Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BringingReality

I’m new to this thread but thought I’d post because I’m so so glad I finally found somewhere to see what people really think, and that I’m not alone.

I‘ve been following Ella for a good 7 years now, when I first became Vegetarian. I found her recipes to be easy to follow etc, and visited the Deli a few times. However, slowly over the years, her brand has just changed for the worse. It’s become more corporate, thanks to Matt, and drifted away from the original message of making vegetables ‘cool’ and instead Ella has just slowly come across as all the more privileged, and never ever transparent about just how privileged she really is.

Firstly, I have always been supportive of her new ventures and products, visiting the delis or buying the new soups etc. But oh my god, some of the products on the supermarkets shelves are so overpriced for what they are. The new soups are just grim. Not a single grain of salt seems to have touched the recipe. They’re bland and just have no imagination or flavour. The new cooking sauces? I thought the brand was all about using fresh ingredients and making food from scratch to see exactly what goes in your food. And now they‘re selling their souls to the corporate machine to make manufactured garbage, selling it like it’s a quality, wholesome item.

Don’t get me started about ’Plants by DE’. It’s an absolute joke. I went there with a friend and we ended up paying £80 for cold and undercooked vegetables dressed up like some psyuedo-Michelin star bollocks, including £5 spent on the worst chips I have ever tried in my life. They also overcharged us on the bill which we asked them to take off. ‘Plants‘ is a far cry from the original deli, which was more wholesome, inviting and less elitist. It was also affordable, and the food wasn’t pretentious. The brand is clearly trying to push away the less middle-class and lower income households that could once afford the deli and replace with rich trust fund customers like Ella herself.

I always thought it was strange that her Instagram stories of May and Skye were muted, but it’s obvious that she’s trying to hide the live in Nanny. Ella needs to be transparent about her wealth, privalige, and how life is probably much easier for her as a rich, white, vegan who can afford luxuries in life such as a wrist dripping with Van Cleef, or a live in Nanny. There are people out there who can’t afford to be Vegan, or have a nanny, which Ella seems to constantly just be unaware of, in terms of what she puts out in the public eye.

I know this is a long post, but I’m just sick and tired of the hypocrisy and the direction of the brand. If you want good recipes, from a more humble perspective, as well as from someone who knows what they’re talking about as a dietician, try Pick Up Limes.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

Yel

Chatty Member
Thread title by Ella herself.

Recap of the last thread:

She works so so hard, popping into work when she wants to while the nannies look after the children. Unable to go a day without posting something like “we work every hour we can”, “it has to be early in this house” or something else about how non stop they work.
0A922C83-DBCF-4751-A428-9AAA5696C0C4.png

Deliciously Ella is now a family business; whatever that means when she's part of the Sainsbury multi billion dynasty family with her mum being Camilla Davan Sainsbury, her dad is former politician Shaun Woodward and her husband is an investment banker who's also a well connected son of a prominent politician (Tessa Jowell) and corporate lawer (David Mills) who was involved in scandals while working for Silvio Berlusconi.
Mills said the prospect of borrowing money from the bank to buy back full control of the brand had been 'daunting'

Both of Ella Woodward Mills parents were listed several times in Jeffrey Epstein's little black book of contacts. No comment has been made yet by them.
Shaun & Camilla Woodward is listed in Epstein's black book on page 58.
Epstein recorded 4 phone numbers and 1 address under this name.
1635856439097.png

Please add anything else I missed

• Wow
Reactions: 30

ahstopcmeregway

The majority of Glassdoor reviews are quite negative:

" Poor (or lack thereof) business forecasting and planning"

"Chaotic, stressful atmosphere"

" When we were working in the office (pre covid) we weren't allowed to eat meat - if we had a chicken sandwich we had to leave! Management pushed a few people out of the business and were dishonest with their team. Not enough credit given where credit is due."

"Incredibly poorly managed and unprofessional (from the top - not the store managers). We found out via an instagram post that Ella Mills had decided to close down the cafe. One member of staff had to wait for over an hour outside in the cold with a large food delivery because they could not access the site as no one had been told that she had shut it down. I had only been hired a few days prior and never got paid for the work that I had done. There was also never an apology for the terrible communication."

" Severe presenteeism in the office"

" No bonuses despite +18% growth"

• Wow
Reactions: 28

User41137788

I used to work for them. They don’t care about the wellness of their staff. People are celebrated for staying in the office the latest.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 25

User41137788

On the question about whether they give to charity, note that all answers are in the past tense. They don’t do anything current (pulled away quietly from the Mental Health Foundation and Trussell Trust). And the only reason they gave loads of snacks to the NHS in covid is because they were going out of date and they couldn’t sell them.

There’s not a charitable bone in that business’ body.

I can’t stand their lies. Lies about how much the business is worth. Lies about how well it’s performing. Lies about charity.

• Wow

User41137788

They have no clue about how normal people live. Both totally clueless.

Matt was furious when the council tenants above their restaurant challenged their late night licence application. He was saying that they pay barely anything to live in £2m flats with the insinuation that they shouldn’t have a right to oppose their restaurant’s plans.

• Wow
  • Sad

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
Mediocre Matthew really annoys me. What has he actually done except run a woman’s successful brand into the ground?

Ella: builds a name on home cooked, minimal ingredient whole recipes and mindful lifestyles.

