Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Got to confess I’ve bought some jeans this morning. But in my defence I cleared out and sold lots of my clothes and nearly all my jeans following an intervention from my child regarding my dress sense 🫣

It was a need as my choice is limited, I got free delivery as it’s already paid for on an annual thing and I had a discount code for £10 off. Do I get bonus points for not looking at anything else and adding to the order? 🙌🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This is quite specific but how do you stop yourself from buying things that are on sale/a really good bargain, but you know you already have plenty of? But it’s a really good price and you know you use this item all the time so eventually you will use it all up, but just right now it’s a very cheap price. 🤣

Reactions: 8
I'm doing this at the moment with a body oil that is on good discount. To stop myself buying I went through all my body products and calculated how long it would take me to use to the stuff I havd already. I definitely have at least a years supply and don't want to waste what I have so trying my best not to buy.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
This is quite specific but how do you stop yourself from buying things that are on sale/a really good bargain, but you know you already have plenty of? But it’s a really good price and you know you use this item all the time so eventually you will use it all up, but just right now it’s a very cheap price. 🤣
Depending on whether you prefer online or physical shopping, for me what works is to minimise exposure. Avoid visiting the shops you frequent for a while. There always is going to be another bargain. Unsubscribing from marketing emails is key as those are the little temptation devils that can break anyone’s good resolve.

I think to myself, if it’s listed at this price then it’ll get listed at this price again at some point in the future.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I did this myself over Christmas, went to a big shopping centre and thought urgh, the sale racks…..can I bother to search through to get something for the sake of it? So I didn’t bother.

Then I saw the new display of fitness wear which I’m a sucker for, I looked at it and said to myself ‘you’ve got loads of this already’ just wear that and the desire wore off pretty quickly 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm using Hargreaves Lansdown - they have a really good app and are pretty well regarded for investing. Full disclosure, I used to work for them so am slightly biased probably! But I've used Lightyear in the past and didn't stay with them for long.
🙏 thank you! I’ve thought about it before, but the “personal recommendation” made it easy for me - no excuses now! I opened the account and have made my first investment. I know down as well as up - but given I’ve saved £800 this month by “not buying everything I see”, things would have to go terribly terribly wrong. 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Love the feeling of money back in your account after doing returns!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I used to work for PizzaExpress and one of the things I'd never pay money for outside the home is Pizza. The markup is ridiculous, eg back in 2007 the PE Margarita was £4.99, the cost of the ingredients was 24p! OK there are other costs to running a restaurant but in general food cost would be somewhere between 24% and 30% of the menu price, the margarita was less than 5% food cost.
Popcorn is another with a huge markup and Pasta.
I hear you re the mark up but I certainly can’t make a pizza at home that tastes like PE so I’m happy to pay for it once in a while!

• Heart
Just seen a video on TikTok that I loved of someone sharing their do not buy list and think it’s a genius idea. It can be super vague (hers had pastel colours on it) or really specific (eg this bag from this brand) but just taking some time to think about what you’re realistically going to use versus what appeals to you/is targeted to you? It’s interesting to think about!
I've got a no buy list and have put stuff like on it like:
No more candles - have enough and its literally burning money
No more skincare until I've used everything that's already open
No more hand creams until I've used all the half empty ones around the house

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Is it perishable? Am I better off buying fresh when the time comes?
Do I have the budget this month?
That's what I ask myself.

I've got a no buy list and have put stuff like on it like:
No more candles - have enough and its literally burning money
No more skincare until I've used everything that's already open
No more hand creams until I've used all the half empty ones around the house
We have 2/3 of the same no buys! Also anything floral for me, I love it around the home but in clothes it looks grim on me!

Re: stock piling cosmetics when on offer - discounts (or GWP!) are often on overstocked lines with imminent expiry dates, so the “deal” is just a way for the brand/retailer to reduce wastage. I always see it as - do I want to give my money to a business to help them out of this mistake of their own creation? The answer will never be yes!

• Heart
@Kim Mild not perishable! I have the money to buy, but for me it’s not about money, but about hoarding things, I often find I have loads of the same thing and I need to learn not to get sucked into marketing and remember “I have loads of hair oils that I haven’t used up yet”

The item in question is my favourite lip balm. The crazy thing is, I have 3 backups. And it takes me about 6-8 months of daily use to get through it. But it’s on sale and for some reason I can’t stop thinking about it 🥲 that sounds sad lol

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm doing this at the moment with a body oil that is on good discount. To stop myself buying I went through all my body products and calculated how long it would take me to use to the stuff I havd already. I definitely have at least a years supply and don't want to waste what I have so trying my best not to buy.
I started doing this in April last year and I am still going! Ridiculous! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
@Kim Mild not perishable! I have the money to buy, but for me it’s not about money, but about hoarding things, I often find I have loads of the same thing and I need to learn not to get sucked into marketing and remember “I have loads of hair oils that I haven’t used up yet”

The item in question is my favourite lip balm. The crazy thing is, I have 3 backups. And it takes me about 6-8 months of daily use to get through it. But it’s on sale and for some reason I can’t stop thinking about it 🥲 that sounds sad lol
Put the money you would spend on it in a savings account or revolute vault for a spa day or weekend break away. That's my advice anyway! Should help you stop thinking about it because you have put the money elsewhere ❤

• Heart
I’ve got a box under my bed filled with lotions, potions and balms. I’ve made a deal with myself that I won’t buy more until I run out of a specific item which another won’t cover. Every time I open the box it’s like “ooooh I forgot I had that” so is like shopping in your own house. 😂

I get the hoarding mentality though- I use soap rather than shower gel and have a dozen + stockpiled. That’s a lot of showers.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve been making a list in my notes app of things I want and then haven’t purchased, seems to be working well as I’ve actually gone in and deleted stuff a week later after realising I don’t want it - previously I would have already purchased it 😬

I have spent out a bit on beauty products this month though because my skin has gotten so dry and my current foundation was looking horrific so I had to get a skin tint to use instead.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I hear you re the mark up but I certainly can’t make a pizza at home that tastes like PE so I’m happy to pay for it once in a while!
I bought one of those pizza machines and they are 👩‍🍳😘. Granted it took a few goes to get the hang of it and I make the dough in a bread maker because life’s too short… 😂 But honestly, bleeping brilliant and none of that soggy bottom you get when you stick a frozen one in the oven.

edit: bloody brilliant if your kids randomly bring home a load of friends. No teenage boy ever refuses pizza.

• Wow
  • Heart
Put the money you would spend on it in a savings account or revolute vault for a spa day or weekend break away. That's my advice anyway! Should help you stop thinking about it because you have put the money elsewhere ❤
Such a good idea!! Thank you ♥ I’m going to do this more often x

• Heart
I bought one of those pizza machines and they are 👩‍🍳😘. Granted it took a few goes to get the hang of it and I make the dough in a bread maker because life’s too short… 😂 But honestly, bleeping brilliant and none of that soggy bottom you get when you stick a frozen one in the oven.

edit: bloody brilliant if your kids randomly bring home a load of friends. No teenage boy ever refuses pizza.
What pizza machines???!!!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.