Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I couldn't be on with a new car. My BIL earns alot and has a fancy pants car, last year there was a storm and the wind blew something onto his car and smashed the roof in. Cost him £3k to fix. In contrast, my entire car cost £1200 lmao. I appreciate they look nicer, but at the end of the day if it gets me from A to B I couldn't care less.
He doesn't have car insurance?

That's cause you can pay 5-10k out of pocket? We just got a house last year so all savings went for that and I had to get a car, what are people in that position supposed to do? Could save for a year and be without a car for all that time and get a really cheap second hand car, get a loan and get a decent second hand car, or get on PCP. I chose to get a loan
We borrowed money from a family member and paid it back at £300 a month. When we paid it off in full we continued to pay the money into a separate account as we were used to it being a car payment. From that point on we always had a chunk of money to buy a car in cash. I appreciate not everyone has the option of interest free credit but once the loan is paid, pretend it isn't, so you pay yourself rather than a lender. It also became a repair fund to take the stress out of breakdowns.

Reactions: 8
That's cause you can pay 5-10k out of pocket? We just got a house last year so all savings went for that and I had to get a car, what are people in that position supposed to do? Could save for a year and be without a car for all that time and get a really cheap second hand car, get a loan and get a decent second hand car, or get on PCP. I chose to get a loan
Yes I always pay out of pocket as I save about 1000€ per month.

Cheap second hand cars start at 500€ and the repairs are cheaper than what people repay in monthly instalments. At least here in Ireland.

It would be crazy to get in debt for something that loses its value everyday.

Reactions: 3
Yes I always pay out of pocket as I save about 1000€ per month.

Cheap second hand cars start at 500€ and the repairs are cheaper than what people repay in monthly instalments. At least here in Ireland.

It would be crazy to get in debt for something that loses its value everyday.
I don't think it's crazy. Having an old cheap car would be stressful to me. Also being able to save 1000 a month is rather privileged position. My loan is 5 times less than that and tbh second hand cars market has been crazy.

If you get a house now it's the same, it might go down in value too, so should people not get mortgages?

Reactions: 6
Many people cant save £100 a month never mind £1000. People live to their means, whether thats advisable or not.

So many households will not function without at least one car. 2 adults working often in opposite directions means having 2 reliable cars is often a necessity. Add in children to get dropped off here there and everywhere and it makes using public transport impossible.

There seems to be huge wait times with getting cars fixed at the moment too. Obviously not saying newer cars never need work because thats false.

Long story short, i imagine the majority of people who can buy a car outright are doing so and those who cant dont. I find it funny the little gripes and finger pointing that seem to crop up on this thread.

COL will affect everyone and noone could make decisions 4 years ago knowing the tit show we are in now. If you did, genuine well done to you.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Last year I was looking at getting a new car on 0% finance, it was £150 a month. I doubt I'd of been able to get the credit approved at the time though. I've been trying to save for a few years now but I'm slowly using the car savings up 😬 really wanted a newer car before winter.
We are rural so can't rely on public transport (£20 ish for 1 adult and 2 kids to go 3 miles down the road and back)

Reactions: 4
I don't think it's crazy. Having an old cheap car would be stressful to me. Also being able to save 1000 a month is rather privileged position. My loan is 5 times less than that and tbh second hand cars market has been crazy.

If you get a house now it's the same, it might go down in value too, so should people not get mortgages?
Getting a loan when you can pay a second hand car for less than a grand makes sense in Ireland. Which is why it is mostly wealthy people who can afford such loans. Different countries different rules.

1000€ in savings is indeed a privileged position. Our average saving rate is about 550€ per month. When you've been made redundant and face another potential job loss in less than 2 years, you'd start saving like mad too.

Getting a house now would indeed be crazy as well. At least by Irish standards. Our houses are completely overpriced and the quality is way lower than the 80s-90s.

Reactions: 1
I have been really slack last few weeks as I try to cycle to work to save petrol etc. I must get back on it. I also walked a couple of times over the summer so I know if I have to do without a car I can manage.

