Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The others did not necessarily need training because they’ve worked this job their entire lives, so when they moved into this team, they didn’t need formal training. They just needed to know how the business works. For me, this job is a complete career shift.

I moved from an internal role where I had a lot of training to this one. My new manager said it’s better to “learn by doing” and it is a huge problem for me given the nature of our work. It’s being a bit set-up for failure given the first project I worked on from day 3 is the most complex they’ve had in a while.
It just shows how different people are because I do best by learning on the job as I go along. But then I'm also not scared of making mistakes and failures (to a degree ofcourse, can't be losing the company billions)
I would say that if it's learning as you go along and you are not comfortable in this sort of setting then ask your manager/boss if you can have a mentor. A person who can help steer you a little bit and you can bounce ideas off

It just shows how different people are because I do best by learning on the job as I go along. But then I'm also not scared of making mistakes and failures (to a degree ofcourse, can't be losing the company billions)
I would say that if it's learning as you go along and you are not comfortable in this sort of setting then ask your manager/boss if you can have a mentor. A person who can help steer you a little bit and you can bounce ideas off
I don’t mind learning as I go normally but this role is not purely internal. If I make a mistake, it has consequences.

Unfortunately, my role is not an operational or sales role which is why learning as you go isn’t the best. I worked in a more operational role where I learned as I went and it was fine. I’m not scared of failures or mistakes, but when my work is reviewed, it’s not reviewed by people who know you’re a new joiner. It’s reviewed my independent third parties which means you don’t have a margin for errors.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I don’t mind learning as I go normally but this role is not purely internal. If I make a mistake, it has consequences.

Unfortunately, my role is not an operational or sales role which is why learning as you go isn’t the best. I worked in a more operational role where I learned as I went and it was fine. I’m not scared of failures or mistakes, but when my work is reviewed, it’s not reviewed by people who know you’re a new joiner. It’s reviewed my independent third parties which means you don’t have a margin for errors.
Have you spoken to your manager about this? If your mistakes have consequences for the company why are they not providing you with the necessary training? It's not only that they're setting you up to fail (which is bad enough) but they're also putting the company in jeopardy. Seems like a crazy way of doing business.

Reactions: 3
I’ve finally got round to looking at my cv today. Reading it and looking at it, it’s so crap. I was lucky in my current job, I knew who was interviewing me and knew I would definitely get the job, and the job I was at before, for 4 years, my friend’s father interviewed me and I already knew I’d get the job. So my cv hasn’t been modified or updated since 2015. Any tips?

I politely and professionally spoke up at work and I feel as though a weight has been lifted. My boss is fantastic, but (toxic) supervisor not so. I set some clear boundaries in a carefully thought out way that leaves little room to continue to be taken advantage of. An email that includes all the right people without acting like I'm taking issue with an individual. Definitely felt like I was dropping some bombs but in a way that there’s no room for comeback. So satisfying! But I had also reached a point of ‘I’m going to set my boundaries and let the chips fall where they may’. If I ended up looking for another job then I was at a point that i was prepared to do that for my mental health. Someone has obviously been feeling uncomfortable since I’ve passively aggressively outed them. Kind regards! The war isn’t over but for now, the battle is won.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve finally got round to looking at my cv today. Reading it and looking at it, it’s so crap. I was lucky in my current job, I knew who was interviewing me and knew I would definitely get the job, and the job I was at before, for 4 years, my friend’s father interviewed me and I already knew I’d get the job. So my cv hasn’t been modified or updated since 2015. Any /QUOTE]

I didn't have one at all as I've been in the same company from.school.for over 20 years, so I paid to have mine written. It was 140 quid. But they will talk you through your skills and word it that passes the AI checks. This was very recently so I can't give you feedback yet!
I’ve finally got round to looking at my cv today. Reading it and looking at it, it’s so crap. I was lucky in my current job, I knew who was interviewing me and knew I would definitely get the job, and the job I was at before, for 4 years, my friend’s father interviewed me and I already knew I’d get the job. So my cv hasn’t been modified or updated since 2015. Any tips?
I didn't have one at all as I've been in the same company from.school.for over 20 years, so I paid to have mine written. It was 140 quid. But they will talk you through your skills and word it that passes the AI checks. This was very recently so I can't give you feedback yet!