Matt: cool, let's build on this with a range of excessively expensive processed convenience foods for people who also work 26 hours a day!

Just another useless man who needs taking down several pegs.

Reactions: 23

blueblueindigo

exactly, the whole vegan is better for the environment argument needs to be examined more imo, yes meat is polluting, but if you are buying almond milk/avocados from drought-ridden Florida etc.... and that is even without considering travel of all of these kind of influencers
- Veganism is primarily an ethical boycott against the exploitation of animals. The environmental impacts though are widely known. One recent study found that 57% of green house gas emissions in food production, derive from animal based foods, with cow's flesh and milk being the highest polluters. For plant-based foods, rice scores highest, and bring the total to 29% of food production emissions.

- The UN has plenty of reports detailing the environmental impact of animal agriculture, in terms of land and water use, alongside emissions.

- Non-vegans consume almonds and avocado's too, just as they do with all of the imported, plastic wrapped plant foods that the UK is reliant on. If anything, hopefully Brexit has highlighted just how lacking in self sufficiency the UK actually is when it comes to both animal and plant based foods. Everyone lives within the same system, vegans remove themselves from one area of consumption, but to live a completely locally and ethically grown & harvested , zero waste lifestyle is a major shift that is out of range for a lot of people. The UK could for example, move away from dairy milk, and instead promote domestically grown pea and oat based milk. It's quite simple to make the latter yourself though, and no non-recyclable cartons either.

I feel people hold vegans to these extreme, perfect standards, or try and 'gotcha' with a few 'trendy' food products like almonds and avocados rather than look at the wider picture, and their own consumption. Why not care about where the tomatoes are from, the carbon needed to transport them to the UK, the people often exploited in harvesting them, all the leftover plastic waste. Ditto the concern over child labour in cacao and coffee production. The environmental impact of deforesting lands just so cows can be raised?

• Heart

vanja

She tells the story of meeting Matt as if it's a whirlwind romance ("we moved in together within a week") but it's just... not romantic or necessary to intertwine your life with someone so quickly after meeting them. It just makes him sound like a predatory user - especially given how much he has fully inserted himself into her business and essentially taken it over entirely. Wake up, honey! Oof.

90sGal

Chatty Member
This is why she’s completely unqualified to be in the position she’s in 🤷🏻‍♀️Like others have said, she made so many nutritional claims and they all just conveniently disappeared from her earlier website with no accountability admitting she shouldn’t have been advising people or giving any guidance whatsoever.
She should do proper research for her podcast and understand that not all professionals would agree with that theory. But that would involve real work and not just swanning around telling everyone how busy she is.
This has been the challenge the last few years.

Because someone does something and it works for them they immediately feel they have some expert knowledge that others must hear about. Look at all the fitness routines, apps, cookbooks and parenting gurus who have sprung up.

What has worked for them works for THEM.

I dont need Holly Willoughby or Rosie Gibbons or Stacey Soloman or even Ella to tell me what to eat or how to parent. They are not experts.

Ella in addition is a middle class cook. Who the hell needs to live off peanut butter and tahini?!

Ella started off researching for her own health needs. She became the expert of her own health. That does not a guru make!

Rant over 🤪

• Heart

SarahN

VIP Member
I’ve just unsubscribed from everything to do with her : app (and asked my money back), Instagram, email subscription. The last straw for me were those stupid affirmations when we have had some insider knowledge of how toxic DE is for their employees. Building your clients self worth while destroying that of those who contribute to creating and improving your brand is a big deal breaker for me (bullied in work, complete break down, had to take a year off to recover enough to get back out there again but still not 100% recovered). Sorry for bringing my personal circumstances into the mix, but her hypocrisy has really triggered me.

• Heart

Meg78

VIP Member
It’s always made me laugh that every holiday he brings business self-help books to read on his sunlounger, just to make sure that all the other holidaymakers know he is a Super Serious Boss 🤦🏻‍♀️😂

• Haha

Silverback

VIP Member
One thing I’ve always thought about Ella is that her brand and blog took off because of her looks. Hear me out!

It’s the same with all of these wellness gurus- they’re all thin, pretty with nice hair etc. Sadly with the society we live in I doubt very much that if a 50 year old size 14 average-looking woman started a blog about how eating like Ella does cured her illness it would result in books and restaurants etc etc.
Ella’s brand originally took off because she looked like a model and like all marketing the world over people want to buy into something with the subconscious belief that theyll look like that too.

Reactions: 22

User41137788

‘Hybrid work model’, i.e. we force everyone into the office on Friday because we don’t trust you.

Free ‘Feel Better’ app access, but you’ll be working insane hours so won’t have the time or capacity to use it

‘Team Events’, which means you can come and watch our live podcast in your own time; where Matt talks about how he has breakfast with his daughters and puts them to bed every day as a non negotiable, but doesn’t let his staff do the same

‘Bike to Work scheme’, but there’s nowhere to leave your bike in the office

‘We need someone with a hard working and flexible approach to work’, because you’ll be working in your evenings, weekends and holidays. You’ll get messages constantly.

‘About you: you’ll have excellent attention to detail’, which we’ve just shown we don’t have by asking for a Supply Chain qualification for a Category Manager role

And no sign of anything to do with salary/reward. Because the last thing they would ever do is thank you.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 22