Discontent #5 food, energy, transport, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All I’ve seen on TikTok is people spending it on nails and clothes shopping. The same ones will be crying over winter but oh well blow it all in 1 day.
That doesn't surprise me. I got mine today and I do think it's a bit early. I've put mine in a separate pot in my bank and will use it for my eldests secondary uniform but so many people will blow it over summer holidays and then struggle over winter

Reactions: 7
Something is going to have to change soon surely? It’s disgusting how high the proportion of someones’ paypacket goes towards rent or mortgage, often leaving nothing left for emergencies or basic comforts. I’m thinking during this heatwave, I’ve already bought an extra fan because I can’t sleep in this heat, and have a handbag sized one to take with me to work, and I feel guilty about it. Some will not even be able to afford a fan. People will no doubt need to buy extra cold drinks when going about their day, to cope in this heat. Parents desperately buying water toys to help their kids cope in the heat. All unexpected extra costs, just to manage in difficult weather. It’s disgusting that we can work so many hours just for a massively overinflated chunk to go just on rent. We need disposable income in order to live.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Or the fact that you can pay 1k in rent for a decade yet can't get eligible for a similar mortgage.

Reactions: 10
All I’ve seen on TikTok is people spending it on nails and clothes shopping. The same ones will be crying over winter but oh well blow it all in 1 day.
This is why I say this idea does not work… I cannot comprehend the fact the government just give out money. It irks me as I’m a key worker, didn’t get furloughed throughout the pandemic, struggle financially but don’t quality for anything like this. Yet some people have been given this amount and sadly not everyone is using it for the right reason. Before anyone comes for me, I know not everyone is using the money in this way but it is so irresponsible of the government. They need to fix or address the issue rather than pretending it is not an issue.

There are dark days coming this winter, we won’t see the worst of it until the end of March at the earliest…

Reactions: 16
This is why I say this idea does not work… I cannot comprehend the fact the government just give out money. It irks me as I’m a key worker, didn’t get furloughed throughout the pandemic, struggle financially but don’t quality for anything like this. Yet some people have been given this amount and sadly not everyone is using it for the right reason. Before anyone comes for me, I know not everyone is using the money in this way but it is so irresponsible of the government. They need to fix or address the issue rather than pretending it is not an issue.

There are dark days coming this winter, we won’t see the worst of it until the end of March at the earliest…
I don’t agree either I think the money should come directly off energy bills / council tax /etc etc THEN if you have disposable income after that you can get your nails done / go clothes shopping

Reactions: 15
I think most people are still under the impression the economic/food crisis will just somehow be taken care of and “fixed”.

The majority of adults in the UK, although maybe experiencing times of hardship, have not lived through true global economic depression, depreciation of currency or shortages. Good times make weak people etc etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I don’t agree either I think the money should come directly off energy bills / council tax /etc etc THEN if you have disposable income after that you can get your nails done / go clothes shopping
yeah hats why i'm happy the Fuel payment thats coming will be off your bill or if on prepay meter by voucher

Reactions: 6
I went to my local Morrisons today just for some variety and couldn’t believe the prices! It was fairly busy too but I don’t know how anyone can afford to shop there. I live in a fairly deprived area. There’s an Aldi, Lidl and Tesco within 5 mins drive too and I normally go there but really like their fresh pizzas as a treat which are now £3.20… sure they used to be like 2.60 or 2.80. But I was shocked at how much things were since the last time I went in there 😔

It’s just my husband and myself so we try and reign in as much as we can with things but I don’t know how people with children and pets afford to eat each week before any other bills.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It seems like every has had the same idea, the guy who’s doing it for us said fitting wood burners is literally all he does these days.
I thought about it but initial outlay and my council has strict rules on what you can burn 🔥.

Looked at bio ethanol fires but ads say they not suitable as main heat source just occasional use.

Also curious about oil radiators do they cost less than electric heater as they need plugging in and assume oil need refill.

wanted to buy electric blankets this summer.
already brought hot water bottles in the sale.

The issue we have is we use more electricity than gas.
Electricity costs more than gas.
Different areas of country have varying standing charges so electricity standing charge in Wales and South west is higher than London.

