Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can't really speak for the situation in the SE as I don't live there. However in the case of my friend, she lives in Scotland and money does go further there. But it is just her and her husband and no kids - they chose to buy a 4 bed house which they mortgaged up to the max. That's what I mean when I say just because you can afford it, doesn't mean you necessarily need it. She could have got a 3 bed house in a decent area for 100k less, but she said herself it was all about the postcode 🙄

Absolutely agreed, I changed jobs this year and my employer has a base in Manchester and Newcastle, as do a lot of similar sized employers in the same industry. It has taken a long time to get here, and the industry is still very London centric, but they are starting to realise there's life outside of the M25 😂
Before the pandemic I was growing my department at work so spent a lot of time looking at comparable/competitor job specs online. There was no difference in the salary between Manc and London, and tbh I’d argue Manc is actually cooler now and your quality of life will be infinitely better.

But yeah there’s brilliant Enployment opportunities. We’re both remote but had to consider that when we took out our keeping up with the Joneses mortgage 😂

Reactions: 1
Sorry but I think comments like this do the north a massive disservice. There are a ton of fabulous employers up here & plenty of opportunities to earn well. Even in the decade I’ve been working post uni the opportunities up north / perception of living there has changed massively for the better in that time which is brilliant as the quality of life up here is so much better, especially with/for a child. There are areas that are in line if not more expensive than London property prices, I’m not even from here have only recently moved up but feel uncomfortable with the idea that no one up here is earning like what, below the UK median wage? That’s just not true?
I didn’t mean to suggest that at all, of course there are opportunities for some, in some sectors, but low pay has always been and remains A very serious issue in a lot of areas in the North East. It is massively offset for some people by quality of life gains, but I lived in the south for 25 years and have been here for 15, and I know where the investment goes. The North is a great place to live, but still massively disadvantaged in lots of ways. The median income income in the North East is £23,400. In Kent it’s £37k and nationally it’s £29,400. The North East has the largest % of deprived areas in the UK, and among the highest levels of joblessness, according to the ONS, and received some of the biggest cuts to local authority grant from government of any other area in the UK. People here are wonderful, community spirit is amazing, and if people are starting to recognise the opportunities here, that’s great. But we had no choice but to take a pay cut when we came home, and I don’t think that’s changed much.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I didn’t mean to suggest that at all, of course there are opportunities for some, in some sectors, but low pay has always been and remains A very serious issue in a lot of areas in the North East. It is massively offset for some people by quality of life gains, but I lived in the south for 25 years and have been here for 15, and I know where the investment goes. The North is a great place to live, but still massively disadvantaged in lots of ways. The median income income in the North East is £23,400. In Kent it’s £37k and nationally it’s £29,400. The North East has the largest % of deprived areas in the UK, and among the highest levels of joblessness, according to the ONS, and received some of the biggest cuts to local authority grant from government of any other area in the UK. People here are wonderful, community spirit is amazing, and if people are starting to recognise the opportunities here, that’s great. But we had no choice but to take a pay cut when we came home, and I don’t think that’s changed much.
I agree with all your points re underinvestment in the north but private and publicly but I don’t think comments about how £60k a year would be riches across the whole of the north are helpful, sorry.

Reactions: 2
With my past experience of the housing market I would say try not to get disillusioned (like I did when house prices doubled and I spent my deposit savings on cheering myself up).
Get yourself as ready as you can until things swing in your favour then you can pounce on the opportunity.
House prices are forecast to crash next year which may work in your favour if you're ready for it.
Not disillusioned here. I’m already comfortably on the housing ladder but that doesn’t take away from the fact that 3 bed terraces in my area go for 550-600k.

A ‘family’ 4 bed detached home is nearing the million mark across the board which is abhorrent - I’m not even in London btw!

Reactions: 7
I agree with all your points re underinvestment in the north but private and publicly but I don’t think comments about how £60k a year would be riches across the whole of the north are helpful, sorry.
Equally, I’m not sure it’s ‘helpful’ to equate the fact that there are expensive housing areas in the North with wage growth, but we’ll need to agree to differ. With 60% of households on some sort of state benefit up here (the highest) compared to 37% in the South, I imagine £60k would represent a very decent living, if not riches, for many. I’ll get my coat.

Reactions: 11
300k wouldn’t even buy you a flat, let alone a house in my area in the SE. What are people supposed to do? Rent forever?
Came on to say similar. No one starting out can afford to do different in the SE.
There is nothing bigger than a 1 bed flat within a 3 mile radius under £300k from me. And plenty of households on £60k and under. So what should people do other than take on frightening levels of debt?

