Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate seeing the security tags on the baby milk. Anyone stealing baby milk or buying stolen baby milk is obviously desperate 😔 its just so expensive

• Sad
Reactions: 19
Wait, security tags on baby milk wasn't a thing in the UK before?

We have had them in Germany for years - it's expensive and I think for at least a decade or there was already a limit on how much you could buy. Reason was that a lot of it was sold on Ebay, mostly to Asian countries, as there have been issues with contaminated formula there and a few babies even died.
Which turned some people into being in a "formula business" here, but they bought so much of it in regular supermarkets that they ran out of stock. I've first-hand seen Asian people being denied any formula because they were suspected of selling it online again.

• Wow
Reactions: 8

We have had them in Germany for years - it's expensive and I think for at least a decade or there was already a limit on how much you could buy. Reason was that a lot of it was sold on Ebay, mostly to Asian countries, as there have been issues with contaminated formula there and a few babies even died.
Which turned some people into being in a "formula business" here, but they bought so much of it in regular supermarkets that they ran out of stock. I've first-hand seen Asian people being denied any formula because they were suspected of selling it online again.
Tbf if it was then I've never noticed it .. but I'm not 100% sure. Its sad all around, no matter where you live you should be able to access milk for your baby 😭

Reactions: 3

There is a pair of Asian men who I see every morning walking back from Sainsbury's with a carrier bag each of baby milk.

Just baby milk. Nothing else. Every day come rain or shine.

They have been doing it for years. They are 100% reselling it

There is a pair of Asian men who I see every morning walking back from Sainsbury's with a carrier bag each of baby milk.

Just baby milk. Nothing else. Every day come rain or shine.

They have been doing it for years. They are 100% reselling it
An ex roommate of mine during uni ran such a business back then too. It took a while for me to understand why she bought six or eight boxes a week 😅

• Wow
Reactions: 7

What is going on with Western governments? Aside from the shitshow of our UK cabinet, Dutch farms are effectively being shut down for arbitrary environmental rules. People are going to starve. And the media are silent.

• Sad
20 % off Sainsburys TU uniform, kids and baby at the moment too.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Well, there was an article today that there seems to be a serious consideration to only have hot water flowing during certain hours of the day, during winter, to save gas. And that there's a run on anything that will let you heat your home without gas.
I'm renting, there's nothing that I can do or could install. Wait and see....

• Wow
Reactions: 2

What is going on with Western governments? Aside from the shitshow of our UK cabinet, Dutch farms are effectively being shut down for arbitrary environmental rules. People are going to starve. And the media are silent.
They're not arbitrary though and have been coming for over a decade. They (Dutch Government, and also Farmers!) just kicked the can down the road in implementing the EU guidelines on farming and fertilizers, more specifically ammonia and nitrogen emissions.

Also, dutch farmers are getting subsidies in the region of 100 billion to get up to date on the new farming regulations.

Just another piece of propaganda.

Reactions: 1
Definitely going to go 'off brand' from now on. I bought Sainsbury's own ketchup for 70p whereas Heinz would have been £1.20. I'm normally a bit of a zombie in the supermarket, just reach for what I know and not think about it. But it really does add up.

Definitely going to go 'off brand' from now on. I bought Sainsbury's own ketchup for 70p whereas Heinz would have been £1.20. I'm normally a bit of a zombie in the supermarket, just reach for what I know and not think about it. But it really does add up.
They often say to try ‘one brand’ down with things. We have swapped Heinz Ketchup for Aldis - teenagers had no idea (yes I decanted it into the heinz bottle at first 🙈) Lurpak for Norpak and don’t buy heinz beans anymore. Only use store brand tinned tomatoes not branded. Own brand pasta.

Heinz was the crème de la crème when I was a kid. It seems with all the govt bods interfering in sugar and salt levels they are just watery and bland. You open a tin of their beans and there’s a layer of tomato water sitting at the top, don’t get that with Morrisons (I love theirs). Having tried de cecco dried pasta I would pay extra for that.

I’m getting a new shower installed tomorrow, turns out my one is from the 90s! It costs me £2 a day in electricity for one person. British Gas engineer said he’s never seen a shower so costly. Hopefully it cuts down the bill.

Reactions: 9
They often say to try ‘one brand’ down with things. We have swapped Heinz Ketchup for Aldis - teenagers had no idea (yes I decanted it into the heinz bottle at first 🙈) Lurpak for Norpak and don’t buy heinz beans anymore. Only use store brand tinned tomatoes not branded. Own brand pasta.
I also bought Aldi's Ketchup and I prefer it to Heinz as its not as sweet.

Reactions: 4
It really does add up. I actually prefer the taste of the Sainsbury's ketchup anyway, it's nice 😊 Heinz ketchup seems watery in comparison.

Reactions: 2
Heinz ketchup is the one thing I can’t get my family to downbrand on. I’ve tried. Thankfully we don’t get through too much so it’s fine for now.

Was using Aldi beautifully buttery until DH said he’d had enough and it was awful and can he have proper butter again. I went to butter for about a week but the cost is just crazy. So all this week I’ve used Aldi Norpack. He’s not said a word so he’s either not noticed or is fine with it.

They're not arbitrary though and have been coming for over a decade. They (Dutch Government, and also Farmers!) just kicked the can down the road in implementing the EU guidelines on farming and fertilizers, more specifically ammonia and nitrogen emissions.

Also, dutch farmers are getting subsidies in the region of 100 billion to get up to date on the new farming regulations.

Just another piece of propaganda.
It is arbitrary when there’s a global food crisis looming. I also suspect farmers know more about farming than politicians.

It is arbitrary when there’s a global food crisis looming. I also suspect farmers know more about farming than politicians.
I for one am more worried about climate change, biodiversity and insect loss and the long term effects of eroding the soil and algae blooms - which these policies aim to tackle - which will make any food crisis we are having now look like bleeping childs play.

Unfortunate that its this year, but as I've said, these policies are not arbitrary, they have been decided more than a decade ago. They could have at any point in the last 10 years started to implement them.

Does anyone find they are getting less mpg? I'm certain I am, finding myself more aware of how I am driving.

Tried to get my Sky bill reduced today, got nowhere. Will probably have to cancel that come Jan and we are out of contract as it will be over £100/month 😐

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.