Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Blonde_moment That's a nice find for sure! I'm also keeping an eye on the products I use and whether I truly want to replace all of them. Sadly, I've found a hair care brand that I quite like, but it's also rather pricey (Maria Nila), so I'm currently battling the urge of ordering several products, despite having one of those huge pump flasks nearly full of shampoo still here. I really should be better about using what I have, I have a tendency to "save" some items for a nice occasion that then never comes around :rolleyes:
Oh I can identify with this! I’m terrible for buying things I don’t really need 🙈

Reactions: 1
Omg pide sounds yum! Enjoy!

We’re just about to move into a much bigger, much older house with glass windows so our changes are less day to day and more broadly how we’re gonna manage the house. When we first moved into this house it was all about decorating whereas the second house will all be about energy improvements, driven by this ridiculous situation. We’re in a lucky position where we don’t need to worry, but I can’t wrap my head around a potential direct debit for £500+ a month for utilities. It’s actually a life changing amount of money if you overpay your mortgage by that you’ll shave years off the term, or save it for your kids they’ll be able to be student loans debt free or buy a property at 18/21. It’s an obscene amount of money to pay over for a transient utility bill for no good reason other than the government doesn’t want to cap it. I’d be interested to see how this impacts household savings tbh.

I imagine for the older generation there will be people in large older homes bought back in the day paying similar in a mortgage to what they do on utilities now. They’re going to have to add this to affordability checks on mortgages at some point, surely? I wonder if we’ll see some of the older gen downsizing from this. My MIL was speaking about her options the other day :/
That's what ours is going to go up to, probably a bit over - Martin Lewis has calculated that if you're paying £300 now you'll be paying £495 in October and £510 in January and our direct debit is £318. We're looking at replacing our 20+ year old Dimplex panel heaters and storage heaters with new ones which are much more efficient, but the situation is vastly complicated by this stupid THTC tariff we're stuck on where all the heating stuff is on a separately-metered circuit that's switched on and off by the electricity company at random times based on the weather forecast. They're discontinuing it in the next year, but I can't seem to find out (a) what will happen, i.e. will we get both circuits going into one meter or will it stay on two meters so we have the option of an economy 7 tariff, (b) when it will happen, (c) whether the meters will get changed at all, given our village can't have smart meters because there's no signal for them. We don't want to spend a fortune because we're hopefully building a new house and moving into it over the next two years, but at the same time, if we want to sell this place once the new one is built, we need to sort it out to help the sale.

My mother is most annoyed that her energy company wants to put her direct debit and it's not quite sinking in for her just how big the price rises have been because she's in credit at the moment. I've tried explaining that the bills are going to nearly double again in the autumn, but she's not quite getting it at the moment. She's in the process of looking round various retirement communities (she'll be 83 next month) and will be downsizing from a 4-bed house to a 1-bed or 2-bed apartment, which will help considerably with her utility bills and council tax, although if she goes into the one I think she'll end up at, there's a community fee of around £9k a year towards maintenance of the communal buildings and grounds, so I guess it'll cancel itself out in the end.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
That's what ours is going to go up to, probably a bit over - Martin Lewis has calculated that if you're paying £300 now you'll be paying £495 in October and £510 in January and our direct debit is £318. We're looking at replacing our 20+ year old Dimplex panel heaters and storage heaters with new ones which are much more efficient, but the situation is vastly complicated by this stupid THTC tariff we're stuck on where all the heating stuff is on a separately-metered circuit that's switched on and off by the electricity company at random times based on the weather forecast. They're discontinuing it in the next year, but I can't seem to find out (a) what will happen, i.e. will we get both circuits going into one meter or will it stay on two meters so we have the option of an economy 7 tariff, (b) when it will happen, (c) whether the meters will get changed at all, given our village can't have smart meters because there's no signal for them. We don't want to spend a fortune because we're hopefully building a new house and moving into it over the next two years, but at the same time, if we want to sell this place once the new one is built, we need to sort it out to help the sale.

My mother is most annoyed that her energy company wants to put her direct debit and it's not quite sinking in for her just how big the price rises have been because she's in credit at the moment. I've tried explaining that the bills are going to nearly double again in the autumn, but she's not quite getting it at the moment. She's in the process of looking round various retirement communities (she'll be 83 next month) and will be downsizing from a 4-bed house to a 1-bed or 2-bed apartment, which will help considerably with her utility bills and council tax, although if she goes into the one I think she'll end up at, there's a community fee of around £9k a year towards maintenance of the communal buildings and grounds, so I guess it'll cancel itself out in the end.
Everything is just made that little bit harder by this stuff isn’t it. Like I’m not doing a telegraph money and saying think of the squeezed middle as those people are often highly leveraged idiots whinging about a lifestyle they never could truly afford anyway but idk, with this how can anyone believe the Tory delusion / line that hard work = a good life!

