Deliciously Ella #3 Deliciously delusional and munchable Matt

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think it’s too far fetched that she wrote it. She has been the only one running the DE account all these years (and she’s made similar spelling and grammatical errors) so I can def see her insisting on doing these personal emails herself.
Yeah I definitely think that she wrote it herself - especially given the personal nature of what she posts on the DE Instagram (despite having a personal account as well, which she now seems fo have abandoned). At the end of the day, Matt is the CEO and Ella is the “brand director” so I think the monthly email would be within her realm anyway. And yes, I’ve noticed her consistent spelling/grammatical errors too - she seems to often have trouble with spelling plurals like “opportunities” 😅

Reactions: 4
I just found an “Ella’s Edit” email in my junk mail folder that she sent out on Sunday. It seems they’ve gone to Spain for a week which they booked “very spontaneously” - funny, because I would have thought she and CEO Matt would be SO busy and SO focused on the business there wouldn’t be time to galavant off on international holidays at such short notice.

In all seriousness though, their employees must be bloody fuming at their unprofessionalism!

A side note on the unprofessionalism as well - it’s *opportunities* Ella, not “opportunity’s” 🤦‍♀️
View attachment 2144788
All that money spent on her education was obviously worth it 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
They have a ‘content’ team, but I do think she still writes these herself. And Matt always said it drove him crazy all the misspellings in her instagram posts
---
Omg imagine your parents spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on your education and you don’t know how to write the plural of opportunity 😵

Of course at Ella’s level she wouldn’t / shouldn’t be writing the emails but if she’s going to pretend it’s such a personal missive 🤷‍♀️

The whole thing is so so poorly written. ‘Received our first merch into the office’ yikes. Would also like to know the difference between spontaneous and very spontaneous 🤔

I feel for whoever wrote this and signed it off, I’ve been in environments where there is an undue level of manufactured pressure and fabricated competition, people work long hours chasing their tails, the blame game becomes rife, the paranoia is exhausting and it’s how you end up with comms like this.

And all to say ‘this is why we deserve a holiday’ - good lord how insecure must they feel?! Something odd (even more odd than usual) going on.
When I worked for them Matt used to celebrate the people staying latest in the office. Also their People and Culture Manager appears to have quit after a very short stint there so clearly she couldn’t hack Matt!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I just found an “Ella’s Edit” email in my junk mail folder that she sent out on Sunday. It seems they’ve gone to Spain for a week which they booked “very spontaneously” - funny, because I would have thought she and CEO Matt would be SO busy and SO focused on the business there wouldn’t be time to galavant off on international holidays at such short notice.

In all seriousness though, their employees must be bloody fuming at their unprofessionalism!

A side note on the unprofessionalism as well - it’s *opportunities* Ella, not “opportunity’s” 🤦‍♀️
View attachment 2144788
Also I can’t help but notice how sad that monstera plant is :(
---
They have a ‘content’ team, but I do think she still writes these herself. And Matt always said it drove him crazy all the misspellings in her instagram posts
---

When I worked for them Matt used to celebrate the people staying latest in the office. Also their People and Culture Manager appears to have quit after a very short stint there so clearly she couldn’t hack Matt!
It’s quite sad actually that you’ve created a blog that was really cool at the beginning (at least I think so) and now your husband doesn’t hide the fact that he absolutely hates the mistakes you make under your own posts. I feel like it can add to her insecurities, and it looks like she already has many. It makes you wonder how toxic their relationship could be in reality…

Last edited:
  • Sad
Also I can’t help but notice how sad that monstera plant is :(
---

It’s quite sad actually that you’ve created a blog that was really cool at the beginning (at least I think so) and now your husband doesn’t hide the fact that he absolutely hates the mistakes you make under your own posts. I feel like it can add to her insecurities, and it looks like she already has many. It makes you wonder how toxic their relationship could be in reality…
Yeh he sounds awful, especially because she has created this whole brand/business and he basically has piggybacked on to it

Matt is a knob. I loved Ella’s original blog, the recipes were useful. He’s really just hijacked her “brand”

It totally seems like she’s completely on board with everything Matt’s doing though. They both seem to have a chip on their shoulder about making a living for themselves and not living solely on family wealth. However, as it’s been said many times on this thread, the brand would never have taken off without the wealth behind her for a number of reasons.
The two of them seem made for each other, obsessed with themselves and making profit. I think she lost sight of the early goals and ideas for Deliciously Ella a long time ago.

I think it’s pretty clear that Deliciously Ella is (was) Ella’s brand. And then Matt came in and took over control in order to use DE as a springboard to create his own bigger, “better” brand Plants. He’s so focussed on numbers and huge profit margins though it appears he hasn’t actually (at least accurately) taken into account what everyone used to love about DE

I think it’s pretty clear that Deliciously Ella is (was) Ella’s brand. And then Matt came in and took over control in order to use DE as a springboard to create his own bigger, “better” brand Plants. He’s so focussed on numbers and huge profit margins though it appears he hasn’t actually (at least accurately) taken into account what everyone used to love about DE
100% and I hope that Ella has some good friends/family or independent business advisors that help her to retain some independence and confidence for herself.

Reactions: 2
100% and I hope that Ella has some good friends/family or independent business advisors that help her to retain some independence and confidence for herself.
Her own father set her up with a man who a) moved in with her within a week of meeting for the first time b) became CEO of her business shortly after and c) had never run a business in his life because he spent about 15 years trying to become a professional golfer.

