Deliciously Ella #2 Matt was the best birthing partner, feeding me coconut water and peanut butter

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They don't allow their staff to eat meat? But didn't they serve meat and fish in the deli at one point? I seem to remember reading that. Maybe I've got that wrong. I'm sure 'Matthew' still ate meat not so long ago too.
Yes, that's true. when they opened they served organic chicken to "get people through the door".

One review:

Severe presenteeism in the office
Lack of reward and credit where credit is due Poor (or lack thereof) business forecasting and planning
Chaotic, stressful atmosphere
Overstretched workforce
Absence of benefits and regard for team wellbeing

Another:

When we were working in the office (pre covid) we weren't allowed to eat meat - if we had a chicken sandwich we had to leave! Management pushed a few people out of the business and were dishonest with their team. Not enough credit given where credit is due.

Another:

Chaotic mismanagement Aggressive culture Presenteeism important - people celebrated for being the last in the office No thought for staff welfare No thanks No bonuses despite +18% growth
Thanks for sharing these.

It is ironic that their focus is "wellness" and their employees complain about a lack of consideration for their wellbeing !!!

Reactions: 7
A poster has mentioned it is in the staff handbook, which I assume are handed out as soon as you start working in the company. If you were to read it and not agree with what it says, you can always resign before the trial period is over.
Yes but imagine you get a job and then you find out you can’t eat meat. You probably won’t resign over this but it does create a weird atmosphere imho

Reactions: 6
Yes but imagine you get a job and then you find out you can’t eat meat. You probably won’t resign over this but it does create a weird atmosphere imho
And you're totally right. However, I don't really see what the fuzz is about. Let me expain myself: Ella and the company catter for a very specific public, ie vegans, vegetarians, plant-based diets. I believe Ella used to/does describe herself as plant-based. So, if you think about it, it is not THAT unreasonable for them to have 0 tolerance regarding meat and dairy during working hours. specially if you've been warned.

Reactions: 6
And you're totally right. However, I don't really see what the fuzz is about. Let me expain myself: Ella and the company catter for a very specific public, ie vegans, vegetarians, plant-based diets. I believe Ella used to/does describe herself as plant-based. So, if you think about it, it is not THAT unreasonable for them to have 0 tolerance regarding meat and dairy during working hours. specially if you've been warned.
They could put it in the job description. Not as a requirement (so not as a requirement for candidates to be vegetarian/vegan/plant-based) but in the blurb with information about the company, eg something like "we don't tolerate meat to be eaten / consumed on our premises" or something like that.

Reactions: 1
Yeah it would be really crappy of them not to mention it until you start. People put a lot of hard work into getting a job and someone might have resigned from somewhere else to work for them.

Reactions: 3
I’m sure people can get through a working day without eating meat, it’s not a big ask when it’s a plant based company. Everything else however sounds like a toxic work environment.

Reactions: 15
Yeh exactly, and it is not like it is an allergy issue which would be justified. I have worked in Muslim run places and they would have never said anything about me eating pork, for example

Reactions: 1
Her brand and company is just becoming really unpleasant and annoying.
Have you seen her complaining about being woken up at 5ish by Matt's phone. You know because he is the ceo guuuuuyz in case you did not know 🙄🙄 and she struggles because kids and blaaaa blaaa blaaaa but she tries to be present and feel the gratitude and meditate...stop👏whining 👏woman! You are doing it for months ffs. I just can't sorry...so irrelevant and privileged 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 12
I’m sure people can get through a working day without eating meat, it’s not a big ask when it’s a plant based company. Everything else however sounds like a toxic work environment.
Yes and no. Imagine you have other food related restrictions. For example I HAVE TO eat gluten free food. So I am already fairly limited in what I can eat. Not even allowing something like a chicken sandwich is ridiculous. I understand how bringing in a whole roast chicken would be frowned upon…

Reactions: 4
Yes and no. Imagine you have other food related restrictions. For example I HAVE TO eat gluten free food. So I am already fairly limited in what I can eat. Not even allowing something like a chicken sandwich is ridiculous. I understand how bringing in a whole roast chicken would be frowned upon…
Or bringing in a roast pig ;)

The deli did sell meat at first and she had a hugggggeeeee backlash. A few months later it was gone, but she never said it publicly, it was just quietly taken off the menu. The reason she gave at the time was because it was the “Mae Deli” not Deliciously Ella and she wanted to create somewhere that her followers could also bring their boyfriends because healthy eating is for everyone 🙄 (But yes, Matt instantly understood the ethos of the brand 🙃).

Regarding not eating meat in their office… it’s a tough one. I imagine they underpay staff the market value and try to attract younger people who buy into the brand. I don’t think it’s a huge ask to say no meat in the office… it’s a vegan brand after all. However it doesn’t really fit in with the whole “you don’t need to be veggie, you just need to eat more veg” thing she tries to portray.

