Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What pizza machines???!!!
I’ve got a “cooks professional” which was £90 or so from Amazon - gold standard is a Ferrari (bien sur).

It’s a mini pizza oven with a stone which heats way higher than an oven can so it gets properly crispy without drying out. The dough is a doddle if you’ve got a bread machine.

Obviously if you get one you will be FORCED to try and twirl a lump of dough around your finger like you see them do onAmerican TV. This will not end well.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
This is quite specific but how do you stop yourself from buying things that are on sale/a really good bargain, but you know you already have plenty of? But it’s a really good price and you know you use this item all the time so eventually you will use it all up, but just right now it’s a very cheap price.

Just thinking you still have to spend money to save money.

I take photographs, screenshots or add it to my Amazon wish list. You still "possess" the item, but in a different way.

I do have a cluttered camera roll, but it's better than having it in my living space. That helps with giving away a lot of things too, I may have emotional ties as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Tbf though I do have an opposite problem where I’m quite good at resisting sales but then when I actually need the item it’s no longer in sale and I have to buy full price. And of course once I’ve bought it, it’s back on sale. 😩I ned a slighter better hoarding instinct

• Haha
Reactions: 3
This is quite specific but how do you stop yourself from buying things that are on sale/a really good bargain, but you know you already have plenty of? But it’s a really good price and you know you use this item all the time so eventually you will use it all up, but just right now it’s a very cheap price. 🤣
the way I look at it is a little *girl math* but hear me out. If I want it or need it and get it on sale, I’m saving money, if I didn't want it or need it and buy it on sale it’s a waste of money.
This is why my need and wants lists are so helpful because if it’s not on either of those lists it’s collateral damage to my savings.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Tbf though I do have an opposite problem where I’m quite good at resisting sales but then when I actually need the item it’s no longer in sale and I have to buy full price. And of course once I’ve bought it, it’s back on sale. 😩I ned a slighter better hoarding instinct
If you will need the item, It makes sense to buy it on sale. Work out how much of it you would normally use in a year. Eg if it was a body cream. You get through x3 a year. Buy three.

If it won't be used, but just sat there then like gossip girl said, it's not a real saving.
---
It's like the giant jars at Costco. If you can't finish 3kg of the item before it spoils, it would be better to just buy the 500g version.

Reactions: 5
I've got a no buy list and have put stuff like on it like:
No more candles - have enough and its literally burning money
No more skincare until I've used everything that's already open
No more hand creams until I've used all the half empty ones around the house
I’m with on all of these!

Reactions: 1
If you will need the item, It makes sense to buy it on sale. Work out how much of it you would normally use in a year. Eg if it was a body cream. You get through x3 a year. Buy three.

If it won't be used, but just sat there then like gossip girl said, it's not a real saving.
---
It's like the giant jars at Costco. If you can't finish 3kg of the item before it spoils, it would be better to just buy the 500g version.
Hehe well this has just convinced me to buy the serum I was looking at on sale 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Love the feeling of money back in your account after doing returns!
i made a clothes order at the end of last year before i found this thread as i'm in a bit of a rut, but have returned over half of it! i just needed to reframe how i view my everyday wardrobe as a uniform of suitable comfy clothes. reduces decision fatigue of a morning too which is never a bad thing

We have 2/3 of the same no buys! Also anything floral for me, I love it around the home but in clothes it looks grim on me!

Re: stock piling cosmetics when on offer - discounts (or GWP!) are often on overstocked lines with imminent expiry dates, so the “deal” is just a way for the brand/retailer to reduce wastage. I always see it as - do I want to give my money to a business to help them out of this mistake of their own creation? The answer will never be yes!
Wow that's such a good point about brands trying to get rid of excess stock and stuff like skincare won't be the freshest.

I realised something a while ago with clothes... The stuff on sales is always the wacky prints and unusual colours they need to shift.

When the whole 'neutral basics' clothes trend came in I realised that what suits me (and is easy to wear) is white, black, navy, camel etc. NOT lime green, bright pink, canary yellow... Which was the kinda stuff I was buying in the sales just because it was a bargain.

