Do I want it? No. Do I need it? No. Save it!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you, I needed to hear this ♥ right now I’m trying to ease into the idea of “I don’t need that, I have many of those and it’s okay if I run out, I can buy it then”. I can buy it later if I really need it, I don’t need it now even if it’s on sale. I just repeat these mantras in my mind 🤣

Thank you lovely ♥
I’ve been trying to rethink when I see something ‘desirable’ and drill down into what need it would actually be fulfilling, what feeling I’m really looking for and how else I might achieve it for myself.

Lots of ads and store displays before Christmas showed blazing fires, cosy sofas, etc etc and had me thinking I needed all manner of fluffy blankets and heated beanbags and new pajamas…

When I actually thought about the ‘want’ I really just wanted to feel warm, safe and rested after a very busy year. I can make that happen for myself and I can’t actually buy that feeling in a shop.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I've been following this thread and really enjoying everyone sharing their thoughts, ideas and experiences. It's genuinely made me think about purchases and a couple of times I've done some browsing online, even put stuff in my basket but have thought back to this thread and realised I don't need it (clothes mostly - I have plenty and realistically, wear the same few things in rotation).

Anyway I've been moved to post this evening as I'm very annoyed at myself. I read somewhere upthread about takeaways often being a bit disappointing. Well whoever it was, you were so right! I had one tonight (husband was out for drinks, said to order one and he'd have some when he got back), so I did and it was ok, but with the deliveroo delivery charge and a service charge (wtf is that) it was 40 odd quid, such a lot of money! I could easily have had something from the fridge/freezer with very little effort and probably much better for me. Husband has just arrived home at 10.30pm and is having a bit now but I know some of it will go in the bin, so it's not just wasted money it's wasted food as well.

Rant over, just felt the need to share, hopefully I'll remember this next time I think about a takeaway!

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Thank you, I needed to hear this ♥ right now I’m trying to ease into the idea of “I don’t need that, I have many of those and it’s okay if I run out, I can buy it then”. I can buy it later if I really need it, I don’t need it now even if it’s on sale. I just repeat these mantras in my mind 🤣

Thank you lovely ♥
I can really empathise with this mindset! I’ve started a note on my phone of what I am genuinely running low on and can/should replace (cleanser and moisturiser). I was going to buy them both a month ago. Guess what I still haven’t run out of? Also Sephora still has the same offer this whole time on them 😂 defo track what you almost bought and measure against how nowhere near “out” you are and you’ll feel so much more reassured x

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I am going to try and give up alcohol for a few months. Drank a lot over Xmas, and feel blah, plus it is so expensive. Nearly a week in. I am looking forward to the weekend shop. The total cost should be a lot less!

I went into a Poundland today for batteries. I don’t go in there very often. Shocked that most things are no longer a pound. Shocked they have removed the self service tills. Shocked at the bouncer style security guy on the door. Times must be really hard if people are nicking from Poundland.

• Heart
Won this evening by not buying weed! Saved myself £40 there! Bought myself a boujie ready meal from Sainsbury's, with some dim sum sides... Cost about £7 so still soo much cheaper than a takeaway!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Those of you not sticking to low spend due to emergencies, that does not deem you a failure. The point of low spend/being more aware is really to help with those unexpected expenses in the long run. There is ‘always something’ that will crop up, but necessary is very different to the mindless overspending many of us do.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Those of you not sticking to low spend due to emergencies, that does not deem you a failure. The point of low spend/being more aware is really to help with those unexpected expenses in the long run. There is ‘always something’ that will crop up, but necessary is very different to the mindless overspending many of us do.
I was about to write the exact same thing. Sometimes you need to spend money on stuff.

Reactions: 8
After mentioning lululemon I’ve manifested a discount code. Found a jumper and leggings that I’d like to buy, but don’t necessarily need… Taking all my strength not to click ‘check out and pay’. But will it help with motivation to go to the gym? My adanola leggings just keep falling down, and it might make me feel more put together 🥵

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I am going to try and give up alcohol for a few months. Drank a lot over Xmas, and feel blah, plus it is so expensive. Nearly a week in. I am looking forward to the weekend shop. The total cost should be a lot less!

