Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone find they are getting less mpg? I'm certain I am, finding myself more aware of how I am driving
Yes I definitely am. Noticed it when they brought in that other petrol last year I think it was and now with the price hikes it is even more noticeable.

Reactions: 5
Does anyone find they are getting less mpg? I'm certain I am, finding myself more aware of how I am driving.

Tried to get my Sky bill reduced today, got nowhere. Will probably have to cancel that come Jan and we are out of contract as it will be over £100/month 😐
With sky we had to call up and cancel at the end of our contract before they would knock any money off. Within a week of us cancelling they were ringing us up offering money off to come back to them

Reactions: 2
Yes I definitely am. Noticed it when they brought in that other petrol last year I think it was and now with the price hikes it is even more noticeable.
Same here, a definite difference with the new petrol.

I have cancelled a magazine subscription and Audible subscription to gain back 20 a month that was being wasted. I barely listened to the audiobooks and the magazine's content quality had gone downhill. 20 quid is not much but it was being wasted.

I noticed that the new petrol was burning much more quickly so I have been buying former super unleaded. Yes very expensive but it's lasting longer and I am getting much better MPG.

Reactions: 6
Same here, a definite difference with the new petrol.

I have cancelled a magazine subscription and Audible subscription to gain back 20 a month that was being wasted. I barely listened to the audiobooks and the magazine's content quality had gone downhill. 20 quid is not much but it was being wasted.
The local libraries now have most of the popular magazines (app called Libby) and also a lot of audiobooks on another app called Borrow Box.
4FF341A1-1D69-4D4C-AB59-570AD97913DA.jpeg
4BEF41D6-ADC6-4886-B376-4478213AA473.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It just sneaks in everywhere - I noticed in Lidl few days ago that butter had gone up from £1.45 to £1.79 (? I think. £1.7 something, anyway). Cucumbers have gone up. Their fresh pizza from £1.50 to £2. There are all these stealthy little price increases.

I was surprised to see carrots and limes at the same price.

It all adds up.

Reactions: 11
It just sneaks in everywhere - I noticed in Lidl few days ago that butter had gone up from £1.45 to £1.79 (? I think. £1.7 something, anyway). Cucumbers have gone up. Their fresh pizza from £1.50 to £2. There are all these stealthy little price increases.

I was surprised to see carrots and limes at the same price.

It all adds up.
Yep I noticed a lot of little increases in lidl. Most things up by 20-30p. Which over an entire shop, as you said, adds up. Same in Morrison. They have increased pretty much everything in their own brand range. I used to think their 99p ready meals were good value just for a quick dinner but they’ve all gone up to £1.50 now so I won’t be buying those anymore. It’s really frustrating all these price hikes

Reactions: 4
Does anyone find they are getting less mpg? I'm certain I am, finding myself more aware of how I am driving.

Tried to get my Sky bill reduced today, got nowhere. Will probably have to cancel that come Jan and we are out of contract as it will be over £100/month 😐
They won't really do anything mid contract unfortunately. Your best bet and probably will actually work out well for you is the sales they normally do at the end of the year/Jan. I was 1 month off the end of my contract when I called them in May as I saw an offer on Facebook. Granted I couldn't get it as it would have meant a huge downgrade on the internet and where I work from home and with the job I do in the public sector I can't have unstable slow internet, I did manage to negotiate the exact same package I have for just £2 more a month rather than the £37 more it was going to be at the end of the contract.

I noticed that the new petrol was burning much more quickly so I have been buying former super unleaded. Yes very expensive but it's lasting longer and I am getting much better MPG.
I might give that a go next time I'm filling up.

Yel

Virgin media have sent me an email saying internet is going up to 68 but I could switch to a new supplier and get it for 32. I guess this is some kind of watchdog stuff they've been forced to do?

I hate three as their data is so patchy when out and about. But might try their 5g for £20 a month

Reactions: 3
Virgin media have sent me an email saying internet is going up to 68 but I could switch to a new supplier and get it for 32. I guess this is some kind of watchdog stuff they've been forced to do?

I hate three as their data is so patchy when out and about. But might try their 5g for £20 a month
Is that for mobile or broadband?

Literally the same! I mean we couldn’t honest believe that the new petrol would give us more miles or be exactly like for like. They change stuff we get less. Way of the world. It’s ridiculous

• Sad
I hate seeing the security tags on the baby milk. Anyone stealing baby milk or buying stolen baby milk is obviously desperate 😔 its just so expensive
If you can't afford formula the thing to do is to contact your health visitor or a food bank, not steal it. There are resources available to help people in this situation, babies aren't left to starve.

Reactions: 6
Personally no, but then my family has never really done holidays. It’s only ever been day trips at the most.
Do you feel deprived. I ask because even as a kid we have never done holidays, and now looking back on my life, I am not sure whether I missed out.

Reactions: 4
Do you feel deprived. I ask because even as a kid we have never done holidays, and now looking back on my life, I am not sure whether I missed out.
We only had 1 overseas holiday as a child and I definitely don’t feel I missed out. We did plenty of day trips, UK breaks etc.

I think my clutch needs replacing. No idea what to do, car is 18 years old so probably not an economical fix (I think it needs other bits fixing too)

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.