This month's been tough I wanted to start uniform shopping early spread the cost.
However I forgot that water bill was due we pay twice a year and prefer that as income variable so on low paid months helps to have less bills.
I did buy £40 2nd hand uniform for child 2 but child 3 and 4 start new schools this September so need go dreaded uniform shop and asda/ matalan find best generic stuff plus 3 new pairs of school shoes could set me back £150.

We just been sent a unexpected tax bill for 2k I don't understand we already paid £1300 tax at start of the year.
We only self assess for travel component millage might have pay accountant to look at it as makes no sense .

Worried about energy we currently pay £266 with octopus but they wanted £350 direct debit in April and we said no thats excessive.
We slowly into credit over summer but Martin Lewis saying we could be paying over 400 shocked me.
We with octopus and they really good company so reluctant to change but can't see a a way to fix with them .

I think 1 tyre needs replacing on car.
Car insurance due this month
Pet insurance next month we have a saving as no buses/ school dinners or breakfast club for the kids .
Not doing well paying down the credit card.

Now youngest starts school September been costing up childcare options as we really need the 2nd income.
Breakfast and after school club is £15 a day and holiday club around £20.

Teenager is moaning we not going on holiday most of her freinds and wealthy and all going abroad.
Shes just got herself a part time job although we still pay for phone, bus pass to school and school related expenses she pays for casual clothes and in 6th form she can wear what she likes.

We only run 1 car and even thats expensive.
Clean air zone being brought in autumn means £9 enter city centre we can't afford change to no newer non diesel car and sons new school is in the zone as are all the hospitals.
Just can't catch a break this year as hard as I try.

I really am shopping around to keep food costs down and do mix reductions/ offers/ magic bags.
I cook from scratch mostly.
Lilds constantly has no stock.
Aldi and morrisions gone up again
The one that shocked me most was Morrisions value pasta.
Value spagetti used be 20p and penne 29p.
Then aldi changed their up to 23p and 32p.
Morrisions hiked up to 30p and 45p.
I was fearful aldi would so same but they haven't.
I looked in big tesco and they reduced range pasta and saw no value pasta at all.
I did get exited to find cheap nooodles as they been missing off the shelves for ages and 12 year old doesn't like super noodles.
They were 29p each so got 2 whole cases.
I missed the tesco big shop in June so had not been since May and so much had gone up.
Only thing can think if that's stayed the same is squash maybe and bourban biscuits.
Also value choc still 30p bar tesco now 33p aldi and 36p morrisions.
I use to male rice krispie cakes as cheap snack.
I do 1 huge shop at tesco this year every month but missed June.
This month we spent £217 just in tesco i wouldn't do my whole entire shop in there but as large family its cheapest for soft drinks/ cheap biscuits/ cereals own brand and some dried pantry items and tins.
Some if frozen quite competitive fresh expensive.
Non foods with club card deals is quite competitive on nonfood example plastic plant pots and windows boxes cheaper than b&m.
The cashier must look at me strange with whole cases of noodles, biscuits/ 30 boxes cereals but I don't care.
My shop in cupboard under stairs is now full and I'm stockpiling some long life grocery and items that keep rising to keep food bills lower in autumn and winter.
The plan was drastically cut back over sept/ oct and nov and use money saved to pay the credit card.
We are overpaying council tax we usually pay over 10months but paying in 7 so by October when energy rise happens thats one less bill as have mot nov xmas then jan another tax bill as have to pay % child benefit back as exceeded earning threshold due to covid and non essential being shut and reopen April 2021 screwed us as sales were up that tax year
Jan and feb also fairly low paid months.
We usually buy as much reduced as we can dec and live in that in jan.

I did pick up a free freezer off market place so now have 4 freezer which sounds excessive but I can fill them all.

The grow my own project not super successful.
Must spent least £200 on veg plants as hardly any seeds took.
We have an allotment and we decide do container garden at back and waste of space front yard.
The containers are doing better than allotment veg.
We had good strawberry and redcurrant harvest but raspberries disappointing.
Something ahs ate all my spinach, a few lettuces and sweetcorn / squashes.
But my tomatoes are looking promising not ready yet.
We really have tried this year with growing but debatable see if saved much.
But I was working on possibility of shops being short on veg due to biometrics testing between uk and eu coming in which will slow down ports.

