Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you ❤ January is always a very busy month for me (tax return deadline!) and I’ve had bad januarys at my old firm but this place was something else. Plus I just don’t work well at home and have lots going on outside of work so it’s just been a disaster. I called in sick today and have a GP appt next week so hopefully can get signed off for a bit.
I hear you - get some time off and don't look back. And don't feel guilty about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I do like my job but we finally got nearly full staff (needed one more person for full staff). Now two people handed their notice in 😭. They are so slow at getting job adverts out, one handed their notice in a month ago and they still haven’t done it. I’ll probably end up staying late a lot until they find someone new, which is usually months later.
I’m also worried my best friend will apply which I really don’t want her to. She wouldn’t cope with the hours and would be off sick a lot which would make it worse. She’d probably ask me to recommend her but what would I say? She’s currently looking at similar jobs, with better hours for her, so I’m hoping she’ll get one before they put the advert out, that’s the only reason I’m happy they haven’t done it yet!

I do like my job but we finally got nearly full staff (needed one more person for full staff). Now two people handed their notice in 😭. They are so slow at getting job adverts out, one handed their notice in a month ago and they still haven’t done it. I’ll probably end up staying late a lot until they find someone new, which is usually months later.
I’m also worried my best friend will apply which I really don’t want her to. She wouldn’t cope with the hours and would be off sick a lot which would make it worse. She’d probably ask me to recommend her but what would I say? She’s currently looking at similar jobs, with better hours for her, so I’m hoping she’ll get one before they put the advert out, that’s the only reason I’m happy they haven’t done it yet!
Be honest with her - otherwise you might risk your friendship over the points you made and might resent her for calling in sick, etc. Tell her that the place is understaffed and even with her in, it would mean very long hours and overworking.

Reactions: 4
Be honest with her - otherwise you might risk your friendship over the points you made and might resent her for calling in sick, etc. Tell her that the place is understaffed and even with her in, it would mean very long hours and overworking.
I’m hoping it won’t come to anything and I hope she wouldn’t even want the job as I don’t think it’s hours she’ll want 🤞 I could also get money for referring someone for a job which I obviously want but I also don’t want to look bad for referring someone I don’t think will be reliable

Interviews - remember, it’s not just them interviewing you. It’s your opportunity to find out if they will be a good fit for you.

Employers - sadly, most of us are just numbers. If they had to get rid of people they would put a line through your name in the blink of an eye. Loyalty doesn’t exist anymore. So, take the same view as them. See work as a means to your end. Use them until they no longer suit.
I am in my 60s and I got a job at 60 after a long period of being in and out of temp jobs. I didn't like my boss she was like a spoilt brat. She was also v ageist and more or less hinted that no way that I would find another post as I was old. Last August at the grand age of 64 I started a new job on promotion ! I am getting more money a much nicer boss and have learnt loads of new technology since being there. Spoilt brat was in shock when I told her the news that I was moving onwards and upwards she had a bright red face for about an hour. He who laughs last.....😂

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I am in my 60s and I got a job at 60 after a long period of being in and out of temp jobs. I didn't like my boss she was like a spoilt brat. She was also v ageist and more or less hinted that no way that I would find another post as I was old. Last August at the grand age of 64 I started a new job on promotion ! I am getting more money a much nicer boss and have learnt loads of new technology since being there. Spoilt brat was in shock when I told her the news that I was moving onwards and upwards she had a bright red face for about an hour. He who laughs last.....😂
Wow - this resonates with me. I’m 64 and despise teaching. Any other career ideas?

I really should learn to not check Slack while I'm off. I'm off today and risked a peak and of course, now I'm upset: I've been trying to get attention to a topic for several weeks now, even wrote up a solution for it, and also worked with other teams on a more permanent solution to fix things or their side. No attention. But of course, the day I'm off it's URGENT, ALL THE MEETINGS for it.
This has happened a couple of times to me and I wonder why. I work in Tech, a male-dominated industry. I typically don't raise a fuss if it's not urgent, as I always say that it's tech and not a hospital, nobody is dying. But apparently, males screaming is what does get attention. Even though still nobody is dying.

I guess I'll bring it up with my (female) manager tomorrow, just to talk it over. It really upsets me.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@Some People! similar situation except it’s my bosses daughter. Sits on her phone all day, not proactive. Won’t even answer the phone, can’t compose emails without my help (she’s 21!) Can’t tell my boss cos he’ll fly off the handle. We don’t have a HR department… It’s a family run business. 🤷🏼‍♀️
The waste of space is still here. She has spent the majority of today looking at houses and sending them to her boyfriend or reading the daily mail. I saw on the payroll reports today that her dad/the boss has given her a 1k pay rise this month. He authorised this while he was he took her out for lunch today!!
Edit. I know 1k isn’t huge, but she does sweet fa every day and is paid more than she deserves anyway.

