Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Our only form of heat is an oil burner, last filled in lockdown, £350, just had it filled, £780, have been saving up for it but still was quite a shock!
Have brought a kettle to put on it, so I can use for my cups of tea, washing pots and mopping the floors!

Reactions: 3
Gosh, it's chilly tonight and we're only in mid September. Dreading the coming months 🙁

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I've just bought oodies for the kids which was a bit of a stretch on top of having to get more clothes for them and I'm looking forward to payday.
However, it is chilly tonight and I can feel the nip in the air, even in the house but I haven't had the heating on at all because of the oodies. (And the thick bedspreads on the adults bed that we've had for a couple of years)
The kids actually said they were hot before they went to bed. Definitely recommend them if it's in budget.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I've just bought oodies for the kids which was a bit of a stretch on top of having to get more clothes for them and I'm looking forward to payday.
However, it is chilly tonight and I can feel the nip in the air, even in the house but I haven't had the heating on at all because of the oodies. (And the thick bedspreads on the adults bed that we've had for a couple of years)
The kids actually said they were hot before they went to bed. Definitely recommend them if it's in budget.
I wore mine last night and I was sweating! Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Reactions: 4
I ordered 3 oodies the other day, one for me and the kids one each.

I have a generic Amazon one at the moment so Im intrigued to see if the branded is any better.

Reactions: 6
It’s cold this morning, my watch says 4°. My daughter still sleeping in short pjs so I gave her her dressing gown and slippers and told her to put them on if she’s cold but she’s not fussed, she must run hot like her dad 😅 I suppose it’s good because I didn’t want to put the heating on just yet.

Reactions: 5
Did my readings for the upcoming bill and was informed we used £290 of electricity in the last quarter - our direct debit is £318 a month! I know we go through a lot on the heating circuit over winter, but we're currently nearly £700 in credit and I have everything crossed that they won't put the DD up any further when the bill gets generated in a week or so.

• Heart
I am absolutely determined not to put the heating on until November - I say this every year, and sometimes I manage it and sometimes it's close. I'm also going to lay off the portable oil-filled heaters for the rooms we don't have central heating in - they're really easy to forget and heat an empty room for a few hours.

Reactions: 9
The heating switched itself on this morning as the house got cold, I have a Nest control, so I switched it straight off again and will set it to off for as long as possible. It's getting colder already :(

My children's school has opened a food bank for pupils and staff, it's sad that it is necessary :(

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Did my readings for the upcoming bill and was informed we used £290 of electricity in the last quarter - our direct debit is £318 a month! I know we go through a lot on the heating circuit over winter, but we're currently nearly £700 in credit and I have everything crossed that they won't put the DD up any further when the bill gets generated in a week or so.
They shouldn’t put it up, but you may not be able to take the credit balance out! Currently £500 in credit with Octopus and they’ve introduced a new feature where you can withdraw your balance in app w/o contacting anyone, so I clicked it out of curiosity and I’d only be allowed to take £40 out cos of our predicted winter useage? 😂

I wanted to leave it in anyway as I don’t want to worry about using the heating and ending up with a massive negative balance. I had it on last night cos there was a chill to the air but am relieved despite being in a v old house it does heat quickly/well. I don’t think we’ll bother with a heated blanket because of this & also worried about our cosleeping toddler overheating with it.

• Angry
My work have just confirmed a 5% pay rise for everyone, which is lovely. Definitely gonna help this winter as comes into effect next month

• Heart
Reactions: 24
The heating switched itself on this morning as the house got cold, I have a Nest control, so I switched it straight off again and will set it to off for as long as possible. It's getting colder already :(

My children's school has opened a food bank for pupils and staff, it's sad that it is necessary :(
Yes, but the plus side is the Queen is getting an amazing send-off
Sorry but can't help it. just been called a traitor on FB for daring to suggest its all very over the top when even working people are having to use the foodbank

My heating also came on this morning. it certainly didn't feel that cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
I’m lucky to be relatively solvent now, but in my 20’s and 30’s was a working single parent who always seemed to earn just enough not to qualify for any additional help. Son (now in his 30’s!) reminded me how at the end of the month, we’d share a tin of tomatoes on toast, 15p (!) and how much he enjoyed it because it meant payday (and biscuits) were close. So he’d popped out and got a tin of toms and had a nostalgic tea - but with black pepper and a grating of Parmesan - he enjoyed it on two levels! I did the same last night. Yummy. But tomatoes now 70p….

• Heart
Reactions: 24
They shouldn’t put it up, but you may not be able to take the credit balance out! Currently £500 in credit with Octopus and they’ve introduced a new feature where you can withdraw your balance in app w/o contacting anyone, so I clicked it out of curiosity and I’d only be allowed to take £40 out cos of our predicted winter useage? 😂

I wanted to leave it in anyway as I don’t want to worry about using the heating and ending up with a massive negative balance. I had it on last night cos there was a chill to the air but am relieved despite being in a v old house it does heat quickly/well. I don’t think we’ll bother with a heated blanket because of this & also worried about our cosleeping toddler overheating with it.
Oh I don't mind not being able to take it out, I just don't want to start paying more!

My mother has decided that she's going to move to the retirement village she went to look at last week, once an apartment she likes becomes available, which is going to bring her bills down a lot - she's currently heating a 4-bedroom house to about 28C for 12 hours a day, so moving to a 1-bed flat will make a big, big difference.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
We got pay rise at work (nhs ) but in order for us to match the cost of living , it would need to be 15% pay rise 😂
I am very lucky that I recently got a promotion which was a 4% pay rise last month, and then now I've got this 5% pay rise. I'm working on paying off my credit card, so once that's paid I'll be £200 a month better off as well. I probably won't see any of this money as it will go on increased bills etc but I'm grateful to have the money to be able to pay those bills

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.