Does anyone hate their job? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't hate my job but I can't find a relevant thread

I am applying for a higher role in my current job and they want me to do a presentation. I HATE giving presentations, it makes me super nervous. Any one have any advice for combatting the nerves? (I don't want to picture them naked)
Take a relaxant before the presentation.

---

I've been in my job since September.

The training is practically non existent. I've basically been told to pick it up as I go along. I've just been thrown in with the wolves.

Every second or third week I need to do 6 days because the week refreshes on a Sunday. I'm already on a 41hr contract over 5 days.

Nobody really speaks to me unless I've done something wrong. There's no kind of chit chat. I've never been in a place like this before. It's beyond odd. I only get spoken to if I've done something wrong,which is usually due to their lack of training.

Took three months of badgering to update contract. Never updated me as to whether my probation had finished or not either. I still don't know whether it was extended or not.

I can see why they've had 20+ employees leave in the last 18 months considering they only have about 30 staff at a time.
Sounds like ny dream job 😂 i absolutely hate making chit chat at work. I just want to get one with things

Reactions: 1
I don't hate my job but I can't find a relevant thread

I am applying for a higher role in my current job and they want me to do a presentation. I HATE giving presentations, it makes me super nervous. Any one have any advice for combatting the nerves? (I don't want to picture them naked)
Is it in person or virtual? If virtual, do you have a second screen? I always have the zoom/teams call on my second screen and then my notes on my laptop where the webcam is - so you can sneakily use your notes to prompt you and the panel think you're looking at them.

The other thing I do if in person is write out a script of what I want to say and practice, practice, practice. Eventually you'll learn your script and it should hopefully be somehow ingrained into your memory.

Reactions: 2
Take a relaxant before the presentation.

---

Sounds like ny dream job 😂 i absolutely hate making chit chat at work. I just want to get one with things
It's not really about the chit chat. I mean like actually being acknowledged. Like I don't even get a hello back when I walk in the place.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I had a tit time over the last 6 months. I've had 5 line managers over 18 months, and when the 4th one left, everything went badly wrong. There was work left uncompleted, and I was being asked to do stuff that I had no training for. It nearly broke me

Now I have a brilliant new manager who in only 3 months makes me want to run through walls for her, and another lady has come back from maternity leave, so I have two senior people I can talk to now.

I had Friday off and on that Friday it was announced that she (who is my boss) had been appointed the new head of the department. On Monday the whole department was in for a meeting and The outgoing head forgot I didn't know and announced it to the whole office (including academics), and I could see that she was furious at the way it was handled. She immediately apologised to me, but I told her that these things happen and not to worry. She then told me that in the short to medium term, she will still be my line manager, and I was VERY relieved that I wouldn't be going under the previous manager again. Also, another lady in my department has come back from maternity leave and she is very approachable, so now I have two senior people that I can talk to.

I have got a bit cynical about what happened. The Head of my department left at a really bad time in September (very busy) because of 'a long-term health problem', but miraculously seems to have been cured and is now the Head of a very large department at another Uni!!!

This is just to say that sometimes things can get better.

Reactions: 3
My work environment used to be TOXIC until lockdown and we’ve remained WFH ever since which I’ve loved. The managers are very power hungry and arrogant and will patronise and demean you for sport (all women btw). We’ve recently had an archiving project and a few of us have had to go into the office 1 day a week to sort it out. Our new office is now basically closer to the moon than it is to all basic facilities including drinking water. The kitchens are minging and there’s always mould hanging out of the taps so no one drinks tap water there. I requested a water cooler for our office over a week ago, the response was to go to the nearest organisation sharing our building with our little paper cups, which is a 10 minute round trip with 4 locked/ keypad only fire doors, knock on their door (!!!!), wait for someone to answer and then “ask politely” (verbatim) if we can please have a drink of water. Not only would we have to do this multiple times a day… it’s degrading and mortifying. Yes I can buy a bottle of water and refill it but after 3 years at home, my first thought isn’t to stop off at the shop en route to work at 7am to prevent spitting feathers all day. And I shouldn’t really have to spend my own money on such a basic need. Am I being unreasonable?? Are the managers doing this for amusement?? Would you stoop this low akin to Oliver bloody Twist??! FYI… This is what working at the NHS looks like

• Wow
Reactions: 13
That sounds like a health hazard and not fit as a working environment! Can you file a complaint somewhere?

Reactions: 4
That sounds like a health hazard and not fit as a working environment! Can you file a complaint somewhere?
There is a “speak up” facility but once escalated the managers would be contacted and obviously they’ll know it was me

• Sad
Does anyone have any experience with redundancies/restructuring? My workplace has been making them the last few months in other areas and there’ve been more this week. It’s weird because people are just going and you don’t hear about it. They’re still recruiting so it’s due to a restructure. I’m a chronic over thinker and like to try and plan, but know these things are unfortunately common these days.

Does anyone have any experience with redundancies/restructuring? My workplace has been making them the last few months in other areas and there’ve been more this week. It’s weird because people are just going and you don’t hear about it. They’re still recruiting so it’s due to a restructure. I’m a chronic over thinker and like to try and plan, but know these things are unfortunately common these days.
Are you worried about losing your job? They normally do this when it’s a big business and they realise they are employing too many people

Are you worried about losing your job? They normally do this when it’s a big business and they realise they are employing too many people
I’ve just never encountered it in the workplace before and wondered what other people had experienced. They seem to be doing rounds of them but obviously hush hush as these things always put people on edge.

