Designer Items #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone seen any nice/classy initial bracelets? Or a bracelet with a little symbol on? I can’t seem to find any online 🤷🏼‍♀️
I haven’t seen any that spring to mind, but will keep you in mind! A quick google search brought me here: (but you might be looking for something fancier!)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
So I think I’m going to sell my YSL East West tote 😢 I love it and it’s such a beautiful bag but I never use it now I WFH and I want a new summer bag so whatever I get can go towards that. Just as a bit of info, had a look on Vestiaire at fees and it’s a whopping 15% plus 3% transaction fee. EBay is 12.5% so reckon I’m gonna try there first.

Reactions: 2
Keen to hear people’s thoughts on non-leather luxury bags i.e. a Chanel classic flap in tweed or straw? I really struggle to justify the luxury price tag for something that’s unlikely to last my lifetime….

Reactions: 3
Keen to hear people’s thoughts on non-leather luxury bags i.e. a Chanel classic flap in tweed or straw? I really struggle to justify the luxury price tag for something that’s unlikely to last my lifetime….
This is a really interesting question and interested to read the convo that comes out of this, I’m always a Debbie downer so apologise in advance but I’d personally prioritise leather over any other material, even if that meant not buying a brand I’d had my heart set on. Or buying preloved - which if Chanel is your goal would probably be the better option anyway if you are concerned about longevity.

Not suggesting this is you at all btw just broadly speaking but I’d hope that people who’ve been priced out of the leather goods aren’t downgrading fabric bags because it’s such a waste of money and the brand has told you what they think about you so why keep pursuing them 😬

This is a really interesting question and interested to read the convo that comes out of this, I’m always a Debbie downer so apologise in advance but I’d personally prioritise leather over any other material, even if that meant not buying a brand I’d had my heart set on. Or buying preloved - which if Chanel is your goal would probably be the better option anyway if you are concerned about longevity.

Not suggesting this is you at all btw just broadly speaking but I’d hope that people who’ve been priced out of the leather goods aren’t downgrading fabric bags because it’s such a waste of money and the brand has told you what they think about you so why keep pursuing them 😬
Sounds like we are on very similar pages, I’m just keen to hear the thoughts of others… I like to think of my luxury possessions as things I can pass on too…

When I was in the US years ago I went into one of the Chanel Neiman Marcus concessions as I wanted to look at a Tweed bag, and when the lady asked if it was my first/only Chanel (I was like 18 and very much only at the drooling stage) she said to only invest in leather bags as the tweed doesn't stand up to wear, tear and time. She said that the tweed bags were just for fun and if I wanted regular use I should go Caviar.

I treated myself to a YSL straw a couple of years ago as it was reduced way, way down, but I couldn't imagine spending thousands on one.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
When I was in the US years ago I went into one of the Chanel Neiman Marcus concessions as I wanted to look at a Tweed bag, and when the lady asked if it was my first/only Chanel (I was like 18 and very much only at the drooling stage) she said to only invest in leather bags as the tweed doesn't stand up to wear, tear and time. She said that the tweed bags were just for fun and if I wanted regular use I should go Caviar.

I treated myself to a YSL straw a couple of years ago as it was reduced way, way down, but I couldn't imagine spending thousands on one.
It’s good she was so honest with you! It’s true those materials aren’t really repairable whereas leather is, there are some lovely leather restoration videos on TikTok! But it’s possible to recondition, or dye, or repair scratches in a leather bag whereas it’d be game over for the other two. I also can’t help but wonder surely straw is going to become brittle and smelly within a few years? I don’t know if you can keep treating it in the same way you can leather?

It’s good she was so honest with you! It’s true those materials aren’t really repairable whereas leather is, there are some lovely leather restoration videos on TikTok! But it’s possible to recondition, or dye, or repair scratches in a leather bag whereas it’d be game over for the other two. I also can’t help but wonder surely straw is going to become brittle and smelly within a few years? I don’t know if you can keep treating it in the same way you can leather?
Oh definitely - I have only gone leather with Chanel (and predominantly Caviar), and just had two bags in for repair with them - came out looking new, and the repairs weren't even too expensive (and much cheaper than options like The Restory)

Reactions: 4
Hi all, hope you’re ok and don’t mind me joining this thread to pick your brains 😂

I’m in the market for a small, nude bag with a long chain for evening wear. I’m torn between the Gucci Marmont Mini and the YSL Cassandre Envelope Chain Wallet. Does anyone have either of those and would recommend? Or have any other suggestions entirely? Thank you!

I’ve been buying old bags lately (what the cool kids and fashionistas call “vintage”). Last weekend I went to my first ever live auction, it was very exciting and drama-packed as I furiously bidded for an old lambskin Chanel flap. Went a fair bit over my original budget but still worth it to me. This Lot was between me, someone via live phone bid and someone else via online live as the auction being live-streamed.

No regrets though, as this was my only realistic option of ever getting a Chanel bag. I have been completely priced out of anything from the boutique.

Also recently got some old Dior oblique bags purchased online. A Boston bag in the older style font and a clutch in the newer style font (which I might try and fix hardware to so I can attach a chain strap).

Also got an old Fendi Boston bag awaiting arrival. Looks like great condition except the dark brown piping has worn off, so I will have to see what I can do about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi all, hope you’re ok and don’t mind me joining this thread to pick your brains 😂

I’m in the market for a small, nude bag with a long chain for evening wear. I’m torn between the Gucci Marmont Mini and the YSL Cassandre Envelope Chain Wallet. Does anyone have either of those and would recommend? Or have any other suggestions entirely? Thank you!
I had the Cassandre and I returned it. It just didn’t feel worth the money and it was so fiddly to close!

I had the Cassandre and I returned it. It just didn’t feel worth the money and it was so fiddly to close!
Thank you, thats a really good point for both of them actually! Might go for something more substantial instead.

• Heart
Thank you, thats a really good point for both of them actually! Might go for something more substantial instead.
I just don’t think the quality is there with entry level bags. Have you looked at the YSL college? It’s bigger and more expensive but the quality is beautiful.

• Heart
Have you looked at Mulberry small Darley? I know quality varies with Mulberry but I have one of these and the quality on it has been amazing. I’ve had it for 6 years.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.