Reactions: 3
Equally, I’m not sure it’s ‘helpful’ to equate the fact that there are expensive housing areas in the North with wage growth, but we’ll need to agree to differ. With 60% of households on some sort of state benefit up here (the highest) compared to 37% in the South, I imagine £60k would represent a very decent living, if not riches, for many. I’ll get my coat.
No need to get ur coat at all? Yours is the more valuable PoV as someone actually from the north. I just personally didn’t agree with the phrasing, and that’s ok? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 1
I'm on a decent wage (50k), and my mortgage was almost 5x my salary, and I bought a mid terrace 2 bed, down in the South West. I'd need another full time salary to be able to afford something where I can't hear my neighbours cough.

Reactions: 6
I feel like a hypocrite, because we sold a very ordinary 3 bed semi in the south and bought a beautiful renovated stone farmhouse in the country up here for a lot less. But we couldn’t ever change our minds and go back - slow property growth means our money wouldn’t even buy that semi now…..

Money is all relative to some extent we cut out cloth to fit and try to live within means.
In South west a 3 bed terrace now is least 300k.
Bus fares just gone up.
We can only afford run1 car.
I think big issue past 12 months has been uncertainty.
We decided we not borrowing more to extend we 4 kids In 3 bed our mortgage likely to go from £858 next year as 6 year fixed ends could be as high as £1500.
We turning front room into a bedroom instead.

I don't think 18months ago anyone could have forseen such a rise in mortage rates, inflation , rise in food prices and energy .
We felt so well off in 2020.
2022 we on slightly more income and feel poor.

We had no holiday this year.
Don't really think can afford one next year.
Everyone income right now is uncertain.
As we have no ides what next useless government will do regarding taxation and rises in benefits/pensions in line with inflation.
I can't see how some taxes won't rise.
Everyone on strike but few will get the payrises they need to meet cost of living.
Wish mine or husband company offered cost of living bonus.
Daughter works for Iceland and getting 15% staff discount so we might try Iceland food warehouse in nov.

Now I'm working 3.5 days finding harder find time to shop around.
My nearest supermarket can walk to is morrisions but its crazy prices.
Lilds and aldi next door but they going up loads.
Do 1 big tesco once month.
Don't find nearest marks that cheap maybe I'm going wrong time.
Seldom coop these days availability patchy, high priced and the drinks chillers switch off to save energy
Asda just too far as is sainsbury go there regular.

Today Lilds had no basic tinned tomatoes
No puree..no passatta no ketchup what's going on with tomato products.
Noticed huge rise in frozen chips
No boil in bag rice been out stock 2 weeks
They did have value penne but no spagetti at 32p gone upto 35 p aldi and 45p morrisions same pasta same weight.
The sanitary towels Lilds 10p rise was 49p forever now 59p they still 49p aldi so bulk brought a few before they go up again.
Cheap shampoo/ conditioner lidls 4p rise 55p to 59p but same / similar aldi version is 69p so 10p more as they next to one another i compare mostly they copy each other.

Lilds frozen chips a bag that was 99p 12months ago maybe less us now £1.59 prefer aldi range chips but they gone up too.
Wanted start xmas dinner shop but hassleback potatoes not in lilds yet other festive deluxe stuff is.

Aldi 20p rise in own brand ketchup Wish I had brought more thats a steep rise.
Basic tomatoes had been 28p forever now 32p I'm sure other rises I forgotten those ones I noticed.
Glad I stockpiled tinned tomatoes and value pasta now but I still need bulk buy passatta and puree whilst it's still 39p.
Did read would be issue with tomatoes and rice would start to rise.
Standard pasta tesco and morrisions is 90p bag predicted might be quid before Xmas now that feels realistic.

Popped to corner shop get my fussy dog his ceaser they had none..
The store owner was I'm struggling get load of stuff and stuff I can get massive price increase he says the news headline 14% food inflation deceiving.
More like 20/30% somethings.
Sky news have inflation tracker so can enter any product.
A4 paper 43% rise so maybe paper issue as seen big rises in loo roll.
Food items we assume poor harvests on oil, durum wheat, tomatoes and potatoes are increase some products.
All meat seems expensive beef mince still reasonable.

I'm trying to keep to £600 months so 150 a week for 2 adults 4 kids 1 dog.
Includes cleaning, bathroom, dog food.
Food storage bags ect it's hard need tally up but think exceeded.
But im truing buy extra every week which is helping mitigate some of the rises.
Over summer August I just brought less stock pile but now I'm I stockpile mode again as buying usual weekly.
Gong to have a very full pantry nov plan is batch cook and freeze .
Going to make and freeze 4 meals tommorow.
Want buy Xmas food early.
Nov want buy loads of long life grocery, cleaning and bathroom.
Then December focus on reductions so Need make freezer space and run down reduced bread.
Plan is jan and feb hardly shop at at all.
Half term and kids packed lunches really causing some increase.
Crisps and Carton drinks silly money.

• Heart
I'm really struggling. The kids are off school this week (scottish holidays) and they just don't stop eating. I go to Aldi every other day for snacks things like grapes, sausage rolls and cold meat. It's constant. I can't afford to do anything with them because days out and expensive. It's also chucking it down here. I'm so fed up of them moaning they are bored.