Red flags all over the place.

If she's got good friends/family/advisors, they're either terrible or she's just not listening.

Reactions: 13
Gosh it looks like the “Plants” burgers Matt launched in Waitrose this week have gone down like a cup of cold sick 🙁 7 reviews and literally every single one has given them a 1 star!!
Most say they taste like cardboard and are the worst plant-based burger they’ve ever had. I feel kind of bad for Ella tbh as it seems a lot of DE fans are feeling super let down by the low quality of the new Plants products across the board. Then again, it was her choice to give her non-plant-based boyfriend full control of her previously successful business within a few weeks of meeting…

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I believe she originally said that she met Matt because he wanted her to become involved with a coconut water company he was involved with at the time. So yeah, I reckon he definitely saw her as an easy way to launch a business he could run.

————

Gosh it looks like the “Plants” burgers Matt launched in Waitrose this week have gone down like a cup of cold sick 🙁 7 reviews and literally every single one has given them a 1 star!!
Most say they taste like cardboard and are the worst plant-based burger they’ve ever had. I feel kind of bad for Ella tbh as it seems a lot of DE fans are feeling super let down by the low quality of the new Plants products across the board. Then again, it was her choice to give her non-plant-based boyfriend full control of her previously successful business within a few weeks of meeting…
I can’t say I feel sorry for her. She had top selling books and a top selling app, she could have gone and made TV shows and become the veggie version of Nigella. But she sold out.

The whole ethos around DE originally was making food at home, from scratch. A movement away from ultra processed foods. Looking at the ingredients in these new products they’re definitely verging on ultra processed.

She should have been happy with the 100’s of 1,000’s she was already making. But she and Matthew are greedy.

It’s such a shame the brand has moved so much away from what it originally was.

Reactions: 17
Yep yep. I can’t believe how much this woman has gone downhill, and it’s almost certainly because she was weak willed and pandered to her husband.

she must have been one of the OG wellness influencers. She was everywhere at one point. She was a huge inspiration to me when I was trying out veganism.

all this processed stuff w crappy ingredients just seems like such a divergence from what she was originally about.

if only she’d decided to stay standing on her own feet. Instead she married a weak leach of a man, and has become totally irrelevant.

the sad thing is, it wasn’t even about love. She hasn’t sold out for love. Because he saw the cash signs when he met her. Because he saw her as an easy sedgeway to building a business brand for himself.

Reactions: 11
I used to trust her products. I used to trust her.

I do not trust either anymore.

I’m currently reading Ultra-Processed People by Dr Chris Van Tulleken. It’s such a fascinating read. He also did a podcast with his brother on ultra-processed foods (UPF). By definition, according to his book and research, Plants food is ultra-processed, because it contains at the very least plant concentrates, and dried potatoes and things.

I wonder, if the conversation around UPF, grows in momentum, if she will regret handing over her brand and business to someone who didn’t hold her values.

I also wonder if this is why it’s called “Plants” and hasn’t just been launched under Deliciously Ella. When they launched their deli with meat they called it MAE (Matt obviously had to come first in the name 🙄), and I wonder if this is the same thing… to avoid a backlash with the DE brand about how much of a movement away from the original brand it is.

For anyone interested, this is the podcast he did with his brother:

Reactions: 5
I’m currently reading Ultra-Processed People by Dr Chris Van Tulleken. It’s such a fascinating read. He also did a podcast with his brother on ultra-processed foods (UPF). By definition, according to his book and research, Plants food is ultra-processed, because it contains at the very least plant concentrates, and dried potatoes and things.

I wonder, if the conversation around UPF, grows in momentum, if she will regret handing over her brand and business to someone who didn’t hold her values.

I also wonder if this is why it’s called “Plants” and hasn’t just been launched under Deliciously Ella. When they launched their deli with meat they called it MAE (Matt obviously had to come first in the name 🙄), and I wonder if this is the same thing… to avoid a backlash with the DE brand about how much of a movement away from the original brand it is.

Dr Chris has a point about the prevalence of UPFs, but I read the article his wife wrote about his new food 'journey' and frankly he sounds like a tedious knob who has gaslighted his family into complying with his orthorexia.

• Haha
  • Wow
Dr Chris has a point about the prevalence of UPFs, but I read the article his wife wrote about his new food 'journey' and frankly he sounds like a tedious knob who has gaslighted his family into complying with his orthorexia.
Hahaha I haven’t read that 😂 He is a bit of a knob tbf, doesn’t make the podcast and book any less interesting though.

I remember seeing a programme on the BBC a while ago he did where they showed UPF alters your brain, so I imagine he’s now very anxious about letting his kids eat it?

The whole plants thing was for Waitrose. Basically they made a deal that DE will develop the products, Waitrose will handle the rest. I bet they are regretting it after seeing the reviews

Reactions: 3
Hahaha I haven’t read that 😂 He is a bit of a knob tbf, doesn’t make the podcast and book any less interesting though.

I remember seeing a programme on the BBC a while ago he did where they showed UPF alters your brain, so I imagine he’s now very anxious about letting his kids eat it?
His wife said that she cooked a ready made lasagne after a long hard day working and picking up the kids, he sat down, having done nothing, and refused to eat it and lectured them all on the ingredients. She says their kids don't like chicken nuggets anymore, probably because their dad rants at them for eating them.

I'm sure UPFs are bad for the brain but eating disorders and a dad who is a massive louse probably are too. Sorry, it really rubbed me up the wrong way if you can't tell 😅

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.