Buying clothes/ books and toys 2nd hand in jumble sales and charity shops
Hardly buy any brand new.

With 2nd income im seriously tempted get is private healthcare as almost impossible access a GP.
Luckily I stockpiled lft tests before they stopped the free ones so we ok in that respect.
Husband really needs some dental work we need to save more but seems impossible right now as we always in our overdraft.
Added it all up we £200 worse off since April per month possibly more with £70 energy rise and £50+national insurance plus rising fuel so probably not including fuel in that.
Struggling get dog the only food he likes at decent price.
I set £600 a month grocery budget for 6 people so £150 per week or 100 per person which works out £3.33 per day each for 3 meals snacks and drinks.
But that £600 also includes bathroom items, cleaning items and pet food so take those away its maybe £80 per person.
Annoyed I dode t stock pile deodorant as that's gone up.
We are eating more pasta and less meat.

Its frustrating try so hard and feel like getting now where.
Also takes so much time shop around and cook to try and get savings ib food how I will balance that with work not sure.
Might have do more regular batch cooking again.

• Wow
Reactions: 3

I was shopping today, and everywhere was rammed, and no I didn’t get the money 😭 we don’t claim anything so aren’t entitled to anything.

Just for a change, something that hasn't gone up much - I needed four new tyres as they'd worn enough that they probably weren't going to get through the MOT in September. Had the same ones put on as I did four years ago and the price was £534 this time compared to £518 in 2018. Apparently budget tyres have gone up because the costs of transporting them is proportionately a higher part of the price, but mid range and top end not so much.

Reactions: 3
Can someone explain this £650 thing and why its paid directly?

We band b so did eventually end of June mind after rishi said start of April got £150 back from council first to account thats not even one month's council tax which is currently 174 over 10months.
First there was £200 levy loan not loan which we did not want.
Then it as changed to £400 but doesn't that go straight to energy company and we see no direct money.

The only benefit we get is child benefit and we have pay 40% that back next year .

I do worry for people as think many head in sand they don't consider whats coming.
We middle income and struggle some months as have a lot of outgoings with 4 kids and rising prices of everything.
So paying £200 plus a more per month but wages haven't gone up infact husband has pay meeting next week probably going to get a pay cut.

I tried to come up with plan start of year that I call my winter action plan which husband finds hilarious.
But I run the household budget like a business and the house I'm always looking for best price.
The downshift own brand and shop at aldi no longer works.

So my plan for winter was

1) buy blankets and hot water bottles in sale.
2) buy winter clothes 2nd hand or sales so onesie, warm pjs, dressing gown, scarves gloves and coats in summer whilst its cheap
3) try use less energy in summer months and build up a surplus.
4) overpay council tax so by October be paid off and won't have pay again until next April.
5)try and build up emergency funds in savings 1k would be target but even if few hundred its a safety net.
6) buy a air fryer on top shopping list as useless less oil and less energy.
Slow cooker less energy as hob and oven is electric.
Batch cook more so using oven less.
Contemplating heated clothes horse from lake land as trying use drier less.
7) stockpile long life food and items that will rise due to war and weather conditions so oils and anything wheat related like pasta.
8) might start saving money on gift card for food for Xmas shop and buying 1 festive food item each week from August even if have to hide them.
9) really don't want to leave xmas shopping last minute so for 4 year old will do sales and 2nd hand older 3 have usual ,£100 each.
Making presents for freind and family members definatly planning a frugal Christmas.
10) anyone more concerned about winter blackouts?
Nordsream 1 pipe line closed speculation Russia cut Germany off so they will rely on Norway.
Uk doesn't use much Russian energy but we do rely on Norway who have to prioritise EU.
We also sold off all gas reserves.
We have incompetent government and I honestly don't think they have a plan for cost living or energy crisis.
So want buy extra candles.
Torches
Power cells for phones
Solar lanterns
Camping stove and maybe new compact bbq because we only have electric oven and hob.
Hoping pick up cheap fire pit too and build outdoor emergency cooking zone so if we had power we were sorted.

