Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Clutches are normally expensive. Not an expert.
Yea I think it would be more than the car is worth 😅 it's booked in at the garage tomorrow just to check if it's definitely the clutch. It's had about £600 worth of stuff fixed on it in the last year

Just got to hope it's ok for the school runs 😬

Reactions: 2
If the car is that old and you've also other bits that need repair, I'd try to get a new car. Maybe not new-new, used-new totally fine, and I know that both are hard to come by at the moment with insane waiting times. Plus, cost factor of course.
My experience with older cars has been that it's a sinking hole in the end, just not viable to keep up with the repairs -plus a newer car will likely also run more efficiently, which is always a nice thing.

Reactions: 3
Virgin media have sent me an email saying internet is going up to 68 but I could switch to a new supplier and get it for 32. I guess this is some kind of watchdog stuff they've been forced to do?

I hate three as their data is so patchy when out and about. But might try their 5g for £20 a month
Have a look on USwitch and shop around. I had Smarty for a couple of months, but as you say 3 doesn't have the best coverage - I’m with 3 on my mobile, but the bonus of only having it for a month you’ll be able to see if it suits your needs.

A few of my friends have Topcashback and they will swap every year to a new provider to save money.

I felt sad seeing a couple of old people put some things back on the shelf today as they said the prices had went up too much.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
The local libraries now have most of the popular magazines (app called Libby) and also a lot of audiobooks on another app called Borrow Box.
View attachment 1398047View attachment 1398052
The last reading book i bought myself was in 2017. I only ever now use Borrowbox and free audible trials they run from time to time.

I don’t know if anyone’s posted this but M&S have really cheap kilo packs of chicken. Either legs, drumsticks or thighs which are slightly more at £2.40 but it is kilos. They are decent sized too and make a good stew etc.
M&S are also surprisingly cheaper for milk for me too at the moment.

Someone I know switched to eating more fish instead of placing his usual meat order.

Reactions: 4
If the car is that old and you've also other bits that need repair, I'd try to get a new car. Maybe not new-new, used-new totally fine, and I know that both are hard to come by at the moment with insane waiting times. Plus, cost factor of course.
My experience with older cars has been that it's a sinking hole in the end, just not viable to keep up with the repairs -plus a newer car will likely also run more efficiently, which is always a nice thing.
I've been trying to save up and then it needs work doing so having to use the savings each time. I've not got loads so I'm a bit worried I could end up with something else that needs higher maintenance. I've seen Bristol Street have 0% on used cars but it's just wether I can afford £150 a month when everything goes up over winter. Newer would mean less road tax too

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Virgin media have sent me an email saying internet is going up to 68 but I could switch to a new supplier and get it for 32. I guess this is some kind of watchdog stuff they've been forced to do?

I hate three as their data is so patchy when out and about. But might try their 5g for £20 a month
For the internet most of the main mobile suppliers now also have home broadband services so worth checking network coverage and then shopping around with them and seeing what deals you can get. The only one who doesn't offer it is O2.

Is your contract due up? There’s always a deal to be had with Virgin. I have two boxes so don’t want to leave, but always manage to get the price cut down if I ask to leave. Sometimes you have to activate the cancellation notice and then another team calls back offering better deals than the leaving team can offer. Last time it was going up to £90 but I stayed because they got it down to £45.

Reactions: 1
this is going to financially crucify so many households, & i'm not sure how many are even aware of the impact of this come winter.

we're all electric in the the south west - in summer we used to pay around £65 per month, this month was £176 for the same KW used!
I've just gone back & checked - for Aug 2019 to Aug 2020, we used 9150KW & were billed £1511 inc standing charge.
That same use now on my current British Gas Tariff would be £3254!!
And that's a fixed tariff until 31.05.23 that i took out in May, BG aren't even currently offering any other fixed tariffs.

It's absolutely frightening...

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Came here to see these discussions.

It’s insane. We have a smart home and I’d always withheld from getting the individual rad controls as it felt needless if not an actual waste of money. Between them coming down in price & raising costs they’ll be repaid in a matter of weeks now.

Reactions: 3
If thats right it'll be just over 20% of what I have coming in!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I think I’ve been living in denial a bit until now. This is getting so scary. My bill has gone from £72 to £105 after my fixed deal ended and the thought of it going up to £200 - £300 a month just doesn’t bear thinking about. As a single parent, I will have very little disposable income (and I work full time in a pretty well paid job). It’s just utterly depressing.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I know this is maybe not the most sensible option but I’ve cancelled my direct debit because the energy company kept putting it up and I’m now doing a bank transfer each month of the same amount I used to pay by direct debit. I’m in credit at the moment because of summer but come winter I’ll be in debt but the way I see it is at least they’re getting something from me 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 7
Honestly i feel a bit sick. I'm broke this month (for some reason I always am in July), i've just paid of our holiday for October, so my savings have taken a hit. Definitely on a mass saving spree as of August.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.