Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else feel like the supermarkets are getting bear again ….for the last week I’ve really struggled to buy fresh meat , nappies in size 6 , bottled water and then just bare parts of some of the shelves ….it’s very odd 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
We went to asda today and the shelves were empty everywhere...the place looked like it had been ransacked! Not sure if they just needed a good restock or what but I'd never seen it look so empty

Reactions: 2
Who is your supplier? The standing charges are not bad. Mine are much higher and I am with Octopus Energy.

Electricity standing charge - 35.86p/day

Gas standing charge - 25.92p/day
We don’t have those suppliers in NI our electricity is different to the mainland 70% of people here have oil heating.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Depends on location mines 52.64p a day for electricity and 28.49p for gas
Gosh didn’t realise standing charges varied so much depending on location. 😨

They should completely scrap standing charges. 🥲

We don’t have those suppliers in NI our electricity is different to the mainland 70% of people here have oil heating.
Ah right! Thanks for clarifying. 🙂

Gosh didn’t realise standing charges varied so much depending on location. 😨

They should completely scrap standing charges. 🥲
Yea it went up from 24p to 51p in April and then Oct will be another 1p. I think some other areas are now having the bigger jump like we had April

Does anyone have a soup maker?
I have a Murphy Richards one it has two settings for thicker or thinner soups and a blend function if people want different consistency. I've added half a packet of noodles to a carrot and potato base mix before, the kids loved it.
I take it on holiday too.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have a Murphy Richards one it has two settings for thicker or thinner soups and a blend function if people want different consistency. I've added half a packet of noodles to a carrot and potato base mix before, the kids loved it.
I take it on holiday too.
We've got a similar one though ours has a drink function aswell
Morphy Richards Compact Soup Maker 501021, the 1l version is £32.99, theres also a 1.6l with saute & pause functions thats £57.49.

Does anyone else feel like the supermarkets are getting bear again ….for the last week I’ve really struggled to buy fresh meat , nappies in size 6 , bottled water and then just bare parts of some of the shelves ….it’s very odd 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
I went to my local supermarket and the freezers were completely empty! Not a thing in there!

• Wow
I popped into Aldi on Tuesday and couldn't believe how sparse the shelves were, especially the veg and meat aisles. I don't go in there very often - just once a month to buy loo roll and cleaning products but it didn't look good. I don't think you could've done a proper weekly food shop in there.

Yes, definitely a lot more facing across going on near me. And when items go out of stock they take longer to reappear. I tend to resort to Amazon Fresh when I can’t get stuff, but I remember a £40 spend in the early days got you lots of bags, now it’s about 4 (and one of them will be bleach on it’s own 🙄).

Think I timed my Aldi trip well as all the shelves were full, then Mum went to a diff Aldi & Morrisons & there stocked up.

The small laundry I work part-time in is having its electricity prices quadrupled from 2nd October :(

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
We've got a similar one though ours has a drink function aswell
Morphy Richards Compact Soup Maker 501021, the 1l version is £32.99, theres also a 1.6l with saute & pause functions thats £57.49.
I think that's the one I've got, the big one because it does smoothies as well. Well, it can do smoothies. It doesn't do them so often since one of my kids tried to make one with frozen berries and I nearly wet myself 😂

• Haha
That's gotta be before the Price Guarantee's kicked in surely? 53p a kWh for leccy?
Business support hasn't been confirmed yet, will initially run for 6 months (then reviewed) & might be delayed until November, but backdated to Oct. Some businesses will be in dire straits very soon & any support might just be too late.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.