Designer Items #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Omg. Currently in Turkey and I cannot get over how realistic some of the fake bags are. Iā€™m starting to think, so many people must have fakes back home. Not that there is anything wrong with a fake, I just naively thought most were real

Reactions: 4
Omg. Currently in Turkey and I cannot get over how realistic some of the fake bags are. Iā€™m starting to think, so many people must have fakes back home. Not that there is anything wrong with a fake, I just naively thought most were real
I know exactly what you mean and I'm always surprised too - some of them are practically indistinguishable from the real thing! I think there are lots and lots of fakes on instagram.

Have to say though that it's not cool to buy a fake. They are often made in horrendous conditions by under age workers who earn very little for their 12 hour days. There has also been evidence to suggest that counterfeit bags/goods help support terrorism, corruption, gun and drug gangs. And that's even before we talk about the designers work being ripped off (small fry compared to the other issues in my opinion but still something to consider). I get how tempting it can be though.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Loads of the school mums have fake Gucci bags šŸ˜‚ , my current day bag is a Micheal kors , so not expensive but itā€™s not leather and Iā€™m trying to go none leather with everything. And they laugh and say oh for that amount you could have bought this. No Iā€™d rather have nothing than a fake

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Loads of the school mums have fake Gucci bags šŸ˜‚ , my current day bag is a Micheal kors , so not expensive but itā€™s not leather and Iā€™m trying to go none leather with everything. And they laugh and say oh for that amount you could have bought this. No Iā€™d rather have nothing than a fake
I totally agree with this. If I couldnā€™t afford designer bags, Iā€™d buy good quality leather bags, they donā€™t have to be from big brands. As people say ā€œact your wageā€ šŸ¤£

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Thatā€™s why I sold my Gucciā€™s. About 3 of my mates bought the fakes! šŸ˜‚

• Sick
I just donā€™t get fakes, unless youā€™re a teen trying to fit in on a budget.

I like designer for quality and style, not to flash labels to impress randos on the gram.

Saving up, splurging in a nice store or hunting down something special online etc is half the excitement for me.
Buying a bag from a back street doesn't cut it and ID KNOW IT WAS FAKE!

Like otherā€™s have said.
A decent leather (for non vegans) bag from the high street every-time over a China, slave made rip off.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Iā€™m starting a new secondment next week which may mean occasional office trips ( :( ) and board meetings. Any recommendations for nice office wear? I tend to prefer to wear skirts or longer dresses.

Iā€™m not a mum yet but, I can imagine! Iā€™ve never bought a fake but, been fascinated by how real they are out here. There are women spending like Ā£200 on ā€˜good fakesā€™, I honestly donā€™t see the point. In Manchester, I see loads of teenagers dripped in thousands of designer gear just on the way to school. Iā€™ve always wondered how their parents afforded it, clearly they are going to cheetham hill šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The whole buying fakes thing bothers and fascinates me. Ive known a few people carry them like a badge of honour acting so proud of themselves for it.
It bothers me because of the mentioned issues regarding crime etc (and that itā€™s simply theft of anotherā€™s work.)

But it also fascinates me as to why somebody does buy a fake especially when the issues surrounding them are so wildly known. You also donā€™t really know what youā€™re buying. Werenā€™t some fake goods found to be toxic ? (I know fake beauty products have been tested and found to contain some vile ingredients) canā€™t remember if the same applies to goods like shoes and bags.

The stupid thing is some of the most popular designer bags/accessories/shoes eventually work there way down into the high street. Growing up and into my early 20ā€™s I had more than one quilted flap bag that was in the style of Chanel (I had a beautiful tweed and pearl Chanel style bag from topshop in about 2006/7 I was so sad when it broke) but I never once even considered buying an actual fake because it just didnā€™t feel right. (I also wanted that experience of going to the shop and buying one)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Honestly donā€™t know how they get away with it in Cheetham Hill! I drove through the other week and could see straight into the shops and all the mad fakes they had. They have ā€˜guardsā€™ on the door on the lookout but itā€™s so obvious. The police/Trading Standards šŸ‘®ā€ā™€ļø just turn a blind eye.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Wasnā€™t this thread started off the back of the fake designer thread where we were being called the stupid ones for buying the real deal because you can get eXaCtLy tHe SaMe quality for Ā£200 šŸ„“

