Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh I don't mind not being able to take it out, I just don't want to start paying more!

My mother has decided that she's going to move to the retirement village she went to look at last week, once an apartment she likes becomes available, which is going to bring her bills down a lot - she's currently heating a 4-bedroom house to about 28C for 12 hours a day, so moving to a 1-bed flat will make a big, big difference.
That's what my mum did last year and I'm so pleased. She was in a draughty 3 bed semi and now moved to a 2 bed flat that is never cold.

I don't worry about her as much now which is good for my health 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I do worry about my parents as they have an ancient central heating system that's at least 40 years old. Apparently they had it installed because I was on the way 😳 All through the summer the heating has been coming on for an hour each morning and evening as they're afraid of the boiler conking out. They really should be thinking of an upgrade but they're very against it. Fortunately I don't think cost would be an issue but I am afraid of how much their energy bills will be this winter.

I ordered 3 oodies the other day, one for me and the kids one each.

I have a generic Amazon one at the moment so Im intrigued to see if the branded is any better.
Hubby got me an oodie fir my birthday last year and its great!! In fact its boiling! 😂

Reactions: 2
I wore my other sister’s fake oodie version from M&S.Tempted to order an oodie as well but it’s the price putting me off for even the cheapest at £59.

I’m lucky to be relatively solvent now, but in my 20’s and 30’s was a working single parent who always seemed to earn just enough not to qualify for any additional help. Son (now in his 30’s!) reminded me how at the end of the month, we’d share a tin of tomatoes on toast, 15p (!) and how much he enjoyed it because it meant payday (and biscuits) were close. So he’d popped out and got a tin of toms and had a nostalgic tea - but with black pepper and a grating of Parmesan - he enjoyed it on two levels! I did the same last night. Yummy. But tomatoes now 70p….
You've reminded me how much I love tinned toms on toast!!! Putting it on my list of lunches for next week

Reactions: 4
That's what my mum did last year and I'm so pleased. She was in a draughty 3 bed semi and now moved to a 2 bed flat that is never cold.

I don't worry about her as much now which is good for my health 😅
That's so good to hear - I'm hoping it'll be similar for me, as I'm 600 miles away. Apparently there's a button in each flat marked I'M OKAY and they have to push it each morning if they're not away somewhere, if it doesn't get done by a certain time someone comes round to check!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Gosh, it's chilly tonight and we're only in mid September. Dreading the coming months 🙁
The first cold spells are a shock to the system, by winter we are more acclimatised to it.

It was 7°c outside where I live yesterday ( according to the weather app) , we have the heating on in the evenings in the winter , and the temp might not even be as low as that

I was a bit chilly yesterday for the first time since summer. That just meant a jumper on and moving around a bit. I am still airing the house with windows open and it's been fab drying weather. Thicker duvet is now on and I am drinking hot drinks instead of cold. I'm in the mood for soup making as it warms me up. Definitely not ready for heating on yet it. It's a bit weird gardening when it's chilly, more of a chore than pleasure.

Reactions: 8
That's so good to hear - I'm hoping it'll be similar for me, as I'm 600 miles away. Apparently there's a button in each flat marked I'M OKAY and they have to push it each morning if they're not away somewhere, if it doesn't get done by a certain time someone comes round to check!
ah thats great. My mum doesnt have anything like that as she isnt in assisted living, just a £normal" flat. But she whatsapps me and my sister every morning to let us know she is ok. She hadn't messaged by 8:49 this morning so I messaged asking if she is alive haha. Thankfully she was, just having a lie in!

Reactions: 5
Heating doesn't go on until around end of October for us. It is still ac weather here during the day but nights are cooler around 7 degrees. Our house is very insulated though so the temp stays at around 20.

