Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What's the reason for the in office days?
I'm on a similar schedule, but the team is either all at home or all in - to encourage in person communication, space for meetings and team work ext.
If you can do your job from home and your colleagues are working from home - I don't know the benefit of your manager having you in? Especially if it's having a detrimental effect on your work and mental health.
I'm really not sure why we're expected to attend the office. There's nothing we do here that can't be done from home. I requested additional days at home when the office reopened after Covid, but they were denied. I think because it's a short week it's just unfortunate that they've all picked today as a WFH day and I haven't, as this hasn't happened before.

Reactions: 2
We work two days at home and three in the office. We were told it is so that we can ‘collaborate and work together as a team’ even though hot desking means that I rarely get to sit with my team and there isn’t one day of the week that every team member is in. But I am civil service and we have been vilified in the media and by the public for working from home. I earn just above the minimum wage, but have to pay to commute into the city. 😐 Box ticking.

Reactions: 4
I’ve received my offer letter today via email. They told me not to hand in my resignation until I have received it off them.
I looked at the start date and it’s 2nd may which would be 4 weeks if I had been told to hand in my notice yesterday, but I didn’t. It will be tomorrow now meaning my last day at my current place would be Thursday 4th may and I assume I would start on Tuesday 9th after the bank holiday. I text the person who interviewed me at 1.30 today about it and I’ve tried calling her this evening and her phone is off.
i don’t know what date to use on my resignation… which I want to hand in tomorrow. I’ve never been given a contract, but the right thing to do it give 4 weeks notice (don’t want to burn my bridges) 🤯🤯 I thought if I hand in my notice tomorrow, it’s then 4 days off work and the dust will have settled on Tuesday.
I don’t have enough annual leave left to tell my current job that my last day is 4th may but I want to take 2nd, 3rd and 4th may as holiday. (So I can start the new one on the 2nd)

I’ve received my offer letter today via email. They told me not to hand in my resignation until I have received it off them.
I looked at the start date and it’s 2nd may which would be 4 weeks if I had been told to hand in my notice yesterday, but I didn’t. It will be tomorrow now meaning my last day at my current place would be Thursday 4th may and I assume I would start on Tuesday 9th after the bank holiday. I text the person who interviewed me at 1.30 today about it and I’ve tried calling her this evening and her phone is off.
i don’t know what date to use on my resignation… which I want to hand in tomorrow. I’ve never been given a contract, but the right thing to do it give 4 weeks notice (don’t want to burn my bridges) 🤯🤯 I thought if I hand in my notice tomorrow, it’s then 4 days off work and the dust will have settled on Tuesday.
I don’t have enough annual leave left to tell my current job that my last day is 4th may but I want to take 2nd, 3rd and 4th may as holiday. (So I can start the new one on the 2nd)
Congrats!!

Sounds like the new place have delayed your notice period by only getting that document to you today. In that case they should be reasonable about amending the start date to accommodate that, try not to worry and give them a call when you can.

Reactions: 5
Hi! need some advice regarding work.
Currently transitioning between two barista jobs - sent in my resignation yesterday for my current job - gave my two weeks notice however today i just walked out mid shift, after being told to take up a station i physically struggle to do, even though i told my manager this and that my coworker would be happy to swap with me. Will there be any legal issues or anything if i just ghost because im so done with that place and i start my new (aCTUALLY FAIRLY COMPENSATED) job next week

Hi! need some advice regarding work.
Currently transitioning between two barista jobs - sent in my resignation yesterday for my current job - gave my two weeks notice however today i just walked out mid shift, after being told to take up a station i physically struggle to do, even though i told my manager this and that my coworker would be happy to swap with me. Will there be any legal issues or anything if i just ghost because im so done with that place and i start my new (aCTUALLY FAIRLY COMPENSATED) job next week
They can't force you to work, and there is no legal recourse for them. They'll pay as little on your last wage as they can get away with, but otherwise you should be fine.

Where are you based? UK? US?

They can't force you to work, and there is no legal recourse for them. They'll pay as little on your last wage as they can get away with, but otherwise you should be fine.

Where are you based? UK? US?
UK, I've got money saved thankfully so i should be good. Thanks for replying this is the first time I've done something like this and I'm kinda freaked out lol

UK, I've got money saved thankfully so i should be good. Thanks for replying this is the first time I've done something like this and I'm kinda freaked out lol
Don't worry love. I once walked out on a job at Poundland, and exactly nothing happened.

Especially since you have some savings and another job in the bag already, so you're safe in that regard too. I'm sure the forcing you to work a station that you were unable to handle physically is just the tip of the iceberg, no? Enjoy your time off and get some rest! Hugs to you and onwards and upwards!

• Heart
I know things will probably vary with organisations but what is the general rule around handing in your notice in hybrid working/office type role? I left my previous role during COVID so everything was remote and i let my manager know in a KIT call, then followed up via email. However in my current role i'm split between home and office, and dont have frequent 1:1s with manager, do i need to wait until 1:1 to bring it up then follow up with general email saying last working day etc?

I know things will probably vary with organisations but what is the general rule around handing in your notice in hybrid working/office type role? I left my previous role during COVID so everything was remote and i let my manager know in a KIT call, then followed up via email. However in my current role i'm split between home and office, and dont have frequent 1:1s with manager, do i need to wait until 1:1 to bring it up then follow up with general email saying last working day etc?
Depending on your manager's availability and/or your working relationship, I might phone first before emailing my notice. Otherwise, just email it right away, I wouldn't wait.