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Wasnā€™t this thread started off the back of the fake designer thread where we were being called the stupid ones for buying the real deal because you can get eXaCtLy tHe SaMe quality for Ā£200 šŸ„“
Yeah I remember that! The huge debate about whether fake designer was ethical šŸ˜‚ ā€œwell I bought the same Cartier ring on wish for Ā£10!!!ā€ Okay hun but your finger is green x

• Haha
Reactions: 19
The whole buying fakes thing bothers and fascinates me. Ive known a few people carry them like a badge of honour acting so proud of themselves for it.
It bothers me because of the mentioned issues regarding crime etc (and that itā€™s simply theft of anotherā€™s work.)

But it also fascinates me as to why somebody does buy a fake especially when the issues surrounding them are so wildly known. You also donā€™t really know what youā€™re buying. Werenā€™t some fake goods found to be toxic ? (I know fake beauty products have been tested and found to contain some vile ingredients) canā€™t remember if the same applies to goods like shoes and bags.

The stupid thing is some of the most popular designer bags/accessories/shoes eventually work there way down into the high street. Growing up and into my early 20ā€™s I had more than one quilted flap bag that was in the style of Chanel (I had a beautiful tweed and pearl Chanel style bag from topshop in about 2006/7 I was so sad when it broke) but I never once even considered buying an actual fake because it just didnā€™t feel right. (I also wanted that experience of going to the shop and buying one)
Genuinely donā€™t think the average British consumer is that ethically minded. Or sustainably minded tbh. Especially if it comes at a cost. And I donā€™t believe that all luxury brands are quality or ethical btw, but thatā€™s another topic šŸ¤

Like on ethics even ignoring fakes or toxic fast fashion for a second and looking at the British luxury industry - itā€™s been briefly mentioned here before but Mike Ashleyā€™s luxury shareholdings and wholly owned retailers are only growing, and itā€™ll only get worse as we enter another recessionā€¦ and like idk how to phrase this but how does that gel with the notion that buying luxury/premium goods is the more ethical and sustainable option?

This isnā€™t meant in a judgy holier than thou way, Iā€™m not sat here in a hemp shroud lol, just I personally find ā€œluxuryā€ fashion is becoming increasingly less appealing because of this. Itā€™s annoying as I would have definitely bought more Mulberry but just canā€™t stomach it / the quality will undoubtedly be shocking as theyā€™ve got shareholders of that calibre to appease. The fake thing is a whole other essay (sorry for the length of this) and why I wouldnā€™t buy some brands.

Lol @ the school gate comment tho, I donā€™t have a school aged child but see them on nursery drop off and I know the aesthetic. Itā€™s weird as there feels like a v different aesthetic between nursery and school run mums?

Honestly donā€™t know how they get away with it in Cheetham Hill! I drove through the other week and could see straight into the shops and all the mad fakes they had. They have ā€˜guardsā€™ on the door on the lookout but itā€™s so obvious. The police/Trading Standards šŸ‘®ā€ā™€ļø just turn a blind eye.
The police/trading standards turn up every now again and raid a few shops but itā€™s definitely for show. They turn a blind eye the rest of the time.

I had a handful of fakes when I was younger/skint/didnā€™t know better but now I understand all the wider issues around fakes, and could afford to buy the majority of genuine things if I really wanted to (within reason) I would never buy fake.

It baffles me more why people go to Cheetham Hill and buy fake Nike/adidas/high street brands. A genuine T-shirt is only say Ā£15-20 more and the brand name wonā€™t wash off after 3 washes šŸ¤”

I just donā€™t understand why anyone would be happy having a fake. To me I just wouldnā€™t want to carry something dodgy, I wouldnā€™t feel proud of owning it and I wouldnā€™t want people to see it? Would definitely rather have the nicest within my budget (like I did for years before current job) than a fake

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.