I'm dreading winter. Our house gets down to 6 degrees (day) in Jan/Feb and for the rest of the time it sits between 8-12. It's already down to 15 from our summer highs of 18 (lol) and I can feel the difference so much, I've had to put the heating on which we can't afford because oil prices are astronomical these days. Usually we'd just suffer it out but we have a baby now and can't do that anymore. Honestly don't know what we are going to do. We spend a good £500+ more per month now than we make and debt is just mounting, but what can you do? duck all. I've said it before but it really does feel like they are pricing everyone out of life to achieve that "You'll own nothing and be happy" vibe. It makes me so upset because I want so badly for our little boy to have things like his own decorated room and I know that sounds so daft in the scheme of things but we won't ever be able to give him that because we are struggling so much to just stay afloat nevermind earn extra to be able to get our own home. It all just feels pointless now. You work your life away to have the bare minimum and barely see your loved ones. It's not living.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Just put ours on for 1hr 40 cost £1.29, and its not even as cold as it'll be in Nov/Dec i'm assuming

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Yes, but the plus side is the Queen is getting an amazing send-off
Sorry but can't help it. just been called a traitor on FB for daring to suggest its all very over the top when even working people are having to use the foodbank
Honestly you're right, and it's p vulgar to be spending a tonne on a state funeral just now. She saved clothing coupons for her wedding dress in immediately post-war Britain when rationing was still still in effect, ffs. That wasn't necessary, but not to would have been unseemly.

Absolutely hate a food bank in a school, jfc.

I’m lucky to be relatively solvent now, but in my 20’s and 30’s was a working single parent who always seemed to earn just enough not to qualify for any additional help. Son (now in his 30’s!) reminded me how at the end of the month, we’d share a tin of tomatoes on toast, 15p (!) and how much he enjoyed it because it meant payday (and biscuits) were close. So he’d popped out and got a tin of toms and had a nostalgic tea - but with black pepper and a grating of Parmesan - he enjoyed it on two levels! I did the same last night. Yummy. But tomatoes now 70p….
I loved this story, thank you for sharing. I've got some memories like that from my childhood and teens which aren't even bittersweet, just a cute memory of that time with my mam.
I hope my kid has some 'bright side' memories of the daft stuff we do to stay busy and have adventures on a shoestring, and the weird end-of-month concoctions I do my best with, and I think all of the parents struggling now and soon should bear this stuff in mind and not grind themselves down too much with what they weren't able to give their kids.

Kids remember what they had, what they did, how they felt and who they were with - they never know what you'd hoped they could have had/done. 🖤🖤🖤🖤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Was looking at the oodie and weighted blanket bundles. Has anyone tried the blankets and if they’re worth it compared to other brands?

Honestly you're right, and it's p vulgar to be spending a tonne on a state funeral just now. She saved clothing coupons for her wedding dress in immediately post-war Britain when rationing was still still in effect, ffs. That wasn't necessary, but not to would have been unseemly.

I loved this story, thank you for sharing. I've got some memories like that from my childhood and teens which aren't even bittersweet, just a cute memory of that time with my mam.
I hope my kid has some 'bright side' memories of the daft stuff we do to stay busy and have adventures on a shoestring, and the weird end-of-month concoctions I do my best with, and I think all of the parents struggling now and soon should bear this stuff in mind and not grind themselves down too much with what they weren't able to give their kids.

Kids remember what they had, what they did, how they felt and who they were with - they never know what you'd hoped they could have had/done. 🖤🖤🖤🖤
This is the mindset I’m trying to cling to at the moment. I ran up a lot of debt when my eldest daughters father died. I developed a habit of buying things to try and mask my grief and also to compensate her for her loss. Obviously very silly in hindsight and I’m painfully paying the price now with a big chuck of my monthly wage going to pay it off. It actually gives my a lot of anxiety and I have a lot of guilt about not being able to take my youngest on holidays now etc.

It’s going to be a tough Christmas again but I really try to make memories that don’t cost a lot. Just today we had a lovely day at a local National Trust site as they had a free entry event on. I just hope they look back on their childhood and don’t feel that they missed out.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This is the mindset I’m trying to cling to at the moment. I ran up a lot of debt when my eldest daughters father died. I developed a habit of buying things to try and mask my grief and also to compensate her for her loss. Obviously very silly in hindsight and I’m painfully paying the price now with a big chuck of my monthly wage going to pay it off. It actually gives my a lot of anxiety and I have a lot of guilt about not being able to take my youngest on holidays now etc.