I went into a Poundland today for batteries. I don’t go in there very often. Shocked that most things are no longer a pound. Shocked they have removed the self service tills. Shocked at the bouncer style security guy on the door. Times must be really hard if people are nicking from Poundland.
Come and join us on the Dry Jan and Beyond Sober/Curious thread! I’ve easily saved over £3000 on booze, sure some of that I spent on other treats but never having a hangover is, as they say, priceless! And I’ve worked extra hard in my business and have probably doubled profits.

After mentioning lululemon I’ve manifested a discount code. Found a jumper and leggings that I’d like to buy, but don’t necessarily need… Taking all my strength not to click ‘check out and pay’. But will it help with motivation to go to the gym? My adanola leggings just keep falling down, and it might make me feel more put together 🥵
Incase it helps you make the decision, Lululemon are major supporters of Israel. I was literally about to click check out on a bag I was after but that helped me resist!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Would make me MORE inclined to buy from Lulu. 😁

I am breaking down the perfume collection and getting rid of stuff which I never really loved entirely. I donate to my local chazzer who don’t over-charge people and I hope someone gets a lovely bargain that cheers them up. I realise probably not all chazzer a will accept part-used bottles, but thankfully this is one that serves the community rather than the CEO. I still have more than I need but I’m working on it. 😬

Mod edit let's leave this topic here as it'll only end in an offtopic argument

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sick
  • Angry
Was going through my bag and just remembered a little tip that might be helpful - Whenever I want a new beauty product I always try and get samples of it, e.g I have been wanting to try the Kiehls SPF gel but didn't want to commit to buying the full size. Went into Boots and got 3 sample sizes that have so far lasted me a couple of months! That saved me buying the full size product (for now), I know that the product works with my skin and if/when I choose to purchase the full size I know it won't be a waste. Brands can be stingy with samples but if you find a helpful sales assistant they usually won't mind. The sample sizes are perfect for travelling too
Sorry if this has been asked as I'm catching up. Do you just ask if they have the samples in stock or an area to purchase a few samples?

Reactions: 3
Sorry if this has been asked as I'm catching up. Do you just ask if they have the samples in stock or an area to purchase a few samples?
yeah I basically say “oh ive been wanting to try X as I already use Y but haven’t tried this one before…” and make a bit of conversation rather than just directly asking for samples. Some people are really against giving them but others will say of course and give you them. It just helps save money because you might not even like the product but at least you’ve had chance to try at home!
Also if you wanted to be a bit crafty, you could visit other stores that stock the same items and get a few 🤣🤫

• Heart
yeah I basically say “oh ive been wanting to try X as I already use Y but haven’t tried this one before…” and make a bit of conversation rather than just directly asking for samples. Some people are really against giving them but others will say of course and give you them. It just helps save money because you might not even like the product but at least you’ve had chance to try at home!
Also if you wanted to be a bit crafty, you could visit other stores that stock the same items and get a few 🤣🤫
Amazing haha!! Thank you, ive had my eye on the midnight recovery oil from kiehls for a while now but mega pricey so will pop in and enquire!

Reactions: 3
I finished “The Year of Less” and there are some interesting ideas which I think I’m going to implement. I’d say it’s certainly easier to discard mountains of crap when you’ve not got a house full of kids… 🙄😁 Nonetheless, I don’t need a set of eg Nepalese salad tongs - so they’re going to the chazzer. And I rewarded my savings with £5 for finishing a book.

I was thinking of making a thread on “empties”, where we can post our empty beauty/skincare/anything items and encourage each other to use up things we already own? Instead of buying more x

would anyone be interested in joining? ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I was thinking of making a thread on “empties”, where we can post our empty beauty/skincare/anything items and encourage each other to use up things we already own? Instead of buying more x

Yes! I’ve had a huge declutter of my cabinet, tossed some stuff and using up the rest. Would be really into this ❤

• Heart

Yes!! I'm dedicated to using up so many products at the moment!

• Heart
I'm shocking for buying skin care and beauty "must haves" I have a drawer full of stuff that it will probably take me months to get through, but in days gone by I bought even more stuff willy nilly.
Now I have vowed to not buy any more skin care or make up this year.......I'll save $$$$$ If I can manage the willpower......

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.