Similar but diff to your mum’s situation, we’re trying to get my sister into a place of her own and we’re basically there with deposit for either a one bed newbuild flat or a 2 bed terrace that needs work (but she could have a lodger and save that as an emergency fund, so is my preference similarly I think it’ll increase in value more). But like you it’s a trade off between higher costs of maintenance versus being at the mercy of ground rent and service charges in these new builds. There are share of freehold properties which give the best of both (ish) but they’re few and far between. But this utilities bollocks applies to both scenarios, I don’t think it’d be wise of us to get her in there and then she’s gotta pay out another mortgage payment’s worth on council tax and gas & electric! Surely this must be crippling FTBs who were already maxing out on affordability? One of my friends is looking for a flat in London and got told he can get a 6 x multiplier mortgage on one of these schemes?! Wtf!

• Heart
We’re booked in to have a wood burner fitted in October as we lost a few mature trees around our garden in storm Arwen so free wood, hoping it will save us some money on heating in the next few years.

Reactions: 6
We’re booked in to have a wood burner fitted in October as we lost a few mature trees around our garden in storm Arwen so free wood, hoping it will save us some money on heating in the next few years.
I know someone who had one fitted earlier this year. Don't know the size of it but cost about £2k i think, decent sized 3 bed semi & he said it made the house lovely & warm, they had to open windows as it got too hot! With fuel prices now & expected, should pay for itself by end this winter I'd imagine!

Reactions: 8
I know someone who had one fitted earlier this year. Don't know the size of it but cost about £2k i think, decent sized 3 bed semi & he said it made the house lovely & warm, they had to open windows as it got too hot! With fuel prices now & expected, should pay for itself by end this winter I'd imagine!
We have one too. I love it. So warm and cozy and hears upstairs very well too

Reactions: 1
It seems like every has had the same idea, the guy who’s doing it for us said fitting wood burners is literally all he does these days.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Seems like my bet on Prime Day worked out, my favorite coffee is on offer for about 5€/kilo less than what it normally retails for. I won't buy huge amounts of it, but two or maybe three bags.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Anyone else noticed petrol prices remained stable for a couple of weeks and today I noticed it's actually dropped for the first time 😱

I struggled to do my weekly shop in lidl today, hoping it was staffing issue rather than produce issue. Shop was empty of customers & products

• Wow
Meanwhile over in Chile; so many countries are now suffering from the covid stimulus and the effect of war in Ukraine

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I’m sorry but if someone was telling me my 10 minute shower was too long I would flip.

Reactions: 11
I just keep thinking about those who for this price jump have cut down on everything, and when Oct & Jan's arrive they've nothing left to cut down on.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I just keep thinking about those who for this price jump have cut down on everything, and when Oct & Jan's arrive they've nothing left to cut down on.
Same. These companies that are making millions in profits each year are going to be the direct cause of many peoples pain, suffering and even death this winter and why? It makes me feel sick.

Reactions: 12
I’m selling anything & everything I can, someone was going to collect something tonight, never turned up, built my hopes up I could go to the supermarket & buy some food, I’ve not eaten properly in 3 days now, instead I’m in bed hungry, I don’t get my JSA for another week, I’ve tried & failed to get through to citizens advice for a food voucher/food bank I’ve literally got 4p left & don’t know what to do, today I found some Turkish delight I had given to at Christmas, went out of date 4 mths ago so I’ve been eating a few pieces of that today. Sorry for the rant.
What an awful situation to be in, I really feel for you 🥺 not got much to offer but my sympathy but maybe try and download a survey app on your phone like curious cat or qmee and see if you can get enough together just to buy yourself some noodles or tins
I really hope you get it sorted x

Reactions: 2
What an awful situation to be in, I really feel for you 🥺 not got much to offer but my sympathy but maybe try and download a survey app on your phone like curious cat or qmee and see if you can get enough together just to buy yourself some noodles or tins
I really hope you get it sorted x
I’ve been digging down the sofa for money, not found much so far, rationing the Turkish delight as best I can, I seriously can’t go on much more, I’ve applied for so many jobs this week, got an appointment tomorrow with my work coach got a 5 mile round walk on an empty stomach I’m just don’t know what to do anymore?!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I’ve been digging down the sofa for money, not found much so far, rationing the Turkish delight as best I can, I seriously can’t go on much more, I’ve applied for so many jobs this week, got an appointment tomorrow with my work coach got a 5 mile round walk on an empty stomach I’m just don’t know what to do anymore?!
How did the universal credit appointment go? Have you spoken to them and told them your struggling? They can refer you to a food bank or your gp can refer you

Reactions: 3
I find survey sites are good to make abit of money.
Ones I'd recommend are Prolific ( but I believe theres a waitlist) then panelchamp ( though if you choose paypal they take some from it)
Nectar Canvass (pays in Nectar points) Yougov ( only pays out at £50) Toluna
Theres also ipsos iris where you download software to your computer/phone & get paid each month.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.