Reactions: 12
Wow that's such a good point about brands trying to get rid of excess stock and stuff like skincare won't be the freshest.

I realised something a while ago with clothes... The stuff on sales is always the wacky prints and unusual colours they need to shift.

When the whole 'neutral basics' clothes trend came in I realised that what suits me (and is easy to wear) is white, black, navy, camel etc. NOT lime green, bright pink, canary yellow... Which was the kinda stuff I was buying in the sales just because it was a bargain.
This is true. If you look at lululemon/sweaty betty the black leggings are rarely the ones in the sale!

Reactions: 6
Why do companies make the weird patterns if no one buys them?
So this varies depending on the type of retailer but thinking of lululemon as it was specifically called out. Re: the seasonal colours, “seasonal overstock” is a thing and why you’ll get end of season sales as standard. Core SKUs eg your black leggings or handbags or whatever will very rarely be discounted, especially for a premium/luxury brand and especially for hero products (eg what you’re known for - glossier’s boy brow type cult hits). Re: crazy prints, this tends to be more of a problem at high street or fast fashion level where there’s the demand to churn out a lot of different styles, but is just a bad buy. Someone saw some qual research on what’s trending for next year (remembering product development cycles happen a year or more in advance) eg silver cowboy will be big for 2024 so bought x units of a skin tight silver yoga pant that literally no one over the age of 17 will buy that needs to be discounted to shift in order to make room for new lines on the shop floor/warehouse. Buying & product development are really challenging roles and there’s a lot of turnover because of situations like this.

Also whilst I’m here pls never feel any sense of urgency to buy a product in case it sells out, chance would be a fine thing lol ❤

• Heart
Was literally just about to hit 'buy' on a belt bag from Lululemon, remembered to check the BDS list and well, saved myself £48. Need to find one from a Palestinian friendly brand - any suggestions?

Reactions: 6
This is quite specific but how do you stop yourself from buying things that are on sale/a really good bargain, but you know you already have plenty of? But it’s a really good price and you know you use this item all the time so eventually you will use it all up, but just right now it’s a very cheap price. 🤣

I'm giving myself 24 hours, on Monday I saw a dress 70% reduced, which was very nice, my size etc. Did the 24 hour wait & was gone on Tuesday. I don't need a new dress, I have plenty, need to wear the wardrobe

Reactions: 9
Anyone *ahem treating themselves to a Valentines gift?:unsure: 😊
Haha like what? :ROFLMAO:

The only thing I've been tempted to purchase this week was £2.90 chocolate pralines in Lidl. Didn't buy them as I already had two bars of chocolate in my trolley.
---
I bought this in red for my sister in the post Christmas sales. She tried it on today and liked it.

Last edited:
I've got a no buy list and have put stuff like on it like:
No more candles - have enough and its literally burning money
No more skincare until I've used everything that's already open
No more hand creams until I've used all the half empty ones around the house
Joining this thread here! I'm hoping to buy a house this year (eek!) and I need a) to get rid of half the tit I've been hoarding in my house and b) save money!

Candles is a big one for me, can't go near a tk maxx without buying at least one, usually two. I got a diffuser for Christmas from my sister that I can top up with water and £2 fragrance oils, it's reusable, makes the room smell nice and is the perfect amount of white noise to fall asleep to 👌🏻👌🏻 no more burning money!

• Heart
Reactions: 10

My wardrobe consists of black, white, grey, cream and a little teal and bottle green. Even my house is the same colours 😂. It does make life simpler and I feel much more put together since I stopped trying to follow trends and just went with my own style. My husband calls it ‘classy business rock chick goth’ 😈

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Haha like what? :ROFLMAO:

The only thing I've been tempted to purchase this week was £2.90 chocolate pralines in Lidl. Didn't buy them as I already had two bars of chocolate in my trolley.
---
I bought this in red for my sister in the post Christmas sales. She tried it on today and liked it.

Well whatever you like its a gift to you isn't it :ROFLMAO:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.