Discontent #8 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

What i dont understand is why energy reserves are so slow. We have just been through a pandemic. A global shutdown. Why didnt governments use that time to up reserves and think about self sufficiency?
Half of the UK's gas comes from the north sea and 1/3rd is from reliable Norway. Also it has 3 LPG terminals allowing it to import gas from anywhere. So it does make sense to not go to the expense of having vast gas storage. Decommissioned units are expected to come back soon to double it https://www.thechemicalengineer.com...pply-shortages-could-force-industry-closures/

Germany got most of its gas from hostile Russia and has no LPG terminals to get it elsewhere. So does make perfect sense that they'd invest to have 20 times more storage than the UK as their sources are 20 times more vulnerable. They should have done something other than just have more storage back in 2014 when Russia grabbed Crimea!

Reactions: 3
Do people still buy laptops without a SSD?

They're so cheap now (this one is 22). Stick the system files on there and no need to ever defrag.

Amazon product
I have no idea what that is 😆 mines a hp, had it 3 years and runs fine. My one drive is full though so need to sort that out

Reactions: 1
I only have 6 quid on my asda app, we dont really shop thier but im useing it to pay for my christmas chocolate.

Reactions: 3
My last laptop was fantastic had it around 3 1/2 years I think & still just as fast as Day1.
This 1 even when it says i'm down to 3% memory( it got that low Yesterday) is still fast. It's something temp I think as I can get it back to over 40%
I'm One of those people who if i'm awake my Laptops on as I use it as a tv etc

Reactions: 2
Intrigued by the ASDA Rewards app chat. Had it about three weeks and managed to get £13 without trying *too hard*. But I do wonder if that was the hook to get me in. We'll see how it progresses but they are still much cheaper for my weekly shop than Tesco or Sainsbury's so am inclined to stay.

-------

Got caught in a down pour last night so OH lit the fire for the first time. Within a couple of hours the room temperature jumped from 19C to 22C and seems to have retained it well into this morning. Calculated we have about a month's worth of wood so may need to do some maths to work out whether it's more cost effective to blast the heating in the evenings for a couple of hours or build a fire.

Reactions: 4
Do you clean it regularly? I use CCleaner and it's amazing how fast my PC/laptop runs after a good clean including a registry clean Disable things that hog memory at startup, and remove programmes you don't need. update old drivers.

I only buy old PC and laptops and mine are very fast. even though I use it all day. It's not the internet as I live in a small village where its hit and miss. my actual machines run smoothly
Do people still defrag? I run it on my laptop occasionally and it always speeds it right up. HP laptop around 6 years old, still functions like new.
Thanks for the tips, will try them 👍

Reactions: 1
Hopefully not but concerning they’re even mentioning it.

I am honestly perplexed with the amount of security guards there are now in shops and supermarkets. Local Sainsbury's, isn't even that big and they have 4 burly guys walking up and down the isles. Asda has 3 guys. B&M again not huge has 2-3 guys. Local Aldi has now employed one. Mad but they must have seen an increase in shoplifting.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I'm thinking planned blackouts might be likely. Our leccy goes off occasionally anyway due to local faults so I've got a few forms of emergency lighting, power banks, candles etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I am honestly perplexed with the amount of security guards there are now in shops and supermarkets. Local Sainsbury's, isn't even that big and they have 4 burly guys walking up and down the isles. Asda has 3 guys. B&M again not huge has 2-3 guys. Local Aldi has now employed one. Mad but they must have seen an increase in shoplifting.
Also the same in my local Sainsbury's. Before they had just one guy on the monitor. The now have two people there and one extra person at the self service. Aldi has just one huge man.

The M&S security guy throughout the summer was someone who looked like a sixth former. Poundland has the most intimidating security guard out of all of them and I've just felt uncomfortable walking in even though I'm not stealing anything.

Reactions: 2

Yel

The UK power network has been underinvested in for decades. Before this whole situation it's been close to having power shortages.

I'm envious of those with a wood burner. Although it'll probably never come to blackouts it must be nice to know it's there!

Reactions: 10
I was a nervous wreck when I was in the supermarket and realised I'd left my phone on the passenger seat of my car so had to leave my trolley, run past the security guard I'd just walked in past, to get to the car park. All the while expecting to be rugby tackled to the ground! 😄😄🙄
Probably cos I got a telling off from the Police for leaving my old cardigan on the car seat. Seems that old cardis are hot property for thieves. 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Power NI finally adjusted my electric payment, more than doubled the direct debit amount and we aren’t sore on electricity by any means 😳

What i dont understand is why energy reserves are so slow. We have just been through a pandemic. A global shutdown. Why didnt governments use that time to up reserves and think about self sufficiency?

Ive had my Macbook for 4 years. No sign of slowing up working perfectly
UK has nowhere to store gas even if it was handed to them on a plate .

Half of the UK's gas comes from the north sea and 1/3rd is from reliable Norway. Also it has 3 LPG terminals allowing it to import gas from anywhere. So it does make sense to not go to the expense of having vast gas storage. Decommissioned units are expected to come back soon to double it https://www.thechemicalengineer.com...pply-shortages-could-force-industry-closures/

Germany got most of its gas from hostile Russia and has no LPG terminals to get it elsewhere. So does make perfect sense that they'd invest to have 20 times more storage than the UK as their sources are 20 times more vulnerable. They should have done something other than just have more storage back in 2014 when Russia grabbed Crimea!
My step dad works offshore in oil and gas (he actually works on decommissioning North Sea rigs) and he says those in the industry have seen this coming for years.

What do you use for spreadsheets, I tried the online version of excel but can't get comfortable with it.
Have you tried google sheets?

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.