I’ve just never encountered it in the workplace before and wondered what other people had experienced. They seem to be doing rounds of them but obviously hush hush as these things always put people on edge.
Yes, so I’m assuming you work in a very big business with lots of different departments. The bad news is 99.99% they will be doing this to every single deparment. The good news is it takes time and can be literal a couple of years before they get round to your department.
On the plus side you can get a nice redundancy package but always push for a little more don’t just take what they offer. Also don’t take voluntary redundancy unless the money they offer is amazing.

Make sure if you are made redundant to immediately start looking for a job then that payout will feel like a little windfall

Last edited:
  • Heart
Yes, so I’m assuming you work in a very big business with lots of different departments. The bad news is 99.99% they will be doing this to every single deparment. The good news is it takes time and can be literal a couple of years before they get round to your department.
On the plus side you can get a nice redundancy package but always push for a little more don’t just take what they offer. Also don’t take voluntary redundancy unless the money they offer is amazing.

Make sure if you are made redundant to immediately start looking for a job then that pat out will feel like a little windfall
Thanks 😊 we’ve been restructured recently and told several times our jobs are not at risk but you’ve got to keep an eye on the market. I’ve done <2 years service and statutory redundancy notice is a week I believe? I don’t know why I’m doing so much research, maybe it’s this climate 👎🏻 but I cleared my debts so going to seriously save now so I have a cushion.

Thanks 😊 we’ve been restructured recently and told several times our jobs are not at risk but you’ve got to keep an eye on the market. I’ve done <2 years service and statutory redundancy notice is a week I believe? I don’t know why I’m doing so much research, maybe it’s this climate 👎🏻 but I cleared my debts so going to seriously save now so I have a cushion.
You sound eminently sensible. Good luck!

• Heart
Change is scary but ultimately they cannot get rid of everybody. I know this will be difficult but try not too worry about it until it happens to your department.

I dislike my job for a number of reasons and have managed to get a provisional offer for a new job, which i'm really excited about but the pre-employment checks and security clearance is predicted to take months, interviewed November and offered December, i've been told expect 12ish weeks for security clearance which hasnt even started yet.

I've just found out i've got an appraisal meeting next week with manager and managers manager, not sure why both need to be there, but i'm dreading it, as no doubt will get pulled up for been too quiet (i'm naturally introverted but work with all men with very sexist and political options, there is no way i'm willing to share my personal life around them) and i've no idea how to answer career goals, objectives questions.

• Heart
I’ve been making so many mistakes lately and it’s so bad 😩 Not just wee things but important things that could affect clients. Gads.

• Heart
I dislike my job for a number of reasons and have managed to get a provisional offer for a new job, which i'm really excited about but the pre-employment checks and security clearance is predicted to take months, interviewed November and offered December, i've been told expect 12ish weeks for security clearance which hasnt even started yet.

I've just found out i've got an appraisal meeting next week with manager and managers manager, not sure why both need to be there, but i'm dreading it, as no doubt will get pulled up for been too quiet (i'm naturally introverted but work with all men with very sexist and political options, there is no way i'm willing to share my personal life around them) and i've no idea how to answer career goals, objectives questions.
First of all, really good luck with the new role. I had a similar period of security clearance for a previous job and it seemed like it would take ages but honestly, the 12 weeks (if it takes that long) will fly by. You'll be fine, and well done for what I'm sure was a rigorous interview process!

As for the current job. I was having a conversation with some of the juniors at work recently. One of the senior team (female, old school, founder of the company) apparently had a go at one of the juniors for being too quiet. This junior is amazing - she is considered, gets on with her work, contributes really positively by being super diligent and she's also very well liked by her peers. Contrast this with another junior who has just been promoted for essentially being a sneaky cow willing to step on everyone to get ahead and who sucks up to the right people - her peers dislike her. I know who I'd rather work with. Don't let anyone you don't respect (or indeed anyone period) tell you who to be. Be yourself.
---

I’ve been making so many mistakes lately and it’s so bad 😩 Not just wee things but important things that could affect clients. Gads.
Don't be hard on yourself. Happens to us all. I was the same and got signed off with stress recently. Have you been under pressure?

• Heart
First of all, really good luck with the new role. I had a similar period of security clearance for a previous job and it seemed like it would take ages but honestly, the 12 weeks (if it takes that long) will fly by. You'll be fine, and well done for what I'm sure was a rigorous interview process!

As for the current job. I was having a conversation with some of the juniors at work recently. One of the senior team (female, old school, founder of the company) apparently had a go at one of the juniors for being too quiet. This junior is amazing - she is considered, gets on with her work, contributes really positively by being super diligent and she's also very well liked by her peers. Contrast this with another junior who has just been promoted for essentially being a sneaky cow willing to step on everyone to get ahead and who sucks up to the right people - her peers dislike her. I know who I'd rather work with. Don't let anyone you don't respect (or indeed anyone period) tell you who to be. Be yourself.
---

Don't be hard on yourself. Happens to us all. I was the same and got signed off with stress recently. Have you been under pressure?
Thank you ❤ January is always a very busy month for me (tax return deadline!) and I’ve had bad januarys at my old firm but this place was something else. Plus I just don’t work well at home and have lots going on outside of work so it’s just been a disaster. I called in sick today and have a GP appt next week so hopefully can get signed off for a bit.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.