Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just been listening to a great audiobook (on the Libby app for £0!) called The Year of Less by Cait Flanders.

Highly recommend as she talks about the emotional experience of spending and how she reduced it hugely as an experiment for a year.

Let me know if anyone else here finds it helpful?!

I resisted some new headphones and a massage gun this week, tbh though it was probably just decision fatigue that stopped me purchasing as I do “need” them (could obviously live without but…).

Im going to a friends birthday drinks tonight but will be sticking to soda and lime as I’m nearing my first year alcohol-free. Much of the thousands of pounds my partner and I saved has been spent on treats which I don’t regret but I’d like to save the money in the coming 12 months instead. 💰

Reactions: 9
Really am enjoying this threat and seeing everyone’s progress 🙂

I am doing well so far..

Did a big shop a week ago Monday and have stuck to using that food at home. No takeways, which is my downfall. I planned to spend just on my bills, petrol and i needed some new make up to replace what had run out so that is allowed 😅

Although last week I was off so work so Tuesday I went to the cinema spent some money on tickets and a McDonald’s treat afterwards. And Tuesday this week spent a little on costa coffee at work (which before starting no spend January would get 1/2 per day) bur i am allowing myself 1 treat day a month, pub, meal or cinema etc

all in all ive spent way less than a normal month and im really not bothered by it tbh - big help has been taking apple pay off so you are not just tapping for no reason. Before id just tap all the time on rubbish and have nothing to show for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
big help has been taking apple pay off so you are not just tapping for no reason. Before id just tap all the time on rubbish and have nothing to show for it.
Oooh I might try this! I love Apple Pay and it's made life a lot easier but I think if I had to physically find my card and get it out to pay, I may think more about the purchase. Or to enter my card details when ordering online rather than double clicking the side button. But in general, the start of this year has really made me think about how much unnecessary spending I was doing. I've been in my new job 3 weeks now, and only this morning did I stop off for a coffee and pastry when ordinarily I'd have done that every other day! It felt more of a Friday treat :)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve just been listening to a great audiobook (on the Libby app for £0!) called The Year of Less by Cait Flanders.

Highly recommend as she talks about the emotional experience of spending and how she reduced it hugely as an experiment for a year.
I've read this and used to follow her blog, really interesting and enjoyable

Reactions: 3
Oooh I might try this! I love Apple Pay and it's made life a lot easier but I think if I had to physically find my card and get it out to pay, I may think more about the purchase. Or to enter my card details when ordering online rather than double clicking the side button. But in general, the start of this year has really made me think about how much unnecessary spending I was doing. I've been in my new job 3 weeks now, and only this morning did I stop off for a coffee and pastry when ordinarily I'd have done that every other day! It felt more of a Friday treat :)
This 10000%
When I’m at work (which is a supermarket aha) I leave my bag in the car with my purse in so it’s more of an effort to get out and get it, especially in these Baltic conditions 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Was going through my bag and just remembered a little tip that might be helpful - Whenever I want a new beauty product I always try and get samples of it, e.g I have been wanting to try the Kiehls SPF gel but didn't want to commit to buying the full size. Went into Boots and got 3 sample sizes that have so far lasted me a couple of months! That saved me buying the full size product (for now), I know that the product works with my skin and if/when I choose to purchase the full size I know it won't be a waste. Brands can be stingy with samples but if you find a helpful sales assistant they usually won't mind. The sample sizes are perfect for travelling too

• Heart
Reactions: 13
“a year of less” is 78p on kindle today (first Amazon spend of 2024 😢) - not on Libby or borrowbox for me.

It’s a milestone birthday for me tomorrow and I’ve bought something special (to me) you can only get in America. Will take a while as it’s pre-order and will need to go via a forwarding service - but I’m so happy. This is 100% justifiable want rather than £x00s on vague crap.

In the name of “using tit up”, I’ve run out of my lovely vitamin D gummies and am on the previous packet of plain white tablets. I know it’s “only a tenner”, but I can push that back a month or two until I’ve finished the boring packet.