Reactions: 2
@fireflies the £650 is for those on tax credits, universal credits etc.
My old house was electric only and 1 had 1 oil filled radiator we moved between the lounge and bedroom, our bill for the winter was £1400 (10 years ago)
You can pick up ulez complaint cars for £500.

Can someone explain this £650 thing and why its paid directly?

We band b so did eventually end of June mind after rishi said start of April got £150 back from council first to account thats not even one month's council tax which is currently 174 over 10months.
First there was £200 levy loan not loan which we did not want.
Then it as changed to £400 but doesn't that go straight to energy company and we see no direct money.

The only benefit we get is child benefit and we have pay 40% that back next year .

I do worry for people as think many head in sand they don't consider whats coming.
We middle income and struggle some months as have a lot of outgoings with 4 kids and rising prices of everything.
So paying £200 plus a more per month but wages haven't gone up infact husband has pay meeting next week probably going to get a pay cut.

I tried to come up with plan start of year that I call my winter action plan which husband finds hilarious.
But I run the household budget like a business and the house I'm always looking for best price.
The downshift own brand and shop at aldi no longer works.

So my plan for winter was

1) buy blankets and hot water bottles in sale.
2) buy winter clothes 2nd hand or sales so onesie, warm pjs, dressing gown, scarves gloves and coats in summer whilst its cheap
3) try use less energy in summer months and build up a surplus.
4) overpay council tax so by October be paid off and won't have pay again until next April.
5)try and build up emergency funds in savings 1k would be target but even if few hundred its a safety net.
6) buy a air fryer on top shopping list as useless less oil and less energy.
Slow cooker less energy as hob and oven is electric.
Batch cook more so using oven less.
Contemplating heated clothes horse from lake land as trying use drier less.
7) stockpile long life food and items that will rise due to war and weather conditions so oils and anything wheat related like pasta.
8) might start saving money on gift card for food for Xmas shop and buying 1 festive food item each week from August even if have to hide them.
9) really don't want to leave xmas shopping last minute so for 4 year old will do sales and 2nd hand older 3 have usual ,£100 each.
Making presents for freind and family members definatly planning a frugal Christmas.
10) anyone more concerned about winter blackouts?
Nordsream 1 pipe line closed speculation Russia cut Germany off so they will rely on Norway.
Uk doesn't use much Russian energy but we do rely on Norway who have to prioritise EU.
We also sold off all gas reserves.
We have incompetent government and I honestly don't think they have a plan for cost living or energy crisis.
So want buy extra candles.
Torches
Power cells for phones
Solar lanterns
Camping stove and maybe new compact bbq because we only have electric oven and hob.
Hoping pick up cheap fire pit too and build outdoor emergency cooking zone so if we had power we were sorted.
There are some really good ideas on that list. I am going to do some.

I have a lake land heated airer. A big square thing. It was refurbished from their ebay store and has done 2 years so far. Get the cover (or use a sheet) it retains the heat and dries stuff faster. I was sceptical at first. If you dont have a lot you can keep one side closed and hang things down that side. Takes up a lot less space and my version it is all on so wasted heating otherwise. My dryer broke last year and I never missed it. Also get a plug in timer and you can set it to go off (over night for safety) in case you forget and leave it running. It also helps warm the room. You can do similar with a normal airer and a sheet over a radiator.

I also have a dehumidifier in the same room as we tend to get some mold over winter so it keeps the damp down.

If I am gong to buy stuff like this I always check amazon warehouse or ebay for returns first. It is a slight gamble but a lot of it is pristine.

My new washing machine was about £300 cheaper. The description said dents to sides/back so I was like will never see them. The same for my new fridge. Several £100s cheaper because of a scratch!

Reactions: 5
If any one shops in Asda on a regular basis, they do a Xmas savings card. Put a bit of money on that every week and you get a bonus by early November depending on what you save. If you can get to the maximum of £280 you get £15 free!I put £5 a week from food budget and any bits and bobs of money not needed elsewhere. Because I’ve already budgeted for it, it feels like all free money!!
There is also a school one, same principle but think the bonus is put on sometime in the school holidays but that one hasn’t really taken off.