• Wow
I vented some of my grievances to my leadership today and was happy to find that they support me and try to make it work. But was did make my day was my partner 🤪 I really was just bitching about my day and how I find some things really difficult - I know it's not fair on him really, but I needed to get it out and he knew I needed a sounding board. He listened and freely acknowledged that some of the things I see right now are what he termed as "men trying to piss farther than the others" and that I wouldn't have some problems if I was male 🤮

I work in one of those seemingly woke Tech companies. I worked in another one before that had a lot of problems but this wasn't one of them. People were just people who worked there and if you were hired, it was assumed that it was because you could do the job and not because they needed someone to look pretty in the front row.

I started a new job a few weeks ago and I honestly don’t know how I feel about the culture. I’m trying to tell myself it’s a great team with nice people and high standards, but something feels off.

I was hired with no direct experience in this type of role but transferable skills & knowledge. I received no training and was thrown into my first project with little to no guidance.

A few weeks later, I’m being asked to support on a process related project. They’re looking to revamp processes to give more guidance to people. How can I support revamping a process guidance document with little to no knowledge on the process?

I was told there’s a “learning curve” but what I’ve noticed is there are other people in the team who were hired with no direct experience to the role and they were told the work wasn’t up to standard when these people started less than 6 months ago. Where is this so-called learning curve?

I’m honestly stressed out because it seems they expect you to be up to speed from day 1 with no training and if something is no up to standard, they’ll hold it against you instead of questioning their lack of training.

Last edited:
Used to love my job but hate it now. Looking to change asap but hard as been doing it for years

• Heart
What’s anyone’s thoughts on being made to use your car to run work-based errands without getting paid for petrol/ mileage.

The expectation is there that you are ‘doing for the team’. But I resent it. Petrol costs aside, I prefer to travel to and from the office and remain office-based during the day and not be out driving around, it stresses me out. I realise I now need to deal with this and put boundaries up with a toxic manager.

I’ve really never had an office job before where that was an expectation of admin workers so it’s honestly a bit of a surprise to me and was not in my job description.

What’s anyone’s thoughts on being made to use your car to run work-based errands without getting paid for petrol/ mileage.

The expectation is there that you are ‘doing for the team’. But I resent it. Petrol costs aside, I prefer to travel to and from the office and remain office-based during the day and not be out driving around, it stresses me out. I realise I now need to deal with this and put boundaries up with a toxic manager.

I’ve really never had an office job before where that was an expectation of admin workers so it’s honestly a bit of a surprise to me and was not in my job description.
If they insist you do this I would ask for the use of a business vehicle to run these errands or you will expect them to pay you approved mileage as per government guidelines

Reactions: 2
If they insist you do this I would ask for the use of a business vehicle to run these errands or you will expect them to pay you approved mileage as per government guidelines
It's not just that, you may not be covered if you have an accident while driving for business. It's worth checking your insurance policy.

Reactions: 5
A bit of a rant… my company developed a program that they were heavily emphasising would be beneficial for those who have joined in the last 18 months (they even name-checked us in the follow up email). I really didn’t want to do it, but felt it would look pretty bad to not apply, especially with them repeatedly saying about newer people applying (there were 7 spots and 9 of us new), so now I’m stuck in it and I don’t want to do it at all - and now it seems it’s not just a brief thing but it’s going to form part of our actual roles - I know it’s my own fault but still, I really wish I hadn’t put my name forward 😖😞

Last edited:
I’m honestly re-assessing my new role at the moment. There is so much micro-management.

I have daily calls with project managers to tell them where I’m at. Once I’m done, my work is reviewed by multiple people (which is fine) including a team whose job is to look for deficiencies and rip your work apart.

I submitted my first piece of work which happens to be on a complex project with no training whatsoever. I was thrown into it on day 3. I’m new to this type of role so I’m starting from scratch, so understandably, it’s not my best work.

Honestly, if it’s to do a job and be told by one layer of reviewers it’s never good enough, it can become a huge confidence destroyer. While you can learn a lot, I feel a bit set up for failure given I had no training.

I’m honestly re-assessing my new role at the moment. There is so much micro-management.

I have daily calls with project managers to tell them where I’m at. Once I’m done, my work is reviewed by multiple people (which is fine) including a team whose job is to look for deficiencies and rip your work apart.

I submitted my first piece of work which happens to be on a complex project with no training whatsoever. I was thrown into it on day 3. I’m new to this type of role so I’m starting from scratch, so understandably, it’s not my best work.

Honestly, if it’s to do a job and be told by one layer of reviewers it’s never good enough, it can become a huge confidence destroyer. While you can learn a lot, I feel a bit set up for failure given I had no training.
Is it usual in your new company to be thrown in the deep end with no training? If so, how did others cope (or not)? If not, why haven't they trained you? Have you spoken to your manager about this?

Is it usual in your new company to be thrown in the deep end with no training? If so, how did others cope (or not)? If not, why haven't they trained you? Have you spoken to your manager about this?
The others did not necessarily need training because they’ve worked this job their entire lives, so when they moved into this team, they didn’t need formal training. They just needed to know how the business works. For me, this job is a complete career shift.

I moved from an internal role where I had a lot of training to this one. My new manager said it’s better to “learn by doing” and it is a huge problem for me given the nature of our work. It’s being a bit set-up for failure given the first project I worked on from day 3 is the most complex they’ve had in a while.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.