Discontent #7 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The asda rewards app is quite clever in that people want to get the 'extra free money' by completing the "missions" and therefore spending more than they probably would have done anyway 😅
It's an absolute genius marketing tool by asda. I was an avid lidl shopper but have switched to Asda now. It's pennies difference between the two shops for what I buy but with asda I can get free money... no brainer

Reactions: 3
Makes it harder on people with bigger familys though, as they then can't do their full shop unless they buy the more expensive products
They have to draw the line somewhere though.
I do understand, I was one in a family of seven when sugar and other things (bread?) were sometimes rationed during the '70's. We just had to go to different shops to get everything we needed, or go again the next day.
If all their essential items are already sold out because people are buying more than three they will lose customers in the long run. That's just the way it is.

They have to draw the line somewhere though.
I do understand, I was one in a family of seven when sugar and other things (bread?) were sometimes rationed during the '70's. We just had to go to different shops to get everything we needed, or go again the next day.
If all their essential items are already sold out because people are buying more than three they will lose customers in the long run. That's just the way it is.
yeah it's a tough one and technically i'm guessing you cant stop people going back around the shop. Or if 2 people just loading the checkout twice?

Our Asda delivery is awful so i've not tried any of the products yet but if i'm lucky enough to get a lift i'll be grabbing a couple to try. As the reviews seem good.

I buy the Asda basic toilet roll, think it’s £1.90 a pack, lasts ages & good quality too, bought other bits as well, I don’t care about the bright yellow packaging, other people don’t seem fussed either, trollies are full of it at the checkout.
For many basic staples I have bought yellow brand for years (beans, canned veg, oats, etc) and honestly don't find it much different. I have no issues with buying it either. Would rather pay 90 cents for a can of tomatoes than $1.50.

Reactions: 2
I can't recall whether it was on a thread here or somewhere online so apologies in advance. Does anyone remember the list of offers/discounts to do grocery shopping online? I recall Sainsbury's often do something like £10 your first order. I'd appreciate any help please

Last edited:
I can't recall whether it was on a thread here or somewhere online so apologies in advance. Does anyone remember the list of offers/discounts to do grocery shopping online? I recall Sainsbury's often do something like £10 your first order. I'd appreciate any help please
Ocado usually do £20 off. I think if you just google sainsburys new customer or ocado new customer it should come up.

• Heart
Sainsbury’s are currently doing £15 off your first shop of £60+

Attachments

Updated calculator

Mine will be lower than it is now? I don't understand that
Mine is quite a but higher at current rate £266 per month that's £3192 a year if stayed same at 12 months but it was changing every 6months and then ofgem said every 3 months reveiw.
If caps £2500 is that instant rise October and stays same next 24months from October? 6months cap businesses.
I'm still raging south west has highest standing charge in the the UK.
Its still a big jump where are we meant to find the extra money?
If I had nor returned to work we would be screwed this winter I think even with childcare costs.

We going to really try to reduce energy usage this winter best we can and hope octopus predictions are wrong.

The ASDA range baffled me I really never have felt ashamed of the packaging .
I just wonder if rationing starts with ASDA what if other retailers follow.
We currently have item limits on cooking oils .
During covid 2020 there was item limits on milk bread eggs and flour as large family in was a nightmare.
I see on you tube lots American food retail have item limits as they had shortages and predict more shortage.
My nearby lidls and tried bigger stores always seems half empty with frozen/ eggs and some cleaning/ canned pasta always seems worst affected.
What we have been eating this year was last years harvest.
The cost of energy is driving up the cost of aluminium so cans have increased.
There a C02 shortage that could affect packing meat.
Ukraine 🇺🇦 war driven up cost cooking oils I don't think uk imports much Ukraine wheat.

Over summer holidays eased up on bulk prep shops as spending all money on what felt like 5 meals and day and endless snacks.
Plus extra vino just to survive.

I'm getting back on it this month getting more rice, beans, tomato products. Tinned veg and fruit including tinned potatoes and dried potato as poor harvests this year.
Also non foods bathroom items and cleaning will mean over Xmas and when energy highest we can reduce grocery bill that month.