I have just had a new boiler/radiators put in. Massively expensive, I had to as the old one finally died. No hot water tank now so only heats the water we will use.

All being upgraded from the 40+ year old stuff in the house has to be more efficient/cheap right?!

I debated gas or electric but electric meant new fuses/wiring in the house to cope with demand and it just would have been so much more expensive.

My other half said no heat pump he doesn't know why the government are pushing them they must have a mate who wants the £££ contracts.

We looked at solar etc but it is all so expensive. Lucky I knew the boiler was on its last legs and was saving furiously for it to go.

Reactions: 2
There are some really good ideas on that list. I am going to do some.

I have a lake land heated airer. A big square thing. It was refurbished from their ebay store and has done 2 years so far. Get the cover (or use a sheet) it retains the heat and dries stuff faster. I was sceptical at first. If you dont have a lot you can keep one side closed and hang things down that side. Takes up a lot less space and my version it is all on so wasted heating otherwise. My dryer broke last year and I never missed it. Also get a plug in timer and you can set it to go off (over night for safety) in case you forget and leave it running. It also helps warm the room. You can do similar with a normal airer and a sheet over a radiator.

I also have a dehumidifier in the same room as we tend to get some mold over winter so it keeps the damp down.

If I am gong to buy stuff like this I always check amazon warehouse or ebay for returns first. It is a slight gamble but a lot of it is pristine.

My new washing machine was about £300 cheaper. The description said dents to sides/back so I was like will never see them. The same for my new fridge. Several £100s cheaper because of a scratch!
Thank you thats really useful.

I said to husband we need to Invest in items that will make a difference even if initial outlay.
I was thinking with climate change and weather getting warmer that I might in autumn / Winter try and pick up mobile air conditioning unit in the sale for next year.

What's the difference between a air purifiers and a dehumidifier?
We live in 1930s mid terrace.
If I brought a heated rail would have go on landing as my dog on the loose downstairs and loves laundry.
Our landings quite wide so could go next to dirty washing baskets.
Would have run extension lead to sons bedroom as no electrics point on landing.
Sadly no room in any of the bedrooms.

We have brought 2nd hand washers in past from ebay and market place.
Our current drier we brought from new its 3 years old beko condenser from very and its keep tripping.

I feel calmer if I'm prepared.
Managed to find some 2nd hand wool blankets at jumble sale they are so warm they will be fab.
Managed get 4year old a lovely new dressing gown and onseies.

The plan year was clear the credit card by xmas and we failing on that.
Due to tax bills and rising living costs we just about managing.
But we now need 2 jobs to manage and we middle income.

My food stockpile really does give me peace of mind I started a goal a few months ago to collect a years worth oil, pasta, rice, other grains, beans/lentils and tomato based products so tinned tomatoes/ ketchup/ puree and passatta plus stock cubes herbs and spices as that's basics if every meal so should help costs down as they will rise
As current stock is last years harvest..
Italy is suffering serious drought which is affecting pasta prices.
I know we won't go hungry I see it as food savings plan .
Please we converted cupboard to backstock pantry.

I advise anyone just buy a few extra each shop
So a tin of beans bag of pasta, rice, pasta sauce tin of tomatoes less than fiver a week in aldi as over time will add up as let's face it everything will go up again in September.
How I managed to do this is try and offset other areas of my grocery bill.
So the last few months we ate less meat.
I only brought reduced meat.
Buying reduced fruit and veg.
In shopping daily to try and get the bargains.
The money saved on fresh has allowed me to buy more long life grocery.
Next month I intend to do 1 huge tesco shop as well as aldi/ lilds and home bargains.
Non food so bathroom items and cleaning items as they keep for ages.
My hope then is less shopping sept to nov.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 6
A dehumidifier sucks moisture out of the air.

An air purifier sucks particles out of the air, pollen etc. I use less antihistamines with one.

Another good thing to try is amazon subscribe & save. You need to keep an eye on it as prices creep up. Also if you cancel an item you can sometimes add it again and get an additional discount for your 'first order' signing up. They also do some random things on it. I got some new bike pedals. Brought on subscribe & save, saved 15% then cancelled the subscription. Random as who needs a subscription for bike pedals?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.