• Heart
@Kim Mild not perishable! I have the money to buy, but for me it’s not about money, but about hoarding things, I often find I have loads of the same thing and I need to learn not to get sucked into marketing and remember “I have loads of hair oils that I haven’t used up yet”

The item in question is my favourite lip balm. The crazy thing is, I have 3 backups. And it takes me about 6-8 months of daily use to get through it. But it’s on sale and for some reason I can’t stop thinking about it 🥲 that sounds sad lol
What is the actual reason you want to buy them on sale when you have 3 back ups waiting? I'm only basing this from coming across your posts on a few threads but I believe you can afford your shopping even when it's full price. You already have multiple back ups, so the reason can't really be an urgency or necessity. Why does having several back ups comfort you? Why is this taking up space in your thoughts to the point where you can't stop thinking about it?

There's always a deeper cause pushing us to buy and keep multiples and chase discounts but it can be different for everyone. (For example, I grew up without much money and when I could afford nice things with my own money, just being able to buy something without spending time on how it would wreck my budget was a great novelty. In time, the satisfaction of having something new took over the pleasure of being able to afford what I want.) Instead of distracting yourself from the motivation to shop, figuring it out and facing it might help more in the long run. Maybe mulling over the actual root of the compulsion will help you control the urge too. 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 13
“a year of less” is 78p on kindle today (first Amazon spend of 2024 😢) - not on Libby or borrowbox for me.

It’s a milestone birthday for me tomorrow and I’ve bought something special (to me) you can only get in America. Will take a while as it’s pre-order and will need to go via a forwarding service - but I’m so happy. This is 100% justifiable want rather than £x00s on vague crap.

In the name of “using tit up”, I’ve run out of my lovely vitamin D gummies and am on the previous packet of plain white tablets. I know it’s “only a tenner”, but I can push that back a month or two until I’ve finished the boring packet.
Happy birthday!! Well deserved treat.

I love the use up/push back on the “needs.” It’s so surprising how often you can find stuff which is absolutely fine for right now.

I have totted up what I have managed to overpay on various debts/mortgage etc, and it’s almost £1500 this pay period as I put a bonus towards treating myself to better financial health 😳 I prioritised that over saving.

I haven’t had a takeout all month, have emptied untold virtual trolleys, walked out of shops, meal planned and stuck to grocery budget. I have made 3 purchases, which are all second hand and total bargains, which has given me a lot of satisfaction as they were considered over about 3 weeks.

This weekend I’m going in for a clear out to list/donate/get rid.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I took a coat back today that I was ‘meh’ about and bought a pair of slippers - meant to be my Christmas present but the ones I originally got didn’t fit and were more expensive, so sort of saved money 🤭

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Im finding going through drawers to be helpful in stopping me spending... I used to stockpile medicine/plasters etc for 'just in case'. That probably started in 2020 when you couldn't find paracetamol in the shops.

Well I've just chucked out several packets of lemsip and whatnot which was a year or more out of date. Definitely a reminder not to overbuy - 1 packet at a time in the drawer is enough to get through a cold for a few days.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and reading up on the psychological aspects of why we purchase certain things excessively. Regarding my multiple food shops I believe it’s because I grew up in a household where food was used as a controlling weapon. Do the wrong thing and you don’t get to eat etc … I need my traumatised brain to understand that nobody can starve me anymore. I’m 50 years old FFS you’d think I’d be over it by now 😢

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and reading up on the psychological aspects of why we purchase certain things excessively. Regarding my multiple food shops I believe it’s because I grew up in a household where food was used as a controlling weapon. Do the wrong thing and you don’t get to eat etc … I need my traumatised brain to understand that nobody can starve me anymore. I’m 50 years old FFS you’d think I’d be over it by now 😢
I always buy a load of tinned goods, pasta and rice etc. in case of emergencies for this reason. I was hungry a lot as a child and when things are very unsettled in the world like they are now I do find myself purchasing extras just in case. Thankfully o seem to have finally curtailed my spending when it comes to clothes, skincare and takeaways... 🤞🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What is the actual reason you want to buy them on sale when you have 3 back ups waiting? I'm only basing this from coming across your posts on a few threads but I believe you can afford your shopping even when it's full price. You already have multiple back ups, so the reason can't really be an urgency or necessity. Why does having several back ups comfort you? Why is this taking up space in your thoughts to the point where you can't stop thinking about it?