Still debating which air fryer to buy and considering a dehydrator.

Attachments

Mine is quite a but higher at current rate £266 per month that's £3192 a year if stayed same at 12 months but it was changing every 6months and then ofgem said every 3 months reveiw.
If caps £2500 is that instant rise October and stays same next 24months from October? 6months cap businesses.
I'm still raging south west has highest standing charge in the the UK.
Its still a big jump where are we meant to find the extra money?
If I had nor returned to work we would be screwed this winter I think even with childcare costs.

We going to really try to reduce energy usage this winter best we can and hope octopus predictions are wrong.

The ASDA range baffled me I really never have felt ashamed of the packaging .
I just wonder if rationing starts with ASDA what if other retailers follow.
We currently have item limits on cooking oils .
During covid 2020 there was item limits on milk bread eggs and flour as large family in was a nightmare.
I see on you tube lots American food retail have item limits as they had shortages and predict more shortage.
My nearby lidls and tried bigger stores always seems half empty with frozen/ eggs and some cleaning/ canned pasta always seems worst affected.
What we have been eating this year was last years harvest.
The cost of energy is driving up the cost of aluminium so cans have increased.
There a C02 shortage that could affect packing meat.
Ukraine 🇺🇦 war driven up cost cooking oils I don't think uk imports much Ukraine wheat.

Over summer holidays eased up on bulk prep shops as spending all money on what felt like 5 meals and day and endless snacks.
Plus extra vino just to survive.

I'm getting back on it this month getting more rice, beans, tomato products. Tinned veg and fruit including tinned potatoes and dried potato as poor harvests this year.
Also non foods bathroom items and cleaning will mean over Xmas and when energy highest we can reduce grocery bill that month.

Still debating which air fryer to buy and considering a dehydrator.
That's weird yours is going up 24% and mine 19% when we're both south west? I thought ours was a lower increase at our standing charges already jumped up to 51p in April and from Oct will be 52p

Reactions: 1
Reading the 'Designer Items' thread I dont think everybody is worried about paying their bills. The Ladies there positively encourage each other to spend £1000s on a new bag/watch etc. I dont begrudge them I just wish it was me.
What people say they do and what they actually do might be two very different things. You get a lot of fantasists online. Even if they are not lying it could be on the never-never, I have a friend who spends like there is no tomorrow, I thought she was very well off. But it's all debt, nothing is actually paid for. duck that. I might not have the latest cars, furnishings, clothes etc but I don't owe a penny to anyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
What people say they do and what they actually do might be two very different things. You get a lot of fantasists online. Even if they are not lying it could be on the never-never, I have a friend who spends like there is no tomorrow, I thought she was very well off. But it's all debt, nothing is actually paid for. duck that. I might not have the latest cars, furnishings, clothes etc but I don't owe a penny to anyone.
Yes, I have a lot of friends who's entire life is on tick & bnpl

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think it's very scary. They could lose everything and for what? status symbols that no one other than other status symbol carers ( can't think how to word that) gives a tit about?

Reactions: 11
I think it's very scary. They could lose everything and for what? status symbols that no one other than other status symbol carers ( can't think how to word that) gives a tit about?
Now a days you can approach people like step change and get most of it written off so people don’t care. They don’t see the bigger picture of how it effects your credit rating.

Reactions: 5

I have the same, for a long time I wondered what we were doing wrong why couldn't we afford new cars, holidays abroad each year lovley houses and clothes etc. All my freinds seemed to have it all and we had very little. After speaking to a few of them I soon realised they were up to their eyeballs in debt which they will probably be paying back the rest of their lives. I couldn't live that way, not for the sake of a holiday and a flash car.

Reactions: 13
Imagine going into debt for a bloody Gucci handbag! Talk about stupid.
OT but my grandaughter stayed with me for a sleepover while her mum and sisters did something for the day. Her mum was late collecting her and she said to me "oh never mind I will live with you forever and have loads of Gucci handbags" . I could not stop laughing, I would not know a Gucci handbag if someone hit me upside the head with one.. Nor would she as she is only 5 . 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.