Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Everyone has always snubbed us for shopping at Sainsburys as if we are pretentious - it’s honestly one of the cheaper supermarkets!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Everyone has always snubbed us for shopping at Sainsburys as if we are pretentious - it’s honestly one of the cheaper supermarkets!
The nectar prices are really good. I don't think they've jacked their base prices as much as morrisons has, either.

Reactions: 5
If they're not paying your bills their opinion really doesn't matter. It's a supermarket- hardly daily shopping at Harrods.

Reactions: 13
Sainsburys do a 39p loaf
My Sainsburys doesn't. The cheapest full size loaf is 90p. I think they have 20 slices. 2 slices and half a tin of beans comes to 22p. Can't really complain about that.

I shop at Sainsburys because it's within walking distahce and I don't drive.

Reactions: 3
My Sainsburys doesn't. The cheapest full size loaf is 90p. I think they have 20 slices. 2 slices and half a tin of beans comes to 22p. Can't really complain about that.

This! For lots of people, their choice of supermarket is limited by proximity/how much they can carry/whether they’re near a bus stop. We drive, but like many, are limited by our rurality- 30 miles to the nearest big shops so you’re sometimes forced to use expensive village places - they’re convenient in emergencies but they’re expensive - I paid £3 for a couple of sad leeks a couple of weeks ago - got 3 lovely fresh ones in M&S for £1.10 a week later.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Its so crap that people are having to consider giving up little treats and pick me ups.

I always get myself a drive through coffee either before I do my weekly shop or after it for surviving it. Its my little treat and I look forward to it.

It makes for a bleak and brutal existance when you can have nothing to look forward to. Very difficult to carry on.

Its understandable that prices are going up as businesses are having to meet the financial demands we as individuals are having but its a scary prospect if noone can afford it anymore.
Unfortunately, although you and I consider it unaffordable, lots of people are still buying it, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Reactions: 2
I think the shops will have to lower their prices or they will end up with fridges and freezers full of overpriced food that nobody will buy. A staff member in Morrisons said to me that they won’t even shop there themselves and that people will just stop coming in if they keep rising prices.
The morrisons down the road from me is absolutely dead, was talking to a lady i know who works there and she said the last couple months it has been very very quiet.

This! For lots of people, their choice of supermarket is limited by proximity/how much they can carry/whether they’re near a bus stop. We drive, but like many, are limited by our rurality- 30 miles to the nearest big shops so you’re sometimes forced to use expensive village places - they’re convenient in emergencies but they’re expensive - I paid £3 for a couple of sad leeks a couple of weeks ago - got 3 lovely fresh ones in M&S for £1.10 a week later.
Yes exactly this. During the week I am limited to where I can walk to as I dont drive, I can get to a morrisons, tesco and an aldi at a push but aldi is about 30 mins walk away. Morrisons is closest at 15 mins so I normally end up there paying ridiculous prices

Reactions: 1

The cheaper ones are on the end of the aisle at mine so isn't obvious. They've got a few 80p ones too. 22p isn't bad at all though, could also do eggs on toast for a cheap meal. £2.20 for 15 eggs, 15p each.
Luckily I drive as nearest are lidl and waitrose 2 miles away and rest are all 10 miles. Sainsburys seems best for delivery prices, £1 for a saver slot

I think with supermarkets it also really depends what everyone buys. There is no chance with what I eat i could do a cheap weekly shop in Sainsbury's or M&S. Also actually impressed by those who say their weekly shopping is like 30 quid. Would like to see their shopping list cause I dunno how that's possible 😭

Reactions: 9
£30 would be impossible for me, I can nip in and spend that on one dinner and other bits I need like washing pods etc.

On another site last year someone was adamant they could do a weekly shop for £15 for them and their child. It turns out they weren’t having any breakfast or fruit, lunch was provided at school for free for the child and then they were having the cheapest sausage, chicken nuggets and chips every night. I’m yet to see anyone who claims this to provide a decent list or meal plan.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Frugal Tess does shopping lists and meal plans on youtube, she costs it usually under £20/person. I think I could feed myself quite well for £20/week, but I don't eat meat or meat substitutes like quorn.

The market specials fruit and veg at m&s is pretty good. Still a bit more expensive than the budget places but is always really good quality. The big avocados feel like a bargain at 69p as they always ripen, unlike other places where most seem to end in the bin.

Reactions: 4
£30 would be impossible for me, I can nip in and spend that on one dinner and other bits I need like washing pods etc.