They could also do with new trainers that I simply can't afford atm and they keep asking for things that again I can't afford. 😑

I'm on 26k. Hubby is on 48k. We pay 850 per month mortgage, 280 council tax, 420 on cars, 315 gas and electric and all the other bills good, fuel, virgin media etc. We are the squeezed middle.
Jesus where in Scotland are you living with council tax that high. It must be at least a F band

I'm on a decent wage (50k), and my mortgage was almost 5x my salary, and I bought a mid terrace 2 bed, down in the South West. I'd need another full time salary to be able to afford something where I can't hear my neighbours cough.
I hate this new trend of developers who build houses made of tissue.

A new development is being built in my neighbourhood with a starting price of 450k but you barely have any garden and parking for 1 car.

People are spending close to half a million to hear their neighbours next door. It is ridiculous.

I was trying to explain that life will come crashing down shortly for a lot of people living on the never never with leased cars etc. She said it was the banks fault and I disagree, just because someone is offering to loan you the money doesn't mean you should take it. It's as if no one has learnt anything since the last crash.
Agreed, cars on finance is another one. I know many people who jumped at the chance to get a Range Rover on PCP, despite living in a city with plenty of transport links and only using it for the weekly trip to the supermarket. Just a massive money drain.

I was chatting to a friend earlier and she was saying her mortgage has gone up by over 500 a month. Turns out she and her husband are on a moderate combined income (60k) yet their mortgage was for 300k, 5x their annual income. I find this crazy, technically yes they can afford it but there is so much "keeping up with the Jones" going on.

The thought of taking on that amount of debt terrifies me! Maybe I'm just very cautious but I've always thought just because you CAN take on a huge debt, doesn't mean you should. I live alone and have 60k left on my mortgage with an annual salary of 40k for reference, and the last few years I've certainly felt pressure from my social circle to upgrade. I don't have a flash detached home but it suits me just fine. It really seems like people don't want to live well within their means anymore.
If I may ask, how long is the average mortgage in Britain? In France I would say 20 years average but most people have a fixed rate the whole time (although you can try to renegotiate if you want). Reading here, I feel that most British people just have a fixed rate for a few years.

Agreed, cars on finance is another one. I know many people who jumped at the chance to get a Range Rover on PCP, despite living in a city with plenty of transport links and only using it for the weekly trip to the supermarket. Just a massive money drain.
My friend tried to convince me getting a car on lease is the best thing. He pays at least £300 a month for his car, yes it’s brand new but I don’t care about that, I’d rather save the money. I paid £500 for my car 3 years ago, it’s 17 years old now but my dad looked now and it’s worth £1200 due to the increase in prices 🤯.
I thought I may need a new car this year because I didn’t know if it would be worth paying to fix if it failed the MOT, which it did and we did fix it and it cost £600. Didn’t get the air con fixed though will probably regret that in summer 😂. Probably worth it especially as hopefully now it’ll pass next year as we got all the main advisories fixed as well. My friend was saying how it’s worth the less as it’s a safer car, newer showing me all the features but I feel safe in my car, I barely drive as I hate driving anyway so why would I want to spend hundreds a month on a car. I’d rather save £300 a month for a holiday 🤷‍♀️
I’m trying to save £500 a month for a new car as I’m sure I’ll need one soon and I’d rather buy one outright. My target is around £6k for a new car as I only want a little city car.

Reactions: 9
All the people that I know who use loans for cars earn insane money (150k-500k) but don't want to use their savings for a depreciating asset.

Unless I was wealthy as hell, I'd NEVER take a loan for a car. I'd rather pay 5-10k out if pocket and save my money every month in peace.

Reactions: 12
I couldn't be on with a new car. My BIL earns alot and has a fancy pants car, last year there was a storm and the wind blew something onto his car and smashed the roof in. Cost him £3k to fix. In contrast, my entire car cost £1200 lmao. I appreciate they look nicer, but at the end of the day if it gets me from A to B I couldn't care less.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
All the people that I know who use loans for cars earn insane money (150k-500k) but don't want to use their savings for a depreciating asset.

Unless I was wealthy as hell, I'd NEVER take a loan for a car. I'd rather pay 5-10k out if pocket and save my money every month in peace.
Exactly I don’t know how my friend affords it as I earn 30k a year and he earns a quite a few thousand less than me. My option for if I did need a new car this year was a 0% card for 2 years which I should’ve been able to pay off within that time but luckily I didn’t need it. I’m just working on my savings again now as I bought a house so now only have 2k in savings. I was lucky getting my house on a 5 year fixed deal on 2.14% starting in June just before the prices went up.

• Heart

That's cause you can pay 5-10k out of pocket? We just got a house last year so all savings went for that and I had to get a car, what are people in that position supposed to do? Could save for a year and be without a car for all that time and get a really cheap second hand car, get a loan and get a decent second hand car, or get on PCP. I chose to get a loan

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.