Doctor Who

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I liked that episode (y) it had some action, humour, suspense, a scary villian, mysteries, potential end of the world - that's what Doctor Who should be about. Looking forward to next week's episode for the first time in ages. Good to see some old faces too 😀

Who do we think is Ruby's mum then?
I find myself not caring at this point. I think she might turn out to be a demi god but whatever 🫠
I wish someone would explain how Ruby keeps embracing being from Manchester when she's apparently lived in London all her life. It's the biggest mystery in the show for me 😁

I couldn't believe how ridiculous the whole Unit scenario was. They used to be an intelligent military style task force but now they just have a room of people who tick diversity boxes and were all completely unconvincing.

But as you say at least we have a proper threat at last. I also liked Mel telling the doctor to get it together and man up 😄

Reactions: 4
Yes this is winding us up too!
It reminds me of something Maxine Peake said that Victoria Wood told her when working on dinnerladies.

About already being Northern, you don't need to play it up and lean into it and over emphasise it. And that is all that is happening. RTD is making Ruby play up her Northernness, and it's jarring. Especially as OP says, the character lived in London all their life.

Reactions: 5
I hated this latest episode. It was an absolute mess, so cluttered and barely coherent. Worse of all, so dragged out purely to make a two parter for the sake of it.

Kids working at Unit? Yes, Doctor Who is a ridiculous show but that is a stretch too far for me. I also feel bad for this but I could barely understand Lenny Rush. It was nice to see Rose Noble again but I wish it had been in a less unbelievable context.

And while I've watched some classic era DW, I've not seen a lot of it so all that hype on the big reveal at the end was totally lost on me personally. Though I did last night check out Pryamids of Mars on iPlayer when I couldn't sleep and enjoyed it - way, way more than I cared for anything in TLORS.

What a shame as apart from Space Babies, I've otherwise enjoyed this series of the show for what it is and now I think all the good is going to be pissed away because RTD still cannot write endings. Always an issue I had with him as a showrunner.

Reactions: 1
RTD still cannot write endings
He really does struggle doesn't he, we comment on this alot, he has a lot of interesting ideas but the endings are always rushed, half baked and messy. I don't think he's a completer-finisher, he's the ideas man

I hated this latest episode. It was an absolute mess, so cluttered and barely coherent. Worse of all, so dragged out purely to make a two parter for the sake of it.

Kids working at Unit? Yes, Doctor Who is a ridiculous show but that is a stretch too far for me. I also feel bad for this but I could barely understand Lenny Rush. It was nice to see Rose Noble again but I wish it had been in a less unbelievable context.

And while I've watched some classic era DW, I've not seen a lot of it so all that hype on the big reveal at the end was totally lost on me personally. Though I did last night check out Pryamids of Mars on iPlayer when I couldn't sleep and enjoyed it - way, way more than I cared for anything in TLORS.

What a shame as apart from Space Babies, I've otherwise enjoyed this series of the show for what it is and now I think all the good is going to be pissed away because RTD still cannot write endings. Always an issue I had with him as a showrunner.
For a series that was supposed to be a soft reboot, having a monster from many, many years ago most fans, even classic doctor who viewers probably can't even remember was stupid. Because nobody knows who the villain is generally speaking. I've watched Pyramids of Mars and even I wasn't 100% remembering Sutekh well.

For a series that was supposed to be a soft reboot, having a monster from many, many years ago most fans, even classic doctor who viewers probably can't even remember was stupid. Because nobody knows who the villain is generally speaking. I've watched Pyramids of Mars and even I wasn't 100% remembering Sutekh well.
There's been too many references to the past, I do wish it had been the soft reboot we were promised because it would have certainly been done better than the attempt at a soft reboot Chibnall's era was. It seems RTD is too much of a fanboy and can't help himself with the constant references but at this point, for me, it just makes the show feel bogged down and tired.

Ncuti's kept me watching, he's so good. I like Millie when she's given some grit to work with, she was amazing in 73 Yards.

I'll tune in for the finale but I've got very low expectations now. What will be interesting is where the show goes from there. I believe season 2 is officially happening?

One thing I'll say about RTD is at least you can tell he cares about the show. With Chibnall I felt he just didn't give a tit.

The kids working at UNIT was ridiculous. You can’t employ a 13 year old, however much of a genius he is!

I couldn't think of a plausible reason for Donna's daughter to be there either, although my daughter tells me that she has some special powers due to Donna absorbing the Tardis. I can't say they were evident though 😄

I know the writers want to appeal to a younger market now - kids and young adults but they do risk losing their older fan base so I'm not sure if it's entirely wise for RTD to go down that route.