Reactions: 1
I did think about that. How did you know who to use? I had a look at mine again yesterday and it just seemed so flat.

I've used two , the first one turned out to be lacking in quality, I made the mistake of accepting it without taking advantage of redraft. This company felt a little like a conveyor belt where as they don't want to spend too much time on you.

A few months later I had this cv reviewed for free by 2 companies offering that service

Top cv was one that or the one I used for the second one was called professional cv writing.

Give that a try as you already have one, it wont cost you anything!!

I've used two , the first one turned out to be lacking in quality, I made the mistake of accepting it without taking advantage of redraft. This company felt a little like a conveyor belt where as they don't want to spend too much time on you.

A few months later I had this cv reviewed for free by 2 companies offering that service

Top cv was one that or the one I used for the second one was called professional cv writing.

Give that a try as you already have one, it wont cost you anything!!
Thank you. Much appreciated!

Look online at examples. Then use a template on word and gradually start working on it. I recently graduated from college and a careers advisor created my CV for me. Sell yourself and present your strengths. I have a cover letter (again google examples.) which I use as a template. Just edit the cover letter and CV slightly for each job you are applying for the match the job description they post.

Normally my CVs vary according to the role. I come up with a good one as a starting point every few years but every job app I end up changing it, either a bit or a a lot depending on the job I’m applying for

Look at the job dec/person spec of the job you’re applying to and think about whether anything you’ve done is the same. Look back to the things you’ve done in your current/most recent workplace - even going through emails if you still have access can be helpful - and make a list of the things you did every day/the big achievements. If you’re stuck, think of voluntary experience or even childcare etc.. I try to keep notes of what I’ve done so I can just look back over them. It can help to talk it through with someone

They want a clear match so prioritise skills they’re asking for in the person spec/exp that matches the job description. Use STAR where you can (Situation; Task; Action; Response). Try to have a couple examples per point. Bullet points are fine. There are lots of good examples of STAR online. It makes a lot of difference

Hopefully this is the place I can vent.

I'd love my job if only they spent some time with me training me up. They knew at the interview it was a new role for me and promised a good training schedule.

I'm very new to my role but they have pretty much just left me to it to figure it all out and have put enormous pressure on me because they expect me to get it done. I've asked so many questions and most of the time get brief answers that aren't helpful or get ignored.

I've begged for training and they don't give it to me. Then whisper behind my back that I am going to them when I shouldn't be and that I am not getting things done.

Honestly, if they had told me the training (or lack of) was going to be like this I would have really considered accepting the job. Now all I do is cry everyday trying to get stuff done with no help or support and them thinking behind my back that I am incompetent.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think it depends what roles you are going for and in what sector. Higher operational roles really require a brief outline of your achievements and abilities but a lot will be assumed given that you’re applying for a senior role.

Even for mid management or admin roles my advice would be not to waffle. I am part of the onboarding process in my role and as soon as I see a CV full of waffle I dismiss it. Short and to the point is best. A really good thing I like to see on a CV is when they state what they; as an individual like in a role and a workplace culture. I.E if you want a travel based role, say it. If you want to WFH, say it. If you like to be left alone to do your job without Sandra asking what you go up to on the weekend, say it. Back up why your preferred method of working would be beneficial for you and their business.

Moving forward, you really get to properly sell yourself at interview stage. Be personable, but most importantly be yourself. Never, ever say what you *think* they want to hear if you don’t believe it, or you don’t work that way.

Most importantly, make sure that the company treats its employees well, ask about company benefits, company culture, ask if you can meet the team you’ll be working with so you can gauge whether you feel you would be a good fit, could manage them, could even manage to say hello to of a morning etc 🤣

I like my job but there is a pressure to run errands and do ‘whatever it takes’ to keep things running and show your commitment. I don’t want to do anything outside of the office- I commute for an hour each way and the thought of getting all that way to work to have to go back out doing basic tit pisses me off. I have my ergonomic chair and tit to do so leave me in peace. Now there’s a looming presence of volunteering unpaid time for a weekend, travelling to a different area to help with a start up. I’m a flipping admin for gods sake, mon- fri 9-5. I’m gonna run out of excuses at this point. With every excuse you make/ boundaries you put up, you run the risk of tipping the balance into them being offended by your ‘lack of commitment’. No actually I’m just tired and not paid enough for this tit.

