Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nipped into the COOP for a few bits and the prices were so abhorrent I left. People used to say beans on toast was a struggle meal and I doubt many could even afford that now. It's bleeping immoral.
I thought Morrisons prices were diabolical at the weekend. £4.75 for frozen chips and £3.99 for roast potatoes. Are they actually insane? I came out with the bare minimum and I only buy things if they are close to their old price. I refuse to pay stupid amounts.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I thought Morrisons prices were diabolical at the weekend. £4.75 for frozen chips and £3.99 for roast potatoes. Are they actually insane? I came out with the bare minimum and I only buy things if they are close to their old price. I refuse to pay stupid amounts.
You would be better off finding a place that sells sacks of potatoes. I leave mine in a cool dark place and last for ages. even if they sprout a bit I just rub those off or plant them

Or you could part cook them and freeze them in whatever format you want them in.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
You would be better off finding a place that sells sacks of potatoes. I leave mine in a cool dark place and last for ages. even if they sprout a bit I just rub those off or plant them

Or you could part cook them and freeze them in whatever format you want them in.
Yep same as you, leave spuds in a dark place. Only frozen spuds I buy are the skinny chips!

Reactions: 6
Nipped into the COOP for a few bits and the prices were so abhorrent I left. People used to say beans on toast was a struggle meal and I doubt many could even afford that now. It's bleeping immoral.
I buy the 25p baked beans from Sainsburys, they're quite nice. The bread's gone up to 90p a loaf, but still a cheap meal.

Reactions: 5

I do buy potatoes too 🙂 it’s just a couple of things that stood out to me while I was shopping. I wasn’t buying them and I wouldn’t at that price 😅

Reactions: 2
CO-OP has always been more expensive. It was the closest shop to my sister within walking distance at the time though.

Reactions: 3
We've gone from having takeaway pizza to getting the £6 ASDA meal deal. 2 pizzas, a bottle of fizzy pop and a £5.49 voucher for a movie from the sky store. Much better than the £20+ we would spend on just eat

• Heart
Reactions: 16
On the subject of ice cream, we decided to treat ourselves on the last day of our holiday this week. 3 small tubs with two scoops each came to just under £20 👀 Thankfully I shared with the toddler otherwise I would have keeled over at paying over £20 for the 4 of us!

We've gone from having takeaway pizza to getting the £6 ASDA meal deal. 2 pizzas, a bottle of fizzy pop and a £5.49 voucher for a movie from the sky store. Much better than the £20+ we would spend on just eat
My eldest loves getting a takeaway pizza for the novelty of opening the front door 🙈 However the last delivery we had cost just over £30 for pizza and delivery. It was Domino's so not even terribly exotic pizza! But I think I might try and convince him to try the ASDA deal or even from their pizza counter. But it's the convience of the delivery 🙄

Reactions: 5
I keep saying this but M&S can be great value if you shop carefully. Their meal deals are nice quality and the family ones for £15 can stretch to 3 meals for us two. Nice quality wholemeal bread is under £1 - a week of toast - and if you shop mindfully, great ingredients and yellow sticker deals. I think everyone is shopping differently, noticing more.

Reactions: 13
I keep saying this but M&S can be great value if you shop carefully. Their meal deals are nice quality and the family ones for £15 can stretch to 3 meals for us two. Nice quality wholemeal bread is under £1 - a week of toast - and if you shop mindfully, great ingredients and yellow sticker deals. I think everyone is shopping differently, noticing more.
I keep saying this too, and people look at me like I’ve grown another head.

Reactions: 8
On the subject of ice cream, we decided to treat ourselves on the last day of our holiday this week. 3 small tubs with two scoops each came to just under £20 👀 Thankfully I shared with the toddler otherwise I would have keeled over at paying over £20 for the 4 of us!

My eldest loves getting a takeaway pizza for the novelty of opening the front door 🙈 However the last delivery we had cost just over £30 for pizza and delivery. It was Domino's so not even terribly exotic pizza! But I think I might try and convince him to try the ASDA deal or even from their pizza counter. But it's the convience of the delivery 🙄
Their pizza counter deal is what we buy 🙂 You can claim a £5.49 Sky voucher or a free ticket dor VUE cinema within 7 days of buying the deal.

Reactions: 6
I think the shops will have to lower their prices or they will end up with fridges and freezers full of overpriced food that nobody will buy. A staff member in Morrisons said to me that they won’t even shop there themselves and that people will just stop coming in if they keep rising prices.

Reactions: 12
We do this with waitrose, they quite often do Indian 2x mains 2x sides for £10. 1x main with the sides is enough for the 3 of us so I freeze one and then buy sides for the next time in aldi

Reactions: 4
We do this with waitrose, they quite often do Indian 2x mains 2x sides for £10. 1x main with the sides is enough for the 3 of us so I freeze one and then buy sides for the next time in aldi
M+S isn’t as expensive as some think. It’s even better at the end of the day with their yellow stickers. I appreciate this is useless information for parents picking up small children from school, sorry.

Reactions: 9
M+S isn’t as expensive as some think. It’s even better at the end of the day with their yellow stickers. I appreciate this is useless information for parents picking up small children from school, sorry.
We always used to go to m&s after swimming lessons, it's right next to the pool and they were usually reducing stuff further. Think my best yellow stickers were 90% off. We've swapped swimming pools now so don't go often as it's 10 miles away

Reactions: 2
Their pizza counter deal is what we buy 🙂 You can claim a £5.49 Sky voucher or a free ticket dor VUE cinema within 7 days of buying the deal.
Oh fab! That's really helpful, thank you so much. And it really is good value. Pleasantly surprised by that.

We usually get a takeaway for a pay day treat but may send Mr Biscuits to investigate this Friday 😊

I love the m&s bread and ploughman's sauces

I get vouchers for m&s from using swagbucks (a survey site but you can gain points other ways) and using the bing app / web browser as you can convert the points to vouchers - I get an average of £15 a month from these now as I don't really do the surverys much at the moment but it's very little time spent daily to get what I get - I used Martin Lewis link for the swagbucks app and it gave me extra points to convert to vouchers - it does say Amazon but they also have PayPal etc it's just I use mine for m&s

I applaud your industry - I can’t even be bothered to download money saving apps!

Reactions: 1
Yes I'm not too keen on apps in general and I've really gone off the survey aspect but I don't do too much now and I like the little rewards every now and again ☺

I'm interested to see what our next bill is for the gas and electric - we are already in credit and I've barely had the lights on / used the appliances this past week and I don't have a smart meter to check the usage as such (8 can see what we've used but no idea what it equates to money wise)

off to put fuel in the car tomorrow and I'm sure that's creeping up in price again - sorry no idea how this is in bold 😅

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.