interview stages now.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've only ever worked in schools where they're obligated to give you time off to interview- does it not work like that elsewhere?

I've only ever worked in schools where they're obligated to give you time off to interview- does it not work like that elsewhere?
I'm not sure, but a big thing is that people don't want to broadcast that they're looking to leave, so they'll be using over-time, vacation days, etc to do it.

Sorry this is such a long post.

I've been at my new job 3 weeks and I already hate it. I enjoy the work but there's nothing to do, I could get my whole days work done in about 2 hours and the people are vile. I get ignored all day, even when I make an effort to talk to people. Someone else started the day after me and they've been going out the way to get to know her and make conversation but I'm still being ignored. A staff member came off mat leave yesterday, noticed the other new one went over her and spent aged talking to her then came up to the woman that sits next to me, pointed at me and asked who I was. I was too shocked to speak at that point 😂 We had a team meeting last week where we had to introduce ourselves and when I started talking people got up to go to the coffee machine and have their own conversations. I'm trying to not let it bother me but going the whole day without talking to anyone does wear me down.

The other day one of the higher ups asked if I could schedule a meeting for one of the teams and when I did one of them started ranting about whoever did this is an idiot (she knew it was me and she knew I could hear her) and kept on ranting about how confusing the calendar invite was and when I told her it was me she replied "and why did you take it upon yourself to get involved, no one asked you to do so", I told her who had but she just grunted at me then complained to my manager because apparently its none of my business, even though its literally my job. I did wonder if there's a problem with me like not being approachable but I've never had an issue like this anywhere else I work. My other colleagues constantly complain about fat people and my ethnic group and how they hate them, I try to tune it out but the woman next to me is the worst for it so its a bit difficult. Oh and to top it off I didn't get paid yesterday like I should have and there's no one in the office to ask about it until Monday. I'm trying to grit my teeth and push though but I think being called an idiot was my final straw.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17

I've been at my new job 3 weeks and I already hate it. I enjoy the work but there's nothing to do, I could get my whole days work done in about 2 hours and the people are vile. I get ignored all day, even when I make an effort to talk to people. Someone else started the day after me and they've been going out the way to get to know her and make conversation but I'm still being ignored. A staff member came off mat leave yesterday, noticed the other new one went over her and spent aged talking to her then came up to the woman that sits next to me, pointed at me and asked who I was. I was too shocked to speak at that point 😂 We had a team meeting last week where we had to introduce ourselves and when I started talking people got up to go to the coffee machine and have their own conversations. I'm trying to not let it bother me but going the whole day without talking to anyone does wear me down.

The other day one of the higher ups asked if I could schedule a meeting for one of the teams and when I did one of them started ranting about whoever did this is an idiot (she knew it was me and she knew I could hear her) and kept on ranting about how confusing the calendar invite was and when I told her it was me she replied "and why did you take it upon yourself to get involved, no one asked you to do so", I told her who had but she just grunted at me then complained to my manager because apparently its none of my business, even though its literally my job. I did wonder if there's a problem with me like not being approachable but I've never had an issue like this anywhere else I work. My other colleagues constantly complain about fat people and my ethnic group and how they hate them, I try to tune it out but the woman next to me is the worst for it so its a bit difficult. Oh and to top it off I didn't get paid yesterday like I should have and there's no one in the office to ask about it until Monday. I'm trying to grit my teeth and push though but I think being called an idiot was my final straw.
I say this kindly, but duck that. If there is any HR tell them about the discriminatory remarks. If not, leave asap or immediately if you can afford to. To me, it wouldn't be worth jeopardising my mental health to stay. What a toxic cesspit. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through that.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

This sounds awful.
I hate when people are ignorant or rude to new starters, we were all newbies at one point - but even worse, they're being racist and fatphobic?
Would you feel comfortable raising it with HR?
I assume you have a manager who asked you to do that one job - they should have taken responsibility to ensure you knew what you were doing and helped rectify if wrong.
I imagine you're feeling pretty down but remember you aced the interview process and earnt that job, don't let them treat you otherwise.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Wow, I'm so sorry that you're in this situation right now. Is there an HR deparment and could you raise all of that to them? There's tit to unpack here, derogatory remarks, name-calling, lack of work, not being paid.
Honestly, if you can, cut your losses now. Get your money and leave. That place doesn't sound like something you need to spend your time in much longer.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.