As far as I'm concerned the series is watchable but rather dumbed down and patchy. Ncuti is OK when he's not acting like a teenager.

Will Ruby say whatever she said to everyone in '73 yards' to get the new villain to run away screaming 😄

Reactions: 2
I wish someone would explain how Ruby keeps embracing being from Manchester when she's apparently lived in London all her life. It's the biggest mystery in the show for me 😁
I just re-watched the Christmas special, and in it, she explains that she and Carla moved from Manchester to London when she was doing her A levels to take care of Cherry. She talks about the move being tricky and expensive, and messing up her A level results. So apparently Ruby Road is somewhere in the Manchester area, not London at all.

• Wow
I think I'm echoing what everyone else has said but there are absolute signs of promise here. I can see RTD loves DW. I love Ncuti and the girl that plays Ruby is a great mix of Rose\Clara. It way better than the Chibnal era.

However:

I hated the musical episode (what a waste of The Beatles) and I found Jinx Monsoon not scary.
Space Babies was shite. The worst one since Robot of Sherwood.

But from then on I have really really enjoyed it. I thought that last episode was terrifying. The increasing terror and peril at the end and the wham! its finished left me wanting more!
---
I just re-watched the Christmas special, and in it, she explains that she and Carla moved from Manchester to London when she was doing her A levels to take care of Cherry. She talks about the move being tricky and expensive, and messing up her A level results. So apparently Ruby Road is somewhere in the Manchester area, not London at all.
Oh that made sense! as in she liked that guard who was from Manny too!

Me and my boy discussing what might happen on Saturday, husband walks in "the snowflakes will save the world, the snow that falls around ruby will kill the sutekh, it's RTW having a wink about 'snowflakes'" and now he's said it it's obvious surely?!?!

• Wow
Me and my boy discussing what might happen on Saturday, husband walks in "the snowflakes will save the world, the snow that falls around ruby will kill the sutekh, it's RTW having a wink about 'snowflakes'" and now he's said it it's obvious surely?!?!
Oh duck, that's exactly what's gonna happen isn't it.

If that is the case then it will show nothing has really changed and thay agenda and message is priority over just good storytelling

RTD also seems to clumsily shoehorn LGBT themes in in an over compensatory way.

We have had the Christmas special where someone (a trans actor) was saved by being non-binary, and a monster who didn't use human pronouns.

Babies was about refugees then the Beatles one we again had a monster who made a point of saying they were a 'they' then mention of a Mum with an ex girlfriend and a main character who writes sad songs for lesbians.

Dot and Bubble was about racism. I think it was done very well actually. I hated Lindy and her crew by the end of it.

The inclusion of LGBT\minority storylines shouldn't be controversial, but they should also be normal, mundane, pedestrian like LGBT people are in real life. He seems unable to effect subtlety in his writing. And it's jarring and the heavy handedness definitely takes you out of the action when you

Reactions: 9
RTD also seems to clumsily shoehorn LGBT themes in in an over compensatory way.

We have had the Christmas special where someone (a trans actor) was saved by being non-binary, and a monster who didn't use human pronouns.

Babies was about refugees then the Beatles one we again had a monster who made a point of saying they were a 'they' then mention of a Mum with an ex girlfriend and a main character who writes sad songs for lesbians.

Dot and Bubble was about racism. I think it was done very well actually. I hated Lindy and her crew by the end of it.

The inclusion of LGBT\minority storylines shouldn't be controversial, but they should also be normal, mundane, pedestrian like LGBT people are in real life. He seems unable to effect subtlety in his writing. And it's jarring and the heavy handedness definitely takes you out of the action when you
I agree, he has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Doctor Who has always been inclusive, but it was done naturally so it just merged into the natural storytelling. It isn't natural now. The racism story was the best of them in terms of how natural it felt to the storyline.

I agree, he has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Doctor Who has always been inclusive, but it was done naturally so it just merged into the natural storytelling. It isn't natural now. The racism story was the best of them in terms of how natural it felt to the storyline.
It does feel that he's planned the entire season round social justice themes and then shoved an alien into it the few minutes remaining of each episode.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
It does feel that he's planned the entire season round social justice themes and then shoved an alien into it the few minutes remaining of each episode.
Which was the problem with the previous seasons, so we've got nowhere 😆

Reactions: 3
Where's the creativity that came up with the angels
Even Moffat's episode this season wasn't his best work.

The Angels, the gas mask zombies, the clockwork robots, the vashda narada, so many good monsters/villains from his mind. Ones That are genuinely terrifying.

For years I could never rewatch The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances when I was young because they creeped me out so much.

Reactions: 7