Reactions: 4
The deli did sell meat at first and she had a hugggggeeeee backlash. A few months later it was gone, but she never said it publicly, it was just quietly taken off the menu. The reason she gave at the time was because it was the “Mae Deli” not Deliciously Ella and she wanted to create somewhere that her followers could also bring their boyfriends because healthy eating is for everyone 🙄 (But yes, Matt instantly understood the ethos of the brand 🙃).

Regarding not eating meat in their office… it’s a tough one. I imagine they underpay staff the market value and try to attract younger people who buy into the brand. I don’t think it’s a huge ask to say no meat in the office… it’s a vegan brand after all. However it doesn’t really fit in with the whole “you don’t need to be veggie, you just need to eat more veg” thing she tries to portray.
Imagine being underpaid and then not being able to eat what you want. I would imagine some of the staff/interns still lived at home. Imagine taking in the leftovers of dinner from your family meal only to be told you couldn't eat it at work?

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Imagine being underpaid and then not being able to eat what you want. I would imagine some of the staff/interns still lived at home. Imagine taking in the leftovers of dinner from your family meal only to be told you couldn't eat it at work?
This! I’m sorry but eating a proper balanced vegan diet is expensive af and time consuming as well. She is the proof of this. Avocado is not cheap, nor is it environmentally friendly and I have to say, her skin is dull, her hair is getting thinner and thinner and her mental health seems to be going down the drain too. All sings of being malnourished. So all that healthy living does nothing for her.

Reactions: 14
Yeh exactly, and it is not like it is an allergy issue which would be justified. I have worked in Muslim run places and they would have never said anything about me eating pork, for example
Maybe they wouldn't but there's this thing called respect (not saying you are disrespectful, btw). Having the oportunity to eat anything else, why would you even think about eating pork in your workspace which is run by a Muslim?

This! I’m sorry but eating a proper balanced vegan diet is expensive af and time consuming as well. She is the proof of this. Avocado is not cheap, nor is it environmentally friendly and I have to say, her skin is dull, her hair is getting thinner and thinner and her mental health seems to be going down the drain too. All sings of being malnourished. So all that healthy living does nothing for her.
I think you are mixing things up a bit. We're talking about they not allowing to eat meat at the office, which would be (probably) during lunch. You can still have a perfectly balanced diet if you skip meat at lunchtime. Another thing is whether you are inclined to put the effort in it, but there is nothing wrong about not having meat at every meal. If this is about protein, you can get it from plenty of other plant-based sources.
As someone said, they are a vegan/plant-based company so it is they prerrogative to set these rules.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Imagine working for a wellness brand where they work you into the ground, employ bullies (and ignore their behaviour) and seem to have no issue with a 50% staff turnover

Reactions: 11
Maybe they wouldn't but there's this thing called respect (not saying you are disrespectful, btw). Having the oportunity to eat anything else, why would you even think about eating pork in your workspace which is run by a Muslim?

I think you are mixing things up a bit. We're talking about they not allowing to eat meat at the office, which would be (probably) during lunch. You can still have a perfectly balanced diet if you skip meat at lunchtime. Another thing is whether you are inclined to put the effort in it, but there is nothing wrong about not having meat at every meal. If this is about protein, you can get it from plenty of other plant-based sources.
As someone said, they are a vegan/plant-based company so it is they prerrogative to set these rules.
Because they have hired me to do a job, what I eat shouldn't impact on them. By this rationale I should have also worn a hijab

• Angry
Reactions: 9
So just to clarify the food situation: let’s say I want to eat a chicken sandwich because I have leftover chicken and because I do not want to buy anything else for lunch and/or simply because that is what I WANT to eat. A chicken sandwich does not creat mess, it’s not going to make the entire office/break area smell of my food and so on. However that is not allowed. But I can bring in a vegan dish made with cabbage and onion or a curry that will make the whole place smell of my food?
and yes you wont be malnourished because you don’t have meat in one meal, heck we shouldn’t even eat meat every day to be fair.
my only point here: a blanket ban on meat does not fit with anything Ella preaches online… also it makes 0 sense since both her and CEO Matthew wear leather so it’s not even like they are an actual vegan brand/vegan people

Reactions: 10
That's just simply not true. Also not all of us sit and eat avocados every day lmao. Not to go too off topic but most people aren't vegan for health reasons and we're all fine. It's generally people like Ella who are borderline orthorexic who have issues, and that's not the veganism that's the need to control and constantly look for the "healthiest" thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
That's just simply not true. Also not all of us sit and eat avocados every day lmao. Not to go too off topic but most people aren't vegan for health reasons and we're all fine. It's generally people like Ella who are borderline orthorexic who have issues, and that's not the veganism that's the need to control and constantly look for the "healthiest" thing.
Whatever she is, she is definitely not doing any good as the “ambassador” of plant based diets…

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.