I would hate to have to drive/park at a station then commute to London. Life is too short and it is so expensive now.

I hate this new trend of developers who build houses made of tissue.

A new development is being built in my neighbourhood with a starting price of 450k but you barely have any garden and parking for 1 car.

People are spending close to half a million to hear their neighbours next door. It is ridiculous.
In a small town where a relative lives they are demolishing 16 houses and building 70 in their place! They're going to be packed in like sardines and for a premium too I imagine.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I've always had lovely cheap runarounds - the old style ka's, an old fiat ... We got a rangey on finance 🙈 and it was a lovely drive - we ended up selling it to we buy any car when it came to the 3 years 😅 now I'm in another cheaper runaround and whilst I like it and it gets me from a to be ... The range was lovely and comfy and warm and full of mod cons - never thought I'd miss a car! I don't mind what I drove as such but it sure was nice!

I've always had lovely cheap runarounds - the old style ka's, an old fiat ... We got a rangey on finance 🙈 and it was a lovely drive - we ended up selling it to we buy any car when it came to the 3 years 😅 now I'm in another cheaper runaround and whilst I like it and it gets me from a to be ... The range was lovely and comfy and warm and full of mod cons - never thought I'd miss a car! I don't mind what I drove as such but it sure was nice!
We buy any cat 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I work with people who are always going on about their cars and silly things like a stone scratching the alloys and how it cost him £90 to get it buffed out. Another one pays a fortune for a car to rent but can only do X miles a year and then has to use his partners old car as he's out of miles. It all gets a bit silly to me.

I'm happy if mine starts and doesn't cost much each year to pass the MOT test. I would never get one that I'm precious about, life is too short.

• Wow
Reactions: 23
I'm happy if mine starts and doesn't cost much each year to pass the MOT test. I would never get one that I'm precious about, life is too short.
This! My bil is always going on about his car getting scratched by people trying to pass through the small gaps in parking spaces at the supermarket or someone dinging his door. I'm glad with our old runabouts, do the job and we get to save a fair amount.

Reactions: 7
I have always had older cars but 3 years ago when my husband blew mine up (accidentally I should add), we weren’t in a position to buy another one outright so I leased the one I have now. It’s a lot of car for £230 a month and I no longer have to worry about breakdowns and repairs as such as it’s still only done 12,000 miles. I will pay off the bubble payment next year and then it’s mine. It’s also still worth what I paid for it.

We worked out that the old car cost £110 a month averaged out over the 2 years it lasted- in repairs/MOT failures/AA! It had no mod cons and I constantly worried about the next problem.

I can definitely see the pros and cons of both, leasing has been a stop gap for us during harder times.

Reactions: 7
I can see the pros and cons of leasing etc. I've only ever bought second hand, but I am concerned more now about safety. I'd want to do full checks if I ever bought another one to make sure it wasn't an insurance write off or something. I can see why people would want a new car for that reason.

I was considering buying one second hand a few months ago, but gone are the days when you can pick up a reasonable old car for less than £2k. Prices have skyrocketed.

Reactions: 4
Chicken thighs are cheaper than breasts and also frozen chicken is sometimes cheaper.
I spend roughly 5 euros on boneless chicken thigh, chuck it in with a heap of vegetables and baby potatoes (all from Aldi) BUT I get four meals out of it. So even if I spend a tenner in total, it's still just €2.50 per meal.

Reactions: 2
We've got a 62 reg Astra that's tipping over the 100,000 miles mark, that we've had for 2 years now. Does us alright to be fair and it's last service/MOT only cost £250. The mechanic (we've been going to him ever since owning cars as he's good friends with my father in law!) said it's a good little car and we should be grateful as they've got a history of reliability apparently.

We only have one car. I never learnt to drive (38yrs old now!), and it's just too expensive to learn now.

Besides my monthly bus pass for work is only £50 and I could never run a car that cheap, so what's the point? I get 2 buses each way to work in my new job and whilst I'm not looking forward to the dark mornings/nights, it still takes less than 45mins each way in total so I'm good. I just pop my headphones in and switch off to the other passengers 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.