I absolutely loved my job until my lovely boss left. I can't think of any better way to describe the new one than 'head'. How long would you give a bad work situation to improve before you cut your losses and move on?

I absolutely loved my job until my lovely boss left. I can't think of any better way to describe the new one than 'head'. How long would you give a bad work situation to improve before you cut your losses and move on?

I think I'd give it six months, especially as you seem to have been at your place for a while and know that it was different before and you can pinpoint exactly what changed negatively.

I think it depends what made you love the job in the first place, was it the people and your old boss or the actual role and work you do day in day out. If its the role and other staff are generally supportive and friendly bunch, maybe give it time and see how things pan out. If its a case of the old boss made the job enjoyable. I'd begin to start looking at other opportunities, getting your CV up to date and just seeing what's out there. Depending on what industry your in, it might take a while to find something new, during the application process it might either confirm your ready to move on or make you realise things aren't that unbearable where you are. But equally if things are bad and they may only get worse by the new boss, its easier to have options and start looking sooner rather then leaving it until its absolutely unbearable and literally taking anything because your desperate, then you may end up in equally unhappy role/similar boss.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think it depends what made you love the job in the first place, was it the people and your old boss or the actual role and work you do day in day out. If its the role and other staff are generally supportive and friendly bunch, maybe give it time and see how things pan out. If its a case of the old boss made the job enjoyable. I'd begin to start looking at other opportunities, getting your CV up to date and just seeing what's out there. Depending on what industry your in, it might take a while to find something new, during the application process it might either confirm your ready to move on or make you realise things aren't that unbearable where you are. But equally if things are bad and they may only get worse by the new boss, its easier to have options and start looking sooner rather then leaving it until its absolutely unbearable and literally taking anything because your desperate, then you may end up in equally unhappy role/similar boss.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Well, my actual role has changed considerably since my boss left. The other staff are supportive and friendly, or at least they were, everyone seems utterly fed up and the atmosphere really isn't very nice at the moment. I think I'll start looking for other opportunities as you suggest whilst I watch how things play out.

I've just realized ive wrongly assumed notice period was 4 weeks, when its actually states 1 month in contract. Should i try and negotiate with current employer to end notice period a few days earlier then required, (Give notice on 17th April to official leave on 12th May) or do i need to go back to new employer and try and rearrange later start date? I think i should still have some leave allowance?

I've just realized ive wrongly assumed notice period was 4 weeks, when its actually states 1 month in contract. Should i try and negotiate with current employer to end notice period a few days earlier then required, (Give notice on 17th April to official leave on 12th May) or do i need to go back to new employer and try and rearrange later start date? I think i should still have some leave allowance?
Some employers will let you take leave allowance to shorten notice period, but probably depends on industry and employer

Reactions: 1
I hope that's the case but i'm not sure how best to play it. Ideally I would like to have the email notice as a draft ready to send straight to manager following the meeting. Is it best to discuss with them in the meeting to negotiate a shorter leave period

Came home from work and cried my eyes out. I was in a meeting and I had misunderstood a problem; I like to try and speak up ( I'm shy and not confident, so I think it's good for me to try) and I'd questioned if the problem was a result of something else, but it turned out to not be the case. I'm junior and one of the senior men looked and spoke to me with such impatience and like I was so stupid, in front of my other colleagues as well as a client who was on the call. He's known to be blunt and direct with everyone, and this is the first time I've been on the receiving end. He made a rude remark too, so I can't fully let it go as a case of him just being overly direct. I made light of it at the time "ah sorry, yes of course, don't mind me!" just to try and salvage some pride in front of everyone, but I was absolutely furious inside. Annoyed at myself for not realising the problem, wishing I'd just kept quiet, but so angry at being spoken to like that in front of everyone - I feel like I looked stupid in front of everyone, that they'll think I'm stupid and I'm really embarrassed by it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Came home from work and cried my eyes out. I was in a meeting and I had misunderstood a problem; I like to try and speak up ( I'm shy and not confident, so I think it's good for me to try) and I'd questioned if the problem was a result of something else, but it turned out to not be the case. I'm junior and one of the senior men looked and spoke to me with such impatience and like I was so stupid, in front of my other colleagues as well as a client who was on the call. He's known to be blunt and direct with everyone, and this is the first time I've been on the receiving end. He made a rude remark too, so I can't fully let it go as a case of him just being overly direct. I made light of it at the time "ah sorry, yes of course, don't mind me!" just to try and salvage some pride in front of everyone, but I was absolutely furious inside. Annoyed at myself for not realising the problem, wishing I'd just kept quiet, but so angry at being spoken to like that in front of everyone - I feel like I looked stupid in front of everyone, that they'll think I'm stupid and I'm really embarrassed by it all.
He sounds an arrogant, rude person, I guarantee everyone in the meeting was similarly judging him.
Let any embarrassment go, if you can. Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question (not that your question was stupid!), just stupid answers. Which he delivered.
Hope you're doing OK

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Oh dear, I’m so sorry he was so rude to you! You put yourself out of your comfort zone and it seems like this person not only failed to realize that, but also generally seems to have lacking social skills.
You did well, don’t worry, your colleagues will have found him rude as well and will not think any less of you. It takes gut to speak up if shy, don’t let that bravery be taken from you.
And depending on how rude the remark was - do you need to speak to a manager or HR person? People like these will never stop, but they manage to make other people leave due to their rudeness.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.