Reactions: 6
I like my job but there is a pressure to run errands and do ‘whatever it takes’ to keep things running and show your commitment. I don’t want to do anything outside of the office- I commute for an hour each way and the thought of getting all that way to work to have to go back out doing basic tit pisses me off. I have my ergonomic chair and tit to do so leave me in peace. Now there’s a looming presence of volunteering unpaid time for a weekend, travelling to a different area to help with a start up. I’m a flipping admin for gods sake, mon- fri 9-5. I’m gonna run out of excuses at this point. With every excuse you make/ boundaries you put up, you run the risk of tipping the balance into them being offended by your ‘lack of commitment’. No actually I’m just tired and not paid enough for this tit.
Stick to your guns. If they want you to do more they can pay you more! Cheeky sods for relying on free labour

Reactions: 5
Stick to your guns. If they want you to do more they can pay you more! Cheeky sods for relying on free labour
This is exactly it. They rely on free labour and seem to have this expectation that people want to use their cars/ petrol and personal time.

I think it depends what roles you are going for and in what sector. Higher operational roles really require a brief outline of your achievements and abilities but a lot will be assumed given that you’re applying for a senior role.

Even for mid management or admin roles my advice would be not to waffle. I am part of the onboarding process in my role and as soon as I see a CV full of waffle I dismiss it. Short and to the point is best. A really good thing I like to see on a CV is when they state what they; as an individual like in a role and a workplace culture. I.E if you want a travel based role, say it. If you want to WFH, say it. If you like to be left alone to do your job without Sandra asking what you go up to on the weekend, say it. Back up why your preferred method of working would be beneficial for you and their business.

Moving forward, you really get to properly sell yourself at interview stage. Be personable, but most importantly be yourself. Never, ever say what you *think* they want to hear if you don’t believe it, or you don’t work that way.

Most importantly, make sure that the company treats its employees well, ask about company benefits, company culture, ask if you can meet the team you’ll be working with so you can gauge whether you feel you would be a good fit, could manage them, could even manage to say hello to of a morning etc 🤣
Thank you 😊 I would like a job where you work from home, or even 3 days at home and 2 in the office. How would I put that across? The only time I worked from home was during the first lockdown and that lasted a couple of weeks before I got made redundant 🤣 🤦🏼‍♀️

Thank you 😊 I would like a job where you work from home, or even 3 days at home and 2 in the office. How would I put that across? The only time I worked from home was during the first lockdown and that lasted a couple of weeks before I got made redundant 🤣 🤦🏼‍♀️
It’s great that you know what you want 🙌🏼, so to put it across to the employer I’d think about what motivates you to want to WFH? What has lead you to to decide on 3 days at home and 2 in the office? How would that benefit the company? Why is it important to you to have these hours? How do you plan to prove yourself whilst WFH? Have you considered how you might be trained whilst WFH? All these questions might come up in interview as well so think carefully about them and don’t be afraid to be honest! If you want more time with your children for example, then that’s perfectly acceptable to say!

I think one of the best ways to get it across is by explaining how it benefits the employer more than you. Are there any tangible results you can think of where WFH proved better than the office?

I used to be on this thread end of 2022, I had a boss who pretty much hated me and made my life hell. I resigned with no job to go to, which obviously was a big decision. I have struggled through the past few months, working freelance to earn enough to at least eat.

I just wanted to come back and say that I thought the future looked bleak back in December and in the first month of 2023. I was struggling to see through the 'fog' and thought I had fucked up any chance of a career but last week I was offered a job with a competitor company, on a higher salary and in a company which has a much bigger scope for promotion..

I hope my ex-boss is silently seething LOL 😅

(This post isn't honestly meant for bragging or anything, just wanted to write it down in case anyone else is in the same position as I was!)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.