There's always a deeper cause pushing us to buy and keep multiples and chase discounts but it can be different for everyone. (For example, I grew up without much money and when I could afford nice things with my own money, just being able to buy something without spending time on how it would wreck my budget was a great novelty. In time, the satisfaction of having something new took over the pleasure of being able to afford what I want.) Instead of distracting yourself from the motivation to shop, figuring it out and facing it might help more in the long run. Maybe mulling over the actual root of the compulsion will help you control the urge too. 🙏
You’re absolutely right, I don’t know what it is, whether it’s a mix of never ever wanting to let myself go without something I need, hence I buy multiples a lot, or whether these material things bring me joy, where other aspects of my life, can’t. I’ll give you an example - I have over 50 bottles of perfume. I even have perfume that have been gifts, or I’ve purchased, brand new in the box, in my wardrobe. Well over £500, just sitting there, untouched, for about a year now, that I’m just adding to.

I don’t know why but just knowing they are there, gives me comfort. What have I asked my husband for, for Valentine’s Day? Perfume. I recognise I have a deep rooted problem, I think I’m trying to get material things to fill my life. I just don’t know how to stop

Sorry this is such a deep post! Ignore me 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 15
@Scorpihoe I'm the same with perfume. Have loads. Some more expensive but if I get wind of an Aldi or Lidl dupe, I'm like a moth to a flame. My collection comforts me though I do use some every day.
I've done well this week. Total spent so far £7.00 and that's just food stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
You’re absolutely right, I don’t know what it is, whether it’s a mix of never ever wanting to let myself go without something I need, hence I buy multiples a lot, or whether these material things bring me joy, where other aspects of my life, can’t. I’ll give you an example - I have over 50 bottles of perfume. I even have perfume that have been gifts, or I’ve purchased, brand new in the box, in my wardrobe. Well over £500, just sitting there, untouched, for about a year now, that I’m just adding to.

I don’t know why but just knowing they are there, gives me comfort. What have I asked my husband for, for Valentine’s Day? Perfume. I recognise I have a deep rooted problem, I think I’m trying to get material things to fill my life. I just don’t know how to stop

Sorry this is such a deep post! Ignore me 😅
Maybe consider thinking of it as a coping mechanism. We often learn to cope with dealing with trauma/ stress/ loss, you name it, through thinks like compulsive shopping/ drinking etc. I do believe we create these shortcuts to temporarily numbing ourselves of feelings that make us feel bad and after awhile they become automatic behaviours we adopt at times we feel overwhelmed, even when the initial reason we started them is no longer present.

Be kind to yourself and try and be curious rather than judgmental. Giving yourself space and time observe why you keep buying the next perfume is key imo to understand the pattern and eventually stop it. Sending hugs 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Maybe consider thinking of it as a coping mechanism. We often learn to cope with dealing with trauma/ stress/ loss, you name it, through thinks like compulsive shopping/ drinking etc. I do believe we create these shortcuts to temporarily numbing ourselves of feelings that make us feel bad and after awhile they become automatic behaviours we adopt at times we feel overwhelmed, even when the initial reason we started them is no longer present.

Be kind to yourself and try and be curious rather than judgmental. Giving yourself space and time observe why you keep buying the next perfume is key imo to understand the pattern and eventually stop it. Sending hugs 💕
Thank you, I needed to hear this ♥ right now I’m trying to ease into the idea of “I don’t need that, I have many of those and it’s okay if I run out, I can buy it then”. I can buy it later if I really need it, I don’t need it now even if it’s on sale. I just repeat these mantras in my mind 🤣

Thank you lovely ♥

• Heart
Going into my last week before pay day and low spend January was going great until my phone got stolen and I had to pay the excess to get it back & now my boiler has broken and needs replacing 😩😩 but unnecessary spend wise I haven’t bought anything all month 😅

• Sad
  • Heart
Low spend January went bust for me after a few emergency purchases and payments 😭 at least I haven't bought anything unnecessary and we haven't had a takeaway etc!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.