It’s going to be a tough Christmas again but I really try to make memories that don’t cost a lot. Just today we had a lovely day at a local National Trust site as they had a free entry event on. I just hope they look back on their childhood and don’t feel that they missed out.
They will 🖤

Did this come off a little bit saccharine?

Like obviously teens are gonna want stuff their mates have in the moment, and that won't feel great for us, but ultimately that's not what they're gonna hold resentment over, they'll hold those lovely memories and funny moments closest. Maybe by the time they have kids of their own or whatever they'll understand*. And maybe feel guilt for the demands 😂.**

* it's me, I got there a while back
** yep. I tell my mum how grateful I am for those sacrifices and effort and memories now at every chance I get. And I apologise for my behaviour from like 12 all the way to 25 tbh 😂😂😂

Last edited:
They will 🖤

Did this come off a little bit saccharine?

Like obviously teens are gonna want stuff their mates have in the moment, and that won't feel great for us, but ultimately that's not what they're gonna hold resentment over, they'll hold those lovely memories and funny moments closest. Maybe by the time they have kids of their own or whatever they'll understand*. And maybe feel guilt for the demands 😂.**

* it's me, I got there a while back
** yep. I tell my mum how grateful I am for those sacrifices and effort and memories now at every chance I get. And I apologise for my behaviour from like 12 all the way to 25 tbh 😂😂😂
No it didn’t come across that way at all! And you are so right, now that Im a mother of 3 like my own mother was I can appreciate all the things she did for us. I was the tear away child of the 3 aswell so yep, lots of apologies here too 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I think parent guilt is definitely a thing. We didn't have holidays growing up, but we had a lot of day trips that we loved. Even things like going to the local canal for a picnic and blackberry picking.

I've felt guilty as I couldn't take my daughter on holiday this year, and I've had to work 4 weeks of the summer holidays, but we've still made lots of memories and done fun days and that's what she's gonna remember. That's what counts.

And yes, Christmas is gonna be lean this year, but I'm saving to get the present she really wants, I've bought a few little things throughout the year for Christmas and she's gonna have an amazing day.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I think parent guilt is definitely a thing. We didn't have holidays growing up, but we had a lot of day trips that we loved. Even things like going to the local canal for a picnic and blackberry picking.

I've felt guilty as I couldn't take my daughter on holiday this year, and I've had to work 4 weeks of the summer holidays, but we've still made lots of memories and done fun days and that's what she's gonna remember. That's what counts.

And yes, Christmas is gonna be lean this year, but I'm saving to get the present she really wants, I've bought a few little things throughout the year for Christmas and she's gonna have an amazing day.
you sound like such a lovely mummy. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Business support hasn't been confirmed yet, will initially run for 6 months (then reviewed) & might be delayed until November, but backdated to Oct. Some businesses will be in dire straits very soon & any support might just be too late.
They are keeping businesses hanging

Latest is mini budget means scrapping cap on bankers bonuses.
Mogg also wants take away Right to holiday pay.
Pound crashed to all time low.

We to aldi last night dident have energy go anywhere bigger as was late and tired.
Availability very patchy can think of a few things couldn't get

Pain au chocolat.
Greek yogurt
Peach snapppes
Squash
Wanted buy chicken fillets but no offers
Even super six crap deals

The store was dirty and the queues were large.
Shop floor looked a mess bit dident want risk lidls as that's been even worse
I spent £100 on mostly evening meals and packed lunch items/, snacks.
Not sure if this last us full 7days or not I have some extra meals planned with existing stuff in house but my fridge was empty..
Hopefully get few magic bags this week.

Availability and couldn't face large tesco.
Did pop into metro tesco coco pops now 85p were 79p July when last brought.
Also they dident stock value carton drinks for lunch boxes.
Bourbons now 45p was 39p.
Noodles 32p were 22p.

Had email octopus energy saying they suspending marketing/ advertising
Potting charges standing 4% lower than the cap and want to work with struggling customers.

Popping into lidls this morning see what's what.
Had planned batch cook this weekend now not so so sure.
Meal planned 7 meals in my head around aldi..

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.