On another site last year someone was adamant they could do a weekly shop for £15 for them and their child. It turns out they weren’t having any breakfast or fruit, lunch was provided at school for free for the child and then they were having the cheapest sausage, chicken nuggets and chips every night. I’m yet to see anyone who claims this to provide a decent list or meal plan.
That's the thing, to be able to provide a reasonably healthy, balanced diet for the family including fresh fruit and veg it is almost impossible to cut the cost down that much.

For my children I will not have them going a day with no fruit or veg. They do eat nuggets and chips occasionally of course, but 5/7 nights a week they eat a home cooked meal. As a parent its important to me to have them eat well. Unfortunately that means our food bill is getting more and more, and I will have to adjust and make cut backs.

ETA - the poorest children in this country who already don't have the best diet (out of necessity not bad parenting i should add) are going to suffer even more and that is heartbreaking.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
It's like jack monroe who does a shop of random smart price stuff that you'd struggle to make meals out of for £20 and says its possible. Then she goes on that her biggest tip to shop cheaply is to have lots of food stored at home 🙄. As tone deaf as if Jacob rees-mogg said he spends less than £20 on food a week as the housekeeper does the shopping.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
It's like jack monroe who does a shop of random smart price stuff that you'd struggle to make meals out of for £20 and says its possible. Then she goes on that her biggest tip to shop cheaply is to have lots of food stored at home 🙄. As tone deaf as if Jacob rees-mogg said he spends less than £20 on food a week as the housekeeper does the shopping.

I do think though that unfortunately it is true. You need staples in the cupboard as well as herbs, spices and such. But there’s very few people who cook using those and it goes back to children being taught proper cooking and portion sizes and the need for a stock cupboard.

I’m rare amongst my friends for having this and cooking the meals I do, but that’s my upbringing from a war child parent and never having a lot of money even after as an adult, but he made sure we ate well and it was never anything frozen or from a packet.

Reactions: 3
I've just been into Sainsbury's for all of my fruit and veg - I had at least 3 people look at the potatoes I'd picked and tell me they were huge 😅 I decided to go for all the bagless stuff (barring some grapes and strawberries) and I got bananas, mango, kiwi, yellow melon, potatoes, a huge dark green cabbage, suedes and another loaf this week and a few bits from the free from (which end up being the most pricey!) And spent £25 so I've done £85 combined with the Asda shop (tins and frozen mainly) I did the other day and there's 3 of us ... I'm expecting to not have to go again for at least a week and a half but I may have to top up bread and milk as my partner is bread mad at the mo!!

Reactions: 1
I was the person doing a £30 challenge for a couple, for a week. Breakfast, dinner and snacks (we both get lunch with work). Porridge made in slow cooker overnight , half milk, half water with apple puree made from neighbours’ donated Bramleys on top. Toast and butter. Dinner is 2 nights of chilli, half meat, half quorn, plus rice, chicken and veg one night, chicken & winter salad the next and a jacket spud, leek & potato soup made with chicken stock 1 night followed by apple crumble and custard, home made pizza and salad. One night omelette/frittata using leftover veg with some winter salad (white and red cabbage, onion, carrot, bit of lemon mayonnaise). We have cheese & oatcakes for snacks, I made a batch of 6 fruit and 6 cheese scones, plus Lidl 89p satsumas, plums from the next door tree. I batch cook most of it at the weekend as it would be too depressing to do it every day. Total ingredients - £33. Boring, but filling and hot. We don’t have kids and aren’t fussy eaters, don’t drink alcohol. My regular food shop is £65-£69. Extras are nicer bread, posh crisps, more fruit (really wanted some juicy looking oranges this week, but £3 for 4, couldn’t afford in budget) nice fruit juice, fresh fish, biscuits, store cupboard refills, maybe a couple of easy but nicer quality ‘ping’ meals, an M&S meal deal, bacon, raspberries for breakfasts (we’re getting the last of the Scottish ones here - I don’t buy them if imported). Nice coffee - we drink hardly any as we’d rather have none than instant). I don’t use anything from the freezer in saving week. Doing it one week in 3 till Feb.

Reactions: 8
Nipped into the COOP for a few bits and the prices were so abhorrent I left. People used to say beans on toast was a struggle meal and I doubt many could even afford that now. It's bleeping immoral.
I've found the quality of the Coop's products doesn't really justify their heavily inflated prices either. I think their cheapest loaf of wholemeal bread in my local is £1, is pretty hard and goes mouldy quite quickly. Their veg has really slipped down over the past year as well. They've also cut the value of discount vouchers I used to get every week on my app. I only ever go there now for booze or if I'm really, really, lazy.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.